Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

No, no, I don't disagree - but even within that narrative it's all political. This is the issue. He didn't rob a liquor store, he's playing politics and they're playing politics back. There's no doubt that Rick Perry is old-school corrupt like the day is long and that all of this is entirely about political corruption, but this is about the worst case imaginable to bring against him because there's no way to unwind the actions of either side from one another.

He isn't on trial for the UT stuff or the pharma stuff or the cancer stuff or anything else, he's on trial for a political pissing match with a DA's office that's notoriously political as well and the central issue is my corrupt Governor trying to force out of office a corrupt DA. He's leaving office soon as well, so it's not really helping to remove him from power.

I think the confusion is that (at least in my view) when someone says an issue is "all political" they are typically implying it lacks substance and is only for scoring a few political points. Things like repeatedly voting to repeal PPACA dozens of times when it's obvious the Senate will never take it up and the President would veto it anyway is "all political" because it is done simply to stir up the base. I agree that's a component of this from both sides but the issue at the heart of it is a question of where the limits of power lie and if he crossed them.

The issue is about politics (specifically, the powers available to political office and how they may have been abused) but that question isn't "all political" I think is the fine grain. In that sense it's a bit like the recess appointments by Obama: it's about politics but the question of it's legality is a valid one. Which I think we agree on, it just came across differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Some useful background on subsection (c) of the Coercion section of Texas law can be found here; it's an analysis of the bill that added the subsection by the House Research Organization, and gives a bit more information on what it's about.

The wording of the subsection seems pretty broadly applicable so maybe there's jurisprudence I haven't seen yet that would limit it. If the roles were reversed could the DA threaten Perry and tell him to resign or she'll investigate him? Can the governor tell any state / county / city employee to resign or he'll veto funding for their department?

• Locked thread