Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

evilweasel posted:

It's not an abuse of power to horse-trade over vetoes, and that's part of the point: a governor (or President) says "if you pass this as is, I will veto it" then you negotiate over what he will or will not veto.

It's not an abuse of power if the entire thing happens within the realm of the legislative body over issues that are relevant to that legislative body, but that isn't at all what happened here.

This case, when you look at the mechanics of it, is similar to the Blagojevich case in Illinois. Blagojevich had the right to appoint a Senator. Perry has the right to a line item veto. However, trying to sell those rights off or wave it as a baseball bat like a mobster to circumvent the democratic process is abuse of power.

Perry would have gotten to appoint her replacement. So his threat, in reality, is him saying "give me control of the position you were elected into or the funding for your entire office goes away."

Whether or not the politician in question said a bunch of stupid poo poo when she was arrested is not relevant here at all. There was no legal requirement that she step down. The governor's office clearly did not have the direct power to fire her. He was trying to trade the threat of his veto for control of an elected position he does not have direct power over under ordinary circumstances.

The second order ramifications of them maybe investigating Perry for his own corruption don't actually matter much in my reading of it either. I have no doubt the speculation about that is true, but it's not necessary to even attempt to prove that speculation. The mechanics of what happened here make it clear that this was an abuse of office.

He tried to sell control of his veto power off in return for circumventing the election process.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread