Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Backyard Wrestling is by far the most hated form of Pro-Wrestling to ever emerge. Everyone from WWE's legal team to morning talk shows has lamented the existence of stupid teens botching lariats in their friends/cousins/uncles back yard. But it has a long history and it refuses to die despite existing for 15+ years in it's current form. That's probably because watching stupid people hurt themselves is fun!

In the beginning...

While Backyarding has always existed in some way it didn't really come into vogue until the attitude era. With wrestling pulling it's largest market share ever a ton of stupid teens began experimenting in their backyards. It really crystalized with the introduction of ECW. For most of it's infancy ECW was the primary source of influence for Backyarding along with lots of indie tapes and badly put together Frontier tapes from Japan. Almost all of it that was filmed was done so by skater kids who had cameras for skate vids and shares a lot of that aesthetic. Early Backyarding was passed around through tape trading but mostly it was a spectacle for local kids to watch. On Usenet and early internet forums you could find text files detailing how to create your own wrestling rings although trampolines have always been very common.

But how does it differ from normal Pro Wrestling?

I'd say it has three major differences:

-An Extreme level of violence on par with the worst of ECW and Frontier. They do a lot of stunts without any of the requisite safety equipment, there can be extreme amounts of blood often without any blading. Especially in the early years glass and fire are very common. As are spots like being thrown into dumpsters.

-Tricks, illusions and props. Often Backyarders (especially in the days of bad quality video) would construct props to make the match more brutal. While every promotion has fixed tables and such they take it to a greater level. Things that are common include painting plastic baseball bats/trays/chairs/pipes to look metal. They often however don't do this and will do things like use real barbed wire (most wrestling uses clipped barb wire that is less dangerous) and bladed weapons like machetes or axes. Fake weapons are common too, usually the kind you find in a Spirit Halloween store. A lot of these really gnarly bumps in the olden times came from dudes being marks and thinking that a lot of the dangerous stuff was real.

-Charisma and pain threshhold over talent and skill. Almost all Backyarders are bad at wrestling. Their monster heels and big fat dudes tend to do better because that sort of straight shooting style is easier to do. You rarely see backyarders do complex maneuvers correctly although Hardy was/is a huuuuuuuuge favorite in their circles and once he became huge stuff like really dangerous backflips and swantons became more common. Also obviously since a lot of these matches are shoot heavy due to lack of skill these guys get pretty beat up sometimes and many a Backyarder is a scrawny 6'0 145 pound dude with 0 muscle mass and the ability to be kicked onto a bunch of glass.

But the modern era has changed things!

So early Backyarding was a outgrowth of the attitude era, and after the death of ECW the Backyarder community tried very hard to keep that style alive. The output from about 2003-2006 is pretty poor just because there wasn't a method of distribution that was easy and wrestling had taken a huge hit in mainstream popularity.

But then YOUTUBE happened! Suddenly any group of terrible wrestling teens had an audience of thousands. At first a lot of the stuff on youtube was similar to the old stuff. Guys who had been doing this stuff since they couldn't scratch it in the indies had been recording and putting together shows for years. But its always been driven by stupid teens and so eventually they surfaced. A lot of the stuff now is heavily influenced by the WWF with less emphasis on blood and guts and more on running lariats and piledrivers. A decent Backyard promotion on youtube can get a couple thousand people to watch every show!

But obviously a lot of people watch for the comedy. It's funny as gently caress, almost a Spinal Tap of wrestling at times. The sort of cargo cultish depiction of WWE/ECW style as done by scrawny teens will never not be a bizarre combination.

A small aside about Trampolines
They use them because they are common, absorb shocks and can give you a lot of air for high flying moves. This leads to a shitload of super punches, flying Knees and really really long distance lariats. Almost no backyarders will use submissions with any frequency but trampolines make them look really goofy. Also if you don't have ropes then the trampoline can let you do really high flying stuff like frog splashes. They will often attempt to legitimize themselves by using the term "Trampoline Wrestling" but its all the same poo poo from a different butt.

