Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bedurndurn posted:

So starting on page 45 of the EotE book and continuing through the entire section on Droids, here is every sentence that contains the word 'encumbrance'.

Here's the droids and equipment box from the bottom of p47.

I'm not intentionally trying to be a dick here, but unless you're looking at an different book, there's nothing in here that supports your claim.

Droids still have Encumbrance for everything. All those fancy internal components still have weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, we might not even end up with a droid in the group. My brother's thinking that his droid backstory doesn't feel quite right and might reconsider.

I appreciate the advice, though. It's a neat way to set things up and I can see why they didn't just give droids equivalent xp.

Now I just have to decide between Colonist and Smuggler for my character...

Colonist, then make a Marshall because they're loving awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

Lightsaber is now explicitly Brawn but there's a lightsaber combat specialization for each Characteristic that makes it use that Characteristic instead.

An elegant weapon for a more refined era... that uses brute strength to determine its usage. What?

They should have defaulted it to Agility since it's more about not cutting yourself in half than it is beating down your opponent.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

If they defaulted to agility it would make the stat even more overpowered. As it is, a high AGI character is already best pilot and best shot in a game that has a lot of shooting and piloting.

Good point.

ProfessorCirno posted:

To be frank the lightsaber rework with all the individual trees for each class that don't match up half the time (with some being very distinctly better then others) is, shall we say, not exactly the most well done part of the book.

It's one of the two completely terrible parts of the book. The other being the whole Morality system.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ramba Ral posted:

Except Vader was testing him in Empire, and Luke snapped at Vader in Return. He got better with a lightsaber in Returns, but he wasn't a Sonny Chiba sword master.

Also in the Original Trilogy, the Emperor saw a light saber as a child's toy and Yoda never needed the light saber. They didn't need that crutch.

So, yeah, lightsabers are cool and all but I prefer a good melee sword or blaster honestly for fighting.

The Emperor actually specifically refers to it as a Jedi's weapon, which makes the implication that Sith, as a rule, don't actually use them. Vader uses one because he used to be a Jedi, but that's the only reason.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lightsabers should just use your Force Rating and your Lightsaber skill to determine everything, for everyone.

Want to become good with one? Practice more or become better with the Force. Tada.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Flame112 posted:

That would be interesting, but you're pretty much never going to have a Force Rating of more than 3.

Well using a lightsaber is pretty drat hard, man. The average Jedi at the battle of Geonosis (oh god why am I using a prequel example) got shot in the face by regular old blasters. Luke never deflects more than a handful of blaster bolts at a time, and even on Jabba's Sail barge he gets shot in the hand. During their duel on Bespin, Vader and Luke both miss each other completely a whole bunch of times without any fancy flipping or Force tricks... Luke literally just ducks and the Vader swings through a pipe.

The Force is not a magical replacement for everything else, and the lightsaber isn't a magical weapon that makes you suddenly super badass. It lets you do a couple things that are new and different, assuming you roll well. Guess you gotta use those Destiny dice to make it happen.

Jedi aren't D&D Mages.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Valatar posted:

Luke always struck me as a jack of all trades sorta guy. He was competent at a lot of stuff, but not really great at anything. He never did anything all that extraordinary with the force, was only okay with his lightsaber, a fair shot with a blaster, and a pretty good pilot who was able to do a little mechanical tinkering.

And this is the key point. Luke was supposedly CRAZY STRONG with the Force, like one of the most powerful Force users to ever live... Vader and the Emperor even mention this when they talk about how quickly his skills progress, because he's a natural. It just flows naturally through him and requires minimal effort, unlike most Jedi.

He was not the norm and even by his standards, he never did anything super crazy. Vader was crazy powerful too and in the Original Trilogy the craziest ting he did was make a bunch of boxes fly at Luke and Force Choke a guy through Skype. You want to enjoy Jedi and the Force, forget the prequels, DEFINITELY forget the EU, and pretend poo poo like the Force Unleashed never existed. The Force gives you a little extra here and there, it's not a replacement. It's not a mutant power and Jedi are not Professor X, being able to telepathically download information from people or lift entire buildings like Jean Grey.

They can jump a little higher, have slightly faster reflexes, sway the minds of those who are weak-willed, move objects with their mind, sense things around them, and sometimes get visions of the future. They can't crush an AT-AT with a wave of their hand or rip apart an entire fortress by looking at it. They can't pull a Star Destroyer out of orbit or fall 10 miles and magically not get hurt.

Stick with the Original Trilogy's style and your players will be happier for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is unfortunately not how F&D supports things, as the way force powers work dramatically support super jedi throwing around AT-ATs.

The problem I tend to see though is that people are so paranoid of prequel or "Unleashed" style "super jedi" that they overreact and nerf jedi to the point where you can't actually be Luke anymore. And if your Star Wars game doesn't let you become a Luke-alike, it is, for me, fundamentally useless.

Thing is, the VAST MAJORITY of Jedi would only have a Force Rating of 2 or 3... that's why when everyone was initially complaining about how "Knight Level Play" was way too underpowered, I was sitting there wondering "Wait... what's the problem here?"

FF gets it, they just scaled it to a point where it can encompass all walks but made it sufficiently ridiculous in terms of exp requirement to get to the ridiculous DBZ bullshit. The vast majority of Jedi and Sith in the history of the galaxy are probably Force Rating 2 or 3, with Masters getting up to 4 or 5 and being CRAZY powerful. Total freakshows like the Emperor, Vader, and Luke are the only ones that would get higher than 5.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bedurndurn posted:

Because in a setting where everybody has guns, being threatened with a wedgie isn't as scary as it was in middle school? Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a terrible talent idea, but Brawn isn't the default for a reason. As for the cost, I'd look at his current spec's talent trees and pick a 20 or 25 point node to replace with your new talent. It's likely going to shift the skill from the wookie's worst stat to his best, so it should be expensive.

He's a wookiee. He can rip people's arms off with his bare hands.

Just let him swap in Brawn if it's context-logical, same way you can swap in Agility for Cunning when it comes to Skulduggery and a few other skills.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

IMPGAME is back in action, for those playing. For those of you just joining us, this is an AoR game that uses those rules to actually play as Imperials, namely members of an elite section of the ISB tasked with finding and destroying the Rebellion in the wake of the first Death Star's destruction.

I want to keep going with it, we'll see how many players we still have, but never fail! The format is such that players/Agents can be swapped in and out on Operations without it really killing the narrative. Here's also a link to the OOC thread, if anyone has any interest in it or just wants a fun read!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611415

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 20, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Grenades. Lots of grenades. Give the enemies a few Demolitionist or Saboteur talents, then have them chuck ion grenades at him. If he gets stunned, all the better.

Make it difficult to find someone to repair him because of his notoriety and then give him a setback on certain actions due to shoddy repairs.

The previous suggestion is the key, of course... stop focusing on combat and add twists, but those two might help.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

alg posted:

YES.

The Smuggler Sourcebook is called Fly Casual

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5205

Yessssss...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Did they already lay out Devaronians? Because if not, they're a logical choice. I'd bet money Falleen will make a showing and there will be a section about Black Sun, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hubis posted:

Man, hacking is a good idea. I just need to figure out a good way to make it plausible (there's no Wi-Fi in post-Clone War Star Wars, after all).

In recent sessions, it's become clear to me that a big part of the problem is the combination of:
1) He's just dumped points into the melee skill, so he's rolling a big pool of yellows with every attack (plus upgrades)
2) All combat is against a fixed target (rather than opposed) meaning it's hard to neutralize big pools
3) The weapon has a crit cost of 2, and he's at Vicious 6 right now (3 from the weapon, 3 from skills) which is +60 to crit rolls

Like last night I threw him up against a nemesis bounty hunter. He managed to get into range, but this guy was pretty tough himself, with adversary 2 -- and the droid had failed a stealth roll with two Despair, which I turned into two difficulty upgrades on his next check. So he rolls YYYYG vs RRPPBB. Hits with 1 triumph and 2 advantage, meaning two crits. The first ends up being 80 + Vicious 60 = 120 -- the target is stunned for the duration of the encounter (has no action). The poor guy didn't even get a chance to shoot back (which sucks because he was tricked out with things to give the droid a hard time). At least I trashed the droid's tricked out vibro-ax.

Not having as much combat specific stuff is a good solution, but it's hard in practice for two reasons:
A) We've got several other people in the party who have also built combat characters. Not having combats isn't really viable because they all want to feel useful, but that droid just trivializes them.
B) It can be extremely hard to create a sense of threat and tension because even things I don't intend to be combats get pushed very hard in that direction because I mean, poo poo, why wouldn't you just want to hit everything with your ax-wielding murder-droid?

