Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

buried trash or buried treasure, you decide. maybe dig up some of your own and have a good time.

quote:

>Since Nintendo controls the chips that ALL (except Tengen games)
>carts must have, they essentially have a monopoly on what games
>eventually make it to market. Along with the exclusive licensing
>agreements for games distributed in the USA, as long as Nintendo
>can control production of ALL game carts, there will be shortages
>of certain games.

Nintendo isn't stopping at just control of the production of the
games, they are also working on control of the distribution.

In the August 5th San Francisco Chronicle there was a news brief
about a new lawsuit filed by Nintendo. I don't have the paper with
me, but here's a summary:

Nintendo has filed suit against Blockbuster Video to prevent them
from *renting* out NES cartridges. The basis for the suit is that
Blockbuster xeroxes the instruction manual for each game, so
Nintendo is going after them for copyright violation.

They've been trying to stop video shops from renting the cartridges
for quite a while. This tactic may be successful. Not too many
people would rent a game without some instructions.

I have never bought an NES cartridge that I didn't rent first from
my local video shop. I pray that Nintendo doesn't manage to kill
this whole market with lawsuits.

quote:

On the subject of choosing a video game.....my five cents....

Personally, I think the Nintendo is a piece of right wing garbage akin to the
IBM PC. Slow, out of date, but heavily marketed so that mindless dweenies will
think it's the hottest thing since Zelda had her first period. I have yet TO
SEE A SINGLE GAME ON THE THING SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER THAN STUFF I PLAYED ON MY
OLD ATARI 800 SEVEN YEARS AGO.....Yes, there are some nice games, but they do
not do anything extraordinary and in fact clearly show the glaring limitations
of the thing's inferior pre-VLSI hardware.

On the subject of the Sega Genesis and the Turbografix 16. At least these guys
are using hardware invented after the Apple II, give 'em credit! The graphics
in these games are NICE! I really can't give a decent opinion as to which is
better, they're both fantastic!

But now I get to stand on my soapbox and have some fun. Correct me if I am
wrong, but isn't the Atari 7800 superior hardware wise to the NES? I heard
thing could manipulate 64 BIG sprites at once. It was developed right when
the slump hit the videogame industry, and two fantastic and innovative games
Rescue at fractalus and Ballblazer NEVER got the recognition they deserved.
I have yet to see ANYTHING on the NES half as good as these wondrous
creations from Lucasfilm. All I ever see are variations on the horizontal/
vertical scrolling find the magic trinket and or blow it up while a host of
randomly drawn stick figures get in your way theme. I'd rather pay 25 cents
in an arcade and at least get decent graphics and sound.

quote:

Um..... I think you are missing a small (yeah right) point about the Nintento
Games... THERE FUN!!!! Gee, now isn't that a novel concept, a bunch of video
games that are fun to play. In my house we have Sega Master System, Genesis
and NES. Take a guess which gets played the most? Come on guess. Give up?
The NES. Why becaue it has such FUN games as Zelda, Link, Metroid, SMB2, Metal
Gear, Fester's Quest, Double Dragon, et. al. The only thing my brothers (who
are 9 and 13) use the Genesis for (Sega Master system now sits in a closet.)
is Sports games. That's because good sports games look better on a system with
awesome graphics. My brothers still play sports games on NES too. The NES has
something that the ATARI 2600 used to beat the superior Intellivision:
playabilty. I can still give you a list of ATARI 2600 games that I would not
mind playing today, most of them were made by Activision, but there are still
some atari classics. To make a long story short (Too late :-) great hardware
does not a great system make. This is both true for PC's and Video Gaming
systems. I still prefer PC's over Macs, and NES over Genesis. As a closeing
note

GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WILL BUY!!; NOT WHAT YOU THINK THEY WILL LIKE!!!!!!!

quote:

It's just that every new (arcade) game being released is YET ANOTHER
spinoff of that entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Gaiden Ikari Double Dragon
Dudes Warriors theme and I have HAD IT with these bullsh*it excuses for
"arcade" machines. Yea there's a *decent* game here and there that gets
released like Smash T.V. and Hard Drivin' (which is more than just decent)
but even these have obvious faults which detract from thier actual
funness factor. I've only played Smash T.V. once and I finished it that one
time (no, not the complete Pleasure Dome finish). It cost me about $15.-
between my friend and me, but the point is that there's really no incentive
for me to shell another $30- or $40- bucks into this game just to find
the lousy pleasure dome. Hard drivin' is great but for 75 cents a pop
my wallet doesn't last as long as the thrill (i.e. I'd rather play pinball
for an hour than play Hard Drivin for 10 minutes).

It's very obvious to me that in general, game designers have started to
rely on the all the magnificent hardware available to them and not on
thier own creativity.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

First post. Hell yea!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well it's not usenet but someone who worked at ATARI dumped the emails from the VAX server before he left. there's supposedly some funny stuff in here if you wanna read through all of it (I don't ...)

http://www.textfiles.com/games/ATARIMAIL/

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nice to see nothing's changed 25 years later.

I wonder how many of these posters have killed themselves, or how many still consider themselves "gamers."

e:

Silver Alicorn posted:

From: KIM::CALFEE 16-DEC-1983 13:50
To: @SYS$MAIL:COINOP
Subj: Atari 800 Software Theft

It has been brought to my attention that some stolen Atari computer
software may now be residing on one or more of our VAXes.

This is intolerable.

We are a company whose existance depends on software sales, and every
ATARI game that was in a cartridge and has been put on disc and then
on the VAX is a potential leak to the outside world that can impact
sales. Any competitors' games that might be on the system could
substantially weaken Atari's cases against piracy in court. People
who participate in stealing software are risking their jobs and the
company's future.

Please delete all questionable files immediately!!!

As Jed would say, Thank you or else.
Steve Calfee

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 16, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Silver Alicorn posted:

well it's not usenet but someone who worked at ATARI dumped the emails from the VAX server before he left. there's supposedly some funny stuff in here if you wanna read through all of it (I don't ...)

http://www.textfiles.com/games/ATARIMAIL/

Thank you.

quote:

From: GAWD::NATALIE 15-FEB-1991 14:48:27.74
To: @SYS$MAIL:ENGINEER,MOMODA
CC:
Subj: NBA BRAINSTORMING

We are considering aquiring a license from the NBA for Horse, to make it more
appealing to our players and distributors. If you have some ideas on how we
could use this license, please come to a brainstorming meeting:

Date: Wednesday, Feb 20

Time: 12:00 Noon, for lunch

Where: Engineering Conference Room

Pizza & Soda will be provided.

Spaces are limited, so please RSVP ASAP.

Thanks,
Natalie

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Silver Alicorn posted:

From: KIM::MARGOLIN 15-OCT-1984 13:04
To: @SYS$MAIL:ENGINEER
Subj: Regulator/Audio III Prototype

Some rear end in a top hat stole my Regulator/Audio III prototype. It was the only
one with the new audio circuitry, and was to be tested this morning.
If you are the miserable cretin who has this board, return it by 2:00 pm
today, and I may let you live.

Thank you or else,

Jed

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

quote:

>A friend of mine who worked in a local Toy-R-Us store (Southern California)
>told me that they are selling a total of 14 SuperNES machines and 22 Genesis
>systems in the last 3 weeks. The SNES systems are not selling as fast as they
>were originally anticipated. The store has both Genesis and SuperNES running
>Sonic The Hedgehog and Super Mario World respectively. Sonic The Hedgehog is a
>major factor (and also the price) that people choose Genesis system instead of
>SuperNES...
>

>With that kind of side - by - side display, no wonder. If you gave me
>a choice of whether to play Sonic or SMW for 15 minutes (or even which
>I'd rather look at) it would be Sonic. If you have me a shot at two to
>four hours of play, I'd go for SMW. They are really different games.

Quality does not sell video games. Hype and flashy effects do. Ever
notice how all the big gaming magazines (EGM, VG&CE, etc) always put
graphics and sound on equal footing with gameplay? There's just no way
for a newcomer to make a reasonably intelligent decision. Look at all
the ads which are brimming with fancy artwork which has absolutely
nothing to do with the game in question. And reviews which claim a
game is boring and repetitive and not at all fun but has neato special
effects and ends up with an 8 out of 10 rating. Yeesh.

This sort of nonsense is okay for $9 tapes or $6 movies or $5
paperbacks, but for a $60 game? I don't know how the industry
survives...

quote:

Bizzare!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why Asians always play better video games?
Those Amercian gamers who own new and great titles like "Soul Edge" (PS),
"Figher MegaMix"(SS), "Shin Super Robot War"(PS), "Mario Kart 64"(N64),
"Rage Racer"(PS), are mostly American Asians!
And those up-to-date, English videogame web-sites are mostly done by
English-speaking Asians!
Why those horrible "XXXXX Trilogy"(PS/N64/SS)", "Crusin' USA"(N64) are so
popular among white Americans? Never have a chance to show up in Singapore
and was sold out in USA? Strange huh?
Amercian game magazines sucks too... I always read the best/latest/real
game reviews in magazines from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan. I don't speak
japanese :(
Not all Americans play bad games, just the white one.

I just want to point out the truth... I'm not a racist.....

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

otisburg what happened to the av that winson gave you

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

otisburg what happened to the av that winson gave you

i ate a ban for posting a thing in the fitness forum and then not returning to post about my reps and my sets, i guess, then it went away.

i sort of miss it tbh.

quote:

Just wanted to remind everyone that the 3DO sytem and technology is not merely a video game machine. It is also a high quality CD player, a high quality Photo-CD palyer, and an interactive TV-top device capable of doing a multitude of interactive operations. Hence, I think that even the current price of $699 is cheap compared to other machines that are just video games. Also, remember that in this day and age, hardware prices fall before you can say "hardware." Software is the king and if you consider that 3DO charges a royalty of only $1 per game disk sold, where as Nintendo and Sega charge a royalty of aroud $7 per game, you can clearly see the merits of owning a 3DO machine.

quote:

TIME named 3DO product of the year because the graphics are groundbreaking.
CnB makes the best use of texture mapping I have ever seen. IMHO it
looks much nicer than DOOM which I have played extensively on my 486/66
PC.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Otisburg posted:

Not all Americans play bad games, just the white one.

