Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Really hoping they'll have some proper upscaling modes so it really looks like I'm playing on a piece of poo poo 640x480 monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

New vid. Has four-player splitscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJwWd3NCJo

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, it's super old school, right down to the cars being really obviously on a pivot. I kinda wonder if they'll stay that way.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Organs posted:

realism is cancer to the racing genre
I want this inscribed on 10 golden plaques, so I can hang at least one in every room of any place I live in.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I am loving sick to death of retro visuals and art styles in games. Makes them look so generic and boring.

Sometimes - very occasionally - it is done right. And holy crap is this done right.
Helps that they're using a very distinct palette and meshes that actually look like they'd actually be done at a real production studio some time ago. The gameplay so far has looked almost like running an old 3D arcade game on an emulator, and that's a pretty nice look to go for.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I like the guitars. Sure, games at the time didn't sound like that, but a lot of the music did.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Dominic White posted:

If I remember right, this is by the same folks who are also making Sky Rogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qToWLEFJLVI

They are totally cool people and I dig their low-fi, high-res style.
While that looks cool as hell, I couldn't get it to work with my gamepad. Guess support for that isn't going up on the priority list this early in development.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Overbite posted:

Is this a rebranded TurboRun?
I know Delko Duck did art for both.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLJVpT7-CY
I'm loving loving the sound this guy has going on. Here's hoping the eventual kickstarter goes well. I know they're planning on making one happen but they wanna have something Ready For Prime Time before they start one.

edit:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

I knew exactly what game this was just by the title and I can't wait for this. Please be good because the last racing game I liked was Mario Kart Ate and I do not wanna buy that garbagebin game The Crew
Drift Stage might take a while, so why not consider buying Distance so you can play that while you wait?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:siren::woop: Big news! :woop::siren:

Drift Stage got greenlit! They'll be having a "public alpha demo and Kickstarter in January."

I am so gonna try this.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIJwWd3NCJo

You'd better believe it. :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

androo posted:

I always thought there were cycles where graphics generally stopped being timeless (Super Mario World still holds up vs very early 3D games that are an eyesore) but this may have partially proved me wrong. The low-res unfiltered texture look on the cars is loving gorgeous. I guess it's just good design and having a higher resolution to project onto.

Delko Duck's stuff reminds me of the cartoony look of the Megaman Legends games. Huge, colourful pixels on simple models, and it all just works, as a stylistic choice.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Rorac posted:

Welp, they have the Dome Zero. I am IN.
Don't forget

The Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Beat my time.

1:20.292

You can do it. I believe in you.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

flamingdawg posted:

I just find the colours a bit clashy and garish, although that one gif with a more normal coloured sky was a bit easier on the eyes. And the car 'sprites' are well done, too.
You mean the meshes or the textures? :confused:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

flamingdawg posted:

I mean the combined effect of both.
Ah, the models.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Feels great on a 360 controller, believe you me.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Jon Do posted:

Completely off topic, this was in the related videos. Not sure where to post?:

Asian Massage Parlor Camgirl

Worksafe. I don't know if I'd want to be seen watching this though.
Ironically, I was busy while watching the drift stage video (which looks cool!) and so I clicked this and then decided not to kill it immediately. In the background, i would catch a snippet of what she was saying and find the tone oddly relaxing, then look up and get creeped the gently caress out.
EW ASMR NO GET OUT

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

flamingdawg posted:

Which look like sprites.
No, they look like 3D models.

These 3D models, in fact.

So what exactly is the Expert time? I got 1:19.989 and that wasn't enough. My car was clearly in front when I crossed the finish line, too.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Well, you'd better get on that demo, then: http://supersystems.itch.io/driftstagealpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWyeCusKFk

I beat the Expert ghost :dukedog:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That corner isn't as big a timesink the one at around the 40 second mark (expert car hits it around then anyway). Expert car does it perfectly and it's one of two where you pretty much HAVE to lay off the throttle or you WILL crash into the outer wall.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, the Expert ghost does most corners pretty badly but for some reason it kept doing that one corner a LOT quicker than I could ever manage, well at least until I beat it that is. I kinda wish there was a way to disable ghosts as well as the skidmarks. I find myself instinctually drifting as soon as I'm on some.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

But keeping the personalbest file wouldn't change a thing, I've already beat the expert ghost. :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not even joking, I'm extremely hyped for 40 on-screen AI cars.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Current soundtrack is really good, but now that they've brought up Eurobeat, I can't shake the feeling I'd really like an all-Eurobeat soundtrack too. :pcgaming:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Without knowing the name of your joypad, I'd say try googling around about the Unity 3D game launcher.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Extra posted:

Now if only we can get a wipeout remake :allears:
You mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5EEJq5-g6E

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Here's hoping it stays small and any extra money just goes towards bug fixes, mod support and maybe future games.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

MyFaceBeHi posted:

I'd like to see a mobile version of this game. Probably not console, just because I doubt that the Xbone/PS4 would handle the pure 80s-ness of this game!
...what?

mobby_6kl posted:

Tried the alpha - the driving is ok, it's obviously an early version, but the graphics don't really do anything for me, they're kind of ugly and feel like trying too hard to be all retro. Maybe this'll improve too though, I'll be definitely keeping an eye on this game.
I like the style, but the map in the demo is pretty sparse on background detail. The road surface itself could do with a few more tells to give the game a better sense of speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, I'd settle for "if things work out, we might make more stuff for the game, tootles!" rather than a definite promise they don't actually know if they can pull off in the future.

• Locked thread