Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well. Planet destroying super weapons are a rather extreme means of applying artificial selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Annakin fell because thew only person he felt comfortable being himself around and actually confiding in happened to be the Dark Lord of the Sith. The Jedi code does not make for a particularly healthy mental environment, every time he goes to a master for advice on any issue he basically get told off and sent to go meditate in a corner.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is no indication in the Original trilogy that Vader and Palpatine aren't just corrupted Jedi. They are never called Sith, the word never gets spoken. We have a lot of preconceptions about Star Wars from the EU but the original movies left everything that came before it pretty open to interpretation, especially considering our main source for history in them comes from a self admitted certain point of view.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Most revolutions have purges in the aftermath of success. What you get with this is something of a Jedi civil war that starts over ideology and that ends with the Emperor in power with his Right hand man and personal executioner Vader cleaning up the trouble makers in the aftermath of the coup, which, as was generally thought to be the case before the prequels came out, a good deal more than just 18 years prior to the start of New Hope. Just fantasy booking now, but history was wide open before the prequels came out.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That is a perfectly valid reading of the situation post prequels, but not the only possible one or even the best one by a long shot before them. We have what we have now, and as a history, it isn't really even all that bad, where it's bad is in how it was told.

Without the prequels or the EU, we don't have a Jedi Code, we dont know how they acted at all, all we have is Dark side bad. There is no mention of a light side, no indicator Jedi were anything but protectors of the Galaxy for a thousand generations. For all we knew, what they protected the galaxy from could have been mostly evil Jedi. Star Wars was all potential once upon a time, and as with anything, the more you pin down what it is, the more you lessen it's potential. Not a good or a bad thing really, but imagination plays better with loose lego's than with a model kit.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 4, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you read "The Making of Star Wars" you get the impression that very little of what ended up in the prequels didn't have some genesis in Lucas' original scripts and drafts, though I have heard that much of that book's supposed historical content is questionable.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

She died when Leia was "Very young" . She was "Sad, mostly".

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That's why my own personal alternate rpg timeline was taken and modified from the alternate ending of the old PS2 Revenge of the Sith game. After beating Obi Wan at the lava planet, a healthy and ambitious newly minted Darth Vader bides his time and eventually kills and replaces Palpatine as Emperor. He raises his own kids who grow up to idolize him, in the case of Luke, and despise him, in the case of Leia, who seeks out allies and helps form a rebel alliance. This sets up the clash between Leia, Jedi knight trained by the exile Yoda and the Rebel alliance against the Empire ruled by Darth Vader and his apprentice Luke.

Alternatively, both Children become his apprentice and it leaves open the whole business of toppling the Empire to whoever the players create.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 12, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Even taking away the issue of jurisdiction, Qui Gon was not there to free the slaves, he was there in the middle of a very important mission. He already went off track a bit just to get the boy, going off track further to essentially lead a slave revolt is a bit further out of the mission perimeters, his time there was time sensitive even aside from the fact that they wouldn't even be there except for damaged parts on the ship.

Now if you imagine Jedi as D&D Paladins, who are not allowed to overlook evil, then there is an issue. But that was always a bad reading of Jedi, not to mention Paladins, as they would never get anything done, what with having to constantly go off track from whatever they were doing to right wrongs.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, his life ended while he was insisting that he had to kill an old man rather than bring him in for justice because he was too dangerous, sounds to me like he couldn't quite control his anger as much as he would like others to believe.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Vader constantly loses his cool and kills subordinates for failures, he just comes across better because of his voice. Hell he choked a guy just for needling him a bit in New Hope and had to be restrained by Tarkin.

Vader is a voice actor away from being Homer Simpson as to how he handles stress.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Vader thinks he's cool, but he loses it whenever things go wrong. He poses, dramatically flourishes his cape, makes witty one liners, and turns to violence or walks off in a huff as soon as things don't go his way.

Edit: Which is fine because he's a republic serial villain.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I could almost read it as a way of of defining the results of living one way or the other. The violence and power grabbing inherent to dark side philosophy often leads to short term power but also tends to result in the adherents of that philosophy eating their own. While the philosophy of the Jedi is more peaceful and likely to result in longer lives and more stable situations.

See for example the Republic which stood for a thousand generations versus the Empire which comparatively is a flash in the pan.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Even when there are only two of them they seem ready to throw the other one to the wolves at a moments notice. One of the key strengths of the force's better half is the ability to rely on ones friends.

Can anyone think of a better way to say it than "Light Side of the Force"? Dark side works fine but Light Side just sounds off.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 8, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

jivjov posted:

I've never understood the resistance to the term "light side" Its the obvious inverse of 'dark side', and Episode VII keeps harping on about light as the antithesis to darkness. At least for me, reducing it to "The Force, oh and the Dark Side" just seemed off.

For me, it has nothing to do with philosophy or canon, just with the way the words sound. There is no gravitas to "Light Side" it doesn't sound serious enough, I feel they would have picked a more, I don't know, less oppositional word maybe. Light side feels like they are defining themselves as the opposite of the Dark Side rather than as the standard.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't think they ever say "light side" in the movies. Just The Force and the Dark Side. Not 100% sure of the prequels but those don't count anyway so

Not in the originals if I remember right, as close as it gets is when Luke asks Yoda something along the lines of "How am I supposed to know the good side from the bad?"

I agree on your other point too, I have long ago decided that the only part of any series that matters is the part I like.

Edit: If I have to share with others though, like in a game for instance, canon can be negotiable. No point in being an rear end about it.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 8, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Brothers and Sithsters.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What the players are telling me when they attack Darth Vader, is that they want the next couple of sessions to be about their daring escape from captivity on The Death Star/Super Star Destroyer/Cloud City.

"We would be honored if you would join us."

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 12, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He doesn't even need to be unbeatable. The only time he isn't surrounded by storm troopers is when he specifically goes out of his way to deal with things alone. He basically has an endless amount of minions at his beck and call. It's like trying to assassinate the head of a powerful state who also happens to be one of the greatest Kung Fu masters who ever lived.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 12, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Also Cthulhu is beatable. His weakness is sailboats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Sort of aiming for a land vehicle mostly so that they can't just be like 'okay well we take off high into the sky to escape the blasters'. Also partially because I think it makes more sense for them to be land bound for possibly weeks/months if they don't have even a fixer-upper spaceship.

Are there stats for the skiffs from the Sarlac scene in Return of the Jedi?