Some hilarious things to watch:

The Backyard
Ok I lied, this one is actually a decent doc about the early days. It features RVD since he was a former Backyarder.
http://youtu.be/BMLpNilRQP4

Backyard Wrestling Documentary
This covers a scene in Cali during the heyday. It's about as well put together as your average skate video but it gives you a good idea of just how stupid some of the bumps they were taking are.
http://youtu.be/vilSpSoJ44s

ESW - Extreme Showdown Wrestling

This is much more in the classic SoCal style. Contains such staples as "Promos shot on a bedroom webcam" and "children who are way too young to be here". It also has the requisite amount of Juggalos and NuMetal.
http://youtu.be/WnNZplQ1Xps
Highlights: A table break involving no less than thirty light tubes, a really bad somersault botch, lots of really poorly sold kicks to the face and a guy who might be going for some kind of capoeira thing.

As the internet began to become full of youtube video making tutorials the production quality across the board began to increase. This is probably ESW's best show as far as that stuff is concerned. The wrestling is still awful tho.
http://youtu.be/Btr7s_bmU4A
Highlights: LIGHT TUBE COFFIN MATCH (peak Backyarding right here, too bad it's unwatchable poo poo), a lineup of every bad haircut a teenager has ever gotten in the last ten years, and Peter Andrew the 12 year old Mexican kid who can Swanton like a motherfucker.

These guys also have a bazillion part doc on Youtube that is better put together and edited than any piece of wrestling they ever did. They are still around in some capacity I think and had a indiegogo not too long ago?

EWA
Outside of this video I know nothing about these guys. They are older than most and have a well built ring so I'd say this is almost verging on really bad Indie stuff.
http://youtu.be/fw9u_X9rbDA
Highlights: A 3D that somehow doesn't murder or harm anyone involved, the super jumpy black guy who oversells everything, the point where seven dudes get kicked over in rapid succession that transitions into a guy pulling the cutter out on everyone all in the span of maybe two minutes.

CHW Backyard
When I went to backyard stuff in the 90's as a dumb kid this is pretty much what it was. This is the kind of thing where I say that some people just never stopped trying to keep the ECW dream alive. Less wrestling and more "organized object beating".
http://youtu.be/ziJir_NXruQ
Highlights: unprotected toaster kick to the nuts.

DGW - Dangerous Grove Wrestling
These guys are my favorite. It's a bunch of dumb kids who are trying SO HARD to do a straight up WWE style thing. That's more rare in Backyarding these days then you would imagine. They also have the Mac stable/team of Big Mac and Simon "The Golden Boy" Mac who actually have any charisma whatsoever.
http://youtu.be/o0tggQ6stJU
Highlights: The weed addled ramblings of the commentator, El Aviador who is a jobber which is rare in Backyarding, Trampoline knee drop through a table.

And Finally
The three wrestlers most Backyarders will tell you are the best are Foley, Hardy and RVD. Any group of Backyarders has a 99% chance of including a Juggalo or ten. Their favorite bands will always be Disturbed, Slipknot, Sepultura and ICP. Backyarding is sort of the purest expression of being a dumb outcast teenager so it can absolve you of some of your issues with wanting to travel back in time and slap yourself for buying that Disturbed T and Amy Lee poster sophomore year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

yea ok posted:

Tallon Dega

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Shima Honnou posted:

You steal them from behind stores and in loading docks and poo poo. When I was in high school I knew some dudes who liked to just chuck them at pavement to break them and that's how they got most of their supply.

