Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I would love Perry to be guilty, but this case is such an embarrassment that whoever brought it should be out of a job. This is not a crime, however sleazy. A governor is entirely within their rights to make a veto threat in these circumstances and if there's an abuse of power here its the prosecutor.

I assume "in these circumstances" refers to the DUI? The DUI shouldn't matter. Either he has the right to try and force an elected official to resign via a veto threat or he doesn't. It's not like there is a law with an asterisk next to it with the text *if convicted of a crime.

Obviously from the discussion here it may not actually be a crime under the law, but I don't like the idea of my governor having the ability to tell an elected official that if they don't resign their funding will be cut. What's to stop him from telling a state congressman that if he doesn't step down he will veto all funding for projects in his district? In a legal sense how is that different from this? I'm really asking, maybe there is something I am missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Everybody I've talked to has commented on how smug he looks in his mugshot, but I just don't see it. To me it looks like barely contained anger papered over with a fake smile. Like he can't believe these loving plebians are putting him through this process like a "normal". His eyes are screaming "I will loving bury you!"

• Locked thread