At this point I'm about to just take the gloves completely off and throw some pissed-off jedi outcasts at him.

Ion Grenades.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hubis posted:

He had them, but got essentially disabled by an absurd crit on the first round and couldn't use them :qq:
In retrospect, I should have just chucked ion/stun grenades down every hall as soon as the doors opened, but the PCs had convinced him they were surrendering so he boarded cautiously, but had at least the veneer of good faith. Oh well. I think at this point it's clear the party has earned a "Dead Or Alive" treatment from here on out.

So the setting was a nemesis bounty-hunter doing a forced boarding of their YT-1300 in space. The players had enough warning to try and set a trap (the droid hid around the corner) but the bounty hunter was smart and stopped to do a scan before moving past the airlock from his breaching transport. He calls out the droid, the player asks for a stealth roll and I allow it -- like I said, he rolls two despair which I elect to spend upgrading his next check twice. So he moves in and rolls his attack against a pool which is about as ridiculous as I can make it (upgraded five times) but still advantageous to him. He crits, giving my NPC a condition that means he can't take any actions for the rest of the encounter. He's suddenly completely neutered.

Anyways, the hilarious part is what happened for the rest of the encounter. While the other players man the guns and fend off another Z-95 that's flying cover for this guy, he uses his maneuvers to panic and back up his breech airlock and hit the emergency disconnect -- pushing him and his ship away, and sucking (blowing?) the droid out into space if he doesn't make an Athletics check. The Droid, of course, decides he'd rather just go for it and says he wants to try and leap out and latch onto the separating spacecraft. He makes the Coordination roll, and the bounty hunter keeps scrambling up into the ship and seals the hatch (using free moves from disadvantage rolled). This metal monster then proceeds to pry open the hatch (Mechanics with Brawn instead of Intellect for a base). The bounty hunter, who can still only use maneuvers, tries to evasively roll the ship and throw the droid out the airlock, but no luck. This silicon psychopath then calmly grabs the pilot and rips off his sealed helmet, watching him die a gasping death in the cold vacuum of space.

My players are monsters.

e: also, no lie, my randomized movie soundtrack playlist started playing the title music for The Terminator when he pried off that hatch.

Ion Mines.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Also, two Despair on a Stealth roll is easily at least one free attack from the enemy before the Droid can act, not just a Challenge Dice upgrade. You are seriously underutilizing what a Despair means.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hubis posted:

This guy gets it.

Thanks, this is definitely useful. Although honestly even if he popped off an ion grenade it wouldn't have changed anything, since it only does 10 strain, which would still be reduced by the droid's 8 soak.

I made the mistake of printing out some of the "things you can spend advantage/triumph/threat/despair on" cheat-sheets, and I've gotten a lot of push-back from players when I try and do stuff that isn't a listed example -- they even argued "you can't upgrade twice" before I shut that down. Riding that line between letting the players feel like they've got agency and letting the GM say "this is just how it is" is tough.

On the other hand, the party's front-man did sort of get molested by a Lady-Hutt crimbe boss while trying to negotiate a contract when his attempt at seduction sort of got out of his control, so I guess I need to count my victories.

Your players are missing the point of the system and are far too concrete in their thinking. Worst kind of players to GM for, in my opinion... you need to start moving away from forcing rolls for relatively mild or meaningless poo poo, and then taking liberties and focusing on the narrative with the rolls that are actually made. This system isn't D&D, the dice don't make or break what's happening, they facilitate the narrative, that is all.

In that Despair example, the first Despair should have given him a free attack, and the second should have meant that the ion grenade the guy threw wasn't a grenade, but a limpet mine that attached to the droid and bypasses his soak. Let the NPC actually roll his Mechanics or Ranged Light to figure out the damage, but conveniently give the guy that Saboteur talent that makes crits easier on explosions or upgrades their blast effects. If the player bitches at you for not playing fair, tell him it's not your fault that he sucks at Stealth, he should have considered that when making the character.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, seriously. At this point, a Hutt should have taken notice of these guys and sent out a crack Bounty Hunter team to track them down and either take them out or bring them in... setup a huge ambush for them and if/when they lose, they get taken before a Hutt and then thrown in a Rancor pit or forced to fight with their bare hands in some sort of demented arena on Nal Hutta or whatever. There's plenty of options, YOU just need to think outside the box if your players refuse to.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Swags posted:

Introduce some intrigue. Introduce problems that a vibroaxe just CANNOT fix. Any fight without adding drama/plot is just people jacking off dice all over the table, so integrate some story in these fights that must be done while the fight is going on, because if it's just a numbers contest, murderbot is clearly going to be the victor.

