Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So I'll be running the Edge of the Empire starter adventure for a couple of friends within the week, and I'm curious if any goons had anything of note to point out about it, about the ship etc. I was thinking of using a HWK-290 rather than a YT-1300, to avoid Millenium Falcon comparisons, but they're all briefed that we'd be doing it by the book to get the hang of the rules rather than full-on proper session so I don't think it'd be an issue either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

nelson posted:

Either your players will have a strong opinion about ships or they won't. If they do, err on the side of giving them what they prefer of comparable value. If they don't, then it doesn't matter what they get. Worse case scenario they can sell it later and pick something else.

Yeah, I'm probably overthinking it, this is going to be just a one-shot anyway. I'm not 100% sure on how much they know about ships and stuff, but we all have internet access, if they see something they like when we get to the main campaign, I can go for it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Give em a G9 Rigger :getin:

I like those people, and I'd like to play with them again :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

echopapa posted:

And if they don’t care, but you don’t want their ship to be a Falcon clone, just say, “Your ship is a YT-1300 freighter. It’s just like the Millennium Falcon, except for a few cosmetic differences. What do you think those differences are?” Let them add shag carpeting or mirrored ceilings or what-have-you.

Oh that could be interesting even for the test session, get into the whole vibe of letting the players shape a lot of stuff. And it means I don't have to do much work on the spot, since everyone knows what the Falcon looks like.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Played the EotE Beginner Game today, with some time issues. We ended up skipping the Stormtrooper encounter as well as the encounter with Trex, and just do a quick space combat, which was pretty bland.
Overall they liked it, with the space combat being the major complaint (which yeah we had to rush and they had no talents or anything to spice it up so it was just "I uh do the thing to hit it easier" "Ok TIE hits you for 6" "I shoot the TIE"). From what I've read in the rules, space combat has more variance, right? With pilot skills and more options I think it would be indeed interesting (and for a Star Wars system, I don't think I'd have heard good stuff about it if it wasn't at least decent). Is there anything to know before GMing space combat for real?

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah not giving good guidelines for cash and xp rewards are one of the only flaws of the game imo.

Doesn't the game give XP guidelines normally? 10 XP per session, plus... 5? I think for playing to your motivation, and some scraps for RP?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Drone posted:

Space combat in general isn't great in this system, but I suppose it has its fans. Personally I don't care for it.

But if the game had some time issues, why not just pick up where you left off in a second session instead of rushing through things and risk not having any fun / having problems?

Huh, I'll see what I can do for when we get to it then, bummer about that.

And we mostly used it as a tutorial to get used to the skill checks and narrative situations the like, rather than a full-on Session 0/1.
If we end up running EotE, I think we might re-run it as a start, but we'll see when we get to that. Folks seem to be leaning towards FaD, or at least they asked for a more Force-y thing (which is understandable), so I'll talk it over with them and see how things fold out and what we'll end up playing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Those are pretty good, especially the bit about the speeds and even more so the action sheet, I'll need to print that out and have it on hand when ship stuff happens.

I presume that the Speed difference still matters for Gain The Advantage right? Or anything else that cares about that difference, it's just presumed that current speed = max speed? Any specific house rules about other Speed-relevant things?
(Also I see Astromech actions there. Are those in a supplement or am I missing something?)

This is gonna be rad for us, two people have expressed interest in being a bounty hunter. Maybe it'll help avoid the work of making a Jedi campaign :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Someone should make a Discord FFG dice roller, because Discord would seriously be a great way to run a game vs PbP or Roll20... has most of the advantages of both things, and also has some great phone apps for every OS.

https://github.com/gblosser42/Discord-Dice

Something like this but as a bot that you can just have in the channel so that even on your phone people could roll. Would be really easy to setup, too:

- Have a Group for the entire Campaign
- One channel is OOC
- One channel is the DM Setting channel, post stuff like maps, pics of NPCs, etc on there so they're always easy to reference and don't get lost.
- One channel for the actual IC roleplay. You could do the dice rolls in here, in the OOC channel, or even in a separate Dice channel, though that'd be a bit much.

