Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i think someone else reviewed it later on at rolling stone and gave it 4 stars
what else is new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

uh in my world, they kind of did. especially when they started and a long time after their site just sucked rear end
lol you willingly navigated to the rolling stone web site

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

yeah because i used to get the magazine before that
uh thats even worse sorry

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm listening to volume ii right now and i just made it to blue calx, thanks thread for reminding me of this very nice album. :)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Miley Virus posted:

it's good but man i get a little restless listening to it all in one sitting
it's 1 am here which is the perfect time to listen to it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

How are you feeling about the new album?
Horny. I'm feeling really horny about it [laughs]. And very smug.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
ever notice how flim rips off the pure imagination song from willy wonka

because it totally does :smugmrgw:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no because then they would merge and create an autism black hole that would suck all of yospos into it
not quite, you'd still need autechre for that and maybe some kavinsky and das racist for the pitchforkier posters

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

i've been listening to exai all week and it's super good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLdJ2bwpy8M
bits and pieces stand out for me (irlite is one of their best songs ever) but most of it runs together in a mess of BLURP-K-KWUBBUB-BLOOLP-PLNIK-K-K-KSSHRFTP and i just can't get through the thing. i love confield so i feel like i should have more of an appreciation here but i just can't get into it. :sigh: do you have any tips?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

it's hard to talk about why you like autechre without sounding like a massive wanker

you just need to get into the mindset by listening to it for long enough.

or not, it's pretty insanely idiosyncratic music
well yeah i know that it's autism but i was hoping that there was more to it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

welll they are called autechre
i just assumed that it was, like, audio? and technology, and then "re" at the end because they're british and spell things that way

but now you've really shaken things up :aaaaa:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Miley Virus posted:

i really liked quaristice, felt a lot more 'fun' (as fun as cold computer tones can be) than their other albums

so it might be a good entry point?
i don't need an "entry point", i've heard all of their albums and as i mentioned earlier confield (the procedurally-generated one) is one of my favorites

exai is just too much of stuff that's too similar but i haven't given up on eventually "getting" it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm out of cum

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i. want. your. CUM
:catstare:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

reminder that aphex twin was responsible for the best electronic album of 1993

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

z0rlandi viSSer posted:

the whole thing doesn't work but parts of it DO work
yeah i guess that i was a bit hyperbolic about it in the music thread but for some reason the pickings for good '90s electronic music are pretty slim until 1994, you have the first two orb albums (fantastic and very nice respectively) and about half of the autechre debut and most of sine waves. orbital hadn't really gotten interesting yet and :laffo: at the "amorphous androgynous" crap that fsol was doing then. a few good tracks on that one black dog album but that was mostly forgettable too.

surfing on sine waves doesn't quite stack up against saw2 or the richard d. james album but it's drat good for 1993 and it's hard not to have a soft spot for it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i just gave it a quick skim and i'm kinda disappointed. not in the material itself, i'm sure that it's very nice and that i'll really enjoy it when i sit down and actually listen to the album, but it all sounds very late-'90s which is a bit of a letdown coming from someone who had previously left off with the crazy stylistic flameout of drukqs. i don't think that drukqs would have been a good place to pick up from (it isn't exactly timeless itself) but i also think that he could have come up with a similarly radical approach in the 13 years since.

on the other hand i haven't heard any of the analord or afx or whatever stuff so maybe i'm being unreasonable, idk.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i don't see aphex's stuff as trying to be a futurist or "the next poo poo". he just makes exactly what he wants to
my point is that "what he wants to" used to be "the next poo poo"

eh whatever. there's a new aphex twin thing and it's (most likely) good and that's what's important.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

and just because drukqz had some fast complex stuff in it doesn't mean his next album has to be even more crazy fast IDM spaz out poo poo.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i don't think that drukqs would have been a good place to pick up from

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
heard the album, definitely good, definitely anachronistic. love the dippy acid-jazz title track, it sounds like something out of an old amiga demo.

still a letdown to hear a good album from a guy who's built his name on greatness especially after all the hype with the blimp/graffiti/tor poo poo but hell it's still a good album.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

jony ive aces posted:

"the ATL Twins" (whatever that is)

was hoping that it was some new name for outkast or something

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
smdh if you weren't introduced to electronic music by "on the run" from your dad's copy of dark side of the moon

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Granbar posted:

so, have any of you read this millino word interview with afx that just came out a few days ago? http://noyzelab.blogspot.no/2014/11/syrobonkers-part1.html
is that a yosposter interviewing him

Granbar posted:

it's a pretty good nerd read, if you skip the poo poo about 911 and microwaves killing bill hicks
actually, tha't swhere you need to pay themost attention

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
did you take this screenshot or is it from somewhere else

i'm asking because the Mystical Order seem to have had a hand in it :tinfoil:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

i found ok computer and it still had the hidden booklet behind the cd tray. I still remember finding that for the first time months after buying it
i thought that was kid a

my kid a has that anyway, maybe it's both idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
there's also a lovely scrub version of kid a with just the normal liner booklet and nothing under the tray, i think my brother has that one

• Locked thread