Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
RDJ really helped me get out there to listen and explore new music, then i went back to aphex and figured out 90% of his material was just borrowed techniques from better composers, maybe thats was the point, i don't know ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dph-bkJL_wM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Amethyst posted:

i don't know other albums that sound like drukqs but if they exist i'd like to hear them

prepared piano and microtonal scaling are not new

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S46019862#p46023930

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here (1975)

Rating: Unfavorable
"Their treatment, though, is so solemn that you have to ask what the point is. If your use of the machinery isn't alive enough to transcend its solemn hum - even if that hum is your subject - then you're automatically trapped. In offering not so much as a hint of liberation, that's where this album leaves Pink Floyd." (Ben Edmonds, 11/6/75 Review)

Boards of Canada
The Campfire Headphase (2005)

Rating: 2 Stars
"On its third full-length album, this Scottish duo drops a mellow, mostly vocals-free mix of gentle synth swishes, analog pitter-patter and codeine-tempoed drum-machine beats. "Dayvan Cowboy" is a glacially pretty slow-burner, but most of the time Headphase is so sleepy it should come with Red Bull." (Christian Hoard, 11/17/05 Review)

from here

oh yeah

Drukqs
Aphex Twin
Drukqs (2001)

Rating: 1 Star
"With Drukqs, James delivers his most irrelevant album to date: a double CD, thirty-track compendium of indecipherable song titles, gratuitously weird sounds and occasional wisps of ersatz classical piano that are aimlessly pretty...Among fans of IDM, or Intelligent Dance Music, as this sort of stuff is unfortunately labeled, rumor has it that James merely loaded this record with outtakes that have been eating up space on his hard drive for years, then released the album as a deal-breaker with his label, Warp. Or perhaps the explanation for the incoherence of the album lies in its punny, unfunny title. Either way, he should never have done Drukqs, because his new noise mostly just sounds fukqed up." (Pat Blashill, 11/8/01 Review)

valid

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Amethyst posted:

you still haven't elaborated on your comments about originality

oh, upon relistening to the releases i found myself picking it apart more than enjoying it as a product
if you want to say his stuff is a pure original then i guess you can do that, but for me i feel like the influences are fairly pronounced, which is fine... they are good influences to have

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

okay so what this comes down to is that you admit you abused his music and it became meaningless and somehow sounded very derivative. thank you

the saturation of IDM artists in the early 00's sort of made alot of the music meaningless, ask richard devine

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
lets not argue over all this, here you can have one of my 26 mixes for cash chocolate coins warp sent me in 2003

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Amethyst posted:

I'm liking it, although there are a few clunkers.

track 3 in particular captures the experience of being at an awful idm party in the 00s perfectly

whole album felt like one of those parties, everyone slapping the same electro 4/4 backing drum tracks to whatever for sake of a party

for all the obvious multitracking nonsense youd think he'd put some life into those sounds, so thin and steppy, how many times is he going to use that clumpy bass sound
gotta live up the /mum/ expectations i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
/mu/ with extra spergs

• Locked thread