Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm planning out a mixed party Clone Wars era game. How does this sound as a way to handle starting packages:

Use either F&D or AoR chargen (Clone Wars careers also allowed)
Skip the step to trade in morality/duty, starting credits and group resources.

You may take one of the following packages:
(Basic Lightsaber or Shoto Lightsaber), Heavy Robes, Jedi Utility Belt [Force Users Only]
(DC-15 Blaster Rifle, DC-15A Blaster Carbine, or 2 DC-17 Blaster Pistol), Phase 1 Clone Armor, Mk8 Combat Knife, 3 EMP Grenades, 5XP
500 Credits, 10XP
1500 Credits, 5XP
3000 Credits

I figured this is a way to unify the chargen systems in an intuitive way, allowing for the starting packages from the Rise of the Separatist book

Does anyone have any experience with Clone Wars games, and any advice for what to keep in mind or be wary of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Also, even if something gives Conflict it's not that big of a deal. It's entirely possible that things like Qui-gon cheating at dice did give him a conflict point. A certain level of conflict is easily absorbed by the d10 roll

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

James Woods posted:

So I've been reading through the books for this game for years and quarantine boredom has finally gotten me to write a campaign. To begin with my girlfriend and I are going to do a 1 on 1 campaign to familiarize ourselves with the rules but I eventually want to run a game with some friends back home over a virtual table top. I've been watching XPGamers campaign on Youtube and they're using Table Top Simulator which looks pretty versatile and I wanted to see if anyone has opinions on it vs. Roll20, FG, or Foundry.

The campaign itself is going to take place at the beginning of the Clone Wars and follow a group Jedi that work in an intelligence/unconventional warfare unit. I'm taking inspiration from the Mission Impossible and 007 films and wanted to do a lot of glitzy galaxy hopping and let the players play with some of the cool toys and resources the Republic had at their disposal. I was wondering if anyone has read Rise of the Separatists or Collapse of the Republic and thought they would be a useful supplement for this campaign. A lot of my players are already playing in a Edge of Empire Firefly-esque campaign and my GF just recently got into the Clone Wars show so I thought this would be a nice change of pace that could segue into Dawn of Rebellion.

Both books are incredible. The Clone Trooper career is great, and it integrates nicely with both Force and Destiny and Age of Rebellion for force/army stuff. It has nearly all of the stats I'd want from a clone wars book, and I highly recommend them

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

alg posted:

I just asked my players not to make 5 brawn soak dudes and they said OK

I had a high brawn soak monster in a Clone Wars campaign I ran, and I just had enemies focus fire on him in combats (after talking with the player about why he's building a soak monster and what he looks to get out of the game). He liked it because it let him help the party by soaking hits, which is what he wanted to do. And even a high soak monster can't stand for that long against concentrated fire, so he would often go down first in battle. He had fun being Tank Strong, other players had fun exploiting the openings he made, and I didn't have to throw turbolasers at the party

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for miniatures for Edge of the Empire? Would be nice to get a bundle with some stormtroopers and assorted mobs.

Legion has some good variety. Look at the rebel packs for some aliens to round things out

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The system feels very "complete" to me. Maybe an Old Republic sourcebook, but I think that mechanically it's in a great spot and doesn't need more supplements

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

One of my players is engaging with crafting for the first time and I just want to check that I’m handling it correctly. Am I correct that on the actual construction roll you don’t cancel out Advantages and Threats the way that you do with a normal check, but rather that you keep track of each of those and use them to apply the little perks/drawbacks as noted? Or do you treat it as a normal roll and only use the net result?

In other words, let’s say they roll a success with two Advantage and one Threat. Do they apply two Advantages worth of bonuses from the charts and then I do the same with one Threat, or do they simply apply one Advantage worth?

They still cancel out, so they would apply one advantage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Actually, with the mention of the WEG game, I thought of a rather meaty topic that had been rattling around in my head as I prepare a new game and help my daughter make a character, particularly warning her away from the pitfalls of making a droid character, and looking at which species are the most "natural fit" for her droid technician character.

Now that the game is a decade old and the most recent supplement is what, 3 years ago, it does seem to be on the back foot in the conversation with what D&D is currently doing with relation to "racial determinism" and stereotyping. That's something Star Wars as a setting has always kind of struggled with since the WEG days. We saw one Trandoshan and he was a bounty hunter? I guess the lizard people are a hunter culture. Many Bothans stole the Death Star II plans? Bothans are, as a people, all capable spies and intelligence operatives.

I don't know exactly how I'd fix it exactly, but in light of what the "~world's greatest roleplaying game~" is doing with those sacred cows, it feels like it should be a little more friendly toward playing an iconoclast and taking a step away from "every twi'lek is a born entertainer and smooth talker" type stuff. Do it a bit more a la carte and ecumenical.

The other recent development in the property that puts that kind of stereotyped characterization on notice is Andor. While Andor admittedly is pretty humano-centric, the more immediate universe it lives in that shaves off all the irony and legend into a more textured place just seems a little less conducive to that kind of stereotyped stock character acting to a mask and costume.

I guess if a player presented the above criticisms to me in discussion, I'd go with some compromise to take 2's across the board and a fair amount of XP for characteristics, and swap any "cultural" bonus for another one of comparable impact.

Just let people be whatever species they want and have 0 mechanics attached to it. It's a sci-fi setting, whether someone can breathe underwater or see at night are super irrelevant