Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I've been interested in the system for a while and theres a possibility I might end up running a game over Discord. How much trouble is that to set up, and how should I go about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool, I think I'll give it a shot if I can work out a time. Does anyone know if there's an up to date online list of talent trees for sending to people?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool, thanks. I'm going to talk over what exactly we want to do, but I'm thinking a loose mission-by-mission campaign in a frontier sector where valuable military resources have been discovered, either EotE where they're criminals moving in with new opportunity or rebels trying to disrupt Imperial industry. Any suggestions for what the resource should be from people who remember more EU stuff than I do? Also, is the AoR core rulebook adventure worth running?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Looking at Genesys that has:
-GtA gives you upgrades on attack and defense instead of ignoring EM
-Moving is free and mandatory
-High speed makes you harder to hit but also harder to pilot
-Brace for Impact maneuver that converts up to Silhouette damage into system strain
-Attack difficulty by range not silhouette (though idk if this works as well in this setting)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Bought into Armada during the sale last week, how are the campaigns. My GF would not want to pvp but if there was some manner of co-op she'd be down for that but I'm not really sure how it works, does the cpu fight using a ai deck kinda like KDM or something?

You seem to be confusing three different FFG Star Wars games. This is the thread for tabletop roleplaying, Armada is a fleet combat game that's pretty much just 1v1 army miniatures, Imperial Assault is the campaign-based one- and while it's supposed to be 1 vs many, there is an app that can make it coop IIRC

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey I'm running the AoR intro adventure, Perlemian Haul, tomorrow. Its everyone's first time with the system. I've obsessively read a bunch of the stuff so I've got a decent grasp of the rules but any common mistakes or issues with the adventure are appreciated. One thing I noticed is that RaW the characters are pretty tough to use social skills on- like the starting governor who asks a huge price for cooperation is an obvious target for a negotiate check but she's rolling 3 reds if you do it that way. Any advice on how to work that?

E also for rewards, I'm thinking 10 xp for showing up + 5 for playing to motivation + 5-10 for finishing an arc; duty gets 1-2 per (3 players) both for doing things that help the Rebellion and also for going out of your way to complete your personal duty

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 7, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey so one of my characters picked a motivation of being a medical 'junk dealer' who's always on the lookout for new medicines and techniques. I was already planning on having Rakatan (or other pre-Republic) ruins in the background of the campaign, did they do any particular biotechnology I could use as a hook?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

One more question. One of my players is a Bothan spy/infiltrator who's motivation is that he's working for a Bothan politician who is allied with the Rebels but has his own agenda and thus wants to be cc'd on all the Alliance intel they get. This isn't like a Deep Dark Secret so it doesnt have to be hidden, and I'm going to talk about it to see how he wants to play it, but any tips on running something like that with a party member keepimg a secret?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah basically in/out of character. I figure most of the stuff is just illicitly copying intel to the Bothans so I could just run it openly most of the time but I figure more experienced GMs could weigh in

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey so I ran the intro AOR adventure over two sessions on Discord and it went pretty well! People liked it and liked the system, and I've got the beginnings of where to go from here (this is the first time I've GM'd something other than a few one-shots). I do have some technical questions- does anyone have ideas for how to keep track of combat and stuff on Discord? I used the OggDude GM tools to have a list of characters but I had to track everything (including like "oh this guys in cover, this guy's got a extra blue from advantage") on a sheet of paper. I see the dice bot has an initiative tracker, which I'll have to use more I guess.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey does anyone know a good automated character sheet for Mac? I'm using OggDude but I've got one player who's on Mac and can never remember his die pools

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Canopus250 posted:

So my group is gearing up to play Force and Destiny based game and I had a question since we don't have all the class splat books. Are there additional emotional strengths/weaknesses in all the books or is the warrior book an outlier?

I haven't read F&D much but I assume so since each playbook in the other lines introduces some new obligations/duties. That said those mechanics tend to be pretty flexible so you can basically make stuff up as long as its reasonable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think there's a ton of stuff that could get streamlined and rationalized but I don't think they'd do a good job of it in practice especially if it's being handed off to smalltimers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Looking through the rules even using vehicle scale as 5x instead of 10x it seems like vehicle guns on even light tanks will just chunky salsa everyone; is there a quick fix for that?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The house rule I've been using is basically vehicles are x5 but also have soak 5 (so a generic assault rifle won't trivially oneshot a car). And yeah, saying you do the weapon damage as AoE personal damage makes sense

E: this does set up a goofy scenario where on an ATST the best single target attack is the concussion grenade

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 11, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey two questions, one mechanics one story, for AoR. First, I've got a soldier-medic who's playing a Polis Massan basically trying to be a medical Jawa. I'm thinking the next mission is going to be Where Eagles Dare/Guns of Navarrone in a Rakatan Empire dig site; so what's a good gadget I can give him for that? Second; the general plotline I've been working on is that Imperial Intelligence got their hands on a deposit of cortosis and is trying to secretly mine it as a hedge against Vader and other force users while the ISB is sniffing around; and the players are a rebel cell that are working around the mines. Thing is I'm not really sure of a good endgame- whatever Imperial faction knows about it won't let it go. I guess the best option would be some way to blow up the deposit permanently so no one's interested anymore?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey, any ideas for loot to hand out to a Medic who's motivation is scavenging exotic medical equipment? We're about to do Where Eagles Dare into a Ubiqtorate base built into an ancient Rakatan outpost and I'd like him to pull something cool he can use out of it. (I've already handed out a generic cybernetic so that's probably out)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hey i'm formulating what i want to do for a second act of an age of rebellion campaign i've been running and am picking back up; one thing i want is to have an emperor's hand as a recurring villain. anyone have ideas on how to run a force user NPC vs normie characters?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The plan is to introduce them as a "lost Padawan" ally then reveal they're manipulating things (I'm going for a conspiracy thriller sort of mood). I figure after several sessions they're going to get in a fight, the characters have already done one campaign so they've got a good chunk of XP under their belt and an Emperor's Hand feels like an enemy an elite Rebel cell should be able to take on if they have to

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

realized that the plot i'm running is accidentally ripping off an old WEG adventure (Cronal/Blackhole making sithspawn) but unfortunately the actual writeup is like half a page so that's not terribly helpful. relatedly, are purge troopers statted up anywhere?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I know some people liked Saga Edition but a straight port of D&D always seems like the worst possible way to do Star Wars

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think the problem with the marauder build is that because it's also insanely tanky (and due to the way soak works) it's hard to come up with something that will hurt them but won't turn everyone else into chunky salsa. I do agree that the game being more interesting outside of combat makes it a bit less of a problem when someone breaks it over their knee

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any non-FFG published adventures that are good? I have a much harder time thinking up stuff for this game than fantasy games.

Watch any western or WW2 movie and find/replace the proper nouns, it's worked for me so far

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

It would be harder to run, but even funnier to play a game of ISB agents where you are all trying to destroy it from the inside, but no one is aware the other one is a double agent.

star wars man who was Thursday sounds really fun tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah that's more or less de facto what I did for encounters anyway, and there's a lot of good ideas for stuff to make it interesting beyond just cover/difficult