Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Welcome to the Doomtown Reloaded thread!

"This gun needs more gun."

What is Doomtown Reloaded?
Doomtown Reloaded is the "expandable card game" reboot of the great Doomtown CCG. You and your outfit are vying for control of the town of Gomorra, a once thriving boomtown that was laid low by magical bullshit. While it's certainly past its heyday, it's still a very valuable location that is bringing several powerful factions into conflict.

Expandable Card Game? How is this different from a CCG? Or from an LCG?
It's different from a CCG in that the expansions come in fixed sets. You buy one, and have every card in the set. AEG will be doing two types of expansions. Smaller Saddlebag expansions, and larger Pinebox expansions.

It's different from an LCG in that it's not different at all. It's the exact same thing.

Factions? I love factions. Tell me about these factions!
Well okay, there's currently four of them.

The Law Dogs.
The Law Dogs are the law, dogs. Sheriffs, Judges, Depuities, and regular upstanding citizens trying keep order in Gomorra. What little there is to be had, anyway. Mechanically, they're whole deal is getting Dudes declared Wanted and then punishing them.

The Sloane Gang
The Sloane Gang, led by Sloane, are the outlaws of Gomorra. Lowlifes, thugs, and murderers in it to make a quick buck. Mechanically, they're great in shootouts, and seem geared towards pulling Jobs.

The Morgan Cattle Co
A powerful cattle company. They're mostly made up of cowboys, with the odd mad scientist from MCC's R&D division. Mechanically, they're the money faction, whose dudes benefit from having Horse cards attached. They're also currently the defacto Mad Scientist faction.

The Fourth Ring
A mysterious circus. Their members include monsters, sorcerers, and a sexy clown. Mechanically, they're a bag of tricks, relying on hexes to bolster their power.

Why the Poker tag?
Poker is used to resolve combat. You see, each card...

..has a poker value and suit on the top left side. This is also used in other things such as Hex pulls and randomizers for card effects, but we'll skip that for now. When you get into a gunfight, you draw a hand of five cards that is then modified by your dude's bullet rating. Your goal is to get the highest poker hand possible. Once you and your opponent finish, you compare hands, and suffer causalities based on the difference in your hand ranks.

Well cool, how do I get started?
Buy the core set! It's got everything you need to play, though you'll need to buy two to get a full four of each card.

There are two types of expansion packs. The small releases, called Saddlebags, and the larger Pine Boxes.

Current Saddlebags
New Town, New Rules
Double Dealing
Election Day Slaughter
Frontier Justice
No Turning Back
Nightmare at Noon

Future Saddlebags

Current Pine Boxes
Faith & Fear

Future Pine Boxes
Immovable Object, Unstoppable Force

Resources:
Here's the main site! They post card previews and story bits. Plus you can get info running events.
http://www.alderac.com/doomtown

There's also a deckbuilding site.
http://dtdb.co/

Here's a podcast.
http://gomorragazette.com/

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
It seems like it was almost all positive reviews from those at Gencon who tried it, but what are your thoughts on the game?
Does the game hold up 2 players as well at the 4 player lvl?

I'm excited for this game as I played the rpg for this game way back in high school and would like to revisit the game universe in some capacity.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tiny Chalupa posted:

It seems like it was almost all positive reviews from those at Gencon who tried it, but what are your thoughts on the game?
Does the game hold up 2 players as well at the 4 player lvl?

I'm excited for this game as I played the rpg for this game way back in high school and would like to revisit the game universe in some capacity.

I haven't gotten to play a lot of games, and no multiplayer yet, but I think the game feels like an improvement over the CCG, and I loved that game.

The game is barely out, but reports from GenCon indicate that Dudes & Deeds style decks, as well as ones that rely on a single stompy gunfighter, are what's currently dominating the game.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Picked this up at Gen Con. Played a 3 player game for a bit (didn't finish) and I thought it worked pretty well. Takes a few rounds to get through all the rules, but I definitely see the strategy involved.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Waiting on a September 8th release with baited breath. Bought a lot of cards first time around but never got many games, looking to have it go different this time around.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The first saddlebag expansion, New Town, New Rules, will be out in November.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/08/22/gen-con-winning-deck-guest-article/

Winner of the GenCon tournament lists his deck and talks about being new to the game.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Is there a limit to the number of deeds you can have in play?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Is there a limit to the number of deeds you can have in play?

