Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

gently caress!

:) :) :) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Yeah it's good as hell IMO

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

reminds me a lot of analords but more fully fleshed out

which is a great thing cause i liked analords despite its flaws (it should not have been a series of eps, one album of the best tracks would've been incredible)

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

which i guess is what chosen lords kinda was

but chosen lords didn't have vbs.redlof.b so gently caress that

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Miley Virus posted:

which i guess is what chosen lords kinda was

but chosen lords didn't have vbs.redlof.b so gently caress that

yeah hence "Chosen Lords", but yeah i agree it kind of sounds like analords a bit but i really like this new track especially the vocal part at the end is wild

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i like this track and i also like vbs.redlof.b

some good tracks :)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

it's really intricate and has a lot of detail but is still really chill to listen to. Yeah I agree it sounds like he's building on analord

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
it sounds like he is on this album but he'll surprise us all with the next

a couple years ago at least he said he had ten albums worth of material recorded that could be released

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

he still says that:

I'm in that mode now, so hopefully I'll stay in it for a while. I've got a few more things planned – at least a couple more albums, some EPs, things like that. Some more dance-y things I did about 10 years ago. Experimental things, noise things, weird things. Shitloads of stuff. They're all pretty much ready to go. I haven't mastered them yet, but I should get that done pretty quick. It's just trying to work out where to put it all and what to do with it, and nobody helps me. And all this time I'm spending now, I could be making new music, which is why I usually don't end up doing it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/aphex-twin-on-new-syro-lp-im-feeling-really-horny-about-it-and-very-smug-20140903

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

How are you feeling about the new album?
Horny. I'm feeling really horny about it [laughs]. And very smug.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I haven't mastered them yet, but I should get that done pretty quick. It's just trying to work out where to put it all and what to do with it, and nobody helps me. And all this time I'm spending now, I could be making new music, which is why I usually don't end up doing it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/aphex-twin-on-new-syro-lp-im-feeling-really-horny-about-it-and-very-smug-20140903

Sham bam bamina! posted:

quote:

How are you feeling about the new album?
Horny. I'm feeling really horny about it [laughs]. And very smug.

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:awesome: + :smug: = :aphex:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
ever notice how flim rips off the pure imagination song from willy wonka

because it totally does :smugmrgw:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

he still says that:

I'm in that mode now, so hopefully I'll stay in it for a while. I've got a few more things planned – at least a couple more albums, some EPs, things like that. Some more dance-y things I did about 10 years ago. Experimental things, noise things, weird things. Shitloads of stuff. They're all pretty much ready to go. I haven't mastered them yet, but I should get that done pretty quick. It's just trying to work out where to put it all and what to do with it, and nobody helps me. And all this time I'm spending now, I could be making new music, which is why I usually don't end up doing it.

cool article and cool song

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

quote:

And you just wander between those rooms, making music?
Yeah, it's quite erratic. There's no structure. I really like it. I've got some electro-mechanical robots in one room and MIDI pipe organs in another room and a laptop setup in another room. There's one room that I've got stacked full of records. The main one I've been using at the moment is a really big, massive room with a high ceiling. It has these towers in it, like a supercomputer from the Seventies. I can go inside my little Cray supercomputer in the day, and people don't even know I'm in the room. You can kind of hide away in there. My wife will be calling me, "Rich!" My wife is next to me smiling as I'm saying that. She knows my secret.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that room sounds pretty yospos

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
a lot of things he says in that interview sounds surprisingly yospos

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
for instance:

quote:

Tell me about the village where you live.
It's near Glasgow. It's a very close community. I love it, but you have to be stronger to live in the country, I think. You have to speak to everybody, and everybody knows your business. For someone like me, who's a little bit autistic or something, it can be quite intense. The phone's all right because you don't get so much information, but when you're face-to-face with someone, it's an overload of information. I find it quite hard.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

it's weird suddenly knowing he has kids

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
yeah and he's making them perform and calls them the Aphex Kids

