Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What were the aliens added in the new Colonist book? Any interesting stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 6, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mister Bates posted:

I'm in the process of GM prep for the first adventure in an upcoming campaign; I've written a little mission briefing/dossier thing with a summary of the adventure I'm planning on running. It's here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15D0BhN32YYmeq6pHV3q_zDOLa5VBPaQ5ja_eVRxorAg/edit?usp=sharing The short summary is 'infiltrate and sabotage a repair and refit facility currently overhauling a Star Destroyer'.

Anyone have any advice on running this mission, or changes they'd make, or interesting twists/snags to throw in? Bear in mind it's a starting party, although they've got a dozen or so Rebel mooks in their cell they could potentially bring along.

The first thing I can think of is the disparity between a site meant to refit a Star Destroyer and the idea that it's a low-priority backwater. Especially a site capable of refitting six capital ships. In my eyes that sounds like a significant facility that the Empire would be extremely interested in maintaining and protecting. Similarly the idea that the site responsible for creating armor plate isn't strategically important also doesn't make sense, especially since as you specify the location is responsible for the majority of armor plate production. A site like that would have classified data on the ships its refitting, classified data on the armor plate itself, and would also be located close to the ships being refitted (since moving megatons of armor plate takes a lot of energy). There also remains a question of motivation; why does the Rebellion care about this strategically insignificant site?

That said I like the core premise and think you could do something with it. You're tasking your group with infiltrating, looting, and then sabotaging a poorly defended Imperial site so that it causes maximum damage. The elements of the damaged VSD offer some interesting ideas and give the Rebels a sense of urgency. What if the site really was a backwater refitting area mostly intended for refitting unimportant ships like cargo vessels, but the arrival of the VSD Incorrigible has caused a dramatic shift in the strategic importance of the site? Perhaps the site was the closest place the Incorrigible could perform emergency repairs and the Rebellion only has a brief window to take advantage of this and perform some sabotage? That would explain why such a critical location was previously considered irrelevant (armor plate on a bulk freighter?) and why it now offers something to exploit.

You could also use this as an opportunity to have the Rebels strike at the Star Destroyer itself. Perhaps the Incorrigible has suffered significant damage to the shielding of its reactor and RM-89 is the only location in the system capable of producing replacement parts. Now the Rebels have multiple levels of success. The best benefit would be if they infiltrate the site and sabotage the plating so that it destroys the ship when they install it. Perhaps a lower benefit would be to destroy the site so that the VSD is trapped, allowing the Rebels to perform a follow-on attack.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Duty and starting resources are weird.

So my 3 player party starts with 15 duty each, which if they don't spend down makes them basically like colonel equivalent going by the chart later in the book? I think I'll just mandate they must XP swap down to 5 or fewer to start with.

And 500 spacebucks worth of gear seems like, barefoot Confederate conscript dangerously ill equipped. I am gonna go with "a rifle and/or pistol with up to one sensible attachment, and whatever is reasonable for your MOS."

I always assumed that the spacebucks was for your personal gear, and you'd be issued other stuff as needed. Made more sense for the Rebellion than being some random dude trying to make a living.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Clanpot Shake posted:

So here's a lore question that's been kinda bugging me lately. In Force and Destiny, the Jedi are this almost-lost near-mythological shattered order and the force itself is all but forgotten. Okay. But when Anakin was growing up, the Jedi are like, super well known. They get involved in state affairs in some of the major core planets, sit in on senate meetings, heads of state defer to their advice, etc. They seem very well integrated into the ruling class and it's not like any of that is a secret. They build giant temples out in the open on major core worlds. They're the opposite of a secret order. So how do you explain them going from non-secret ruling class magicians to urban legend in the span of like, 2 human lifetimes (Anakin and Luke)? No propaganda machine is that good at making something so large disappear.

I realize asking Star Wars to make sense is a pretty tall order but what's the given reason for this?

I think a big part of it is that the Universe is a really huge place, and given how few Jedi there actually were it would be rare to encounter one. Combine that with a systemic purge by the Empire and it would make sense that a relatively small group of folks with a religious bent would stop being something people remember. Especially folks on some backwater planet who may have never heard about them if they hadn't been wiped out.