This is the key. You haven't given us much in the last few weeks of you complaining about murderdroid, but it sounds like your campaign just features a lot of combat and the party hunting poo poo down... what's the overarching plot? Where's it going? There are always plenty of options to spice things up and change gears, you just need to explore them.

EDIT: Also, we need more games running in TGR, dammit!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Or a Slicer programs a mouse droid to sneak up on him, jack into his circuit board, and give him a bunch of Willpower checks to avoid being hacked. If he gets hacked, the slicer turns him against his own crew (you give him control of this, you simply make it clear that his command programming has been erased and the entire crew has been marked as a threat) and they have to figure out a way to either take out the slicer before murderdroid kills them all, escape him, disable him, or somehow override the hack and reprogram his memory banks.

Set it on a mostly deserted space station and physically separate the players into different rooms so they don't know where he is or what he's doing, and turn it into a game of cat and mouse through this abandoned station which also has booby traps in it for both the party and the murderdroid, and to top it off throw in some mynock swarms and trapped puzzle rooms to spice it up... he'd be like the droid Predator, hunting them down.

EDIT: I actually had a friend sorta do this once in a Shadowrun game... our Decker/Rigger got hit with Black ICE that actually fried his brain, so the ICE made him start hallucinating and seeing the team as Corp security via surveillance cams and poo poo. I had him sit in another room at the computer and I had my own laptop in front of me with the rest of the players. I would type out and send him instructions on what he was seeing and what his options were via Skype, and he would just sit and talk into his mic and I had an earpiece in my ear. His actual Decking interface was an IRC channel in which he'd type out commands and crap and I'd have dummy logins for each ICE or security firewall that he'd go up against, so he'd be busy doing his thing on the side while the team was actually doing the run.

Thing is, I did this regularly for him whenever the team did a run and he was remotely jacking in, so the entire time he OOCly really thought he was helping out even though his drones and the security turrets were shooting up his own team. In the end one of them figured out what was happening and ended up running outside, kicking open the door to the van, and shooting him in the back of the head, but still... it was a hilarious session and the players all enjoyed it and thought it was a great twist. Doesn't work as well with Star Wars and a droid, but you could figure something out.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 21, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Darwinism posted:

How well has this game aged? I'm considering picking it up, because I am a tremendous Star Wars nerd, but I'd love a rundown on the strengths/weaknesses that people see in it.

Uh, considering it's only come out in the last two years and thus isn't that old... um... it's good?

Did you just not read the OP?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683721

You all need to sub characters for this game, yo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The best is when someone rolls both a Triumph and a Despair, since those don't cancel. Always hilarious.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm tempted to run a real world WW2 game using this system, simply because I like the dice. Am I dumb?

More specifically, a Wolfenstein: The New Order game set in Nazi occupied America in the 1960s.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

You should be adapting Inglorious Bastards actually

I had pondered running a one off game on here based on The Great Escape/Von Ryan's Express, but you're escaping from an Imperial Prison.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Everblight posted:

What's the Luksankya up to when it's not buried under Imperial City on Coruscant?

Probably being built. And then promptly buried under Coruscant.

Question for Stay on Target owners:
How robust are the fleet/flight rules? Could I conceivably run a BSG game with it?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Even with just the core book, there's enough material there to hack this into a better Shadowrun game than any published edition of Shadowrun. :v:

You can say this about most other systems. I had toyed with the idea of hacking this system into an Avatar system, with each type of bending being its own career with various specializations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

Then you get the bounty hunters, because you just ripped off someone with enough money to make you pay dearly.

And thus an awesome adventure is born.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Madurai posted:

The Kelly's Heroes setup seems like it would also work for an Imperial campaign.

RIP ImpGame. :smith:

Was bummed that it never made it to the 100 Duty upgrade stage... I was going to loop in a Force user (Asoka Tanno, if anyone cares) as an antagonist and the upgrade was going to be the party returning from a mission to be debriefed and finding Darth Vader force choking the Moff to death, because he was pissed she'd interfered with his tracking of another target (and his old padawan). Then he's threaten them but then decide that they were more useful to him as assets and they'd start working directly for Vader, hunting down Jedi. Thought that'd be a neat twist. If any of them died, they could reroll as Noghri as well as humans, and I was gonna roll a couple dice to decide how many and who amongst the group apparently had some Force sensitivity, and Vader would start training them to better hunt Jedi.

