Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Or let em take on the requisite amount of obligation and pool the difference to buy a helltruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Darius099 posted:

Does anybody know of any resources for running the FFG system in the old republic era?

Anything at all, from old republic ship or gear stats to plot or similar breakdowns, would be helpful. My players want to play Old Republic era pretty bad and I'd like to see if there are any resources before I bust my hump filling in the blanks.

I feel like technology is so static in the setting you could probably get away with just liberal reskinning everything- TIE fighters into Sith Interceptors, Stormtroopers into Sith Troopers, YT-whatever into Dynamic-Class, Z-95 into Liberator, etc. A lot of stuff is functionally identical based on playing through the games, maybe just a bit more emphasis on melee combat and liberal use of corteosis in same, so give your stormSithtroopers all saber-proof vibroswords and call it a day.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The only film characters repped in the tokens are Phasma, the head of the red target armor gangsters, and the junker riding the cyborg dewback.

If you like ace pilots, you can make a token out of my Edge character! He is like Poe but has a special "super-pilot serum."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fuzz posted:

You inhale Booster Blue. It's a type of paint.

Ah. I am used to the icon from the defunct MMO that depicted an auto-injector thing, but that's even better.

And more convenient for a quick huff in the cockpit of a headhunter or whatever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Savidudeosoo posted:

How would you guys stat a Miralukan species for Force and Destiny?

Straight 2s, blind, FR 1 (doesn't stack with any FR granted from taking a career or specialization) free Sense basic power, 90 xp, wt/st 10+.

The "free" FR isn't really gonna imbalance anything in an explicitly F&D game.

E: if anything this is a bit underpowered in an fnd game, add a free rank of discipline or free sense upgrade to taste maybe.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 10, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Out there,wackadoo idea:

Give them permanent nasty Blinded criticale effect (and some bullshit like treat blinded crits as the next step down) and a species trait that lets them commit a force die to see through the force and ignore it...

Then let the FR from species stack with initial FR from careers/specs. So they can free up the other FD and be crazy good with the force out the gate, at the cost of outright blinding themselves to be FR2 until they re-commit.

E:then contrive to staple one of Thrawns dumb force-sink lizards to them and have a laff.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 10, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"Can my character weild TWO vibroknives, one in each hand?"
"Sure. You just upgrade the skill check difficulty by one and can spend advantage to trigger an extra hit."
(immediately after he is dropped into battle a stormtrooper shoots his guy and shakes out a critical hit that cripples one of his arms.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tonight I foisted nascent Force Sensitivity onto a character for Plot Reasons and she had her first run in with a recurring Inquisitor-type character.

"She says something snide about your compassion for your friend as you apply the medpac."
"No, she doesn't get it, I need her on her feet to win this fight."
"Wait, so you're just helping her because she's materially useful to you? She finds this relatable, but not enough to stop trying to kill you with a laser sword."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Is there any general consensus as to what the best all-rounder starting ship is for EotE? I haven't played a new campaign since the beta when you could get the Ghtroc turtleship. Looking at various YT and YV models but I wanted to consult the hivemind.

HELL TRUCCCCKKK

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm giving out about 35 XP a sesh which feels high but we only meet 1-2 times a month and I want them to feel like their mans are getting more powerful.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Drone posted:

Are they minutemen, or are they terrorists?

Well, from a Certain Point of View...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

If you don't play the "Storm" soundtrack from Mad Max Fury Road when you'll do it, you are a monster.

I suggest an alternative strategy, Artoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqLArgCbh70

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Covok posted:

Meant more "force users who use the dark side." Playing one in a game.

I feel about playing Evil Bad Guys in The Star Wars about like I do in any form of pulpy/fantasy style roleplaying: Maybe entertaining for a oneshot/miniseries, but I'd prefer my default campaign mode be Good Guys motivated by something resembling benevolent ends.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

WerrWaaa posted:

Concerning the universal specs from EotE and AoR, Emergent and Exile: Am I correct in assuming that I can just dip into them for a +1 Force Rating and then ignore them the rest of the way? Is that a fair way to spend XP if I want to get to 3-4 Force? Or am I crapping on myself by upping the cost of future careers needlessly?

There is a proviso that says either (I don't have the books in front of me) you can't take the specializations if you already have an FR, or you don't get the FR for taking the specialization if you already have an FR. Pretty sure it's the former. Either way, there's no quick and easy path to upping FR without buying down a tree.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I still want starship stat cards done up like the adversary cards. I would buy 'em all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I am having folks make new characters tonight, but i want to give them some xp during their backstory so they can actually have a few talents, but then they're going through the "Beginner" game, so I don't want to dump 90xp on them, I was thinking 30/45? Thoughts?

I feel like 25 is a good number to give them a couple extra little bennies without overbaking the cake, but go with what works for you. However many their are I'd make it clear that these have to be spent as acquired rather than starting XP. I haven't been running this for super long tho.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

An advantage die for a careful deliberate plan and a disadvantage die for going in half-cocked?

With of course the proviso that half baked plan Bs that somehow work is peak starwar so on a "failure" gove them a thrilling set piece chase or battle because it didn't go smooth bjt they can still pull it off with some daring.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I like atmospheric soundscapes, like busy space city streets or humming space engines, howling ice planet winds. Lots of stuff like that on youtube.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 21, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You'll probably want 2 sets of dice. I recommend picking up at least one beginner box for one set of them if you can get it at a reasonable price, since the little chits and maps are still cool to have. The TFA one even has a cool galaxy map on the reverse of the adventure maps, and you can always keep the scenarios to run as a one shot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Probably cheaper to just get a heap of the WotC commons, and they come prepainted.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I went for breadth over depth and got all three cores. I don't think it was a wrong way to go, since I might want to run with different focuses/eras. Also you get the rules for the broadest range of species. Maddeningly the rules to play a Chewbacca are only in Edge.

If you're pretty sure you're only ever going to run in a narrow idiom though (jedi knights/forcemans, ne'er do wells on the fringes, or soldiers/agents of the rebellion), you can skip the other two.

I do absolutely recommend a starter game. Running the starter adventure helped me get a handle on the dice mechanics, the extra map and tokens are cool, and it gives you another set of dice of which you want at least 2.

Nothing wrong with leaving the splat purchases to your players, since they mainly, (but definitely not exclusively) broaden their options.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm the Jedi looking up acklays in his pokedex.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

E: Disregard!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

System should serve setting and "generic" systems are bad and wrong. I am aware this was adapted from Warhamsters but that's still basically space opera. :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Boardgamegeek has some hires scans of the tokens from WEG's "Star Warriors."

Not your ideal, but I don't know that something like that exists. Maybe just load it up in GIMP and C/P the ships you want? :shrug:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2477219/star-wars-star-warriors?size=original

Some from the Silent Death insert that came in Star Wars Gamer:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/592908/star-wars-silent-death-starfighter-combat-game?size=original

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 30, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Andrast posted:

That's really dumb

Yes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Give me a bunch of Guardian of the Whills background and I'm in.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The generic lightsaber in the other books is basically the statblock one from F+D with a few mods applied, so your "starter" saber as an F&D character is a fair bit shittier.

Works okay in their relative wheelhouses-- in AOR and EOTE a lightsaber is an amazing artefact of a dead religion, totally worthy of being the MacGuffin of a multi-session arc, and the representative example is one that would be used by a somewhat storied Jedi. In F&D it's still important but it's part of your day-to-day that you tinker with and it sorta grows with you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Azran posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but the Unofficial Species Menagerie has stats for one, if that helps.

I wonder which species would a potential new trilogy sourcebook add. Not many notable aliens so far, except for Abednedos and the monkey from Solo I guess?

Whatever Maz is?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Solo, whatever else you think of it, also gives us Coaxium as a macguffin. Probably more valuable to the Alliance and Underworld than the Empire who would have established ironclad supply lines of it to fuel their fleets of countless evil triangles.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I can't imagine a baby maz being cute.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

It would just be a Smooth Maz.

That sounds like a subgenre of jizz music.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My friends have an EotE campaign starting up soon, I think everyone got the bug from the new television program.

I'm gonna make a Verpine tech dude. Not sure where to specialize with him.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

So what's the good strategy with char building? Sink as much starting XP into your attributes because those are much harder to raise?

Not for nothing, the rulebook explicitly very strongly encourages you to do this. Spend any "leftover" XP on talents and skills after you've boosted your stats as much as you can, but IINM the only way to raise stats is at the top teir of career talent trees. So go hog wild maxing them at chargen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope we get a sourcebook for the immediate post-Endor setting of The Mandolorian. It seems perfect for running any of the three core books or mux and match.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Also I have a general question about Force powers. When you roll on the Force die, and it comes up as dark, do you have to then go ahead and give in? I could've swore there was a penalty for using them in this way... maybe Conflict? It seems strange that so many of the faces are dark if you couldn't just resist and choose then not to use whatever power if it was dark.

Spending dark side pips, which you are correct-- generate Conflict, is optional. If you roll 2 force dice and generate say 1 light and 1 dark pip on a Move you could just spend the light pip for the basic effect, or spend both for an enhanced effect you have trained and eat the Conflict.

The dice are more likely to come up with dark pips because that's the quicker, easier, and more seductive path but if you take the long road and add your second and third dice representing being further down the path of the Force, you can more reliably activate powers spending only light pips.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Firstborn posted:

It appears that most characters can't upgrade their Force Rating unless you like.. purchase a specialization with one of the talents, right?

Yeah getting your force rating up takes a while, they put them at the bottom of the talent trees like the stat boosts for non-Force sensitive careers. And any career specialization that starts you with a Force rating of 1 doesn't let you cheese the system by stacking the starting point by just taking more specializations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah it should be as big a deal to upgrade your Force Rating as the Gunslinger getting their AGI up to 5 or the like.

The system is decent, you just need to understand that without an advanced start (like the "knight level play" option) your Force Guy is gonna be low key dude who can kind of read minds or sorta do telekenesis, not a Tartovsky Clone Wars Jedi.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Huh I didn't realize Force Rating 2 was in the reach of a starting character (albeit with some heavy compromises, naturally).

I think if my Outlaw Tech Verpine guy bites it during our run through Mask of the Pirate Queen I'll re-roll as a dathomiri nightsister witch, apropos of a pretty cool character in the new vidya.

They are human beings right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If I were dead-set on it it would be "legal" to cheese it by buying all the way up to the talent before the Force Rating one (say "natural mystic" in the mystic/seer tree) and just spending my first 25 XP to nab it, right?