Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

GargleBlaster posted:

Just curious whether people bother upgrading SSDs? (Unless it's to get a higher capacity)

I still use an Intel X25-M G2 for my Linux system and it's doing just fine. There's no deterioration on the wear indicator and things still launch instantly. Even low end budget SSDs are "faster" in benchmarks nowadays but has anyone gone from one of these ancient SSDs to a new one on the same machine and actually noticed any real world difference?
Yeah, drive failure and wanting extra capacity were my main reasons for upgrading. I started on a 96GB OCZ Vertex (it was on sale), moved to a Crucial m4 128GB and noticed a significant speed difference and extra responsiveness to my system, then replaced that (as the OS drive) with a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB and noticed slightly faster boot, program load times, and basic transfer speeds but I don't think much else in daily use. I still use the m4 as extra space for games.

The Vertex had to be RMAed within the first year and the replacement only carried a 90-day warranty. I think the replacement starting to die is what pushed me to buy the m4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
What's the holdup with 960 EVO and PRO drives? The SM961 has been out for a few months now, hasn't it? Are they concentrating on OEM supply, while they can still sell 950 drives at the current premium price point?

I know the additional performance of the 960 series is meaningless for general usage, but if it really is both faster and cheaper than the 950, then it seems worth waiting for if it's just around the corner. If it's not cheaper, I hope it will at least push 950 prices down.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

GargleBlaster posted:

Just curious whether people bother upgrading SSDs? (Unless it's to get a higher capacity)

I still use an Intel X25-M G2 for my Linux system and it's doing just fine. There's no deterioration on the wear indicator and things still launch instantly. Even low end budget SSDs are "faster" in benchmarks nowadays but has anyone gone from one of these ancient SSDs to a new one on the same machine and actually noticed any real world difference?

I had my 2500k for a long time, and upgraded for capacity. X25-m, 830, 840.

Every upgrade felt like an improvement at the time, but using those old drives in other systems, I was surprised they didn't "feel" any slower. In particular, the 2500k is using the 830 now and it feels very snappy.

I'm about to buy some nvme drive for my skylake vive box, I'm pretty sure this will be the same story.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Again, it does bear mentioning that the 600p has a warranty of 5y or 72 TB Written (TBW) over the entire product line (120GB-1TB). To put that into perspective, the 850 EVOs are warrantied for 75 TBW for the 120 & 250GB models, 150 TBW for the 500GB & 1TB models, and 300TBW for the 2 & 4TB models, with 5y on all SKUs.

It makes me want to wait for the 960 EVO, to be frank, which might launch sooner rather than later thanks to these.

Also - I still wouldn't use one for anything other than a Steam drive, but this is good news for anyone wanting a cheaper 2TB EVO: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/crucial-mx300-2tb-ssd-price,32568.html

I have a 4-year old Crucial 480GB drive that I have no complaint about, so something like this would be great. Then again, I've never experienced the magic of an EVO booting Windows instantly. Like some caveman from the early 00's, I still have to wait a few seconds for the login prompt.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Ynglaur posted:

I have a 4-year old Crucial 480GB drive that I have no complaint about, so something like this would be great. Then again, I've never experienced the magic of an EVO booting Windows instantly. Like some caveman from the early 00's, I still have to wait a few seconds for the login prompt.
I haven't sperged out and actually timed it, but it feels like I wait longer for POST to complete than I do getting Windows to boot to the login screen on an 850 Evo

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

I upgraded my X25M G2s to an 850 evo, mostly because shuffling games in and out of my 160gb drive was getting way too annoying. No noticeable difference in performance.
I think most of the improvement comes from getting rid of the seek delay of a spinner, which can sometimes be on the order of 100s of milliseconds.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Comprehensive enough?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NsXqNTZbNu8E-GyqpwuwHmm6gT8H75vS35d9cDTx9yA/edit?usp=sharing

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Maybe add a comment for 850: "plug and play, no need to do anything else like update or save 10% space"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nyaa posted:

Maybe add a comment for 850: "plug and play, no need to do anything else like update or save 10% space"
That's pretty much every SATA SSD these days 2-3 months after initial release. hosed up firmware for ages ended with the 840's rollercoaster.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
As far as I know the saving space still applies to basically any SSD.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There are two reasons to save space on an SSD:

1) Wear leveling
2) Windows and most *nix systems lose their minds under 5% free space on their system drives.

The first may be covered by the built-in over-provision from manufacturer, but leaving at the very drat least 5% overhead in your system drive's logical volume is a good idea irrespective of underlying storage tech.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

lDDQD posted:

I upgraded my X25M G2s to an 850 evo, mostly because shuffling games in and out of my 160gb drive was getting way too annoying. No noticeable difference in performance.
I think most of the improvement comes from getting rid of the seek delay of a spinner, which can sometimes be on the order of 100s of milliseconds.

What I thought. Thanks for the inputs.

The OSes do seem to have compensated a little (when I got the Intel, which was my first SSD, things were absolutely instant. There are seconds involved now, oh no!) but I think it does us a favour that most cheapo consumer stuff that 99% of the population buy is still with a spinning hard drive, so software has to be optimised with that in mind. And a 5-6 year old SSD will have no problem at all completely wiping the floor with a spinning HDD in any type of performance.