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i always liked the analord stuff, especially the one track named after a virus or whatever which made winamp crash when i would try to play it (ive since moved on to better software...foobar2k :unsmigghh:)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

it's pretty okay

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

btw anyone who doesnt like afx probaly likes pendulum or something

you dont say that about that one song of theirs about the colors and the sofa

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
let's get him and boards of canada to collaborate on an album

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
no because then they would merge and create an autism black hole that would suck all of yospos into it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

btw anyone who doesnt like afx probaly likes pendulum or something

i like both :getin:

though the memory of what a pendulum song was liek it bette rthan actually listening to them i find

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no because then they would merge and create an autism black hole that would suck all of yospos into it
not quite, you'd still need autechre for that and maybe some kavinsky and das racist for the pitchforkier posters

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i've been listening to exai all week and it's super good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLdJ2bwpy8M

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

i've been listening to exai all week and it's super good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLdJ2bwpy8M
bits and pieces stand out for me (irlite is one of their best songs ever) but most of it runs together in a mess of BLURP-K-KWUBBUB-BLOOLP-PLNIK-K-K-KSSHRFTP and i just can't get through the thing. i love confield so i feel like i should have more of an appreciation here but i just can't get into it. :sigh: do you have any tips?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

bits and pieces stand out for me (irlite is one of their best songs ever) but most of it runs together in a mess of BLURP-K-KWUBBUB-BLOOLP-PLNIK-K-K-KSSHRFTP and i just can't get through the thing. i love confield so i feel like i should have more of an appreciation here but i just can't get into it. :sigh: do you have any tips?

it's hard to talk about why you like autechre without sounding like a massive wanker

you just need to get into the mindset by listening to it for long enough.

or not, it's pretty insanely idiosyncratic music

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

it's hard to talk about why you like autechre without sounding like a massive wanker

you just need to get into the mindset by listening to it for long enough.

or not, it's pretty insanely idiosyncratic music
well yeah i know that it's autism but i was hoping that there was more to it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

welll they are called autechre

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

welll they are called autechre
i just assumed that it was, like, audio? and technology, and then "re" at the end because they're british and spell things that way

but now you've really shaken things up :aaaaa:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i really liked quaristice, felt a lot more 'fun' (as fun as cold computer tones can be) than their other albums

so it might be a good entry point?

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Autechre members Rob Brown and Sean Booth changed their approach for Quaristice, moving from a more deliberate studio process to a more spontaneous and "jam session" style of songwriting, approximately doubling the usual number of tracks per album to twenty.[2] Booth said in a March 2008 interview, "a lot of the album tracks are edited down jams, some of them hour long pieces we made in a day and then worked them down.... We’d have a fifteen minute jam, a ten or a seven minute and end up with a three or four minute track and we just kept them all."[2]

oh huh, that'd explain it

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i KIND OF feel the same. it's a lot of very experimental pieces and some are harder to get into. autechre has nothing really to do with aphex twin imo though, but i think Oversteps is one of their best albums

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Miley Virus posted:

i really liked quaristice, felt a lot more 'fun' (as fun as cold computer tones can be) than their other albums

so it might be a good entry point?
i don't need an "entry point", i've heard all of their albums and as i mentioned earlier confield (the procedurally-generated one) is one of my favorites

exai is just too much of stuff that's too similar but i haven't given up on eventually "getting" it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
been digging this album lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW7VAJVR-8o

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i don't need an "entry point", i've heard all of their albums and as i mentioned earlier confield (the procedurally-generated one) is one of my favorites

exai is just too much of stuff that's too similar but i haven't given up on eventually "getting" it

yeah Oversteps sort of struck an odd chord in me at first because it was an album that suddenly sounded "too planned" but after a while i could definitely hear the that the random stuff was still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

i like it a lot thanks for sharing

• Locked thread