Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

jivjov posted:

This is more of a general GMing advice question, but its for my Star Wars game, so I'll ask it here...

My players have sort of a habit of backpedaling on plans once they find out what kind of check it will involve. Like, I'll tell my face character "Well, that's really more of a Coerce type of situation since there's a clear threat involved and you're not bullshitting him". Sometimes they'll try to flavor it a different way to justify using Deception or Charm or whatever instead, and I usually will let it slide, but sometimes its just "Oh I don't want to try that after all" or turning to another player "hey, your Coerce is way better, you take over the conversation", which feels a little metagame-y to me.

I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat GM who says "You said it, now you're stuck with it" (especially since one of the players is very very new to tabletop gaming in general), but I also don't want to encourage the behavior of always shunting responsibility for a check onto the sole person with the best stat or skill to handle it.

In the process of typing this post, I had one idea I'll throw out there...adding setback dice to social checks when mid-conversation the primary PC doing the talking switches to someone else, since they're diluting they're own stance/case/argument if they're letting someone else do the talking.

You know, Dungeon World gives you an experience point each time you fail a roll. Is there a way to positively reinforce failing rather than negatively reinforce narrative-crushing metagaming? Maybe something that highlights the cinematic nature of the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

washed up jizz band,

I don't have much EU knowledge so I'm just trying to imagine a picture of this in the rule book.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Tell me there's a skill.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My character in the last EotE game I was in was a "Vaguely Eastern European" Mon Calamari (Stats taken from AoR) cab driver that played part-time in an Oompa band that played "SDef SLeppard" covers. It was pretty great, though I only got to play one gig before that section of Mos Espa burned down (Completely unrelated, I swear).

You know, if you asked these other guys, I bet their bands would have something that could have put out that fire.