Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ReindeerF posted:

Allow me to transport you to bizarro D&D, where a Republican DA is arrested for a DUI and stats calling for her buddies in the police department to bail her out and threatening officers with jail time and that's not considered corrupt.

I don't know, if the guy was actually jailed for it, served his sentence, and agreed not to seek re-election? Its not really... corruption unless it actually helps, is it? Attempted corruption, maybe? It doesn't look like it helped the DA, anyway! I'm glad to see she got jail time, and honestly think she deserved more than she got, but I'm not even sure that trying and failing to abuse one's power is actually even illegal? She's a terrible human being, for sure, but... none of that is particularly relevant to whether Perry did anything wrong or illegal, and whether he deserves jail time as well.

Perry's threat seems more like seizing that as a political opportunity to replace her with a crony than any sort of genuine concern about how terrible she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Because without the bit where "favorable legislation comes out the other" you're going to have a hard time convincing people it's corruption, duh.

I was referring, though, to the specific issue people are citing where she makes a whole bunch of threats that are not, actually, carried out, and issues a whole bunch of demands that were not, actually, met, and then she serves jail time for it.

What is this weird loving thing where people think consequences, effects and outcomes don't actually matter? It seems to be a serious conservative problem, especially, where what Democrats try to do is so so SO much worse than what Republican's actually DO do. Where does this come from?

No one here is defending the DA's right to break the law, to drive drunk OR to threaten people. I'm saying corruption is a hard challenge to bring when it doesn't actually work, but no one is denying that she definitely WANTED to abuse her position of power and authority to get away with breaking the law! She's pretty terrible, and probably should have been impeached in addition to the jailtime. Hell, if they could have brought charges against her for attempted abuse of power, it would be great.

ReindeerF posted:

It's inextricably linked with the case. It's 100% impossible to understand the facts of the case and say it has no relevance. He cited the situation in his call for her to step down.
So why does it matter? How, exactly, is it important? If you're going to make an argument, make it, don't just point at the obviously bad person and say "bad person!" and expect that to justify someone else doing something illegal, especially when the first person saw jail time for it! The only argument I can see here is that she should also get tried attempted abuse of power... and I agree, actually. But it's not super relevant?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

I think trying and failing to abuse one's power is still abuse of power. Trying and failing to bribe a police officer, for instance... Making a corrupt offer that's rejected is still a violation of the public trust. Whether the target of the bribe or offer reciprocates is immaterial to whether a crime or abuse of power was committed.
I actually honestly don't know what the law is here. But generally, murder isn't murder if you don't kill anyone, theft isn't theft if you don't steal anything, etc. and so on. 'Attempted' is generally a lesser crime, but still illegal, but I don't know what Texas law says here. I know bribery laws are generally pretty specific in that the crime is the *offering* of money in return for a favour, not the exchanging of money in return for a favour.

There's probably something about issuing unlawful orders they can bring her up on at least?

What the gently caress are you even trying to say? Do you even have a point, or are you just spewing nonsense out of boredom? Or do you really have THAT much trouble with the term "relevancy", because the things you are saying certainly don't seem relevant to the things I'm saying!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 16, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ReindeerF posted:

Well in that case, Rick Perry just vetoed funding for a department he didn't like. Murder isn't murder and not wanting to fund something you don't want to fund is just not wanting to fund something you don't want to fund. Case closed.

Are you aware that you say some really stupid loving poo poo and appear to have difficulty reading other people's posts and figuring out what they are saying and with the entire concept of one point being relevant to another point rather than just related?

"Murder isn't murder" (did you stop reading at that point and miss the 'if no one dies' bit because it's pretty important) has jack poo poo to do with whether or not some behaviour is just some behaviour or a part of some larger illegal thing.

But seriously, what is even your argument here? That Rick Perry should get away with stuff because the DA wasn't punished enough? Is that it?

Or is it just to spew bullshit with me because I'm "carrying water" for someone I think should still be in jail, somehow, because I don't think the one particular charge you want levied against her would hold up in court? Man, what the hell.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 16, 2014

• Locked thread