Also I bet a lot of these guys work at WalMart and when I did deliveries to WalMarts for one of my first jobs they would just have huge boxes of them sitting around in the stockroom unattended.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKJ07/

I'd never seen these guys before but a lot of their vids get 20k+ views. One or two of their guys have done some indie stuff.

http://youtu.be/pq_JYUAUZG4

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
What are the best HARDCORE JUVI vids?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Genetic Toaster posted:

Are we posting yardtards that like to pretend they're real Indies because I have a gem of a fed:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJhuY4KhzXhlWyEQ4aK5a-A

Friend of mine wrestles/used to wrestle for them. :allears:

Holy poo poo their announcer wants to be Joey Styles sooooooo baaaaaad.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
http://youtu.be/5PaZj8a-s6o

TALON DEGA cuts a sick-rear end promo

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Blasmeister posted:

Jesus christ that Barry White driver

Holy poo poo, that looks like it should have paralyzed a motherfucker.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Best. Belt.

http://youtu.be/iBHSC6yM554

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Dat Godsmack tattoo

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Petit Gregory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHU4A0h_Dc

:stare:

I... I think that's enough TWF videos for me tonight...

While this is scary they also have a rigged ring. It's some kind of modified trampoline. Or at least its some kind of very flexible mat on a poo poo load of springs, that isn't a conventional wooden surface. It's also hard to see in the footage but he drops him after the impact so the guy getting slammed isn't taking that to the shoulder/neck.

Edit: If you want to see an example, here is a similar spot in CZW onto a "real" ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSuJlRPshoM&t=1214s
Watch for the flex on impact. Traditional rings rarely buck that much and are designed to absorb the impact across a wide surface to maintain a "realistic" image, when they flex hard they don't do so in that shape and also are designed not to toss the other dude ten feet away from a strong bounce.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 5, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I recall from reading that it was the WCW rings that were notoriously stiff to work on.

They got better with time. Most of the places built on old school rasslin promotions had pretty stiff rings. Mainly because when your roster favors more brawler hoss types who don't do a lot of high flying moves you wan't a really stiff ring that's going to shudder forcefully when a dude gets hit to the mat with a lariat. A lot of high flyers prefer the rings with really even distribution of force because it means you trade taking stronger hits to your body for having a more stable landing that's less likely to break your heels. The ultimate version of this is rings where you have the plywood top sitting on a slightly compressible foot thick block of cell foam. Some lucha and hardcore rings are built like that because they can absorb sharp and hard hits without flexing. A lot of other hardcore rings tend towards the excessively bendy kind because the huge dent looks really impressive and the FWUH-CHUNK noise the top makes when it flexes back into place sounds really awesome on the mic under the ring.

With backyarders it's really anything goes. The most common is tires, which have been a staple of small promotions and venues since cars have been a thing. They're cheap, flexible and durable and they do their job pretty drat well. They obviously make it hard to mic your ring, but that's hardly an issue for backyarding.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Halloween Jack posted:

I actually like this Tallon Dega kid. It seems like he actually gives a poo poo about learning how to promo and how to work.

I like how they now have a baby NWO faction. Their wrestling is awful but it's strangely refreshing to see backyarders trying to crib modern mainstream WWE stuff as opposed to ECW/CZW type hardcore deathmatches.

bobkatt013 posted:

I still think that ESW is the prime Yardtard fed.

One of their Dad's had to have owned some kind of hardware supply business or something because they went through thousands of dollars of light tubes, sometimes just literal crates of tube lighting.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Byolante posted:

When you live in Australia what seems dangerous to the average person sames safe. When a jellyfish the size of a thimble can leave you with life long random burning pains where it stings you, if it doesn't kill you immediately, is a feature of going to the beach up north than merely doing a back bump onto a glass beer bottle is tame.

Please tell me there is some Aussie backyard fed that has done a show during swooping season that involves wrestlers being savaged by birds.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
http://youtu.be/Eg2T6Srq-HQ

Normally I wouldn't double post BUT THERE IS A NEW ESW VID.

And it has Wicked J, because of course it does.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Who's that loving hard as nails middle aged Japanese guy who's just covered head to toe in crazy scars from doing insane deathmatches. That dude needs to win some kind of award for doing what he does as long as he does because I'm pretty sure he's actually a terminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I was apparently thinking of Masato Tanaka?

• Locked thread