You could still get that Roll20 vibe of everyone being able to chat in real time, plus you have the option to do voice stuff on the fly for, say, a battle sequence. Difference is that people can use their phones to contribute and you also have the PbP benefit of being able to have drastically different times and don't need to necessarily always coordinate times for sessions, you can hotswap between the two formats as needed.

Would totally work well, I think... just need a drat dice roller, because rolling in orokos and pasting the link is annoying as gently caress on a phone.

I can give it a shot at some point, thanks for bringing this up. A friend and I made a bot to post Magic cards, so this should be easier. But then again he also did most of the work so :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I can give it a shot at some point, thanks for bringing this up. A friend and I made a bot to post Magic cards, so this should be easier. But then again he also did most of the work so :v:

So it took me a bit, but I've gotten some work done on this, it connects to Discord, rolls each size die properly, but I'm not sure what approach to take so I need some opinions.

Would you prefer giving it the rolls like "AAPDB" (Ability Ability Proficiency Difficulty Boost in any order), or "2dA 1dP 1dD" (for 2Ability, 1Proficiency 1Difficulty)?
Similarly, contractions are another question. Each die starts with a different letter (so there's no "Is A Ability or Advantage?" questions), but I don't know if I'm missing something. Do people call them by their colours, but even if so, I figure that having Boost contracted to U (for blUe) and leaving Setback as Black is fine.

Basically what I need goonpinions on is the notation. I'm leaning towards the first one (first letter of each die, no xdY or anything), but colours would also be easy to add, whereas xdY would be a bit more challenging.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth posted:

So I have a v1.0 of the bot ready to go, still could use testing and improvements, but it takes inputs, calculates success/failure/advantage/threat, and the orokos-style inputs should be easy after a friend converted all my cases into functions.

I'll be working on that then, but for now, is there a good way to get the code out? github seems a bit much for literally one file.

EDIT: Actually yeah, I'll just put it on dropbox after fixing a bit.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 4, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Github is free, so why not. Sounds great!

Yeah I think I created it so I'll be uploading there soon. The file's currently in a shared Dropbox folder so there'll be some copying, but Git is probably the best for long-term practice reasons as well so might as well.

This doesn't have the actual v1.0 in it yet, but it should be the right link for now: https://github.com/serperoth/Star-Wars-RPG-Discord-Dice-Bot

Actual file to be uploaded shortly.

It's up, same link. Should be "swdicebot - nologin.js". Not the final version, still doesn't support Orokos style rolling, but with the functions in place it should be easy to implement.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 4, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Orokos functionality is now a thing in the bot! And it's pretty flexible, in that it doesn't matter what's between the amount of dice and the type of die. 10dA is the same as 10A is the same as 10SerperothIsCoolA.

Code on the github to be updated shortly. Still probably needs bugfixing and the like, I noticed today that one line in the Force dice was set to increase failure rather than dark, but I'm confident it's at least serviceable 99% of the time.

EDIT: Code updated. Please, check it out and let me know if you see anything. This is the guide I used to get it going, by the way, all you need is Node.js, and a Discord bot token.

EDIT2: I'm also keeping it running as long as my PC and Discord are on on this server for testing: https://discord.gg/HwrrhPQ

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 5, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Made a minor update to the dice roller, now it should be outputting the triumph/despair results as well, and with that I think that all the basic stuff is done.

Next up on the table is making it a bit more flexible, accepting (for example) lower case letters for the dice, etc. So far my plan is to include lower case, and see if something can happen with colours (Black, blUe, Green, Purple, Red, Yellow, White, none of them conflict with the other ones I think), if anyone uses that. If there are any single-letter 'shortcuts' to dice that aren't just the first letter of the die, let me know and I'd be happy to put them in, as long as they don't conflict with anything else.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Awesome work! Totally gonna try this thing out later.

Let me know what you think, any issues and whatnot and situations from actual play.

There's a !help command that should help out a bit as well, even if it's pretty basic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I don't know who Fuzz is, but sorry for the bot not being up on the test server the other day. I only got on Discord yesterday and saw you, after some absence.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Ah, no worries. I can hop back on to test it... gotta find the channel info again.

