Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Droids are the best. I'm having a blast playing a Protocol Droid that's dumped everything into Deceit and Charm and just schmoozing/lying his way across the galaxy. Half the time I'm going around deliberately mis-translating Hutts and Sand People to start poo poo; the other half I'm dodging restraining bolts because I'm just simple property.

All Droid, All Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

homullus posted:

I mentioned this before, but it's also worth making the players raise the stakes themselves. When Challenge dice are getting rolled and a player is getting cocky and doing something risky, ask the players before the roll what they think is the worst thing that could realistically ("realistically") happen. Despair comes up? It happens.

This is what we do. We'll always posit "okay, the worst possible thing here would be for a stray shot to take out our landspeeder so don't roll any Despair" and the like. It makes it a hell of a lot funner when the group comes up with the worst of the worst because it makes it so much more personal.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Bah, droids are the best. I've mentioned my Droid that's all about Cunning and Deceit before. I play off the fact that no one would ever suspect a protocol droid of lying right to their face and sling dice to back it up. It's hilarious. We get a crazy amount of leverage, and I do a little Skulduggery and Charm on the side when needed. Rolling a Despair can be fun if you're a droid with a quick thinking GM - I was lying to a local cantina owner over something or other, failed miserably with a Despair, and the barkeep decided the faulty droid without any owner was clearly open for salvage rights. I've been dragged behind a speeder, stolen by Jawas, targeted by imperial forces for stealing a star ship...

Droid character is best character. You're only limited by imagination in an RPG.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I'm coming to loathe the Influence F&D tree. One of my players got the second Control upgrade that allows you to add your Force check to a charm/negotiation/etc check and is just steamrolling everything with some really lucky force dice rolls. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that this character is basically purely charm and negotiation and tries to do a charm or negotiation on EVERY NPC. If an NPC is anything but openly cooperating with every request the players make it's "I'm going to try and Charm him".

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate my players working a more social angle instead of blasting everything and the idea of a Force-backed smooth talker makes a lot of sense, it's just really really annoying.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, I started that discussion and the party agreed that on an individual basis getting a random seller to be freer with the credits or convincing a barkeep to divulge the name of an important quest NPC isn't, of itself, negative and worth Conflict; a character that basically mind whammies every NPC they talk to with every roll IS, though.

It's a new player, and one that's the sort that needs to enthusiastically offer a suggestion to EVERY situation/scene/encounter, even when there's other avenues that other players might offer. And the other players kinda want to encourage them to speak up and think outside the box so it's a hard situation.

The bit about remembering is interesting and something I should think about. I like that quite a bit.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, I need to remember passing a Charm check doesn't mean a switch has been flipped and suddenly their disposition is all sunshine and rainbows. They might be more willing to drop a tidbit of information or sell something for cheaper, but it's not a magic "give me what I want" roll here.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I talked with the Influence-laden player in question and I think we came to an understanding, which is great. She's not going to be throwing around Influence on every check, mostly because we talked and she decided it's out of character for her hippy "spread the love around man" character to be fudging people's brains up.

"I'm only going to use it for emergencies, I think."

That exact same session another player's Obligation came up, a player with a pretty big bounty on their head. With a series of poor rolls, the bounty hunter is closing in on the party at the same time Cloud City's Winged Guards are. A three way discussion and standoff ensues, and the Influence-happy character IMMEDIATELY steps in to Influence the captain of the Winged Guards to be a little more antagonistic when dealing with the Bounty Hunter. I upgrade a purple to a red, of course.

Despair.

The captain immediately realizes he's being manipulated and calls in for backup to help with the "jedi". Before things get too far out of hand our party charmer (Smuggler) steps up to try and smooth things over and convince the captain that maybe what he thought happened didn't really happen.

Despair.

"Look, I know she's a Jedi, but she's one of the good ones, okay?"

Captain naturally freaks the gently caress out, hysteria ensues as the party scatters every direction trying to flee while also keeping the bounty hunter from finding their quarry.

All in all a successful game if I say so myself.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, any character with Jury Rigged can start dealing death absurdly easy. From what I remember, the "change any single effect by one" means you can change Autofire to 1 Advantage and you're now dealing crazy death with a Heavy Blaster Rifle or above. Jedi powers scaling unevenly isn't nearly as bad as some of the combos you can pull with other character. I'm not sure if it still holds up, but a Doctor Punchface character used to be some of the best damage you could get if you stacked talents right.

In most campaigns, pulling out the crazy Jedi moves is also probably going to pull an absurd amount of notice as well so it's somewhat self-balancing.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Which is the best part of the game - non-binary results.

Success with drawbacks
Success with advantages
Success with Awesome Triumphant Effects
Success with Catastrophic Setback
Failure with drawbacks
Failure with advantages
Failure with Awesome Triumphant Effects
Failure with Catastrophic Setback

It makes failure still an interesting option, unlike most games where failure is a "no" and can stop gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Drone posted:

It takes a normal class 2 hyperdrive around 10 days to cross the known galaxy, give or take.

That's not what's shown in the book. P247 of Edge of the Empire shows one to three weeks to cross the galaxy in a Class 1 Hyperdrive and you multiply the time by the class of the Hyperdrive: Class 2 is x2; Class 3 is x3, etc. Class 1 hyperdrives are not installed in most regular old ships, meaning that the average time to cross the galaxy from end to end is somewhere between 14 and 42 days depending on which lanes you travel.

Ignoring the Astrogation check, which could speed things up.