Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s a crime that we won’t get an old republic sourcebook

I would pay so much for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I've managed to track down all of the non-character books. Of those, I think Dawn of Rebellion is the best, followed closely by the Clone Wars era books and Lords of Nal Hutta.

But it really depends on what you're interested in; if you don't want Clone Wars or Hutts, don't get the books.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you don’t want hutts you got problems

:hmmyes:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

thorsilver posted:

As a newbie to the FFG system, what should I look out for on a PC's character sheet that might bust the game wide open? I don't mind a bit of craziness, but I'd like to avoid completely rampant nonsense since I'm still learning the system and may not be great at whipping up completely new challenges on the fly.

This isn't strictly character creation related, but one thing to consider is that it is surprisingly hard to actually kill characters in even combat in the rules as written.

That is - sure, the GM can present hugely powerful threats (i.e., "the Empire crashes a Star Destroyer onto your apartment"), but in a straight shoot-out with something like Stormtroopers it's nearly impossible to get killed by a couple of unlucky die rolls. In the rules as written the only way to in combat is by rolling over 141 on a d100 on Table 6-10 Critical Injury Results. In other words, you have to stack up more than one - more likely a few - critical hit results before you die, and odds are you'll get knocked out or otherwise incapacitated first. And that's if you're just standing out in the open shooting; any play involving other random results and complications from dice rolls, which makes death even less likely. Just getting in a shootout with stormtroopers will not kill a character.

This is absolutely a feature and not a bug. In my experience players coming from other systems don't really realize this at first and play cautiously unless you directly tell them first, so they play like low level D&D characters avoiding getting beaten up by Orcs. Then they come to realize that no, one shot from Stormtrooper TK-9923 isn't going to kill them, so they start taking all kinds of Star Wars-y genre appropriate risks, which is again, great. It also means that if they're down with it, a character's death won't come from a random shot from a random threat - instead, it will be the result of something appropriately heroic or tragic, a situation where they knew that there was a real chance of death where they chose to keep taking the risks over and over.

It's a subtle part of a drat good system that doesn't get enough credit, but goes a very long way towards making things feel right for the genre.

Edit: I see this was mentioned above, but I'm a pedantic rear end.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 13, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Owlbear Camus posted:

it feels like it should be a little more friendly toward playing an iconoclast and taking a step away from "every twi'lek is a born entertainer and smooth talker" type stuff.

They're pretty good about that sort of thing. Going from memory, Twileks get a minor "Charm" bonus, which is applicable in any social interaction, like diplomacy. They don't push them as "a species of strippers;" in fact, Star Wars itself has been decent about that in shows like Rebels and Clone Wars.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 9, 2022