I just want to point out the truth... I'm not a racist.....

speaking as a white American I will confirm that this is true

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Otisburg posted:

i ate a ban for posting a thing in the fitness forum and then not returning to post about my reps and my sets, i guess, then it went away.

i sort of miss it tbh.

ah i see. that was a cool av, you know

From: KIM::FXL 30-JAN-1984 02:01
To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK
Subj: The first annual Jeff Boscole Memorial letter

This letter is dedicated to Jeff Boscole, someone who wasn't afraid
of sounding obscure, to speak his mind, to be strange, to be brilliant,
to play games, and to use MAIL to its fullest. I don't remember when
he left, but it was quite a few months ago.

To anyone who cares, but especially to game designers with more clout than
FXL, and to any and all people in power at Atari (not just coin-op):

Recently I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to instigate
improvements in royalties, designer credits, and game testing procedures. I
have had little success. I hereby apologize for all of the negative feelings
and anger that I am emanating because of this. After all, things are pretty
good here, and certainly better than at many companies. I do not however
apologize or regret my negative feelings about the recent release of the
Crystal Castles 2600 Cartridge. (In case you don't know, the cartridge was
released without the approval of the coin-op design team, or anybody else
in coin-op as far as I know).

This is pure theft!

And I do not even know who to blame for this!! It isn't the programmer, who is
about as mad (or worse) as I am about this situation. He was given a unmakable
release deadline (4 days instead of 3 weeks from when he was told). The game is
much worse because of this (according to the programmer Peter Niday). He had
no choice in the matter. Yet another unfinished, hurried, poorly tested game
from Atari. Won't we ever learn?

Games under license from other companies get reviewed by representatives of
that company (Williams and Namco specifically). But games developed in-house
are treated like they are in the public domain, while the original design team
of in-house games is treated like dirt.

This is not an isolated incident either. Atarisoft, as a matter of policy,
takes Atari Coin-op games, lets outside companies "convert" them for home
computers (like Commodore 64, Vic-20, Apple 2, TI-99 and IBM-PC), and then
produces them, all without the creative input or advice of the original design
teams (just talk to Ed Logg about Centipede, or ? about Battlezone). Atarisoft
does not ask anyone over here at coin-op for approval for the final version,
but they do show the final version of the game to someone in the legal
department. On the more positive side, there is a chance that Atarisoft will
contribute to the Engineering Product Bonus Plan in a manner similar to 2600,
5200 and 800 products. Wouldn't it be nice to have that guaranteed and in
writing? And shouldn't there be designer credits on Atarisoft products?

It's ironic that my name is on the packaging of the 2600 Crystal Castles
cart, a product which I only saw an early version of. Yet when I told people
that the message ("programmed by Franz Lanzinger") appeared in level 10 in the
coin-op version I was told to take it out, or I loose an amount of bonus to be
determined. Boy did that make me mad !!! I complained vocally, but only to be
promised that a designer credit policy would be worked on. This policy is still
"being worked on" eight months later. Now really. It's not that hard to do,
just look at movies, books, not to mention Stern, Mylstar, Simutrek, Sente,
even 2600 carts. If there were a policy right now, credits could be in in time
for the Crystal Castles kits. As it is, I am still mad about the whole thing.
Imagine Speven Spielberg directing a film, but not getting credit. How would
he feel? Are we cogs in a machine? I am not a number !!! This isn't 1984!!
(well OK, maybe it is).

While I'm at it I would like to get one more thing off my chest (right
on!!). You may know that the current "coin-op engineering product bonus plan"
(shouldn't it really be called a royalty plan ?) is out of date. The most
recent legally binding document (if it is legally binding) is dated March 26,
1982, and it expired at the end of 1983. It is my understanding by reading
that memo that the bonus plan is still in effect, but it can now be " extended,
enhanced, discontinued or otherwise modified to meet management objectives ".
In other words, Atari has the legal right to screw us any time they want.
Personally, I would feel much more secure, happy, and motivated to work hard,
if there were an updated royalty plan without a gaping loophole like that.
After all, there are plenty of precedents for people getting screwed here.

I am tired of fighting a brick wall. So I will resign myself to the facts
of life at Atari. These facts seem to be that change is virtually impossible
when suggested by a single empoyee, but mindbogglingly fast if management wants
it. And I will continue to feel bitter now and then (like right now for
instance).

How do you feel about all this? How do you feel about 40% 30% 30% (the
"golden handcuffs")? How do you feel about 1% under 10M, 2% over 10M? How do
you feel about designer credits? How do you feel about the delays in actual
payment of royalties? (I still don't have a cent for Crystal Castles, and it
has been seven months since it started to earn millions for Atari).

What can you, anyone who cares, do to make me, Joe Piscopo (oops, make that
Franz Lanzinger) feel less bitter? Well, misery loves company. Please tell me,
better yet, tell your favorite manager, supervisor, or even CEO, how you feel
about these issues. It may not change a thing, but maybe your powers of
persuasion will succeed where mine failed.

Until next year, (when I will write the second annual Jeff Boscole memorial
letter)
FXL
(the X stands for "eX trouble maker")

P.S. please send your answers to @SYS$MAIL:JUNK, or to someone in a position
to take action, best would be both.

P.P.S. If there are any inaccuracies, please let me know. The facts are to
the best of my recollection, some of it is hearsay.

tl;dr version: Some guy bitching about his poo poo job.

e: There's a lot more e-mails about getting credit in games and that sort of stuff after this one, if interested in that sort of stuff search for the above block of text here and scroll down a bit.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 17, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

quote:

Today, after a confrence with all of the managers and district manager of all
the Babbage's Ect. stores in out district, (Babbage's, Software Ect.,
Funcoland, Gamestop, and more), we sadly removed all of our Xbox promotional
items.

Why, you ask?

Well, let's just say that Sony is not very happy with the fact that our
company reserved 1000's of Xbox's in one month.

To express how displeased they are with us, Sony decided to BLACKMALE the
largest video game retailer in North America. A company that accounts for 30%
of their Playstation profits. Their terms were that either we remove all of
our Xbox promotional items at all of our stores, or else they will not ship
any of out stores product. Under the pressure, Barns & Nobel, (owners of
Babbage's Ect.), folded.

There's simply too much at steak. Xbox is 9-10 months away and PSX is still a
very big seller, as is PSX software. Minus the PSX and PS2 shipments, we will
lose face with out custamers, and lose profits as well.

This time next year when Xbox and Game Cube hit Sony may regret the actions
they have taken. They will no longer be in a position to threaten anyone.

It has also been brought to my attention that Sony has made simular threats
to the number two video game retailer, EB, and they to folded under the
pressure. Sony has throughly pissed of and angered the people who they need
desperately to be their best frineds; retailers. It isn't hard talk someone
out of a PS2 and into a Sega Dreamcast. I did it five times today.

Sony's arrogance is a burden on the indusry, and will prove to be their
downfall. More power to Sega, Microsft, Nintendo, and Indrema. I wish success
to them all. As for Sony, I think they'll be paying for their mistakes for
some time to come

I just quoted this one for BLACKMALE tbh

Huh, all this has happened before, an all of this will happen again:

quote:

Whoever started this crap about the sexism in games should be drug out
into the street and have a bullet put into their head. What's the big deal
about this topic, did some knucklehead want to see how many responses he could
get with this subject? If you want to get some discussions that mean something,
type about how NEC had to bail out from the TG-16 or how big a putz Nintendo of
America is.
These are the kind of postings that do nothing but clutter the network
up and are a pain to go over. Sexism in the real world can be taken seriously,
but in a video game? All I can say to this individual is that no planet would
lose its orbit underestimating your stupidity.

P.S.
If you want a real 16-bit system, buy a Genesis

quote:

From: BERT::MEYETTE 16-DEC-1991 13:13:38.24
To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK
CC:
Subj: FREEBIE

Free for the taking:

13" CGA display with touchscreen sensors.
CGA color adaptor card.

If you want them, come to the Components Lab and take them.

Rick

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 17, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
These e-mails are the gift that keep on giving.

quote:

Finally, as regards coin-op programmers reviewing the consumer products
before they go out, how could I possibly disagree that the coin-op guy needs
creative approval (control?), especially when his name is going on the box.
We wouldn't want to be embarrassed now, would we? Steve Calfee and his
Damned Consumer Division Software Assholes can shove it if they think they
can get away with this kind of insolence. LONG LIVE COIN-OP, THE REAL
ATARI!! We can start another interdivisional Holy War at the drop of a hat
(or the drop of a game cart?). Back to the good ol' days of them 'n us!
Sure, we'll share the building, but share ideas? Sacrilege! They can blow
it out their VCS's! Or maybe we could join forces and revolt against
"marketing" or "management" or some other dark and evil force in the company
who is taking an unenlightened approach to running the business. It's so
easy to see and address the whole scheme of things (the pressures of running
a factory, answering to stockholders, balancing the corporate budget,
forging a new corporate management structure and a new corporate environment
in the wake of one of the most embarrassing fiscal performances of recent
history, and doing so with the lingering morale problems, etc.) from the
engineering building in Milpitas.

e:

quote:

From: KIM::PETROKA 3-FEB-1984 11:33
To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK
Subj: a response to Rubin

I sit and read the credits at the end of movies.
-CP-

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 17, 2014

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Thank you or else.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I found this one rather charming, particularly the bolded bit:

quote:

From: ERNIE::TRAEGER 25-SEP-1985 17:43:04.19
To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK
CC:
Subj: FEAR AND LOATHING ON THE COIN OP TRAIL

FEAR AND LOATHING ON THE COIN-OP TRAIL

FOR THE PAST SEVERAL WEEKS I HAVE BEEN TRAVELLING ACROSS THE LAND, TALKING WITH
DISTRIBUTORS AND OPERATORS, AND LEARNING HOW TO SELL OUR PRODUCTS. THIS MEMO
WILL TRY TO SUMMARIZE SOME OF THE THINGS I HAVE LEARNED DURING THESE TRAVELS.

