Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually I think the Trade Federation, Techno Union, Banking Clans etc would make an excellent starting point to reintegrate the Corporate Sector Authority into the new canon.

I really like the idea of the corporate apparatus of the CIS becoming the CSA, while the more grass-roots stuff folds into the nascent Rebel Alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Kinda describes Anakin at times during the clone wars series.

Or Kylo Ren.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Fuzz posted:

I want to do something crazy.

I want to run an Episode VI-VII Roll 20 game. Non movie characters.

Thoughts?

Depending on the time, I could be interested.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm interested in any cool new ships/species/sidebars. What's the Mandalorian section like? A separate chapter?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Mister Bates posted:

Myself and some of my friends watched Rogue One, and that combined with reading DCB's old posts in the Catpiss thread has made me really want to run a campaign following a rebel cell in some backwater sector of space. It's probably going to be very Force-lite and have a heavy 'guerrilla conflict' sort of theme, a bit less on the pulpy high-adventure. I've got some people who would be down, enough for a group, but I have no idea which system to use. Is this generally considered to be the best SW-themed game system out there? Any advice for running a campaign in it?

e: also, which books would you recommend? The sheer number of supplements for this game is kind of intimidating

So this system is great, and you want to look at the Age of Rebellion line. For starting out, you can go with the beginner box or get the core rulebook and some of the dice. I haven't played the adventure in the beginner box, so can't comment on its quality, and it looks like you'll be running your own campaign anyways. All you really need is the core rulebook; the supplement books are just gravy. I highly recommend this fan-made character generator. It has everything there, except for detailed text from the books, which you can enter yourself.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Can someone give me good examples of things for slicers to do in combat? Things scattered around for them to she, etc.

Also a few good examples of a combat gimmick for a party would be great. Having trouble thinking of any.

Anything R2 does in the movies or Chopper does in the Rebels TV show. Open/close doors, set off false alarms, turn the gravity on or off, fiddle with the lights, overload powered devices, the possibilities are basically endless.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So, my group has been playing a ton of Fellowship, which rules, and after a short Cyberpunk campaign I think I want to run an AoR based Star Wars Campaign. I blatantly stole a great little mechanic from Fellowship that I thought I'd share here. Basically, instead of the kind of arbitrary xp awards the game defaults to, I'd like to give the players a little more agency and a good incentive to be Big Rebel Heroes a la the show Rebels.

At the end of each session, ask the players as a group each of the following questions. For each Yes answer agreed upon, award the players 5 xp. GM has final say, but should rarely if ever override the players' answers.
* Did we strike a blow against the Empire?
* Did we learn something new and important about at least one of the PCs?
* Did we do something heroic and :krad:?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm mostly curious about the starship creation rules and if they're mostly player facing or if GMs can get some good use from them too.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

jng2058 posted:

They did a better job of that in the old Dark Horse Clone War comic books. Part of Quinlan Vos' whole thing was infiltrating the Seps and finding out that not all of theme were evil...and that many of them had a point. Its one of the reasons he ends up loving off and quitting the Order before Order 66. There was also an arc about a Mon Cal Separatist leader who Palps maneuvers into a Republic trap to keep him from being a thorn in his side post-war. Dude ends up dying to save the rest of his fleet. That sort of thing.

Yeah, the only "new" Clone Wars stuff that leaned into this was the cartoon arc on Umbara, where it had a very Vietnam vibe. Clones were fighting against actual people defending their homes on a decidedly unfriendly planet under incompetent/malicious leadership. Incidentally, it's one of the best parts of the show.

I wish they had done more with that sort of thing and less "funny robot armies". Giving them faces does wonders for the separatists.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm pretty sure they're the Karkarodon(lol that name) and Harch. They were both in the cgi Clone Wars cartoon, appearing as single characters, both of which were moustache-twirling Separatist generals.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I love this system, but the combat definitely needs work (particularly damage/soak scaling and things like autofire/linked) and could be incorporated more cleanly with the rest of the game, and the entire vehicle/starship system needs a looking at. Its inherent "crunchiness" is a draw for me, and I enjoy poring over gear and talent trees even though a slimmer game would probably be "better".

Combat definitely has a sweet spot at the lower skill levels, and I like the lethality in that context, where it encourages players to look for avenues of escape or alternate routes to victory (which feels very Star Wars to me), but the system should do a better job of making that clear. When a character is downed, have it be explicitly narrative: if it's a cool moment for them to be wounded/lose a limb, have the GM spend a DSP and that happens. If it makes more sense for them to flee or just be out of the fight, that happens. And the game should make a party wipe explicitly lead to capture, prompting a Star Warsy escape adventure.

Now that I'm ranting, I think the entire critical system could be scrapped. Have criticals enable the damage from additional successes, instead of them being added by default. That would normalize and lower damage output a bit, particularly damage aimed at the PCs. Also removes those awkward tables.

And autofire should give you access to some kind of suppression without needing a talent.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
If they do a system rehash I bet it wouldn't change much: probably redo a lot of the vehicle system, a couple tweaks here or there, maybe change how crits work to get rid of the d100 tables. And yeah, it's a really good game as it is now, we're going to keep playing regardless.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Are there any resources for a GM new to Foundry for this system? I have the VTT and have successfully imported all my Oggdude stuff but I am now lost.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

alg posted:

just sharing a short demo video I made to show off some features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=418RMk72p0M

Where did you find that rad hyperspace background?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Rad, thank you!

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The big vehicle book, Starships of the Galaxy, sold out within a few months and is the only book I wasn't able to get, I remember it selling on ebay for like $100 within a year of its release.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Saga is an interesting take on the 3.5 formula and has a few cool mechanics that are a preview of 4e but that's about the best I can say for it, the FFG games just do Star Wars infinitely better.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

PantsOptional posted:

Just started a campaign recently and one of the PCs is a Medic, who decided to go a pacifist route. Aside from Assist and the few nonlethal/barely violent weapons in the game (tanglers, repulsor guns), the PC wants to know what else they can do in combat to help out. Jamming stimpacks into people is the obvious route but I feel like it'll get old quick. Thoughts?

They'll have a high intellect which means they could go into Mechanics and Computers which opens up a ton of stuff: hacking doors, rerouting the orders of stormtroopers, breaking big star warsy machinery to create barriers, breaking lights, opening up steam vents, a whole bunch of cool improvisational stuff.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I am about a hair's breadth away from reviving my abandoned campaign about surviving Saw's Partisans rebuilding a local rebellion in the Tion Cluster after Yavin. Andor has me so loving pumped about Star Wars it's kind of unreal.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I do want to mention (for anyone still following the thread) that Edge Studios has actually shipped reprints of the three Beginner Boxes and the dice sets - they're showing up in FLGSs according to reports.

No word yet on new material one way or the other. I for one remain stubbornly hopeful.

I can confirm that the beginner boxes and dice are being reprinted, I saw all of these with Edge branding in my LGS yesterday.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I'd completely forgotten about Edge.

As far as I can tell, this is the first thing they've produced in like 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Jesus, that's grim. I remember thinking "oh, this won't be too bad, they'll come out with some new books in about a year or so" when Edge took over, but clearly they have had other, greater problems if that's all they have produced in the 5 or 6 years since they took over all of FFG's lines.