Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
You only apply the properties of the firing weapon on the initial attack, but once you spend the advantage to trigger the second weapon its qualities then apply. If you check the FFG forums there’s a “Developer answered questions” thread with the details in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Plus as a GM you can choose to spread your autofire hits out- the problem is PCs dumping 3 hits dealing 12+ damage each into a single Nemesis and killing them in one action. That’s more of a problem with the Heavy Blaster Rifle than anything else, autofire on a SE-14c isn’t OP. If you want to rebalance it, just ban PCs from allocating multiple hits to the same target- each autofire trigger hits someone new.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

jivjov posted:

The Maw was in Solo...
But the Death Star was now built on Geonosis/Scarif.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Admiral Joeslop posted:

For a theoretical Edge game, is there any reason not to offer all the careers from Edge and AoR? Same for Species but I imagine there's much less of a difference there.

Later splat careers tend to be more interesting- CRB ones for AoR and EotE are full of fairly dull ‘add boost/remove setback’ talents, with fewer new abilities like Scathing Tirade/Improved Researcher etc. So you might want to point this out if they’re all open.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Commissar Canuck posted:

There's talk amongst our group of starting back up EotE after a few years off. I don't have the books handy, but would I be able to make an Exiled Guardian multiclass at character creation? Or would I have to add a second class later? Would this even be a wise choice at character creation?
RAW no, you need to buy a 2nd class later, doing it with starting XP is a bad idea as buying up attrbutes is much more important. You could always ask your GM for an extra 15XP on top of starting XP to spend on classes/talents though.

Dawgstar posted:

Has anybody toyed around with making attribute increases easier to come by? I've been looking at the two main Republic sourcebooks and seeing the canon folks in there and how a PC isn't going to measure up and that's always felt a little unfair when I see it in a game.
1000% do not do this. Those NPCs are intended to be threats to entire parties, once player characters get attributes of 5-6 it gets incredibly difficult to challenge them. If say the combat char has Brawn 6 Agility 5, then any NPC that can possibly threaten them will be able to oneshot anyone else in the party whilst taking no damage from their attacks.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Dawgstar posted:

Appreciate it. As a first-time FFG GM, that would absolutely be one of the ways I would break the game trying to be helpful to players.
It’s not necessarily that hard to boost attributes too -there’s cybernetic limbs that can add to Brawn or Agility.

Other things to be careful of include autofire and heavy blaster rifles- don’t let people use the Jury-Rigged talent to reduce the Advantage cost of triggering the Auto-Fire quality, otherwise they can spend 1A as many times as they want to score an extra hit dealing full damage. With the heavy blaster rifle, the highest base damage unrestricted weapon, this is Super Overpowered (as my group’s Bounty Hunter who regularly did 3-4 14-16 damage hits with a career high of 60 post-soak damage will attest).

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Dawgstar posted:

So what's this I hear about starfighter combat not being super good? Is it a case of not everybody having something to do on-board the ship or just how the rules treat vehicles?
An x-wing has 10 HT and 3 armour. A TIE has medium lasers with 6 base damage, linked 1. An attack which gets 3 successes, 2 advantage will one-shot an x-wing from full health. When most attacks are just against difficulty 2, 1 setback, this is not hard to roll.

Unlike in personal scale combat, you can’t pick someone back up after a fight and pump them full of stims so they can contribute in the next encounter either. That’s it, you’re limping back to base if you can pass a difficulty 4 mechanics check, otherwise you need to find someone with a spare back seat to give you a lift.

PC ships *really* need more survivability.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
One of the big advantages of the flat difficulties is that even non-combat characters can reliably do something in a fight. If you switch to opposed checks, which typically have higher difficulty, you’ll see them very quickly stop engaging in combat because they’ll just fail and generate a ton of threat (a possibility currently, but only against foes with high defence and lots of Adversary).

Opposed Ranged vs Ranged checks as a way to quickly resolve things like mass combat or unimportant fights can be good.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I’d just use RPGsessions instead of a heavyweight VTT- it was designed specifically for SWRPG (then Genesys) and has a good, minimal interface. You can import NPCs from swa.stoogoff.com, and characters from Oggdude (or just input them yourself easily).

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

CitizenKeen posted:

Non-Genesys question: what's the deal with the Saga System of Star Wars?

As I think about 13th Age and D&D 4E and Shadow of the Demon Lord and so on, I keep finding Saga getting mentioned. I looked it over in a bookstore once and it looked liked warmed over 3.X.

What was I missing? What did it do right? What made Saga so great?

Others may have better memories than me, but: It was one of the first times a non-indie RPG actually designed around playability and balance. For example, it simplified 3e’s constellation of debuffs like tired, nauseased etc into a single Condition Track you moved along (kind of like Disadvantage unified debuff mechanics later). Force users were (supposed to be) balanced with non-Force users, instead of just straight up better because well, that’s how it is. In general things were smoother, easier and more heroic. Still basically 3.75, though, and nowhere near as good as FFG’s system.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
The Star Wars RPG discord is a good bet to find players: https://discord.gg/starwarsrpg

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Yeah, I’d just start them off in the cantina and let then free roam if they have experience. Throw in the thugs if they spend too long discussing possible plans. Or do you still want a structured first few encounters, just snappier?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It would be a group of people that have never used the system before, besides a couple people that played the (badly run) starter adventure for the L5R RPG which was different enough. I dunno, I need to think about it more I guess.
New to the system, or new to tabletop RPGs in general? And will they be using the pregens, or their own characters?

I kind of find it a bit iffy in that one that the Krayt Fang stuff is all delivered in a clunky expo dump after the fight, and the PCs all wind up hiding in the same bar regardless of how they escaped or when. If I was going to rejig it:
  • The PCs all arrive at the spaceport (individually or in groups) in a rush looking for the first ship off-world. If they're not using pregens, ask them why they need to get off-world and away from Teemo ASAP.
  • Front desk is on lunch break so they can all mill in the waiting room for a bit, bond over their clear need for transport off-world.
  • The staff at the front desk tell them there's no ships expected for a day or two, and anyway the main dock is busy.
  • Prompts them to ask about it 'why not the ship in that dock'? Well, it's broken, besides it belongs to a bounty hunter who works for Teemo - I don't think he takes passengers unless they're in carbonite!
  • They can ask about how to fix it, and this is where you start requiring social checks and introduce the dice mechanics.
  • Throw in the Gammoreans after this bit if needs be.
Gives the PCs a bit more agency rather than having all the info on how to escape just thrown into their lap.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Just some homebrew it'd be interesting to get people's thoughts on: Into the Zone: Zone-based Encounters

Basically a port of the Imperium Maledictum Zone-based movement rules to SWRPG, as the abstract, relative movement rules can make some encounters really hard to run. Should be pretty lightweight and easy to use, so you could do it with a whiteboard or scribble on a VTT. It'd be interesting to get people's opinions on them, especially the presentation - I've tried to be straightforward but comprehensive, and I'm wondering if there's too much stuff. I think realistically I could get away with page 1, tables of example Zone effects, and the Example of Play but I don't know if the sourcebook-style expanded text helps make things clearer. Maybe it's just cargo-cult design that's aping sourcebooks where page count is always a thing you want to drive up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Epi Lepi posted:

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but also sad to this thread is dead.

Has anyone tried this game out in Foundry and are there any specific resources for it out there? Any must have modules?
If you hadn’t heard of it already, I’d recommend RPGSessions instead. Waaay easier and custom built for SWRPG.