It's up for ya, I pinged you on there as well. I'll be on for another 90 minutes or so, but I might just leave it on overnight, I'll see how things shape up (or I might ask my friend to do it too)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sorry to double post, but there's been a kinda major (compared to nothing or just a tiny fix) update to the bot. The GitHub will be updated in the morning (because it's past 2am over here and I still need to test some stuff), but the gist of it is as follows:

-Each roll prints its own result. So if you roll AAA (3x Ability), you'll get three lines of "Rolled an Ability Die, got a <number> for a result of <whatever it says on the conversion table>". Opt-in/out to be implemented later, most likely a lazy "All that poo poo you wrote? Yeah delete that and print nothing", rather than adding a whole bunch of ifs, unless you folks feel that the performance hit is too high.

-Both styles of rolls support lowercase letters instead of just uppercase. Again, if there's other letters that people use, it shouldn't be too hard to add them in, but Fuzz reminded me that lowercase was long overdue :v: I've barely tried it out, but it doesn't break horribly when I try it so it should be good for some tests.

-Might look into doing something with obligation-duty-morality, but I don't know these rules off the top of my head, so I'll need to read up before starting anything.

I can't leave it on overnight, but I plan on having it on all day tomorrow. So if this post is more than 9 hours old for you, click here to hit the bot up. If it's NOT up, @Serperoth on the server to let me know. For reference, if the bot is online and you type !help, it shows a pretty meh help message.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 28, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GitHub has been updated with the latest version of the bot, sorry for the delay, and again a major thanks to Fuzz for some testing.

Changes are basically that lowercase letters can be used (!roll aa for example), as well as the option to toggle verbose results on or off. Verbose results basically calls out each individual die ("Rolled an Ability Die, got a 7, for this and that result". It can get unwieldy, but it was requested so might as well.

There's more to come, like duty/obligation/morality rolls, and destiny tokens, so if you have suggestions, please let me know.

VV: Don't know about a font, but Discord can do custom emoticons, although I don't think there's a way for the bot to carry them (although it would be easy to make it output stuff in emoji)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 13, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Covok posted:

Also, anyone know if the 7 lightsaber forms (and Vapaad) are still canon?

I think so, they have Canon Wookieepedia pages, and I believe that they're mentioned in the Force and Destiny book as well

Edit: Also isn't Vaapad Form VII? Or am I missing something?

VV: Oh ok. Wookieepedia has Form VII as both Juyo and Vaapad, that's where I was getting my info. But yeah, it's canon.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 14, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

You could but the amount of exp you'd need to do it is insane, plus the pilots might be able to still out pilot your move attempt and compensate. You need ridiculous dice pools to do stuff like that.

For reference, the game suggests Knight-level to be at +150xp. Even if we consider Master to be triple that, that's 450xp to be the same 'rank' as Windu, Kenobi, Qui-Gon, Dooku, Plo Koon, Yoda... Obviously it's not as clear-cut as that, but like wiegieman said, when you have that much xp, it seems like it would be pretty moot.

Although, a session of a bunch of Master-level characters kicking rear end could be fun. Don't think a campaign of that would be a good idea though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oh huh, I'd have figured Knight would have been "proper Jedi" rather than "Padawan graduate". Good to know though, I'll have that in mind.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Covok posted:

What's the best way to play this online? Tried using hangouts with embedded roll20 so I could use a free dice roller. Use a synchtube to handle all the music and my Star Wars opening crawls.

It's messy, some people can't access all the stuff at times, and it can be glitchy.

Should I just put down the 10/month and use roll20 and synchtube for everything?

I plan on doing my own campaign over Discord, with the dice bot I made cause of the thread.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

This is what my next game will be, probably after XMas.

Nice, feel free to drop me some feedback on the bot when it comes to actual use.
I'm pretty sure that your suggestion for verbose results is in the GitHub file, but if it's not I can update it later today. And probably make the "short" one the default, if it's not already, adding 4+ lines to every roll could get grating as a default from a few jokes I threw in my own server

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

https://discord.gg/WPM43VV

Hey guys, so I decided to make a permanent SA FFG Star Wars Discord channel for all of us to use. We're our own small little community on SA at this point, and a lot of us cross paths so often that it's worth it to just have one.