I. GENERAL INDUSTRY OVERVIEW

IT DOES SEEM THAT THE INDUSTRY IS COMING BACK SOMEWHAT. MOST DISTRIBUTORS
HAVE BEEN STATING THAT THEIR BUSINESS SEEMS TO BE PICKING UP SOMEWHAT AND
THAT THE OPERATORS ARE STARTING TO BECOME MORE HUNGRY FOR PRODUCT THAN THEY
HAVE BEEN IN SOME TIME.

OPERATORS, TOO, HAVE BEEN SEEING MORE POSITIVE SIGNS. ON AVERAGE, I WOULD
SAY THAT OPERATORS EARNINGS HAVE BEEN UP AROUND 5% OVER THE SAME PERIOD
LAST YEAR. WHILE THIS DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE REAL HIGH OF AN INCREASE, IT'S
A LOT BETTER THAN THE 20% DECLINES WE'VE SEEN THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS.

THE GENERAL FEELING AMONG OPERATORS AS TO THE COMEBACK OF THE INDUSTRY STEMS
FROM A COUPLE DIFFERENT REASONINGS. FOR ONE, THE OPERATOR IS BEGINNING TO
FEEL THAT MANUFACTURERS HAVE BEEN COMING OUT WITH BETTER PRODUCT LATELY...
AND THIS PRODUCT IS STIMULATING INCREASED REVENUE. AS WELL, I THINK THE
OPERATOR IS FEELING BETTER ABOUT THE MANUFACTURERS ABILITY TO PRODUCE GOOD
PRODUCT AND REASONABLE PRICES. ESPECIALLY WELL LIKED ARE THE SEVERAL
SYSTEMS AVAILABLE (NINTENDO'S AND OURS) AS WELL AS THE WIDE VARIETY OF LOW-
PRICED KIT PRODUCT.

GOING INTO THE AMOA, ONE THING IS CERTAIN...THE OPERATORS WHO ARE LEFT IN
BUSINESS SEEM TO BE THE OLDER, ESTABLISHED GUYS WHO HAVE BEEN AROUND THE
BLOCK A FEW TIMES. THEY SEEM PRETTY BUSINESS SMART AND WON'T JUST BUY
ANYTHING THAT COMES OUT. THEY CONSIDER ROI ISSUES CAREFULLY AND MAKE
DECISIONS BASED ON THE EFFECTS TO THEIR WHOLE ROUTE. THEY SEEM TO BE
EXTREMELY PRICE SENSITIVE AND WILL USUALLY OPT FOR LOW PRICED WHOLE GAMES
AND KITS TO COVER THEIR ENTIRE ROUTES RATHER THAN INVEST HUGE SUMS OF
MONEY FOR A LOT OF HIGHER PRICED EQUIPMENT, EVEN THOUGH THAT EQUIPMENT
MAY BE EARNING MORE THAN THE LOWER PRICED STUFF.

II. WHAT'S HOT OUT THERE

ONE OF THE HOTTEST THINGS GOING IN THE INDUSTRY RIGHT NOW IS CLASSIFIED
AS "REDEMPTION EQUIPMENT". THESE ARE THOSE CRANE GAMES, ETC. THAT YOU
PUT COINS INTO, MOVE A CRANE ARM AROUND, AND TRY TO PICK UP PRIZES LIKE
LITTLE STUFFED ANIMALS, RUBBER SPIDERS, PLAYING CARDS, ETC. THESE
THINGS ARE EARNING A TON OF MONEY ALL OVER THE COUNTRY (WHERE THEY'RE
LEGAL) AND HAVE A LOT OF DISTRIBUTORS AND LARGER OPERATORS EXCITED.
THEY ARE TYPICALLY QUITE EXPENSIVE (6-7,000 BUCKS) AND ALSO REQUIRE A
WEEKLY INVESTMENT IN PRIZES BY THE OPERATOR.

ANOTHER HOT CATEGORY, PARTICULARLY IN THE MID-WEST AND EAST COAST ARE
"ACTION ORIENTED" PIECES SUCH AS SKEE-BALL AND ELECTRONIC DARTS...
PARTICULARLY ELECTRONIC DARTS. IN THE MID-WEST SOME DISTRIBUTORS SHOW
ROOMS LOOKED LIKE DART SUPPLY SHOPS WITH ALL SORTS OF DART ACCESSORIES FOR
SALE. AS WELL, MANY DART LEAGUES HAVE FORMED IN THE BARS AND STREET
LOCATIONS AND SEEM TO HAVE GREATLY SPURRED ON THE INTEREST OF ELECTRONIC,
PUB-TIME DART ACTIVITY. INTERESTINGLY, DART ACTIVITY OUT ON THE WEST
COAST IS NEXT TO NIL, WITH MOST THINKING THE CLIMATE HAS MUCH TO DO WITH
IT'S LACK OF SUCCESS...BUT, WOW, IT'S BIG BACK EAST!!

OPERATORS ALSO SEEM QUITE APPRECIATIVE OF THE SEVERAL CONVERSION SYSTEMS
THAT HAVE BEEN PRODUCED. THEY DO SEEM TO FEEL THAT SYSTEMS ARE GOOD FOR
THEIR BUSINESS AND THAT MANUFACTURERS HAVE REALLY ATTEMPTED TO HELP THEM
WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF SYSTEMS. ONE THING, HOLDING THEM BACK, HOWEVER, IS
A VERY REAL APPREHENSION THAT SOME MANUFACTURERS ARE NOT AS DEDICATED TO
SYSTEMS AS THEY WOULD CLAIM TO BE. IT WILL TAKE A LITTLE TIME TO PROVE TO
OPERATORS THAT OUR SYSTEMS ARE FOR REAL, BUT THEY ARE COMING AROUND. THE
RELEASE OF "DOOM" IS MEANING GREAT THINGS TO THE OPERATOR'S BELEIF THAT, HEY
THE ATARI SYSTEM IS FOR REAL. WE MUST CONTINUE TO ENFORCE TO THE OPERATORS
THAT WE ARE DEDICATED TO THE SYSTEM APPROACH, IF WE INTEND ON INCREASING THE
BASE OF UNITS.

WHILE SPEAKING OF WHAT IS HOT AND ON THE SUBJECT OF SYSTEMS, I WOULD BE
REMISS IF I DIDN'T MENTION...NINTENDO. TO BE SURE, THESE GUYS ARE VERY
HOT RIGHT NOW, AND OPERATORS ACROSS THE COUNTRY SEEM TO FEEL VERY STRONGLY
THAT NINTENDO HAS DONE MORE FOR THEM THAN ANY MANUFACTURER IN THE PAST
SEVERAL YEARS HAS. WHILE THEY WILL ADMIT THAT MOST OF THEIR GAMES ARE NOT
THAT GREAT AS EARNERS, THEY ARE EAGER TO POINT OUT THEIR UNBELEIVABLEY LOW
COST AND GREAT ROI BECAUSE OF THE LOW COST. THEY ALSO LOOK TO NINTENDO AS
FIRST OUT WITH A SYSTEM AND HIGHLY SUPPORTIVE OF THEIR SYSTEM OFFERING MANY,
MANY GAMES AT THIS POINT IN TIME COMPARED TO THE COMPETITION. ONE THING
NINTENDO DID THAT REALLY WENT OVER BIG WITH OPERATORS WAS OFFERING THEIR
UNISYSTEM AS A CONVERSION FOR OTHER GAMES, NAMELY DONKEY KONG. WHILE THEY
INITIALLY STRUGGLED TO SELL BASE UNITS, IT SEEMS LIKE OFFERING THE SYSTEM
FOR CONVERSION OF DONKEY KONG AT A REASONABLE PRICE REALLY DID THE TRICK.

A FINAL WORD HERE, WOULD BE THAT IT DOES APPEAR THAT OLDER ORIENTED GAMES
HAVE BEEN DOING QUITE WELL. SEVERAL OPERATORS AND DISTRIBUTORS TOLD ME THAT
THEIR NUMBER ONE PIECE THIS YEAR HAS BEEN THE QUIZ GAME TRIV WHIZ. WHILE
THIS GAME DOESN'T SHOW UP IN POLLS AND AT ARCADES, I THINK THAT OVER THE
BROAD SPECTRUM, OPERATORS ACROSS THE COUNTRY WHOSE BREAD AND BUTTER
ARE DEFINATELY THE BARS AND GIN MILLS, NOT ARCADES, WOULD MAKE THE SAME
CLAIM AS DID OUR DISTRIBUTOR DAVE GILFOR, OF ACTIVE AMUSEMENTS IN PHILLY...
..."I THANK GOD FOR TRIVIA GAMES THIS YEAR!"

III. COMPETITOR UPDATE

HERE'S A BRIEF UPDATE AS TO NEW GAMES AND RUMORS I HEARD OUT ON THE ROAD,
MOST OF THIS STUFF SHOULD SHOW UP AT AMOA.

NINTENDO:
NINTENDO HAS TWO NEW GAMES FOR THEIR UNISYSTEM. A SOCCER GAME THAT REALLY
LOOKED LOUSY SHOULD NOT BE A FACTOR IN THE MARKETPLACE AT ALL, REGARDLESS
OF COST. ANOTHER GAME MACH RIDER LOOKED REALLY PRETTY BAD, BUT MAY DO OK
FOR THEIR SYSTEM..IT IS RATHER POOR QUALITY POLE POSITION ON MOTORCYCLE
WITH SHOOTING AND OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE THROWN IN...STINKO!

THERE IS ALSO RUMOR OF A ARM WRESTLING CONVERSION FOR THE BASE OF PUNCH
OUT GAMES THAT ARE OUT THERE. APPARANTELY, HOWEVER, THE GAME IS NOT
TESTING THAT WELL, AND SINCE IS NOT DEVELOPED BY THEIR HOME DESIGNERS
FOR THE UNISYSTEM, MIGHT BE QUITE EXPENSIVE, I.E. SUPER PUNCH OUT.

