Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lorak posted:

While I have looked into that route, I've had some trouble finding reliable sources of information as to the printer price/print quality trade-offs for resin 3D printers in the last year. Any suggestions on where to start?

Speaking for myself I have a photon and photon mono SE. They are both great and the Photon has gotten super affordable. Do like the speedier prints and somewhat noticeable detail improvement on the mono but either spits out perfectly cromulent little dolls with not too much fuss.

Worth noting that the LCD panel is a consumable and the monochrome ones in addition to having shorter exposure times for faster prints also last longer.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah the advent of affordable and relatively accessible 3d printing has really changed my approach to gaming. Now if I need like... 2 stormtroopers, a protocol droid, and a zabrak gangster for an encounter I can just print them out in a couple hours hit them with primer and contrast paint and call it good. It's really cut down on impulse buys of random minis in general.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

To be fair they didn't try the first two times with SWd20.

SAGA was a neat little 3e/4e transitional fossil with a few good ideas (and some dumb ones like skill focus: use the force).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Skill Focus: Use The Force is as about the most obligatory choice in character building there has ever been in character creation in any game ever and it's wild the Saga edition designers didn't see that instantly. Like it's not even some esoteric interaction or niche combo. Just one feat you always take as a glowstick man unless you want to be worse at lifting rocks for lolrp reasons.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Claytor posted:

Just had a thought.

What if auto-fire reduced soak instead of boosting damage directly? Seems like it could take care of the issues on both sides of the "auto-fire is too good"/"tanks are too tanky" equation.

This... seems like a really good house rule at first blush.

let the soak monster take out a dozen chumps then tremble at moff gideon :spergin: out about his eweb

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Any word on the Edge Studios reprints?

I'd like to get a copy of the Bounty Hunter splat book for less than the cost of a gaming console.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rewatching Andor (Andor spoilers coming) the "inciting incident" that sets off the plot really could be read as one of those "what the Hell do I do with this" dice rolls.

The GM let Cassian roll some advantage from his previous bluffs into his Brawl roll, and decided this was a narratively tense enough moment to flip a couple Destiny to upgrade the difficulty of the attack.

Deigo: "Okay I go for the nonlethal takedown on the one right behind me with a weird reverse headbutt into judo flip move. That comes out to 3 uncancelled successes, 3 advantage, and uhh 2 despair."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Man, Andor has me jonesing for some FFG Star Wars like nothing else has in years.

Right? The books are just sitting on my shelves unloved, and the setting has pretty much never felt more accusable and open from a real lived-in grounds-eye view.

And it looks like the Edge reprints are going to start hitting the shelves tomorrow in the US from everything I can see, so good timing on that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

The only thing that's stopping me from running an AoR game where everyone is ISB agents/probably secret rebels is that I'd have to write so many security briefings

*extremely Major Pardagas voice* and I will expect them on my desk this time tomorrow morning.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I tried this. People turned into fascist shitbirds real fast and I killed the game because it became gross.

EDIT: To clarify, one player became a mega-fascist shitbird and sucked all the air out of the room and drove off the other players.

Yeah I can't imagine wanting to run a game where the session 0 buy-in wasn't good guys or at least antiheroes and malcontents, especially after Andor demythologized the Empire's fascist oppression from the evil space wizards and Stormtroopers on your lunchbox to more banal and personal violence and violation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I wont run it, but I will play in a game of ISB agents where we all know we're trying to work to destroy it from the inside.

It would be harder to run, but even funnier to play a game of ISB agents where you are all trying to destroy it from the inside, but no one is aware the other one is a double agent.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

"[daughter], you ready to make your guy for Edge of the Empire?"

"No, I need to read and reread the books to find all of the most optimal skills and talents and figure out a good background and--"

"It's not that complicated, just make a 5 Brawn Wookiee with a vibroaxe who's addicted to space drugs."

"But what if he needs to do diplomacy?"

"That's what the axe is for."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah I personally don't think there's enough chatter for one SWRPG thread let alone two, so I don't care if people talk about the WEG game here. But I'm not like, the boss of threads.

Not for nothing FFG Star Wars along with half of the things in canon wouldn't exist without WEG star wars.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Actually, with the mention of the WEG game, I thought of a rather meaty topic that had been rattling around in my head as I prepare a new game and help my daughter make a character, particularly warning her away from the pitfalls of making a droid character, and looking at which species are the most "natural fit" for her droid technician character.

Now that the game is a decade old and the most recent supplement is what, 3 years ago, it does seem to be on the back foot in the conversation with what D&D is currently doing with relation to "racial determinism" and stereotyping. That's something Star Wars as a setting has always kind of struggled with since the WEG days. We saw one Trandoshan and he was a bounty hunter? I guess the lizard people are a hunter culture. Many Bothans stole the Death Star II plans? Bothans are, as a people, all capable spies and intelligence operatives.

I don't know exactly how I'd fix it exactly, but in light of what the "~world's greatest roleplaying game~" is doing with those sacred cows, it feels like it should be a little more friendly toward playing an iconoclast and taking a step away from "every twi'lek is a born entertainer and smooth talker" type stuff. Do it a bit more a la carte and ecumenical.

The other recent development in the property that puts that kind of stereotyped characterization on notice is Andor. While Andor admittedly is pretty humano-centric, the more immediate universe it lives in that shaves off all the irony and legend into a more textured place just seems a little less conducive to that kind of stereotyped stock character acting to a mask and costume.

I guess if a player presented the above criticisms to me in discussion, I'd go with some compromise to take 2's across the board and a fair amount of XP for characteristics, and swap any "cultural" bonus for another one of comparable impact.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's a shame because there's definitely a The Dark Times sourcebook to be made expanding on the material from Andor and Obi Wan and a New Republic one in BobF and Mando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

But seriously it's great that they're adapting the system to fill this underserved RPG niche where hitherto we've only had Call of Cthulhu, Cthulhu Invictus, Cthulhu Dark Ages, Cthulhu by Gaslight, Achtung! Cthulhu, Atomic Age Cthulhu, Cthulhu Now, Delta Green, Cthulhu Rising, Call of Cthulhu D20, Cthulhu Dark Cthulhu Live (the LARP rules), CthulhuTech, De Profoundis, Eldrich Skies, Cats of Catthulhu, GURPS Cthulhupunk, Realms of Cthulhu, and Trail of Cthulhu.