Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

timp posted:

1. Cut the number of starting positions in half. 2 LBs, 1 DT, 1 DE, 1 CB, 1 S, and two flexes (D) for 8 starters total.
3. Cap the number of teams at 10. Should be easy since we've had 2 dead weight teams this year.

I know I'm one of those teams, but I swear I'm trying to improve my drat team! I think if the starting rosters are smaller and benches are shortened (maybe an IR slot?), we can pull off 12 teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

old dog child posted:

I know I'm one of those teams, but I swear I'm trying to improve my drat team! I think if the starting rosters are smaller and benches are shortened (maybe an IR slot?), we can pull off 12 teams.

My mistake, I thought both the two teams who autodrafted bailed and never came back. If you're in there and trying your best obviously that's different. fwiw I feel your pain...as discussed earlier in this thread all I'm doing is going to the FA once a week, sorting by total points, filtering for the position I need, and picking up whoever's at the top of the list.

Because of that, though, even if I happen to win there's not much impact since it feels like it was all chance anyways. It's still fun to follow players and see how they do, and I am learning a lot which is cool.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
We certainly need deeper benches relative to starting positions. I'm not sure what the right answer will be, but I feel like deeper benches and a similar number of starers will be better overall.

My main league that uses IDP starts: LB, S/CB, DE/DT, and Flex. At those spots there is literally 0 reason to ever have a defensive player on your bench unless they are one of the top few in the league. I feel like we'll have more chance with fewer starters than we do now due to the sheer weekly variance from players.

Also, there is still a crapton of talent on the waiver, but I'll admit that Yahoo sucks for trying to find it. I like ESPN's interface much better. The biggest thing I like to do is to pick 1 position, LB for example, and check the box that says "Show my Team" and show all available players. I then sort by my chosen metric at the time and look at which players I want to pick up. It makes it easy to compare players on the bench to players on your team.

I'm using 8 players now that weren't on my team after the draft and have made 12 transactions so far this season (more if I was on top of things and didn't lose some FAAB bids).

In terms of how much to bid on FAAB players, it just takes a while to adjust if you haven't used FAAB before. A lot of what I bid is based on what I think others will bid compared to how much I want the player.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm totally new to IDP but I'm finding I can sort of manage (and my record shows that). Every week I check the waivers, and I generally fill in byes and injuries by looking for a player who has the most tackles for his position and isn't owned. As the season gets longer that tends to favor consistency, and it doesn't find players who are coming off of injuries (because their missed games lowers their totals) but there are enough players in most positions that it seems to be working out anyway.

Figuring out how much to bid is still tough, though. I'd rather a waiver priority system based on standings.

I also hate Yahoo. The interface is just terrible. ESPN isn't great either but I think it's better, if it allows us to do what we do here then I'd prefer it next year.

I find that when I'm watching all the games on Sunday (I have NFL Sunday Ticket) I am still mostly focusing on my offensive players for my 2 regular leagues, and only tune in to watch a defensive guy if my other guys are on the bench/during commercials. It's hard to keep track of who is in the game, too, since so many defensive players swap in and out from play to play, and the announcers almost never bother to mention it. One of my beefs with the Yahoo interface (that ESPN does not do any better) is you have to click a lot to find players' jersey numbers, which makes finding them on the field that much harder (and all those fuckers with the super long hair over their names doesn't help).

I don't mind rostering this many guys but I agree we need deeper benches and I'd be OK with cutting down the team size too if that's the consensus.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
While I'm in favor of cutting starting spots a bit, I don't think we should cut as many as some of you are talking about. It seems that there's plenty of LBs out there, and it seems they dominate the flex spot even with rosters stretched thin. I also don't think there's a significant distinction between DTs and DEs, and CBs and Ss, so here's my proposal:

Nix the flex spots
4 LBs
3 DE/DTs
3 CB/Ss
Keep bench at 5

I also think FAAB waivers are cool, but not well suited for a league like this where player values are hard to determine.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

JoeRules posted:

While I'm in favor of cutting starting spots a bit, I don't think we should cut as many as some of you are talking about. It seems that there's plenty of LBs out there, and it seems they dominate the flex spot even with rosters stretched thin. I also don't think there's a significant distinction between DTs and DEs, and CBs and Ss, so here's my proposal:

Nix the flex spots
4 LBs
3 DE/DTs
3 CB/Ss
Keep bench at 5

I also think FAAB waivers are cool, but not well suited for a league like this where player values are hard to determine.

Actually, I'm seconding this also. Especially combining DL and DBs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bid $25 for McDonald and was outbid @$41.
I bid $5 for Cameron Jordon and was outbid @$8.

Obviously I should have bid more, I suppose, but some of you guys are gonna run out of cash before the end of the season.

I guess that's the point?

Anyway I like that lineup proposal.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery

Leperflesh posted:

Obviously I should have bid more, I suppose, but some of you guys are gonna run out of cash before the end of the season.

