Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I'm going to start a new game in Hard/Hardcore mode and I'm going to be a crazed cannibal who murders people with a razor and whenever my Hunger meter rises I'm going to kill and eat the first named character I see and I'm going to murder the Kings Barber for his unique razor and I'm going to take all the radiation perks and the one that gives you more damage with crippled limbs and I'm going to be an insane crippled irradiated murderer who moves frighteningly fast and regenerates health faster than my victims can chip it away. Just so you know, thread.

i love that the game actually allows this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Doesn't hard difficulty just make all enemies into bullet sponges? No thank you.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Scyther posted:

Doesn't hard difficulty just make all enemies into bullet sponges? No thank you.

Without making a bunch of new kinds of enemies to encounter or having an AI thats smart enough that you can make it act stupid it's really hard to make games actually harder.

its really easy to make things take longer to die though, and that means the player dies more and people are like "well I died a lot more it must have been harder"

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The enemies don't become bullet sponges so much as you have to alter which weapon/ammunition combination you're using to blow through damage resistance.

Albino Radscorpions in Fallout 3 were a bad example of how to ramp up difficulty since they just became huge stacks of HP.

New Vegas attempts to remedy this through an increase in DR and through granting innate properties that have a weakness.

For example, most of the creatures in old world blues that give people trouble can also be dealt with through pulse or emp on hit effects. Deathclaws go down surprisingly easily to explosive or AP rounds and max charge cells can do wonders mid - late game for energy weapons folks.

It's not perfect but it's much better than adding stacks of HP.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The best difficulty combo is jsawyer on normal. You get that vulnerable feeling for a while because your base hp is so low and all the op armours have has their DT slashed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Very Hard might make all the enemies bullet sponges but Hard feels decent to me. enemies take longer to kill than on Normal/Easy but it doesn't feel ludicrous and the extra damage they do introduces the slight possibility that I might die at some point. The battle of Hoover Dam was actually tough when I first played on Hard, though that was partly because I'd limited how many healing items I took because I figured if I had less stuff in my inventory the game might crash less. I was wrong.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I just use mods that make the player more fragile and play on hardcore to nerf healing items but whatever floats your boat.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Scyther posted:

I just use mods that make the player more fragile and play on hardcore to nerf healing items but whatever floats your boat.

This is the best way to do it imo

Soral
May 30, 2009

someone please compile a full list of "Imp Zone Approved" mods

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that conelrad fm mod should prolly be on it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Soral posted:

someone please compile a full list of "Imp Zone Approved" mods

Jsawyer
Project Nevada (caveat: toggle some stuff off)
EVE
WMX
Nevada Skies
ElectroCity
CONELRAD
Old World Radio

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What I usually tweak on Project Nevada:

*HP/Level
*toggle OFF helmet overlay
*toggle OFF intense first aid or whatever they ended up calling it (triage or something)
*toggle ON explosive entry
*toggle ON extra helmet vision modes

Leave the loot mods alone that are DISABLED by default. If you try toggling them on a warning screen pops up and for good reason. The actual loot spawn rates are adjusted to be much more harsh so you might want to mess with those a bit.

All of this can be done in game through the escape menu option mod manager.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Widestancer posted:

Jsawyer
EVE
WMX
Nevada Skies
ElectroCity
CONELRAD
Old World Radio

Widestancer posted:

What I usually tweak on Project Nevada:

*HP/Level
*toggle OFF helmet overlay
*toggle OFF intense first aid or whatever they ended up calling it (triage or something)
*toggle ON explosive entry
*toggle ON extra helmet vision modes

Leave the loot mods alone that are DISABLED by default. If you try toggling them on a warning screen pops up and for good reason. The actual loot spawn rates are adjusted to be much more harsh so you might want to mess with those a bit.

All of this can be done in game through the escape menu option mod manager.

cool, thanks muchly

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Widestancer posted:

Jsawyer
EVE
WMX
Nevada Skies
ElectroCity
CONELRAD
Old World Radio

Only install Project Nevada core, and only for the sprint button, visor night vision and grenade hotkey.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's no reason to install any of the other modules because they all gently caress with your poo poo and make the game gay.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
new vegas bounties is only good for having more poo poo to shoot at

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Titty Warlord posted:

I played some of it and it doesn't seem very good.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
You start the first quest near Primm I think and the objective is all the way across the map northwest of New Vegas, and the reward is a really strong unique Trail Carbine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I personally like that series of mods that add content deleted because of console limitations back into the game because consoles are for immature babymen.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
well cowboy, looks like your next bounty is ten super mutants, all of which have really high hp and dt, and are in general tedious to kill. Go get em

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just install that mod that increases spawns a huge amount.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Reinstalled with some good mods thanks imp zone. I uninstalled cus I spent a bunch of time on it and beat hardcore but it's been a few years now

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Titty Warlord posted:

I like how it keeps the theme of Fallout 2 of having the bad guys be an obvious reference to a movie

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
trip report: game wouldn't stop locking up and crashing no matter how many mods i deactivated or load orders i tried or fixes i applied, so, uninstalled. gently caress game

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I reinstalled New Vegas because of this thread and the game is running great for me. I have jesawyer loaded up and climbed around the canyons to get to Vegas at level 3, managed to get a laser rifle and laser RCW, I forgot how much fun there is in this game in just rushing your way to OP poo poo and then going through the low-level questlines turning dudes to ash.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

I reinstalled New Vegas because of this thread and the game is running great for me. I have jesawyer loaded up and climbed around the canyons to get to Vegas at level 3, managed to get a laser rifle and laser RCW, I forgot how much fun there is in this game in just rushing your way to OP poo poo and then going through the low-level questlines turning dudes to ash.

You probably did not need to do that since their are dead Brotherhood of Light corpses everywhere with awesome laser poo poo all the way to novac.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Only install Project Nevada core, and only for the sprint button, visor night vision and grenade hotkey.

This is really good advice and includes the portion of the mod I worked on

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Trip report: did a clean reinstall and chose my mods more carefully; no more crashes. Status: owns

Soral
May 30, 2009

informal poll: who is the best companion. by my money its either ede or the dog

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Boone, Arcade, Raul, Christine from Dead Money

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cyra posted:

Trip report: did a clean reinstall and chose my mods more carefully; no more crashes. Status: owns

Are you using a load order tool? Also clean your master files.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

If you give Boone an anti material rifle you almost don't have to shoot anything else yourself for the rest of the game

Dec 26, 2012

Soral posted:

cass or raul probably

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Soral posted:

Style: Vaquero Raul

Usefulness: Ed-E

Style and Usefulness: Ed-E with first Recon Beret mod.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You start the first quest near Primm I think and the objective is all the way across the map northwest of New Vegas, and the reward is a really strong unique Trail Carbine.

ok courier ur next bounty is a child raping gently caress shitter oval office serial murderer in a bunker full off rear end in a top hat bitch feral ghouls, fucker.

its bad

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
raul, ed-e, and joshua graham

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Soral posted:

Lilly

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

01011001 posted:

cass or raul probably
Always like the snarky companions myself, I mean Raul is great just because he treats you like a moron all the time.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Always like the snarky companions myself, I mean Raul is great just because he treats you like a moron all the time.

he does but it never comes off as mean-spirited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

he does but it never comes off as mean-spirited
My personal favorite is when you tell him to go melee, "Sure Boss, I'll stop using this gun and use uh this piece of metal tubing, great idea :haw:"

Also he has a sweet tooth if you give him bubble gum or Sunset Sarsaparilla

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 14, 2014

• Locked thread