Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
like the core gameplay and level design is actually really good and fun but i dont think i can handle another game full of the most obtuse puzzles known to man. like, if you're masking your movie references/philosophy 101 poo poo behind 9 layers of obfuscation that involves:

1. having uselss poo poo everywhere written in english, only with the roman letters and numbers replaced with made-up symbols that follow a different convention, except for that one puzzle room where you have to spell out a word in a way that completely defies the established conventions for no real reason whatsoever. like, the riddle itself is actually clever and good but the way its implemented is like giving an exam where all the answers have to be written in upside down letters or you get zero credit, and by the way no one is told this

2. cross-referencing different wall paintings on opposite sides of the map, then putting them together in a completely arbitrary way that is not indicated whatsoever, then reading the put together image in another completely arbitrary way that is also not indicated whatsoever and again contradicts the game's established conventions of how you're supposed to read them

3. sticking the game full of loving QR codes where you might as well just replace the goddamn code with whatever it shows you when you scan it. this is slightly less tedious than having a bunch of ciphered text everywhere but still loving stupid and pointless

4. converting extremely obscure star blinks to binary, then hexadecimal, then ASCII to get the button input to get the item. wtf?

it kind of outweighs all the good things in the game. this poo poo ain't clever, it's loving tedious and boring decoder ring bullshit. like, i used to think MGS games were good at throwing in stupid poo poo whose solution defies all logic so you have to look up how to do it, but this just takes it to a new level i never imagined possible. when you're supposed to solve puzzles by just trying random poo poo with no rhyme or reason until you brute force the answer, that isn't good game design, it's a loving transparently lazy attempt to artificially lengthen the game

in summary, im really loving glad phil fish ragequit the game industry because i dont think i can handle another one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I agree.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

didn't read but fez is extremely overrated

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

like the core gameplay and level design is actually really good and fun

The opposite is true.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

when i played fez it crashed a lot (during the Fake Crash at the start my game actually crashed and i had to restart) and it was just super boring. boring levels, boring visuals, puzzles that were either absurdly easy or just not fun, etc

its a bad game

apparently one of the puzzles was so bad that people had to brute force it

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Phil fish is a good ideas guy/ crazy pr man but should never actually be allowed near the development of games

Soral
May 30, 2009

the puzzle to figure out the numbering system was good & cool and the number runes actually kind of make sense so they're cool in my book. this is unlike the cypher for the alphabet (literally just a room with a fox jumping over a dog in it next to a tablet that says "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" on it in the made up runes) and also making use of the alphabet is a total pain in the rear end unlike the number system because the numbers are easy to remember and do simple math with while the letters are just arbitrarily assigned

Soral
May 30, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

apparently one of the puzzles was so bad that people had to brute force it

actually it wasnt so much that the puzzle was bad, it was just incomplete. it is still incomplete. it is literally impossible to solve without brute forcing it. the puzzle isn't bad, the game is

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Hey guys, check out this cool game that's all about 2D platforming puzzles applied to a 3D perspective! Woops nevermind, I couldn't figure out how to make a good game out of it so instead I went with the easiest alternative: the game is about obtuse nonsense now. My bad!

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The main man Phil Phish

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fez has worse jumping physics than Little Big Planet.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also, it's boring.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
didnt read but...

im gay

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
fish did okay when you consider he's a scarf-wearing hipster retard

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i got fez for free somewhere and had been meaning to play it but i heard all this poo poo about obtuse puzzles so i didn't even bother

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PHIL_FISH/status/500321050639364098

quote:

PHIL FISH ‏@PHIL_FISH

if you're considering using an anime avatar, may i suggest instead a swastika? or a burning cross?

lmao

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
this game took 5 years to make, and i don't know if i should think that coming up with the puzzles took up most of this time because they are so overwrought, or if coming up with the puzzles was a rushed afterthought because they are so bad

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
all you need to know about fez (it's poo poo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ifue2xGFY

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The Best Gamers review of Fez is good

e: Liquid Penguins :hfive:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
no one will remember fez, just phil fish

even he knows this and tries his very best every day to find new ways to publicly poo poo his pants.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

His Twitter avatar looks like the cover for an old album that you'd see hidden away in used record stores cause it turns out the singer had sex with a 12 year old

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Lord of Bore posted:

His Twitter avatar looks like the cover for an old album that you'd see hidden away in used record stores cause it turns out the singer had sex with a 12 year old

that's probably exactly what the person in that photo would want you to think

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Lord of Bore posted:

lol this can't be real, this can't be a real post

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I choose to believe it is

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

He's correct.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I tired too hard, I know :(

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Now explain it with a comparison to Myst or Riven

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
i didn't even mention the stupid bullshit artifacts. they don't do a goddamn thing, not even help you figure out the puzzles. once they're in your inventory, you can, uh, look at them, which you might even want to do if there were a point to it. i read someone arguing that the artifacts just give the world a more lived-in feel. fair enough, but couldn't they just have had the stupid number/letter cubes lying around in houses where you can look at them all the same, just without misleadingly putting them into your inventory as if they actually matter?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Lord of Bore posted:

I tired too hard, I know :(

you almost made it. you'll get em next time.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

i liked fez but i can see why someone else might not

and yeah gently caress those heart piece puzzles

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

kmxexii posted:

i liked fez but i can see why someone else might not

and yeah gently caress those heart piece puzzles

I wiped my rear end with Fez.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its a bad platformer and its a bad puzzle game its a bad puzzle platformer

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

elf help book posted:

its a bad platformer and its a bad puzzle game its a bad puzzle platformer

you might say its a "bad game"

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
5 years to make a game in flash with nothing noteworthy or interesting in it

gj phil fish, who doesn't even know how to code and went through multiple programmers who refuse to work with him again

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
there was a lovely exorcism movie that came out like, a year or two before fez with the same gimmick of "yeah the main product sucks, but we got an ARG in the background"

people rightly called it out as being a half-assed attempt to salvage a poo poo film, but apparently that doesn't apply to indie video games because ???

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's pretty at least. Good job Phil.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
i'm phill fish, revolutionary game designer *makes platformer with zero consequences for failing to jump to the next platform*

gaming is saved from lovely japanese games *sharts really loudly, records it and posts the flac on twitter*

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

darealkooky posted:

i'm phill fish, revolutionary game designer *makes platformer with zero consequences for failing to jump to the next platform*

gaming is saved from lovely japanese games *sharts really loudly, records it and posts the flac on twitter*

"What an art. 10/10" - IGN

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Cyra posted:

you might say its a "bad game"

I might AND I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Did anyone who liked fez not use a walkthrough? P sure only idiots got anything out of that mess.

• Locked thread