I'm new to FAAB so I too am having trouble with valuations. I'm down to $25 and kinda feel like I bid too aggressively. Personally, the only roster change I would make is 1 DT and/or 1 CB or do 3 DL, but thats not so concerning.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Think about how much value the person is going to provide for your team. Typically you'll see something like - or at least how I look at it:

Min bid ($0/$1) for players that are a week fill-in and no one will take
Low Bids ($3-$5) for players that may be for a few weeks
$5-$10 for someone that had a good week, boom or bust with high upside
$10-$20 when you get into players that are likely low starters for the rest of the season
$20 and up as you get into tier 1 and tier 2 players rest of season

The idea behind FAAB is so that all teams have a shot to pick up a player while with a waiver system only the last place team has a shot. FAAB took me a few years to adjust to, but once I was familiar with it I like it better because I know if I want to bid enough I can get anyone I want.

As you all noticed, if you bid too much you're out of money and can't pick anyone up. You'll often see people go both ways the first few years in FAAB - some people will spend almost nothing while others will blow their budget in a few weeks. It's also a lot more interesting when no one goes to FA either because you always have to bid on who you want and plan for injuries. Our benches are probably too shallow to take that risk without people being able to pick up players at the last minute, but it's typically ok.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Pretty sure the Chris Borland outbid of $41 vs our $25 is directly due to your own post. I tend to keep quiet about players I want to pick up and I didn't even target Borland this week because I expected lots to go for him after reading about it in here

Leperflesh posted:

haha wow

Fifteen solo tackles in his first NFL start!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aredna posted:

Pretty sure the Chris Borland outbid of $41 vs our $25 is directly due to your own post. I tend to keep quiet about players I want to pick up and I didn't even target Borland this week because I expected lots to go for him after reading about it in here

Yeah I realized that.

Thing is? Even with a huge game, he's still the backup and the starter (Patrick Willis) is going to return probably by next week (he's recovering from a toe injury). For me, Borland's a promising fill-in/flex option until we see how he gets used with a healthy defense.

$25 was probably an overbid, if I'm honest.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I have so much money I don't know what to do with it

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Later in the season you can bid more. The players I picked up, I had no competition, but most weeks I would have spent $1-$2. I have a lot of money so I paid more than I normally would.

If you have most of your money and you think Borland could be the starter in the future it's worth it to get you into and doing well in the playoffs. That said I'm happy you lost since I play you again in 3 weeks.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers are about to save my IDP week

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I have no clue where to even check FAAB budget in Yahoo but I'm assuming I have a ton of cash because I forget about my lineup and make all of my moves during free agency.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Click League and then scroll down to the Standings chart. There's a column for Waiver Bdgt.

Also currently Yahoo's points tallies for Sunday are completely missing, so I guess I'll wait till tomorrow to find out where I stand.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
Cason and Davis, keep me at the top please!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm happy I finally broke 100 again. 3rd time! :woop:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My match is going to be very close tonight. I'm up by 12.5 points, and I still have Bennie Logan (who Yahoo always under-predicts)... but the Deef Ericson still has Kuechly, Fletcher, and DeCloud. A good game by any two of them and I'm boned.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

The Rising Suun posted:

Cason and Davis, keep me at the top please!

You're fine. I would think I'm going to list even if you just had one of those players. Let alone both

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

old dog child posted:

I'm happy I finally broke 100 again. 3rd time! :woop:

You've done well on the waiver wire. If nothing else you're getting great practice for however we do it next year.

This week's games are going to be interesting. We have 4 teams tied for 2nd. And everyone down to Deef - and maybe even Big Scary Black Men have a shot at playoffs still under the right conditions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok so I just added a player. Why didn't I have to FAAB? Have the settings changed? I was using the yahoo fantasy app on my phone to do it and I haven't used it for that before so I was expecting it to prompt me to enter a bid at some point but it just did the swap immediately.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Haha, I went through that last week - glad to see I'm not the only one that didn't notice.

After waivers clear all players go to FA.

edit: My best guess right now is that it cleared all players no one has a bid on to FA already, but it hasn't finished processing waiver claims yet.

edit2: If I'm right we'll see the following players picked up on waivers when they clear:
David Hawthorne NO - LB
Casey Hayward GB - CB
Bruce Carter Dal - LB
T.J. Ward Den - S
Clinton McDonald TB - DT
Dashon Goldson TB - S
Earl Mitchell Mia - DT
Johnathan Joseph Hou - CB

Aredna fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 12, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, ok, so I just caught it midway through the update cycle.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Aredna posted:

You've done well on the waiver wire. If nothing else you're getting great practice for however we do it next year.

Thanks. I figure since I had a hosed up draft, I might as well keep doing waiver stuff so it's not too easy for y'all playoff folks.

Also I'm totally going to win this week. A legitimate win against a team with a real, existing owner! Watch out, O-Rank All Stars. I'm coming for you. :clint:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

chris borland

holy poo poo,piss!

:allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

old dog child posted:

chris borland

holy poo poo,piss!

:allears:

As a niner fan of course I watched the whole game. I just kept feeling like I'd punched myself in the crotch every time he did another amazing thing.

Borland is the real deal. I feel soooo loving dumb.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Awww crap. Leodis McKelvin broke his ankle on thursday, he's out for the season.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
agh, left the winning points on my bench. thanks alot, Manti Teo.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
Casey Heyward had me worried, but Sanchez came through.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That was a close finish for me. Yahoo's dumb predictions still throw me off week-to-week, but usually I'm winning or losing by a large enough margin it doesn't bother me. This week I really had no idea until the game was done last night if I'd win.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'd like to congratulate "what's goin on here" for using the waiver to build a competitive team. Not only that, but you tied for winner of "biggest blowout" this week.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Big game this week. It could very well decide who gets the last playoff spot, and it's projected to be a close one:

I've paid no mind to how accurate projections have been throughout the season but either way, I like the suspense.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 20, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I quit using projections a while ago and used some other stats to make decisions that have turned out to be better for the most part. Some weeks I'm projected to win by 50 and lose by 20 and others I'm projected to lose by 20 and win by 30.

That got me looking at scenarios to make the playoffs:

Guaranteed (or close)
- Oliver_Sak's Team: guaranteed spot
- Stoppable Force: guaranteed spot (both #6 teams can't win this week, so it's impossible for 7 teams to have 8+ wins)
- Immovable Objects: guaranteed spot (same as above)
- *spicy* *campers*: 1 win locks, crazy stuff happens to not make it even with 0 wins

In contention
- Smash Mouth Football: 1 win locks, 0 wins depends on other teams and points
- Dee's Team: 2 wins lock, 1 win likely, but depends on
- O-Rank All-Stars: 2 wins lock, 1 win if (Dee's loses both or Queen loses both), 0 wins out
- Queen LaDeefa: 2 wins & [O-Rank goes WL or LL] & [Dee's goes LL or [Dee wins 1 and outscore Dee by 66+]]

Out of playoffs
- Hagel's Heroes
- Big Scary Black Men
- what's goin on here
- Dodgeboy19's Team

Aredna fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 20, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aredna posted:

I quit using projections a while ago and used some other stats to make decisions that have turned out to be better for the most part. Some weeks I'm projected to win by 50 and lose by 20 and others I'm projected to lose by 20 and win by 30.

That got me looking at scenarios to make the playoffs:

Guaranteed (or close)
- Oliver_Sak's Team: guaranteed spot
- Stoppable Force: guaranteed spot (both #6 teams can't win this week, so it's impossible for 7 teams to have 8+ wins)
- Immovable Objects: guaranteed spot (same as above)
- *spicy* *campers*: 1 win locks, crazy stuff happens to not make it even with 0 wins

In contention
- Smash Mouth Football: 1 win locks, 0 wins depends on other teams and points
- Dee's Team: 2 wins lock, 1 win likely, but depends on
- O-Rank All-Stars: 2 wins lock, 1 win if (Dee's loses both or Queen loses both), 0 wins out
- Queen LaDeefa: 2 wins & [O-Rank goes WL or LL] & [Dee's goes LL or [Dee wins 1 and outscore Dee by 66+]]

Out of playoffs
- Hagel's Heroes
- Big Scary Black Men
- what's goin on here
- Dodgeboy19's Team

That's awesome, thanks for figuring that out! I'm virtually guaranteed a win this week going against the abandoned audodraft team, and with Kuechly on bye I really needed that. Leading the league in scoring was a big confidence boost for me last week and I'm feeling high on my team right now. If I can make the playoffs I'll consider my first venture into the IDP frenzy a success.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Me and Smash Mouth gonna come down to the wire this week.

Tied at 145.75, each with only one DT left to play (tho mine is questionable :v:). It's all down to Buffalo/Jets.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Chuck Hagel to step down under pressure. THE loving IDP FRENZY is serious business.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got a 34-point lead going into tonight's games, but three of Stoppable Force's four remaining players are really good and I'm afraid that lead is going to evaporate. Corey White is capable of anything from 4 to 17 points, and I think if I'm going to squeeze out a victory I'll need something closer to that 17.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

I've got a 34-point lead going into tonight's games, but three of Stoppable Force's four remaining players are really good and I'm afraid that lead is going to evaporate. Corey White is capable of anything from 4 to 17 points, and I think if I'm going to squeeze out a victory I'll need something closer to that 17.

Let's just say I wasn't very concerned with my deficit after Sunday's games. Even more so after Bradham is stepping up to be what I drafted him to be so far this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Welp...if I'm not mistaken I would need to not only win this week, but I'd also need Smash Mouth Football to lose their game, AND I'd need to score 86 points more than them week in order to snag that last playoff spot. Not looking too likely at all. It's been a fun fight though!

• Locked thread