THE OTHER THING THEY HAVE DONE IS COME OUT WITH A CONVERSION SET-UP FOR
PAC-MAN THAT ALLOWS THOSE OLD PAC-MAN GAMES TO BE CONVERTED INTO, YOU
GUESSED IT, UNISYSTEMS. HOWEVER, THEY ARE HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH
THIS CONCEPT AND OPERATORS ARE NOT EXACTLY GOING FOR IT AS THEY DID WITH
THE DONKEY KONG UNISYSTEMS...THE PROBLEMS ARE FOURFOLD...THE PAC KIT IS
EXPENSIVE (MORE THAN THE DONKEY VERSION AND ALMOST AS MUCH AS A NEW
UNISYSTEM)...IT IS A VERY DIFFICULT CONVERSION...MANY OPERATORS ARE
RELUCTANT TO CONVERT PAC MAN'S...AND MANY OF THE PAC MAN'S HAVE BURNED
IN MAZES IN THE MONITORS AND THE CONVERSION'S LOOK REALLY POOR BEHIND THE
PHOSPHUR BURNS.

BALLY/SENTE:
NOTHING REALLY TO REPORT HERE, EXCEPT FOR A FOUR PLAYER HAT TRICK THAT IS
PRESENTED IN A NEW FOUR PLAYER TABLE TOP CONFIGURATION, NOT FOR THE
EXISTING SENTE CABINET THAT ALREADY HAS BEEN CHANGED BEFORE. THIS SEEMS
TO HAVE REALLY TICKED OFF OPERATORS AND DISTRIBUTORS WHO WERE HOPING THIS
PIECE TO BE A CONVERSION FOR THEIR EXISTING SENTE SYSTEMS.

BALLY HAS SHOWN NOTHING NEW EXCEPT FOR YET ANOTHER ARTICLE BY BOB MULLANE,
THEIR CEO, IN BOTH CHICAGO PAPERS STATING THAT HE DID NOT OPTIMISTICALLY
FEEL THAT BALLY WOULD BE A FORCE IN THE COIN-OP MARKETPLACE VERY MUCH
LONGER...IN FACT HE SAID SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT THAT BRINGING BACK
BALLY'S ENGINEERING FORCE TO ANYTHING LIKE IT ONCE WAS WOULD BE..."ALMOST
IMPOSSIBLE."

DATA EAST:
THESE GUYS SEEM LIKE THEY WILL COOL-OFF SOON BECAUSE THEY DON'T SEEM TO
HAVE ANYTHING TO GOOD UP THEIR SLEAVES...(MAYBE THAT'S WHY TOM PETTIT AND
JOLLY BACKER JUST LEFT?)...BUT YOU NEVER CAN BE SURE WITH DATA EAST...THEY
ALWAYS SEEM TO PULL RABBITS OUT OF THEIR HATS.

THEY HAVE TESTED A SHOOTING GAME CALLED "SHOOT-OUT" THAT IS SUPPOSEDLY NOT
DOING THAT GREAT AND IS ALLREADY APPARENTLY SELLING AT ROCK BOTTOM CLOSE-
OUT PRICES. ALSO, WE KNOW THEY HAVE "TANK" WHICH WE HAD IN-HOUSE AND WERE
NOT TO CRAZY ABOUT, RIGHT?

WILLIAMS:
THEY HAVE DONE IT AGAIN WITH ANOTHER SUPERB PIN-BALL GAME CALLED "COMET".
THIS ONE IS REALLY, REALLY FUN TO PLAY AND OFFERS TONS OF ACTION UTILIZING
AN AMUSEMENT PARK THEME. IT OFFERS GREAT SOUND EFFECTS AND THE FIRST EVER
1 MILLION POINT SHOT...WILL MAKE PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT SPACE SHUTTLE...ROGER
SHARPE WILL LOVE IT (BUT IT DOES END ROGER!) AND HE'LL UNDOUBTEDLY CALL IT
GAME OF THE SHOW AT THE UPCOMING AMOA.

INCIDENTALLY, THE GAME IS ON TEST AT OUTER LIMITS MT. VIEW IF YOU WANT TO
PLAY WITH IT.

CINEMATRONICS:
SURPRISINGLY, THESE GUYS ARE STILL AROUND...BUT PROBABLY JUST BARELY.
THEY HAVE A SYSTEM OUT AND ARE SHOWING A PRETTY DECENT 2-PLAYER SOCCER
GAME CALLED "POWER PLAY". IT IS PLAYED LIKE SOCCER BUT YOU CAN PUNCH
OUT YOUR OPPONENT AND HIS GOALIE WITH A PUNCH BUTTON. HEARING THAT IT
IS NOT DOING THAT GREAT ON TEST.

I HAVE ALSO HEARD ABOUT A BASEBALL GAME APPARENTLY CALLED "WORLD SERIES:
THE SEASON". DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT BUT THEIR SYSTEM DOES HAVE
VERY GOOD GRAPHICS AND SOUND CAPABILITIES, JUDGING FROM THE SOCCER PIECE.

KONAMI:
THEY HAVE BEEN SHOWING A NEW CONVERSION FOR ANY RASTER GAME CALLED
"RUSH N' ATTACK"...IT IS A RAMBO GAME ALL THE WAY AND IS REALLY PRETTY
GOOD. YOU ARE TRYING TO RESCUE A BUNCH OF TIED UP GREEN BERETS AND ARE
SNEAKING AROUND IN A RUSSIAN ARMY COMPLEX...IT'S COOL, YOU CAN KUNG-FU
RUSSIANS, SHOOT RUSSIANS, GRENADE RUSSIANS AND EVEN FLAME THROW THE PANTS
OFF OF THEM LITTLE COMMIE BASTARDS...REAGAN WILL LOVE IT...IT'S BEING
CALLED "GREEN BERETS" IN EUROPE BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL SCARED OF THE RUSKIES
OVER THERE.

SEGA:
APPARENTLY NOTHING NEW BESIDES HANG-ON, WHICH IS DOING PRETTY WELL BUT IS
RATHER EXPENSIVE. THESE GUYS ARE ALSO HEAVILY IN TO DOING THE AFORE
MENTIONED "REDEMPTION EQUIPMENT"...AND OFFER SEVERAL DIFFERENT TYPES OF
CRANE GAMES CURRENTLY.

ATARI:
I MUST MENTION THE UNBELEIVABLE REACTION WE HAVE BEEN GETTING FOR
"GAUNTLET". WORD IS DEFINATELY OUT THAT THE PIECE IS HOT AND THE WHOLE
INDUSTRY SEEMS TO BE VERY EXCITED BY IT'S EXPECTED RELEASE. EVEN
OUR MANUFACTURING COMPETITORS ARE SAYING THEY REALLY THINK THE PIECE IS
A GOOD ONE.

"TEMPLE" TOO IS REALLY DOING WELL AND SEEMS TO HAVE TAKEN THE MARKET AWAY
FOR USED "MARBLE MADNESSES" ALMOST OVER NIGHT, AS OPERATORS SCRAMBLE TO
GET CHEAP BASE UNITS TO CONVERT. WITH THE USED CABINET MARKET GONE, AND
THE GAME DOING GREAT, WE SHOULD HAVE A REAL GOOD SHOT AT INCREASING THE
BASE UNITS OF SYSTEM 1.

THE BOY STILL HANGS! CHECK THE LATEST PLAY-METER POLL...

IV. SUMMARY CONCLUSIONS

WELL ALL THIS IS FINE AND DANDY, BUT THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT CAN BE
DERIVED FROM ALL THIS THAT WE MAY BE ABLE TO UTILIZE FOR PROFITABLE
FUTURE PRODUCTS:

1.REDEMPTION EQUIPMENT PSYCHOLOGY:
KIDS ARE FEEDING QUARTER AFTER QUARTER INTO THESE THINGS JUST TO GET A
STUPID EL-CHEAPO PRIZE...SHOULD WE THINK MORE SERIOUSLY ABOUT TRYING
TICKET DISPENSORS ON VIDEO GAMES TO AWARD PRIZES SOMEHOW TO PLAYERS?
IT SURE SEEMS TO DO GREAT THINGS TO EARNINGS REPORTS!!!

2.MORE ACTION ORIENTED OR ACTIVE GAMES
MAYBE THERE IS A WAY TO SOMEHOW COMBINE THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY OF, SAY, A
DART OR SKEEBALL GAME IN COMBINATION WITH VIDEO...GOLF IS REALLY BECOMING
A POPULAR SPORT OF THE MASSES, REMEMBER THE GOLF TRAINER?

3.BAR GAMES:
WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT IT BEFORE, BUT WE REALLY SHOULD CONSIDER DEVELOPING
SOME ADULT ORIENTED PIECES...SOME SORT OF TRIVIA OR QUIZ GAME COULD BE
SUCCESSFUL FOR A SYSTEM CONVERSION.

4. SYSTEMIZING OLDER EQUIPMENT:
IT SURE WORKED FOR NINTENDO, AND IT WOULD PROBABLY WORK WELL FOR US.
SOME OF THE OLD CENTIPEDES WOULD MAKE A GREAT BASE FOR SYSTEM 1 AND WE
COULD POSSIBLY THEN OFFER A SYSTEM 1 CENTIPEDE/MILLIPEDE KIT FOR THOSE
WHO WOULD WANT A SYSTEM BUT DON'T WANT TO GET RID OF THEIR CENTIPEDES.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS...UNTIL NEXT TIME,

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

golf is becoming a really popular sport of the masses

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Excerpt from a ranting e-mail about computerized gambling. I found it amusing for reasons.

quote:

Another problem exhibits itself if the game is a multi-player
skill oriented game with monetary payoffs. As an example, consider a
multi-player space war type game where you win money by eliminating other
players and receiving what they have won so far. The house percentage
could be falling into the sun. What do you suppose would happen out in
the parking lot if you overheard the guy in the next console scream "I just
got a ship worth $10,000!" and you had just been about to return that
much to your home base before some turkey blew you out of the sky...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Otisburg posted:

I found this one rather charming, particularly the bolded bit:

I am trying to conjure up a mental image of the mid-80's arcade machine distributor who fancies himself as an HST analogue. I'm going with fat and balding but with a ponytail as the only two constants.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mega64 posted:

Excerpt from a ranting e-mail about computerized gambling. I found it amusing for reasons.

