Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Venusian Weasel posted:

This seems like a very pedantic argument, though (not you, just in general). What difference should it make in the order in which things happened in this case? Isn't "I will do x unless you do y" basically the same as "I did x, because she didn't do y"?

The talking point that's already catching on among the right here is that Perry was attempting to use his legal powers of veto to remove an irresponsible person out of an important position. I'm just confused about how the law puts him in the wrong on that, especially from some of the posts in this thread. If I'm going to argue against this narrative I'd really like to establish exactly what he did wrong.

Welcome to the legal system, the most pedantic thing in the universe. The issue with accusing Perry here is that it doesn't establish a quid pro quo; which in the American legal system requires a photo of the governor holding a contract which in no uncertain terms delineates the deal which is then notarized by 40 abyssal silithids, signed in the blood of Perry with his phylactery hung from the binding.

You don't go to jail as a politician, unless you are on drugs and are black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ReindeerF posted:

I'd bet just like there are more white welfare recipients there are more white politicians in jail. Just off the top of my head in the last few years there's been like every living Governor of Illinois, some living Governors or Louisiana, Duke Cunningham, James Traficant, Bob Ney, Jack Abramoff and so on. Of black politicians I can only think of Jesse Jackson Jr., Kwame Kilpatrick (are we going to get into mayoral level here?) and William Jefferson.

I'd definitely agree that a wealthy, white politician is going to get off with a slap on the wrist more of the time than a black politician, but just by sheer weight of numbers I think my people in politics probably still hold the edge in going to jail for crimes, heh. DON'T TRY TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM US OKAY.

Fair point, but I'm sticking to my guns that proving corruption in a court of law requires insane levels of proof.

• Locked thread