Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Drone posted:

Looks like I'm going to be GM'ing EotE for the first time this Friday for some strangers on the internet. I've never GM'd before, and really don't have any non-PbP experience in general. Anyone have any tips?

For this first session I want to run it as a group test -- testing myself as a GM, and testing the chemistry of a group of strangers on Skype -- so I want a one-off adventure. If things go well, I'll start off a campaign with the following session, allowing those who stuck around to carry their characters over. Which published module would work best for this as a one-off, or should I try to homebrew something basic in the next couple days?

As someone who also just started GMing - and with a group who have never used the system before - I'd really recommend the Beginner's Box adventure. It exposes the PCs to a little bit of everything (combat, social stuff, space combat) and introduces the mechanics little bits at a time. It's flexible, too, so the adventure is open to using combat, stealth, etc., if that's how your group wants to play. They get a bitchin' modified YT-1300 for their efforts and you can set them up with a recurring nemesis if they don't kill him. If your group clicks, you can then transition into the Long Arm of the Hutt adventure that's available online, a three-part adventure that I'm running now while I write original stuff.

If you wish to run your own adventure, follow the core rulebook's guidelines: have at least one combat encounter, a social encounter, a space encounter... it'll give you the chance to scope out your group.

In other news, I came up with a cool adventure hook the other night that I'm going to write for my group. It's not exactly canon afaik but I'm going to have an Alliance operative approach the group (possibly without naming himself as such), offering them payment for scouting a planet's feasibility to support a base. That planet? An icy wasteland in the outer rim, the sixth planet of the Hoth system. Of course, something will go tits up on their approach and the group will crash-land, then have to survive a few days on Hoth while they can fix up their ship. I'm thinking this adventure will be able to show off some skills that haven't had much use yet (like Survival), and be able to have them fight a Wampa and ride some Tauntauns while giving them the chance to visit Hoth without Rebellion baggage just yet.

Of course, based on the PC's findings, the end of the adventure will presumably be their contact deciding that Hoth just isn't suitable at the moment, but thank you anyway :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The only annoyance with the official crawl generator is the weird gap it creates in the music. Also it seems to screw up with me when I run it fullscreen. Still, it's a doddle to use at least.