Haha Atari almost invented EVE in the 80s.

quote:

THE LATEST VS. PRODUCTS--HOAGANS ALLEY AND DUCK HUNT MAKE ME SCARED...
THESE GAMES TOGETHER IN A SPLIT SCREEN VS. SYSTEM ARE DOING OVER $1000.00
A WEEK AT FASCINATION ARCADE IN N.Y. THE PRICE FOR EACH ONE ((WITH GUNS):
A REAL CHEAP 195$195.00...THESE THINGS CAN PAY FOR THEMSELVES IN ONE DAY!!
EVEEN IF THEY DROP IN EARNINGS REAL QUICK, AT THAT PRICE IST'S A GREAT BUY.

Not strictly videogames, but an interesting slice-o-the times RE: The Ayatollah is an rear end-hole-ah:

quote:

From: ERNIE::TRAEGER 3-JUL-1985 11:48:52.28
To: @ SYS$MAIL:JUNK
CC:
Subj: OUR HELP IS NEEDED!!

I GOT WIND OF SOMETHING RECENTLY THAT I THINK WE MAY BE ABLE TO HELP OUT
ON...YOU KNOW SOPHIE AND OMAR, THE CAFETERIA PEOPLE? WELL, THEY ARE IN A
BAD WAY CURRENTLY AND COULD USE SOME HELP.

HERE'S THE STORY:

THEY ARE FROM IRAN (YOU KNOW, THAT CRAZY PLACE WHERE TERRORISM IS A NATIONAL
PASTIME). ANYWAYS, THEY ARE DESPERATELY TRYING TO GET THEIR MOTHER OUT OF THEIR
BEFORE THE  (I MEAN THERE) BEFORE THE AYATOLLAH ((?) DECLARES WAR ON MOTHERHOOD.

WHAT HAPPENED WAS THAT THEY CAME TO ATARI SEEKING A LOAN IN ORDER TO GET SOME
DOUGH TO GET THEIR MOM OVER HERE PRONTO. THEY ARE CURRENTLY TRYING TO GET
BANK LOANS, SELL THEIR CAR, ETC. IN ORDER TO RAISE SOME CASH (I THINK THE
TOTAL REQUIRED IS CLOSE TO $8,000.00)

WHAT I AM PROPOSING IS THAT WE START A DONATION POOL TO RUN THROUGHOUT NEXT
WEEK, IN ORDER TO HELP THEM GENERATE SOME CASH. WE CAN EACH CONTRIBUTE
WHATEVER WE CAN GIVE AND AT THE END OF THE WEEK WE WILL TURN OVER ALL THE
MONIES COLLECTED DIRECTLY TO THEM. PLEASE SEE EITHER SANDY BROWN OR MYSELF
IN ORDER TO CONTRIBUTE.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 17, 2014

From: ERNIE::CAMERON 9-MAR-1984 11:17
To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK
Subj: A VIEW FROM A BROAD

IF IT'S FUN, THEN IT'S BAD FOR YOU

I wondered when someone would get around to blaming video games for
inciting violence in children.
So far the electronic screen has been blamed for loss of appetite,
tennis wrist, sexual transference and the seduction of a minor.
Adults are like that. Everytime a kid is having a good time, eating
something that tastes good, or wearing something comfortable, there has to
be something wrong with it.
Frankly, I don't see video games as being any more mind-controlling
than their fathers sitting spellbound before 86 football games a week or
their mothers mesmerized by four hours of soaps a day.
You wanta talk violence? I can tell stories about games past that will
make your hair stand on end. In 1943, my mother grabbed a Chinese checkers
board with both hands, threw the marbles all over the kitchen and crashed
it over my father's head, claiming, "I will not play with thieves!"
In 1954, my husband and I were playing Monopoly with a few friends.
Knowing full well that I was down to my last $50, he demanded $3,060 when I
landed on one of his utilities. When I tried to reason with him he just
snickered and said, "You're out! Why don't you just go out and get the chip
dip and snacks?"
Had we not the children to consider, I don't like to think what would
have happened.

There are so many things in our lives that have an effect on children,
I wouldn't know what to take away. If you don't want them to see violence,
you better hide Hansel and Gretel. If you don't want them to see sex, don't
let them see a pregnant woman. If you don't want them to know terror,
protect them from Halloween; or hypocrisy, tell them Santa Claus doesn't
exist.
If you don't want them to be frightened by monsters and things that go
bump in the night, cut down the large tree in front of the house that makes
weird shadows on their walls when the lights are out and brushes against the
spouting. If you don't want them to see war and suffering, throw your body
in front of the TV set for the six o'clock news.
The other day I saw two brothers fighting for control. One boy yelled,
"It's my turn!" The other one said, "Would you flake off?" THe first one
said "I'm telling Mom!" and gave him an elbow in the ribs. The second one
said, "Get out of my face," and ground his foot into his.
A video game? Nope. A fight over a hymnal in church!

- Erma Bombeck

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

She's freaking old.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Huh, some of this guys ideas actually presage developments that wouldn't come about for decades, and he's trying to make them sort of happen with 80's tech.

He nebulously sort of invents chat rooms, cam-whoring, the PSP, and almost MMOs, just without anything near the right technology. He's caught up in the "audio" bit here, but with a little imagination you can see some familliar poo poo, just through the lens of someone with no Internet to whom the state of the art computer display technology is a CRT that displays pixelated images in a couple dozen colors

Kind of neat.

quote:

From: KIM::VICKERS 1-MAY-1984 16:06
To: @SYS$MAIL:ENGINEER
Subj: What's an Audio Game, Anyway?

This here's the first round of a VAXMAIL brainstorming session
on the subject of audio games. Please send any ideas or comments to me
and I will in turn forward them back out to everyone who has written asking
to be on the mailing list. (Let me know if you don't want your comments
broadcast in this manner.) This process will repeat with a new round every
few days until we've stormed our little brains out, at which time an in-person
meeting might be appropriate. If this type of brainstorming works (or even
if it doesn't), it might be a good way to work on other topics as well.

The first rounds can be totally off the wall (much of the stuff below
is), no ideas rejected as being too strange. Later sessions can start to
refine the ideas into something practical.

So what's an audio game, anyway?

Mike Albaugh's been wanting for a long time to do some sort of
interactive radio play. Remember the days (before my time) when you would
go to bed and turn out the lights and turn on the radio real quiet so your
parents wouldn't hear, and listen to The Shadow and all those other creepy
old plays. Most of us TV brats missed that experience, but they say the
pictures are better on radio. What if you could interact with the action?
Wouldn't it be nice to start a new fad? I'll try listing some different
categories that might come under the loose heading of audio games, in the
hope they might cross-fertilize in someone's mind.

1). CB radio became sort of an audio game for a while, and made a lot
of money before the fad died out. Just as people like Gutenburg and Ralph
Xerox helped make everyone their own publisher, the CB let everyone be their
own radio station, although with a very low signal-to-idiot ratio. I
personally think everyone should have their own TV station, but that's another
subject.

2). Some computer bulletin board services like The Source(?) have CB
simulators that let strangers talk to each other, and some even let you publish
poems, articles, etc., and pay you a royalty for every time someone reads them.
People seem to like to talk to complete strangers, and the thought of getting
paid for spewing your stupid ideas all over the globe is even more attractive.

3). The telephone seems to be one ideal medium for audio games.
Everyone has one, for starters, and most people have played games with them.
Like calling random numbers and asking if the person's refrigerator is running.
Computer abusers and phone phreaks tend to go together (the phone phreak
newsletter, TAP (Technology Assistance Program) deals with both.) The
dial-a-joke, etc. numbers are one way communications (Wozniak had an especially
bad one), but there have been a few interesting two-way phone services (almost
all in California.) One of them had two lines, one to leave messages and one
to listen to other peoples' messages. I assume the people who ran it did some
editing, because there was lots of good material on the listening line. People
say really funny and bizarre stuff sometimes, if they don't have to say it in
person. Another service would hook you up to one or more people who had
happened to call at the same time - talk to strangers without the guilt of
waking up people by dialing random numbers. If anyone knows of numbers like
this that are currently in operation, please share them.

4). A conceptual art project that I'd like to do someday is to
broadcast my life by telephone. Walk around wearing a microphone, and a
little transmitter that sends the signal to a base station, where there is
an answering machine. Anyone can call at any time and listen to whatever
you're doing. (Employers and lovers might not appreciate this.) The art
of banality, the thought of listening to someone's boring everyday events,
and knowing it's real, and live. (Oh, sounds like he's eating dinner now...
sounds like he's throwing up now...) Just fascinating stuff. I would call,
for sure, even if it was my life being broadcast (Yup, sounds like my life,
all right.) A related project is to tape record my whole life, 24 hours a day.
I need a very slow running tape recorder. I just like the idea of someone
sitting down and listening to the whole piece. Or I could sell the tapes,
in one day units. The trading of tapes could be incredible (Have you heard
August 18, '83 yet? Primo!)

5). And of course there's Phone Sex. Pages and pages of ads in the
back of Hustler, etc. $25 - $36, charge it to your Visa. The one I called
was a blatant rip-off, and you can't contest credit card charges below $50.
They must not be interested in repeat business. (If anyone knows of any good
ones, again, please share!)