I found it interesting as I read a review of a current budget SSD and it was like "enthusiasts won't like it but...." - however, although the benchmarks were 'poor' compared to high end modern SSDs, they were way way better than the X25M G2... which indeed still seems absolutely fine.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

My old 1 TB hard drive has been getting slower and slower, to the point where I've tried every speed up process on my home PC and it still shows 100% disk usage a ton of the time. I've tried most solutions and all I can come up with is just that my hard drive is worn out. I'm thinking of upgrading to a SSD, and from what I've read in this thread it looks like the Samsungs are the most recommended?

If I do go this route what should be the steps? I'm guessing I shouldn't do a full image from my old hard drive, should I simply install windows on a new SSD and install everything new, then transfer files by hooking up the old hard drive and using something like raid2raid?

I get PC anxiety whenever I get a new hard drive and I don't want to screw my whole computer up :ohdear:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

My old 1 TB hard drive has been getting slower and slower, to the point where I've tried every speed up process on my home PC and it still shows 100% disk usage a ton of the time. I've tried most solutions and all I can come up with is just that my hard drive is worn out. I'm thinking of upgrading to a SSD, and from what I've read in this thread it looks like the Samsungs are the most recommended?

If I do go this route what should be the steps? I'm guessing I shouldn't do a full image from my old hard drive, should I simply install windows on a new SSD and install everything new, then transfer files by hooking up the old hard drive and using something like raid2raid?

I get PC anxiety whenever I get a new hard drive and I don't want to screw my whole computer up :ohdear:

First, get an SSD that's bigger than your system drive is now, if possible. Then....

Windows 10 Answer: Transfer it whole-hog using pretty much any utility you want that can smartly manage partitions so that it'll make the partition bigger. If it continues to run slow, just do a refresh.

Windows 8.1 and down Answer: New installation, transfer your stuff over as you see fit. WARNING: If you are using encryption on either your profile or your drive, you lose everything if you don't get the stuff off before you stop using that drive to boot into Windows.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You got this. Fresh install all the way.

If you gently caress up, you'll have the old hard drive. Just in case.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Ah nice - I've got Windows 10 so that will make the process easy. The only question is the SSD size, I use almost my whole TB right now, but almost all of it is games. I guess if I delete half of them and reinstall / uninstall as needed I could get away with a 500 GB to save some money and give up my steam pack rat mentality.

Are there recommended utilities for transferring the data completely over? And to confirm, refresh is something I would do to the SSD itself if I'm still getting slow disk speeds?

Thanks a ton!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just get a 1tb ssd.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tom Tucker posted:

I guess if I delete half of them and reinstall / uninstall as needed I could get away with a 500 GB to save some money and give up my steam pack rat mentality.
Just go with a fresh install then. Really not worth cloning an install that has either some weirdness going on with all the disk usage or from a drive that may be dying. Why waste a couple of hours uninstalling half your poo poo from a slow as balls drive, when you could be up and running in all of twenty minutes and install your games as/when needed.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

Ah nice - I've got Windows 10 so that will make the process easy. The only question is the SSD size, I use almost my whole TB right now, but almost all of it is games. I guess if I delete half of them and reinstall / uninstall as needed I could get away with a 500 GB to save some money and give up my steam pack rat mentality.

Are there recommended utilities for transferring the data completely over? And to confirm, refresh is something I would do to the SSD itself if I'm still getting slow disk speeds?

Thanks a ton!

A refresh is how you reinstall Windows 10. (Settings -> Updates and Security -> Recovery -> Refresh your PC -> [Keep My Files / Atom Bomb] -> Confirm)

But since most of your use is Steam, I highly recommend you take your Documents folder with you for the game saves assuming you don't transfer everything disk to disk (the save games are important. The steam game installations aren't). For program recommendations, I like Acronis, but that's not free. I think DriveImage XML is still useful and free.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Macrium Reflect Free Edition does this well. I recently used it to upgrade my main desktop's SSD and then pass that drive down to my laptop, which passed its drive to my HTPC. All three transfers worked without a hitch.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Thanks everyone!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Any worthwhile half height mSATA SSDs? The few on newegg appear to be nameless wildcards. I'm getting an older laptop soon and wouldn't mind filling that space with an OS-only drive if there's anything good out there.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

metallicaeg posted:

Any worthwhile half height mSATA SSDs? The few on newegg appear to be nameless wildcards. I'm getting an older laptop soon and wouldn't mind filling that space with an OS-only drive if there's anything good out there.

850 evo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do ze 850 evo like Lolcano suggests. The mSATA one, depending on its capacity, may not have as nice a controller and performance as the full-blown 2.5" 7-pin SATA one, but it'll still be top of the line comparatively

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I haven't seen the 850 evo in half height:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tom Tucker posted:

My old 1 TB hard drive has been getting slower and slower, to the point where I've tried every speed up process on my home PC and it still shows 100% disk usage a ton of the time.
If you have Windows 10 make sure it's not a virus or printer driver or something causing the 100% usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:ducksiren: New thread up :ducksiren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788665

• Locked thread