Regular posters and gurus of the system (Mustache Ride, jivjov, etc) can hit me up on there for Admin access, and if anyone wants a specific channel added for their game or whatever, just let us know. Hopefully Serperoth can get his bot connected to the #rollem channel full-time and then we always have a place to do dice rolls and crap.

If you want to run a game:
1- Post in here so one of the Admins can give you a Moff title and you can setup your channels and such.
2- MAKE A THREAD ON THE TG GAMES THREAD. You know the one.
3- Don't be an rear end in a top hat to your players.

Discord can be found via that site, or if you're on Android/iOS it has apps for both that are fully featured and even allow for voicechat (though I'm not sure if the iOS one has full support).

The logic to this vs a Hangout or whatever is that we have a centralized place to discuss the game in real time that anyone can access, plus you can easily connect to voice channels, do your dice rolls in a separate channel, and even play from your phone at any time of day from anywhere without much overhead and the whole hassle of having to post on here a la a PbP. GM access also has full control over who can speak or send messages in their channels, so this also allows people that AREN'T actually playing to still sit in and spectate on games, even the real-time (or semi real time) ones to either learn the system, get ideas, or just have something to read logs of while they're taking a poo poo.

I figure this is worth a try and could end up getting some games that actually go the distance online in this system, plus it could help strengthen your PnP game (confused on a topic at your PnP session? Ask in the channel and see if someone knows!). Discord is free and you can idle forever and no one will care, and they keep logs on their end so why the hell not.

Game on!

EDIT: Oh and if someone wants to make FFG dice icons as Emojis for Discord, that would be a sweet idea... maybe Serperoth's script could be edited up so that it actually displays results as emojis, which could basically bridge the gap and make it an all-inclusive alternative to Orokos, which hates phones/tablets.

Also if you have any other fun SW or SA emoticons you want added in, say so.

Alright, now that I'm home:

-It shouldn't be much trouble in connecting the bot. If there's someone who's on the channel 24/7, they can do it after we add the bot to the server, and there's also services that do it for you (should be free ones too).

-Emojis are even easier, but the earliest I'll get to poke at it will be Friday, or possibly even the weekend or Monday. Although I will need the emojis to be active on the server, if only to know what words to put in.

EDIT: this is still a cool idea, for the record.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

WerrWaaa posted:

Good to know.

For starting characteristics, is it better to spread out broad with four 3s or focus and have two 4s, or mix? How spread out do you have to be before you've lost all sense of focus-- is it unreasonable to want skills spread across four stats?

I've heard that the best plan is to go big on one stat, smaller on another one, and spread among the last, focusing as much as you can on stats during chargen, cause they're the hardest to raise afterwards.

But others in the thread probably know much better than I do.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Super86 posted:

What bothers me are the rest of situations that require a roll. I can't see a quick way to solve the myriad of results you can get from every roll, every time, for every player. At least not without coming up with simplistic generic answers ("you get a boost dice in your next action") every time and just moving on; which in my opinion kills the whole pourpose of the system. Everytime you try to deceive somebody, or to plot a course through hyperspace, to repair something, to navigate with a compass, land your ship with a broken landing gear, try to get information from somebody, hack a computer, bribe a guard, search for a clue, roll to see if your PC knows something, intimidate a civilian, win a game of sabbac, acquire updated navigational charts, encrypt a transmission, convince a wookie that guy over there just insulted him, repair a speeder without proper tools, or try to throw that thermal detonator into that pool over there before it detonates.

You also don't have to do the same stuff every time. Yeah, for something mundane, an Advantage can just be "Oh you <do thing> pretty well, your party has a confidence boost, next person gets a boost die/you recover strain" (and similarly, threat can be disheartening struggles) and leave it at that if you don't have something cool to do. Or if the player has a cool idea, that's easy too.
The system gives you a base to extrapolate from, in my opinion, but I've never felt forced to prepare a whole lot, or to even engage with it fully every single time. Sometimes it's a little flavour thing, sometimes it's a good application of a character concept, or unprecedented luck/fortune with something you're not normally good at, and so forth.

I see it as kind of rolling a high/low number in DnD or something, but independent of success/failure. "Oh you got a 28 to convince the guy? Everyone else sees you do so well with your arguments and they're like WHOA NICE DUDE (advantage). But the guy wasn't gonna be convinced at all from the start. (failure)". Big extrapolation, but yeah.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FuriousAngle posted:

See Drone? Other goons in the game with me? Build your fellow players up! STOP FAT-SHAMING MY JEDI!

If you check the tally, you'll note that I have made zero reference to that, last session at least, for precisely that reason
:goonsay:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Why do I like Star Wars again? I am physically pained by how bad everything about that is.

Madurai posted:

You like it because by running a SW RPG, you've been handed the keys to the cosmos and can edit out any dumb poo poo you don't like.

And because you can force your GM to do a Toydarian voice, which turns out to be anywhere from Jewish, to Irish, to Jamaican, to Latino.

And then because you can get them to do space Tinder between a Trandoshan and a lady with the username "bigbertha69"

Really now, it owns. More often than not, you can acknowledge the dumb poo poo, have a laugh about it, and lean into it to continue with the not-dumb poo poo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Speaking of star wars mistakes...look at this jaunty lil fella

Don't call my next character a mistake please.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Covok posted:

I now really want to run an age of rebellion game sad right after the Last Jedi. The new status quo is an interesting one. Also, the notion of playing in a world that is undefined is fun.

Too bad I probably don't have time.

:agreed:

Seems like a VERY interesting state right now, and very much in line with the Rebellion as a grassroots movement, or random Force-sensitives etc.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jivjov posted:

I wouldn't mind a soft relaunch. Version 1.5 or something; with a single redesigned core book

8one6 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they launched something like a "The Last Jedi RPG" styled core book or a hardcover for the new trilogy but if IMO it's too soon for them to announce a 2e.

Yeah, a 1,5e cleanup/soft reboot with everything they've learned from Genesys while still maintaining high, if not complete, compatibility would be much much better than "toss your books, it's edition time"

Could even do a cheap "patch" book, for the people who already have the old ones, and use the opportunity to work on the line as a whole, either tying it into their RPGs more (with L5R for example), or with their Star Wars stuff

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ran a session without making a single dice roll tonight.

My players wanted to get to an exclusive swoop race whose only access is via a train (heavy ion storms prevent aerial/orbital access).

The only way they could get on the last train before the race was agreeing to pretend to be the retainers for a con artist posing as a high society type. As the train goes through the worst of the ion storm, the emergency brake gets tripped, a guest has been murdered, and it turns out the identity the con artist took on was of a renowned detective. They are asking the players to solve the murder to keep everyone’s cover story up.

So should I quit my job to run this, or am I good with doing marathon sessions within some contiguous PTO?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ablative posted:

Yeah it's probably the stupidest naming issue in the book.

Which is saying a lot.

Until they include Jedi Master Baytes in a book :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I ran the FaD beginner game a few days ago for some peeps, and we had a blast. I'd missed how fun this game gets when you just throw some dice around and play as they go. They ended up beating the boss of that in like two attacks, but everyone had a good time, which is the important thing.

Now I'm looking towards doing something more fully fledged, thinking towards either the Onslaught at Arda I campaign or some of the homebrew or converted ones, there's a lot of real interesting stuff out there

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Drone posted:

I converted Mission to Lianna from WEG d6 for our first adventure all those years ago, that one was pretty good :v:

Still the best campaign/RPG I've been a part of, so genuinely very high on my list as far as options go, I might hit you up later today about any notes :cheers:

BigBertha69 has entered chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Update from our Session 1

Everyone seemed to have a good time. Five players, a pilot, a mechanic/pilot, a weirdo doctor droid, and two force-sensitives (one in hiding as a smuggler, one Influencing face). They were accosted by a Dunning-Kruger failson who ended up damaging his own datapad trying to intimidate them, their ship is primarily olfactory, and their hotel room is definitely not bugged at all.

And we haven't even gotten to the more serious stakes yet :getin:

Duty rolls will start next session, although only one of them has any