6). So back to the idea of interactive plays. If they were done by
telephone, you could tell people how the phone push-buttons correspond to
commands. The number keys could be N, S, E, W, etc. for an adventure type game.
The star could be a help key, numbers could correspond to multiple choices,
etc. Most people still have no experience with adventure games of any type,
and would gladly play them if they were fun, required no extra hardware, and
didn't require you to know how to read. Much more desirable would be doing
voice recognition to determine the next move. Who wants to listen to a touch
tone phone beep in your ear while you're listening to a play? People would
be fascinated by a system that could interact with them verbally. People
often told their deepest secrets to the Eliza (psychotherapist simulator)
program, even through a keyboard. The effect would be that much greater with
voice recognition. Voice recognition would be difficult, computationally
expensive, and would need to be fairly fast and speaker-independent, for a
limited vocabulary. It is probably do-able.

7). There could also be 2 (or more) person phone games. You could
talk to the other person while you play, or you could get to know them only
through the moves that they make, as translated by the computer to you.
Your voices could be electronically disguised, vocoded, signal processed, etc.,
perhaps to the extent that the other player's speech is not even recognizable,
but comes over only as a sound effect.

8). Phone games could eventually expand into something like the Source,
where you have a menu of a number of different types of activities you can
participate in -
Games
CB / party lines
Voice store-and-forward messages which are indexed by titles
that other people can call and listen to, etc.
A menu of sound effects (might be fun for young kids, and it
would be easy to do. Type 378 and hear walruses
sneezing, etc.)

9). Perhaps Atari-Tel could sell a special phone for game play
(preferably a speaker-phone). The processor for the game would be in the
phone, and the base station would just download programs and play sounds when
the user's game phone requests them. Anyone know anyone at Atari-Tel who would
be interested in participating in this dialog?

10). How to make money at this? Albaugh's idea is not to try, just
put an ad for the latest Atari game at the beginning of the call. Credit
cards need a live operator, kids don't have 'em, and the games had better
be real good. There's a new phone service, offered by General Telephone
and perhaps Pacific Bell, which allows people who run a phone service, like
dial-the-weather, to get money from the call, which will show up on the
person's bill. You set the rate for the call - $.50 or whatever. This of
course is in addition to how much the phone company gets if it's long distance.
I believe this service is only available in L.A. currently, but if it is
expanded to other cities, we could set up whatever hardware we develop in
each major city. This is a fairly painless way for people to pay for games -
you don't see the bill till much later. Also, it's free for kids (parents
pay the phone bill.)

11). How do the economics of this work? I'm not sure. Do you have one
simple hardware system, maybe the price of a coin-op game, which can only
handle one call at once? Do you use a more powerful system, which can play
many games at once? Here's some things the hardware might need to do -

Decode touch-tone phone beeps
Voice recognition
Voice synthesis
Random access of lots of sounds, speech, music
Analog or digital signal processing of player's voice
Lots of disk space for voice store and forward
Letting multiple players talk to each other
Decode serial data from a user's game phone

12). Another idea is to not do this by phone at all, but with some
sort of audio game machine. There could be a Walk-man type machine, with
a couple of cassette tapes and a microprocessor to control the game. Seek
times are a problem. Or there is the possibility of getting a compact disk
manufacturer to add appropriate controls to let you play audio games with your
CD player. Especially if such games were played with headphones, there are
3-d spatial illusions that can be done that will knock your proverbial socks
off. CD software is expensive and the seek times are a little slow, but it
shouldn't add much to the cost of the player. The market is currently small,
however.

Anyhow (finally), these are some of the ideas that have been floating
around. Send yours, don't delay. And even if you are temporarily struck
idea-less, let me know if you want to be on the list to get further rounds
of this dialog forwarded to you.

Earl

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Otisburg posted:

buried trash or buried treasure, you decide. maybe dig up some of your own and have a good time.

Somehow console warrior posts from 1989 are magical as gently caress. These are gold.

Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1992 09:54:17 EST
From: <JMH...@psuvm.psu.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Subject: Why Zelda ]I[ wasn't good enough.

I enjoyed the first two games in the series more than this third installment.
Here are the problems with Zelda ]I[:

Most of the game is too easy. You remember Gleeok with 4 heads or the room
with about 10 Darknuts in it from the first outing? How about the boss of
the final palace and fighting your shadow in Zelda II? The game has seemingly
evolved into I wanna win! (with little effort).

To give you your money's worth because the game is so easy, they drag out the
game with lots and lots of items, puzzles, and mazes. Sure these are fun the
first time around, but sometimes they require help from someone else,
otherwise you never finish the game. Try playing _Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy_ from Infocom on the PC, or _Deja Vu_ on the NES. Has anyone beaten
these games entirely on their own? Hence, if you do complete it, you don't
have quite the sense of accomplishment if you had done it on your own (which
is one reason I've never liked crossword puzzles; too many answers I can't
fill in).

Also, running through the same areas a billion times makes me tired.
After running through Kakariko village for the thirtieth time, I felt like
screaming.

And after you have completed the game the first time, it isn't much fun the
second. I think I'll own _Super Ghouls and Ghosts_ for a much longer time
than I did _Zelda III_ because it has a lot of replay value. Zelda III, IMO,
has none. (That is, playing _Super Ghouls and Ghosts_ with stage select, for
variety).

_Zelda III_ didn't push the graphics or music capacities of the Super NES
either. I want more scaling, more mode 7 rotation, etc. There are less
impressive games, of course. _Lagoon_, for example.

The last game that I considered to be the best in the Adventure category was
_Crystalis_ for the NES, for it had all of the flavor of the original Zelda
and more. Unfortunately, I don't think Zelda III fulfilled its potential.

--John.

vintage pcmasterace argument

quote:

Pan of Anthrox <pani...@tnp.com> wrote:
>Bryan A34 wrote:
>>
>> It seems a lot of hoopla is surrounding the release of the N64,
>> just as it did the release of the Saturn and Playstation. Now, the kids
>> of the world are engaged in heated debates about who's going to "win" the
>> console wars.
>>
>> The answer is simple: Intel.
[snip]

>> Several surveys now show that PCs are the gaming platform of
>> choice, and the multiplayer gaming over the internet is only turning the
>> screws on the consoles more. With the current console market softening,
>> and Intel putting more high-end Pentiums in homes every day, the days of
>> the gaming consoles are numbered.
>>
>> And nobody will miss them.
>>

>You're a loser. Is this the same PC that 10 years ago would never want
>to be associated as a "game machine"?
>I'd like to see a PC game look as good as a Nintendo 64 game. It won't
>happen too soon. It took the PC 10 years to get simple multitasking into
>people's homes. Now that's what I call progress.
>
>--
There are some serious disadvantages to PCs as game machines (PCs can
do alot more, but let's focus on simply gaming)

1. Price - Console $199, PC $2000+
2. Complexity - Console, plug it in and play; PC - make sure you have
compatible CD-ROM and sound-card, proper CPU, enough RAM, HD space,
etc. etc.
3 Lifespan - Consoles have a useful life span of around 5 years. PCs
- yeah right, show me anyone using a PC that was cutting edge 5 years
ago

So for Net browsing and some light gaming I like the PC. For intense
games that are fast and 3-D, give me a N64 any day.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 17, 2014

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

???

quote:

From: KIM::DOWNEND 7-DEC-1988 15:11:55.95
To: @SYS$MAIL:ENGINEER
CC:
Subj: It's all done with mirrors

There is a gzmo in the focus group viewing room that you should check out.
It projects an image of a real object in space - in this case, pingpong
balls. Does it have application in a coin-op game? Let me know if you
think it has potential...
a) Could be used to "float" video from one CRT on top of another...
b) Could be used to project a fascinating image - people might
drop a quarter in just to see:
- a chain saw; wave your hand thru it.
- Rambling Ray appears and tells a joke.
- a skull appears, calls you names and "spits" at you.
- ????
c) people might pay to get inside and project their head or body part
d) ???
d) ???

game is only good if it has word "reptilian" in it

quote:

From: BERT::ALBAUGH "Dr. Bizarro" 19-SEP-1989 16:14:05.18
To: @SYS$MAIL:EE
CC:
Subj: Keep Calm

I have once again stomped a bug which somehow refuses to die.
If you are an hardware engineer, please consider including a (maskable)
interrupt for "SCOM input empty". See (or write) me for the minimum
requirments. Now, if you are a game programmer, _please_ do not attempt
to circumvent the carefully designed code in snd_com.asm for "speed" reasons
or because "it's too complicated to understand". It's complicated because
the ^&$&*^%*&^ job is complicated. In particular, trash any and all old
copies of the nefarious "keepcom.c" which keeps popping out of its little
corner of code-hell. Any version which does not include the word "reptilian"
in it is BAD BAD BAD. The version in [68k_us] is ok. If you come to me with
a coin or sound problem, and you are using the old one, I will not only
stop working on your problem right then, but I won't come back until
somebody of director or higher rank tells me to. I know this sounds petty,
but this is at least the third time I've had to deal with this, and posted
a note saying "don't do that", and it apparently never penetrates.

You might notice I haven't said precisely what is wrong with
the non-reptilian keepcom. That's 'cuz I've said it till I was blue in the
face and wanted to save it for last and in all caps:

DON'T SEND EXCEPTION COMMANDS TO THE 6502 WITHOUT SAYING SO!
IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHETHER A COMMAND IS AN EXCEPTIONS, DON'T USE IT!

There, I feel a little better
Mike

4d sports boxing had way wittier names

quote:

From: ERNIE::NATALIE 23-JUL-1990 11:15:44.41
To: @SYS$MAIL:ENGINEER
CC:
Subj: Opinion Poll for the new HORSE Game

Who are your favorite professional basketball players? I'm taking a poll,
and the winning 4 will have a satirical character named after them. Include
a funny name if you think of it, ie. Tragic Johnson, or Larry Turd.

