Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Oh geez, hi everyone! There is a thread here for my comic! I figured I should probably speak up a little bit. I'm generally pretty shy about this stuff, and deathly afraid about getting muddled up in conversation or breathing down readers necks, so I try to kind of take a quieter authorial approach. I just finished chapter 7, so you can read it all back to back if you like! I can also try to answer some questions and address a few things mentioned in this thread.

Dire Wombat posted:

It feels like the author heard that stories should start close to the action and avoid exposition and took things to an extreme

This is 100% true. I wanted to go for a full out fly on the wall approach when I first started. I really like stories that just throw the reader into a world, and it's up to the reader to figure out what's going on...it took me a bit to realize that's asking a heck of a lot to a casual reader, and I tried to refine it from there, I was probably a little too ambitious going out of the gate, but I'm pretty happy with hiding in background details and clues to the story.

Cat Mattress posted:

I love seeing the dumb pack mount introduced with the same little name + title box that spooky spirits have. "Dindrane - The Riding Alpaca".

Astra had a swan named Percival, sadly he only got to be in one scene, Dindrane is a reference to that, because I am a terrible dweeb. I'd also like to do more 'Ask Lantern Zhao' Questions...the idea behind that is an 'in world' response to reader questions, but I haven't had time to do a bunch, I could definitely use some questions though. Anyway, thanks a bunch for reading!

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

A big flaming stink posted:

Compared to the standard webcomic tendency to go follow the characters in painstaking detail, taking years of real life to go through weeks, I kind of like your brand of "it's 10 years later and everyone's dead!"

Thanks! (I think). You see it in a lot of other media besides webcomics too, television shows...long running novel series. Shaking up the status quo can actually be pretty off putting to some people, I always wanted to do a project where people grew and changed over time and I'm glad most readers have been on board with that!

• Locked thread