Nope!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Did anyone ever play the awesome old mode that they published in a few magazines (I think Duelist/TopDeck/Inquest?)?

It used a giant map of the entire town and required you to move dudes around it physically while having deeds take up IRL spaces on the board. It was cool as hell and AEG should totally reprint that poo poo if they have it on a Hard Drive somewhere.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Did anyone ever play the awesome old mode that they published in a few magazines (I think Duelist/TopDeck/Inquest?)?

It used a giant map of the entire town and required you to move dudes around it physically while having deeds take up IRL spaces on the board. It was cool as hell and AEG should totally reprint that poo poo if they have it on a Hard Drive somewhere.

I never saw that, but it does sound neat.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Glad to see a thread here. I bought the premium set at GenCon, but haven't gotten to play it yet (blame Netrunner). Is the expansion model going to be FFG style buy one thing every month or so, or are you going to need to buy multiples for playsets?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Saddlebags will have complete playsets.

I'm super stoke for this game. I've already sold 2 people and my local stores owners on it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Saddlebags will have complete playsets.

I'm super stoke for this game. I've already sold 2 people and my local stores owners on it.

Cool. Are you going to do the Badge events when those start up?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Cool. Are you going to do the Badge events when those start up?

I haven't seen anything locally yet, but I imagine they'll do something in Portland. I haven't made it up there for Netrunner yet. :effort:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Great to see a thread for this, I got out of Netrunner two months back and this game was one reason. I harassed the local shop to order a premium set from a U.S. distributor, I have to buy the other 6 core sets but that's not too big a deal because we seem to have enough interest that I shouldn't be sitting on them for very long. When I moved to Taiwan a Law Dogs deck and a Maze Rats deck were the only cards I brought with me. I didn't get into this game until a year after it died, but I managed to amass a decent collection from ebay and had quite a bit of stuff. One of my later purchases when I first got back on my feet financially was getting Rachael's Gang from a seller in the U.K. It was an outfit I always wanted to play with because it's just so cool. I was a big fan of the bicycle deck system because I felt like Cheatin' added a bit too much consistency into the game, the current deeds and dudes archetype is almost exactly what I hated in the old game. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how the current game shakes out.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
I can't loving wait! I carried a torch for the classic game after its death, and it's been a hell of a long wait for its return. Now I have to figure out what to do with all my classic cards.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I can't loving wait! I carried a torch for the classic game after its death, and it's been a hell of a long wait for its return. Now I have to figure out what to do with all my classic cards.

Send them to me, duh.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I can't loving wait! I carried a torch for the classic game after its death, and it's been a hell of a long wait for its return.

I hear that. When the mock up site accidentally went live early, revealing Doomtown Reloaded, I was over the moon.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

From what I understand, there were more factions available in the original game. Have they said anything about bringing them over?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

exser posted:

From what I understand, there were more factions available in the original game. Have they said anything about bringing them over?

They've been very non-committal about it. They've indicated that *if* they do add more factions, they'll do so in the larger pinebox expansions. Personally, I'm sure we'll get a Sioux-esque faction, and likely one that trucks with a lot of Blessed, but the new focus of the game makes Agency, Maze Rats, and Texas Rangers unlikely. I'm also pretty sure that the Collegium has been fully folded into Morgan Cattle Company.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Themeatically there is definitely room for an Agency/Rangers/Government faction to appear. I agree the Sioux are pretty likely to come around as well. The Collegium doesn't really add a lot on top of the existing Morgan since they're playing with gadgets, and the Maze Rats were never mechanically that much different from the other factions. The only reason I could see the Agency coming into is to introduce a 6th group(5th being Sioux) that adds some global effects(Laws?) and that would help make multiplayer more interesting as well.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
To bring in a new faction or two, you'll need a jumbo sized box with probably a similar card count to the original base set so they can hit the ground running with the own cards. This however then complicates Saddlebags as they have less space to print cards for six factions rather than four.

So I can certainly see them bringing in new iterations of classic themes but might be a year before they come in.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
yeah, we can definitely expect to see factions focused around Spirits and Blessings, which most people are assuming will be Sioux and Lost Angels, respectively. They'll probably be the first couple "pine boxes" --their name for the bigger, less frequent expansions to the game. Personally, I want to see an unlikely conversion of Nicodemus Whateley to the Lost Angels, who'll kill Elijah and take over the flock. A girl can dream.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wonder if they are going to do Shamans as good guys again. The Coyote Confederation would be a cool faction to have in the game.