Thanks in advance,
Natalie

tomorrow's hits: vr, fmv, being saved by our lord jesus christ, new kids

quote:

From: KIM::DOWNEND 23-AUG-1990 17:54:27.06
To: @SYS$MAIL:ENGINEER
CC:
Subj: Tomorrow's Hits

Holy Pitfighter! Look at the Ramparts on that stunt track! What's a
helicopter doing in that BMX race? And remember to toss the shoes, not
the horse. Well, those are all yesterday's games from the perspective of a
Brainstorming session. Did I say Brainstorming? Yes indeed. We're having a
true blue knock down slam bam died in the wool Brainstorming session this
Year. The format includes several concurrent in-house sessions on the same
day. This is followed by an off-site session several days later. Off-site
participants will spend 2 days/nights in the ultra-creative environment of
the Santa Cruz Mountains at the Boulder Creek Lodge and Conference Center.

IN-HOUSE SESSION: Tuesday, September 11,1990 (about 2 weeks away)
IN-HOUSE RSVP Due: Thursday, September 6,1990
To RSVP, Send Downend a 10-20 line game idea description.
Off-site session: September 30 - October 2, 1990
Space is limited so only a subset of the in-house participants
will be able to attend the off-site session.

Themes are likely to focus on video, but any ideas for a coin-operated
entertainment product are welcomed and encouraged. Here are several
topics, themes, technologies as food for thought:

- Virtual Reality (vision output & player-motion sensors that simulate
an environment)
- vechicle simulation ( ala Hard Drivin)
- CD ROM
- Growth motion object H/W (allows zoom, cinematic camera effects)
- Digitized graphics, photo-realistic looks
- Movie Themes
- Traditional Themes ( sports, driving, space, kick/punch, walk/shoot)
- Redemption
- Electro-mechanical
- Puzzle solving
- role playing
- Pop Culture themes (TMNT, New Kids OB, Simpsons etc)
- Multi-player (required unless game has the WOW for $.50 play)
- Multi-player networked (multiple screens w/1-2 players per scrn)

RSVP by 9/6: send Downend a 10-20 line game idea description.

P.S.

quote:

From: GAWD::KHODADADI "Farrokh Khodadadi" 23-OCT-1990 14:02:59.56
To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK.DIS
CC:
Subj:

From: MIKE::SMITH 23-OCT-1990 12:12:35.15
To: @SYS$MAIL:JUNK
CC:
Subj: ORGANIZATIONAL ANNOUNCEMENT

I am turned on to announce the promotion of Steve Williamson to the position of
Supervisor of Shipping, Receiving, and the Stockroom for Manufacturing.

Steve has been with Atari Games since August of 1988 at which time he was
assigned to the Receiving Department dick. Steve continued to do Receiving
and did an outstanding job of organizing and streamlining the Dick to Butt
process. He was able to reduce the Dick to Butt times from 3 plus days to
less than one without any lubricant!.

In June of this year Steve was promoted to Stockroom Leadperson and was charged
with insuring the accuracy and integrity of kitting, stocking, and data entry.
Steve once again excelled this position and has demonstrated to all of his
fellow Atarians a can dick anytime ability that is appreciated by all of us butt
heads.

Steve will have responsibility for all aspects of material control, receiving,
and shipping. I feel very turned on that Steve will continue to dick me in this
new and challenging position. Please join me and Steve and somebody bring me a
set of kneepads.

Thanx, ahh, yah yah... Tom Smith

01011001
Dec 26, 2012

Otisburg posted:

vintage pcmasterace argument

the lttp guy is right

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

quote:

Last comments:
--------------

Well there it was... The complete (???) guide to the 32/64 bits console
battle. There is a wealth of information out there on the 3DO, compared
to the other systems mentionned, which is primarily why this seems to be
our primary issue.

My experience ranges from Atari VCS, Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair Spectrum,
Nintendo console and Sega console, Atari 600XL, Atari 1040ST, Amiga 500,
Amiga 3000/25, Amiga 1200/030-50, and I've worked extensively on the
TI 99/4A, ColecoVision and Adams, PC 386's, Macintosh Classic/IIfx,
VAX and Unix workstations. Yes, I do change computers often :)

So, basically, I've been searching for the ultimate games machine, and what
will give me the best for my hard earned money.

JAGUAR: I would have opted for the Jaguar, but these reasons block me:
cartridges are quite limited in size; the optional CD module which would
make this machine truly amazing is not out, and NOT AS STANDARD. From
experience, I know it will take some time before it is supported... ;
the lack of software support: you might have the most advanced machine
in the world, but if support is lacking...

The CD32: cheap & cheerful; but there is also a lack of support (both in
software although not as harsh as Jaguar's, and in marketing); the machine
is not fast enough to handle 640x480 HAM8 mode (pseudo 256 000 colors
mode), which holds restrictions, so basically you will have 256 colors
games with some static HAM8 pictures, in 320x200 (256 Europe). Technically
it doesn't have much astounding coprocessors for texture mapping, and the
68020 at 14mhz is fairly weak to handle such a job at a high frame rate;
the 3DO in its first games handles around 24 frames per second in high
resolution 24bit mode due to graphic coprocessors and a powerful RISC CPU.
And remember that the games are written in C language! The first batch of
CD32 games are rated average (and, programmers KNOW the machine, they've
been programming Amiga ECS machines for 9 years and AGA for 2 years!),
compared to the 3DO which is a brand new system, and already the games are
diabolical...

SEGA's Saturn: From what I had read in a comparison of the CD systems soon
to be on the market, the new Sega system is still not a match to the
3DO CD-Rom system, which they found was a shame. It is just a small notch
above their current 16-bit Genesis with CD-Rom. Sega does possess the
technology to do better (if you look at what they produce in arcades), so
this one is a definite disappointment.

NINTENDO Project Reality: Well, it WILL be awesome; from what I could read,
it will basically be a Silicon Graphics Indy graphics chip set modified,
and a powerful RISC CPU. But, the big downer is: consumer availability in
1995 (read 1996 or more...), and still the use of cartridge.

3DO: The 3DO system, for me, is the clear winner, but the price is
astounding, so I will wait until it is lowered (which WILL be happening
quite soon); I will be taking Sanyo's 3DO as I believe it should be cheaper
(just as Sanyo stereos are cheaper than Panasonic, but this time, the
technology is the same...), and I will buy mail-order to still lower the
cost. It should be down to around $550. That is still quite expensive,
but you get a CD player and a Photo-CD player at the same time...
So, $550 compared to a $400 CD32, and a $500 Jaguar CD system, and it holds
up quite nicely. Especially that software support is tremendous, and the
marketing power is remarkable.

One thing with 3DO that is clear is that it's not just a games machine, and
the diversity of its upcoming titles clearly shows this. From
encyclopedias to children interactive singalongs to sports coaching
software to FMV thrill experiences (like a simulation of deep sea diving),
as well as its upcoming 3DO Entertainment Channel, it will be something
big. It started as a vision, and it will change our lives. There is no
doubt in my mind, just by looking at the marketing powers behind it. But
please! Just lower the price!!!

Source. And there's a lot more where that came from.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Otisburg posted:

(which is one reason I've never liked crossword puzzles; too many answers I can't fill in).

holy poo poo scrub loving detected

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
console war.. never changes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

25 years have passed and not a single thing has changed about nerds debating video games online

good thread OP

LaTex Fetish

Personally, I think the Nintendo is a piece of right wing garbage akin to the
IBM PC. Slow, out of date, but heavily marketed so that mindless dweenies will
think it's the hottest thing since Zelda had her first period. I have yet TO
SEE A SINGLE GAME ON THE THING SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER THAN STUFF I PLAYED ON MY
OLD ATARI 800 SEVEN YEARS AGO.....Yes, there are some nice games, but they do
not do anything extraordinary and in fact clearly show the glaring limitations
of the thing's inferior pre-VLSI hardware.

did this motherfucker ever hear of super mario bros. 3 or zelda or rygar or anything? like what in the heck games did this guy play on the NES?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
His reasoning for the 3DO being worth the money sounds way too similar to "Well it's an all in one entertainment machine!"

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ularg posted:

His reasoning for the 3DO being worth the money sounds way too similar to "Well it's an all in one entertainment machine!"
well to be fair in 1993/1994 the big thing was MULTIMEDIA and things like cd-roms and full-motion video were all the rage, so a machine that can do all that multimedia stuff for a comparatively low price was pretty appealing

also the 3do got there before the rest of the competition, so at the time of writing there wasn't anything comparable to the 3do on the console market and it looked like the system might actually have a future

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

LaTex Fetish posted:

did this motherfucker ever hear of super mario bros. 3 or zelda or rygar or anything? like what in the heck games did this guy play on the NES?

I'm interested in how he's assigning computer hardware a place on the political spectrum.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
AMD are really the libertarians of the PC hardware world.

01011001
Dec 26, 2012

LaTex Fetish posted:

did this motherfucker ever hear of super mario bros. 3 or zelda or rygar or anything? like what in the heck games did this guy play on the NES?

you have to understand that he probably never actually played a nes game

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

code:
                   ______  __  __  __  ____   _____  _____
                  (__  __)(  )(  \/  )(  _ \ (  _  )(  ___)
                    / /   / / / /\/\ \/ /_) )/ // / / /(\
                   (__)  (__)(__)  (_(_____/(_____)(_____)
                         Of CrYsTaL & A.F.L & I.N.C
                                  Presents