Ah well. If any of you wanna steal that campaign idea and such, go for it. I had seriously considered pitching it to FF along with the rest of the Imperial stuff as part of an Empire splat for AoR, but eh... probably wouldn't happen with Disney running the license.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

I think it'd be fun to run a game as Imperial loyalists. Not the people stationed on the Death Star, or the bridge crew of a Star Destroyer, but normal joes who grew up in the waning days of the Republic and who bought the "we're reorganizing into an Empire" line at face value.

There's some fun to be had playing as someone who believes in the government, and legitimately believes that the Alderaan incident was just propaganda. See things from the other side, so to speak.

Yeah, that would be a great Colonist game, really. Section 96 was supposed to be more like an anti-terrorism 24 Jack Bauer style "do whatever it takes to bring the terrorists to justice" but in the end, particularly with certain scenes/characters it became more of a "let's be rear end in a top hat Gestapo" sort of thing. I think the unnecessary cruelty rule we adapted from that blog was part of it, plus people's impression of the Empire as it is.

Really sad that the Clone game died... I was really enjoying that one and thought it was an awesome premise.

I think I might just start running rolling one shot games that are less about progression and more about using the (extra) experience you start with to good effect... small 2-4 player games with one shot stories that last about a month, then move on to a new story with new characters/players. Probably would work better with PbP anyway.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I revived that Clone game, someone else post! Especially Mustache!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

There's also flavor and how some races have neat special talents, like how Chiss can see in the dark.

Once my exam is over, I'm gonna start running a series of loosely interconnected one off games in TG since there aren't many active games going... The goal for each story will be to play fast and lose with a couple people, and they'll be setup/themed like films. If anyone has any interest in that, keep a look out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Judgement posted:

I think I went completely the opposite direction with my droid as everybody else in that he doesn't give any fucks at all about droid rights or emancipation. The way he sees it, if they're letting themselves be pushed around by the organics then they deserve everything they get, and should actually work for acceptance rather than feeling like they're entitled to it. The fact he was built as a seven foot tall machine of death that may or may not have been originally intended as an assassination droid, rather than a three foot tall garbage can with no opposable digits, doesn't factor in at all and the rest of those droids just need to learn to lift themselves up by their own footcuffs.

Please tell me your droid was made by United Nanoworks of Kuat, Limited (aka U.N.K.L) and is designated T0-M)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 31, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's the Face career in a game that tells you it's all about shooting storm troopers and being Rogue Squadron, so predictably people tend to not bother making one when they could just make a character who's better at shooting/flying/shooting while flying.

Nobody wants to be Princess Leia!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

MadDogMike posted:

I dunno, the fact they're apparently pretty from the outside but their nobility are utterly ruthless backstabbing bastards has loads of possibilities to me. Great for a party with face-type characters and shooters because being embarrassed is as deadly to them as assassins, and they will use both approaches as weapons themselves.

Thyferra is also great for this, as is Alderaan, actually.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

homullus posted:

Lords of Nal Hutta came out, what, Thursday? By Saturday, the FFG Game Center was down to like three copies.

I think people would devour an Imperial sourcebook, and it would work for all three Star Wars RPGs.

They would but I get the feeling it will never happen because Disney controls the IP and Star Wars is really, really being pushed hard as the feel-good kid-friendly IP of the millennium, and playing as Stormtroopers would sorta undermine that company policy.

That said, you can play as the Empire in the board games, so here's hoping. Maybe I should pitch my ISB campaign idea to FFG witht he details ironed out so they can turn it into a campaign or something...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Uh, look at the specs. You could easily fit several speeder bikes in the back of a YT-1300. Hell, you could fit more than one Landspeeder in one. The ship is BIG. Like, almost half a football field big. It looks flat, but if you actually think about it in terms of real space, it's almost a two story house. There's plenty of room in there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FishFood posted:

If a talent is unranked, you are always counted as having it, so you can skip over it in a tree if you already have it. It's kind of an obscure rule, but it's there.

Yeah, you don't have to pay for a talent twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I wish my nieces were less girly and more dorky and I could do this sort of stuff with them. Sounds awesome. :unsmith: