Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Super86 posted:

Guys, I have a question about the FFG system.

I've just read the EotE rulebook, and, to me, it seems far slower and more complex than the WEG D6 system, especially due to how dice rolls work (compare attribute AND skill, plus talents, build the pool, upgrade dices, add more dices of different colors, roll them all. Count the symbols. Interpret the result. Think what advantages/disadvantages mean in this particular context. Discuss what players want to do with them. If you got a triumph/despair, think what that means and discuss that too. Then solve all of it. etc, etc, etc). The system encourages over-thinking a lot of stuff that detracts from the pace, in my humble opinion.

In comparison D6 system was so streamlined and simple, yet allowed enough depth when needed. It sems far more "star-warsy" to me; Especially with an inexperienced group of players.

Do you think I am right? Or is there something obvious I'm missing here?

The group I recently played with, 3 of them had never played EotE before and within about 4-5 rolls, everyone had it figured out. Once you know to remove dice that are blank and canceled, figuring out the roll is much easier.

And half the fun of the game is figuring out what advantage/thread/despair/triumph can do to make the game more exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Judgement posted:

Every combat scenario I have run or been a player in has lasted maybe two rounds, three tops, going slightly longer if it's a big setpiece encounter. Building and interpreting the dice pools barely takes any time at all, you'll generally know exactly what dice you're rolling before your turn ever comes around with variables usually being the result of previous rolls.

The only thing that I ever saw really making things take appreciably longer than other systems is when indecisive (or inattentive) players spend a lot of time trying to decide what to do with narrative effects like Advantages or Triumphs, and there's still a handy "just do this if you can't think of anything else" table for generic results if you want to speed things along. Personally I like my players to think up ridiculous things on the fly, but it's not always for everyone.

Yeah. There are lists out there, official and unofficial, that give you ideas to use. If you can't think of anything within, I dunno, five seconds, just give the next slot a blue or black die and move on.You don't have to come up with a narrative description for every single little thing if you don't want to.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Should've just used the EotE dice :colbert:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a list anywhere of all the available races and careers? With rules included would be nice but the book they're located in would also be fine.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wish RPGs, especially near the end of product like this, would put out books that are a collection of all the usable Species, Careers and equipment. It probably wouldn't sell well enough to justify it and would also not go well with people that bought all the previous books for character options.

I can dream, at least.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

What do you mean, only the player?

At character creation only, the player can.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

For a theoretical Edge game, is there any reason not to offer all the careers from Edge and AoR? Same for Species but I imagine there's much less of a difference there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cool, I could just change some talents around if it became an issue.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Seven years is a pretty long time in RPGs these days. I can't imagine they wouldn't have anything cooking but also can't imagine what's left besides settings books.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't believe there is a Genesys specific thread still so; are there any decent Space Fantasy sources for Genesys? I found this on DTRPG and I'm wondering if there is more.

It's likely a long time off but the campaign would be a continuation of one where the game ended with the PCs on a cracked and dying planet after being transported from their own, the eventual goal being to find their way home despite not knowing anything about its location in the space fantasy galaxy.

Mostly I just don't want to have to do a bunch of designs for "typical" fantasy races plus new ones, and a bunch of new classes/talent trees.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Non-Genesys question: what's the deal with the Saga System of Star Wars?

As I think about 13th Age and D&D 4E and Shadow of the Demon Lord and so on, I keep finding Saga getting mentioned. I looked it over in a bookstore once and it looked liked warmed over 3.X.

What was I missing? What did it do right? What made Saga so great?

It was done with a pretty much complete version of D&D 3.5, with a smattering of alpha/beta 4e rules. The book itself was pretty slick, too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's been asked multiple times but I didn't write it down, which of the published FFG Star Wars adventures are good? Also are they still printing books so availability is fine, or is supply drying up?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

Are there any specializations that unlock the Lightsaber skill outside of the FaD and Jedi ones? One of my players is looking to play a droid that was Order property before the Clone Wars and had been used for lightsaber training for Padawans. I suppose he could simply take one of the FaD specs with the understanding that the Force talents and Rating are useless to him, but that seems anti-fun.

Just let them have the skill, replace a different one they already have if you want. I can't imagine this would break anything beyond having a lightsaber at all.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wonder if they'll be able to (if even interested) publish the books in PDF format now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any non-FFG published adventures that are good? I have a much harder time thinking up stuff for this game than fantasy games.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've always hated the EotE intro adventure where the PCs start in a cantina hiding from Temp's goons. I love starting games in media res but that start is boring and I hate it. Is there a modified version out there with a better opener? The rest of the adventure is mostly fine.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It would be a group of people that have never used the system before, besides a couple people that played the (badly run) starter adventure for the L5R RPG which was different enough. I dunno, I need to think about it more I guess.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Couple players newish to RPGs but we've been playing a 5e game for about six months and they're getting into the roleplaying part. I have all the pregen folios but I'm considering letting them build their own. Just Edge careers but probably a wide selection of species because they love playing non-humans.

Thanks for those ideas, definitely things to consider!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there an Etsy or other shop that sells more character tokens? I have a bunch from the beginner games and the ability to make my own but I'd rather someone else do the work and I just pay them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Covok posted:

We ever getting any more books? I am an addict and need a Star Wars RPG dopamine hit.

I just want a book with all the player options collected like species, careers, specializations, equipment, etc.

It's not going to happen but I can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hard to write an RPG when asmodee sold all your furniture and computers to make a quick buck