                    >>> TOP 20 CONSOLE GAME CHARTS 7 <<<

           1. DESERT STRIKE (MD)
            2. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (MS)
             3. SUPER SOCCER (SN)
              4. SUPER MARIO LAND (GB)
               5. SUPER R-TYPE (SN)
                6. SUPER KICK OFF (MS)
                 7. TEDDY BOY (MS)
                  8. ASTERIX (MS)
                   9. RESCUE RANGERS (NES)
                   10. E.A HOCKEY (MD)
                    11. F-ZERO (SN)
  KEY                12. SUPER MARIO BROS 3 (NES)
  ~~~                 13. MICKEY MOUSE (GG)
  1-20.-Position       14. S.C.I (C64)
   (MD)-MEGADRIVE       15. DONALD DUCK (MS)
   (SN)-SUPER NINTENDO   16. SIMPSONS CAMP DEADLY (GB)
   (GG)-GAME GEAR         17. SUPER KICK OFF (GB)
   (GB)-GAME BOY           18. DONALD DUCK (GG)
  (NES)-NINTENDO            19. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (GG)
   (MS)-MASTER SYSTEM        20. SUPER TENNIS (SN)

  MEGADRIVE .. Got 2/20 titles in the charts
 S.NINTENDO .. Got 4/20 titles in the charts
  GAME GEAR .. Got 3/20 titles in the charts
   GAME BOY .. Got 3/20 titles in the charts
   NINTENDO .. Got 2/20 titles in the charts
 MAS.SYSTEM .. Got 5/20 titles in the charts
        C64 .. Got 1/20 titles in the charts

  MEGADRIVE,MASTER SYSTEM,GAME GEAR .. Are SEGA Products
  SUPER NINTENDO, GAME BOY, NINTENDO .. Are NINTENDO Products

  SEGA Won By Getting 10/20
  NINTENDO Got 9/20

  NINTENDO would have drawn if it was'nt for this poxy C64 game S.C.I
  oh well...
drat, nintendo lost

edit: separately counting sonic 1 and donald duck for both master system and game gear is some poo poo

edit 2: actually on second thought these are probably supposed to be sales charts so yeah i guess

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 18, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i always forget that the genesis was released a full 2 years before the snes. strange.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

quote:

pre:
For information on the list format and on submitting your ratings,
consult the article entitled `ABOUT THE VIDEO GAME RATINGS REPORT' in
the newsgroup rec.games.video.

VIDEO GAME RATINGS REPORT

SEGA GAME GEAR
New  Distribution  Votes  Rank  Title
      .......*..       1   8.0  Berlin Wall
      ...2...7..       4   7.0  Castle Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
      ......*...       1   7.0  Clutch Hitter
      ...126....       8   5.5  Columns
      ....5..5..       2   6.5  Devilish
      .....5.5..       2   7.0  Dragon Crystal
      .....*....       1   6.0  Factory Panic
      2...2..22.       4   5.8  G-Loc
      .....*....       1   6.0  Galaga '91
      ......3.6.       3   8.3  Joe Montana Football
      .......*..       1   8.0  Junction
      ......*...       2   7.0  Ninja Gaiden
      ......36..       3   7.7  Shinobi
      ......33.3       3   8.3  Slider
      .......262       5   9.0  Sonic The Hedgehog
      ......*...       1   7.0  Space Harrier
      ......6.3.       3   7.7  Super Monaco G.P.
      .....*....       1   6.0  Woody Pop

SEGA GENESIS AND MEGADRIVE
New  Distribution  Votes  Rank  Title
      ......55..       2   7.5  688 Attack Sub
      ..110130..      12   5.6  Afterburner II
      ..42..4...       5   4.8  Air Buster
      ..11131...       6   5.2  Air Diver
      ..2.422...       5   5.2  Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle
      .1..1512..      10   6.0  Alien Storm
      00231000..      31   4.1  Altered Beast
      ....24..4.       5   7.0  Arcus Odyssey
      ....2242..       5   6.6  Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf
      ..2222....       4   4.5  Arrow Flash
 *    ......*...       1   7.0  Atomic Robo-Kid
      ..1..241..      13   6.3  Batman
      ...*......       1   4.0  Battle Squadron
      *.........       1   1.0  Battlemaster
 *    *.........       1   1.0  Beast Wrestler
 *    ....*.....       1   5.0  Budokan
      ....5.5...       2   6.0  Burning Force
      0.0.000222      34   8.2  Castle Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
      .....63...       3   6.3  Centurion: Defender Of Rome
      ....01410.      11   7.0  Columns
      ...22.6...       5   6.0  Crackdown
      .....*....       1   6.0  Crossfire
      ..0..2400.      11   6.6  Cyberball
      22.1.11...       7   3.3  D.J. Boy
      ..*.......       1   3.0  Dangerous Seed
      .......55.       2   8.5  Decap Attack
      .....*....       1   6.0  Devil Hunter Yoko
      ........63       8   9.4  Devil's Crush
      ......63..       3   7.3  Dinoland
      ...133.1..       6   5.7  Dynamite Duke
      ....3.51..       8   6.4  E-Swat
      .....252..       4   7.0  El Viento
      ......*...       1   7.0  Elemental Master
      .....01420      12   8.1  F-22 Interceptor Advanced Tactical Fighter
      3..3.3....       3   3.7  Faery Tale Adventure, The
      .22222....      10   4.0  Fantasia
      2..222....       4   4.0  Fatal Labyrinth
      ....2.42.2       5   7.4  Fatal Rewind
      .2.44.....       5   4.0  Final Zone
      ......171.       7   8.0  Fire Shark
      11.1111..1       7   5.0  Flicky
      ..0.0520..      12   6.1  Forgotten Worlds
      .......*..       1   8.0  Fushigi No Umi No Nadia
      ..0.011140      17   7.7  Gaiares
      .....6.22.      10   7.0  Gain Ground
      ...1233...       9   5.9  Ghostbusters
      ....011130      23   7.7  Ghouls N' Ghosts
      ....01242.      20   7.7  Golden Axe
      ...0.0105.      12   7.9  Golden Axe II
      ...0.05010      12   7.3  Granada
      .....*....       1   6.0  Hardball!
      ...5.5....       2   5.0  Heavy Unit
      ....3.3.11       8   6.9  Hellfire
      ...1010302      16   7.6  Herzog Zwei
      ...122.2.2       9   6.9  Immortal, The
      .....*....       2   6.0  Insector-X
      ..22.2.2..       4   5.2  James Pond II: Codename: Robocod
      2...26....       5   4.8  James Pond: Underwater Agent
      .......*..       1   8.0  Joe Montana Football
      ..1..1214.       9   7.4  Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football
      ......135.      20   8.3  John Madden Football
      .......135      21   9.4  John Madden Football '92
      .5...5....       2   4.0  Junction
      .....26..1       9   7.1  Klax
      ....02411.      15   7.1  Lakers Vs. Celtics And The N.B.A. Playoffs
      ...27.....       4   4.8  Last Battle
      ....3.33..       3   6.7  M-1 Abrahams Battle Tank Simulator
      ......125.       7   8.4  M.U.S.H.A.
      .....36...       3   6.7  Mario Lemieux Hockey
      .........*       1  10.0  Marvel Land
      1...1.123.       8   7.0  Master Of Monsters
      ...24.4...       5   5.6  Mercs
      ..1.214...       7   5.7  Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
      .....333..       6   7.0  Midnight Resistance
      ...1..1232       9   8.2  Might And Magic: Gates To Another World
      .....*....       1   6.0  Mike Ditka Power Football
      ...4.24...       5   5.6  Mystic Defender
      ......1.17      20   9.6  N.H.L. Hockey
      ...1.1113.       6   7.2  Outrun
      ......*...       1   7.0  P.G.A. Tour Golf
      ..3.3.3...       3   5.0  Pat Riley Basketball
      ......2341      10   8.4  Phantasy Star II
      ....3..33.       3   7.3  Phantasy Star III
      .....1331.       6   7.5  Phelios
      ..1.01212.      13   6.7  Pit-Fighter
      ..00.0331.      18   7.1  Populous
      .....02311      23   8.2  Quackshot Starring Donald Duck
      ..22.42...       5   5.2  R.B.I. Baseball 3
      ..1..1311.       6   6.7  Raiden Trad
      ....531...       8   5.6  Rambo III
      ....002211      21   7.8  Revenge Of Shinobi
      .......*..       1   8.0  Rings Of Power
      ..00..0133      28   8.7  Road Rash
      .......*..       1   8.0  Roadblasters
      .....25.2.       4   7.2  Sagaia
      ....55....       2   5.5  Shadow Blasters
      ...001132.      13   7.2  Shadow Dancer: The Secret Of Shinobi
      .242.2....       5   3.6  Shadow Of The Beast
      .1...1.51.       6   6.8  Shining In The Darkness
      ..33.3....       3   4.3  Shove It!
 *    ......*...       1   7.0  Slaughtersport
      .....00143      64   9.1  Sonic The Hedgehog
      .11.141...       7   5.0  Space Harrier II
      ...011141.      19   7.2  Spiderman
      ...1...3.5       6   8.3  Star Control
      .0...0321.      11   7.1  Starflight
      .....*....       1   6.0  Stormlord
      ...*......       1   4.0  Street Smart
      .....0.251      24   8.8  Streets Of Rage
      ....012400      22   7.3  Strider
      ....216...       8   6.4  Super Hang-On
      .0.0..2420      19   7.6  Super Monaco G.P.
      .222.4....       5   4.2  Super Thunderblade
      3121.1....       8   2.6  Sword Of Sodan
      ..2...62..       5   6.4  Sword Of Vermillion
      ..22.22...       4   5.0  Target Earth
      ..0.11321.      18   6.9  Thunder Force II
      ..0.011310      27   7.6  Thunder Force III
      0.0.003011      24   7.2  Toejam & Earl
      ....11611.      10   7.0  Tommy Lasorda Baseball
      .....2.8..       5   7.6  Trouble Shooter
      ...1.242..       9   6.7  Truxton
      .....55...       2   6.5  Twin Cobra
      5....5....       2   3.5  Ultimate Qix
      .2.4..4...       5   4.8  Valis III
      ....5.5...       2   6.0  Vapor Trail
 *    ..*.......       1   3.0  Wanderers From Ys III
 *    ........*.       1   9.0  Warsong
      ..22222...       5   5.0  Whip Rush
      ........*.       1   9.0  Wings Of Wor
      ...*......       1   4.0  Wonderboy III
      ..2.22.2..       4   5.5  World Championship Soccer
      ...55.....       2   4.5  Wrestle War
      .....*....       1   6.0  Zany Golf
      .......*..       1   8.0  Zero Wing
      .....3..6.       3   8.0  Zoom!

In this report, video games have been rated on a scale of 1 to 10,
with 10 being the best and 1 being the worst.  For each video game,
the total number of votes, the average rating, and the vote
distribution are shown.  New video games are indicated by an `*'
before their entry.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 19, 2014

  • Locked thread