As far as the Whateleys... they met a rather bad end that's revealed in one of the Deadlands adventure books.

The remnants of the family are slowly turning into slug people.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This is the single best thing I've learned today. Nicodemus Whateley was, I think, the only member of the family to be left alive after the Knicknevin fight, so I am honor-bound to continue shipping him and Pancho Castillo.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I wonder if they are going to do Shamans as good guys again. The Coyote Confederation would be a cool faction to have in the game.

As far as the Whateleys... they met a rather bad end that's revealed in one of the Deadlands adventure books.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

This is the single best thing I've learned today. Nicodemus Whateley was, I think, the only member of the family to be left alive after the Knicknevin fight, so I am honor-bound to continue shipping him and Pancho Castillo.

The metaplot in the splatbook The Black Circle had him gathering a large contingent of the family from the failed Ghost Creek disk wars game to support his 'rebellion.' Which book introduced the slug thing?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

The metaplot in the splatbook The Black Circle had him gathering a large contingent of the family from the failed Ghost Creek disk wars game to support his 'rebellion.' Which book introduced the slug thing?

The Flood. Specifically the Night of the Caretaker part.

And I got it wrong, they're not slowly turning into slugs, Nicodemus made a bargain with Yog Sothoth for protection against Kang, and the result was them getting turned into slugs.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is there somewhere the fluff is collected?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I am on OCTGN right now and it would appear that Doomtown: Reloaded is up now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Is there somewhere the fluff is collected?

There's a wiki, but it's kinda sparse.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

PaybackJack posted:

Themeatically there is definitely room for an Agency/Rangers/Government faction to appear.

I'd be surprised if they bring the Agency and the Rangers back. Their presence in Doomtown was always more part of the 'wider' Deadlands plot than anything particularly related to Gomorrah, so if they want to keep the faction numbers down this time, they'd be the first to go. Also Maze Rats probably get the chop too.

This is a huge shame. I used to love being the only person playing Agency whenever I turned up at a tournament... Cort's still alive though, so there's hope yet :-)

Sioux, yes. Blessed, in some form yes, Lost Angels/Flock? Probably not. It's all too much tied to Elijah and the deadly sins to just bring the faction back as is. Though I guess the monikers are transferable, so maybe it's possible.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm really glad alot of the ild LCGs are coming back in LCG format. The 90s had alot exciting card game ideas, but chasing that Magic bux ruined alot of their potential. Always wanted to try Doomtown back in the days.

Off topic question, but is anyone planning to release the old LotR CCG as an LCG? You had to collect the pieces of the map of Middle Earth in addition to the regular cards to play, which was balls stupid

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Off topic question, but is anyone planning to release the old LotR CCG as an LCG? You had to collect the pieces of the map of Middle Earth in addition to the regular cards to play, which was balls stupid

Have you tried the LotR LCG by Fantasy Flight? Its pretty well regarded around here for being co-op, and ball crushingly difficult.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Thanks for the tip - I was just wondering whether or not there were any co-op CCGs the other day. What can I say, I like it when we can all work together :shobon:

Back on Doomtown, my heart nearly skipped a beat when they announced Reloaded. Now I can relive all those fond childhood memories of begging all my friends to set their Magic cards down long enough to just try and play it with me.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

quote:

DOOMTOWN: RELOADED ECG:
EXPANSION 1 - NEW TOWN, NEW RULES
Even in a rough and tumble town like Gomorra someone has to run the place! As Morgan’s matriarch returns to town, two candidates step forward to vie for the mayor’s seat. Who will you support?
This expansion for Doomtown: Reloaded, the fast-paced, expandable card game (ECG) set in the Deadlands universe of gunslingin’, spell slingin’, and mud-slingin’,includes 84 cards and a story sheet.
Scheduled to ship in November 2014. AEG 5902 $14.99

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Well clearly I'm voting Tyxarglenak.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Don't throw your vote away, choose Bluetick.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I'm surprised how many faces from the original CCG and Range Wars game are returning. Does anyone have a spoiler list of the current base set or first expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm surprised how many faces from the original CCG and Range Wars game are returning. Does anyone have a spoiler list of the current base set or first expansion?

I'll be very surprised if many faces from the original CCG return, because there was only fifteen of them still alive as of ten years ago (and that includes Clovis the Devil Bunny). Not that that keeps some people down, but even the Ghost was destroyed eventually.

• Locked thread