Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

I don't know if this alone is enough to make Gadgets good but it's a drat good start.

poo poo. If this were a Gadget itself, Clubless Decks would have their missing piece. I guess 4 of these wouldn't be too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They really want Experimental stuff to have a chance of failing, clearly.

The problem is the Experimental abilities aren't good enough to justify this. Async Coil Gun is a Shotgun that discards (not Aces) other dudes while running the risk of taking what is likely your prime shooter out of the fight and thus making you likely to take horrific casualties. For what? A 6 Value increase, one ghost rock, and one more bullet? All that does is make me not want to run Gadgets or not bother with the ability. Sheeyat.

Miasmatic Purifier, at least, doesn't completely bone you if you pull a Club.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Full spoilers are up on imgur here

Fun note, the guy who posted them on the FB group, and posts under Howard Findley is the guy who got me into the game a couple years after it's demise. As his name suggests he was a hardcore fan and had a decent impact on the last tournament that determined who lived and died.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That spoiler isn't quite complete because there's no Deeds.

Rabbit Takes Revenge: seems REALLY great if it interacts with Deception and prevents your unbooted dude from leaving while removing an opposing dude.

Not much to say, this is an interesting set. Morgan finally got their Horse outfit, I see.

Curse them for bringing out Den of Thieves and then dropping some more consistent Cheatin' Resolution punishers.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

EDIT: Misread the new 108. That's playable.

Other cards? Not sure what i'd do with them.

Kung fu wizards still gettin' shafted.

Hustled is playable in my Aces/2s/3s Kung Fu deck (earlier in thread), maybe. I never manage to get shifu speaks at the same time as all the kung fu hustles.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 4, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That spoiler isn't quite complete because there's no Deeds.

We saw the new deeds already: Miasmatic Purifier and Maza Gang Hideout.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PaybackJack posted:

We saw the new deeds already: Miasmatic Purifier and Maza Gang Hideout.

I didn't know Maza Gang Hideout had been posted. OK then!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I just realised my friend is going to try and work Tlaloc's Furies into his old Bobo/Tom/Morgan Research deck and try to make Bobo a 15 stud.

Best be running Unprepared!

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
When kabeda remote triggers a totem does the effect happen at her location or the totem?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Office Sheep posted:

When kabeda remote triggers a totem does the effect happen at her location or the totem?

It will be at her location I believe.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Is this game still alive? I missed it starting out but I might snag some off of eBay or something to catch up on where it's at now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Banana Man posted:

Is this game still alive? I missed it starting out but I might snag some off of eBay or something to catch up on where it's at now.

Yep, still alive. New pack came out a week or so ago I think. Before that we had back to back deluxe expansions which added two new factions. Game seems to be doing alright.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
90% sure this exact combo has been discussed somewhere before but I can't find it now - Clown Carriage into The Wretched acing a dude with Vitality Tonic is a legal move right? Seems like acing your dude is a requirement, not a cost but hell if I know.

edit: or is acing a dude always a cost?

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 24, 2015

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Single Tight Female posted:

90% sure this exact combo has been discussed somewhere before but I can't find it now - Clown Carriage into The Wretched acing a dude with Vitality Tonic is a legal move right? Seems like acing your dude is a requirement, not a cost but hell if I know.

edit: or is acing a dude always a cost?

Acing a Dude is a cost to bring him into play and costs can never be negated. I tried some shenanigans with cancelling costs (Like using the Dr to prevent the Acing of an opponents dude to No Turning Back) and Gerry said no.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Banana Man posted:

It is, I've just been neglect in my thread duties because my own group vanished.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Fair enough. I feel like I still just don't understand what exactly is a cost in this game :(

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fair enough. I feel like I still just don't understand what exactly is a cost in this game :(

I actually reread the Wretched and I think you might be right, it seems to be an effect generated by the Wretched when they come into play, not a cost to bring them into play. I have no idea now so I'm going to ask Gerry.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah I probably should have done that first, but it's a weird one. It's a particularly janky combo since Vitality Tonic replaces an ace with a discard during a shootout, so you have to Clown Carriage or find some other way to bring in The Wretched during a shootout.

But I was basically under the impression that costs were either things like "Noon, Boot" where you have to be able to boot, or "Pay 1 ghost rock TO do this effect" and if you replace the paying 1 ghost rock, you don't get the effect. The Wretched has already entered play and just looks for a body to ace. Maybe the ruling will come if you save a dude with a react, you have to look for someone else to ace.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Unless I'm mistaken, cancelling an ace would leave the requirement unfulfilled.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

That's okay, AEG has a loose relationship with templating.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, cancelling an ace would leave the requirement unfulfilled.

I think would start them down a bit of a weird path where all Acing was uncancellable. Like you Ace a dude to cover casualties then Doctor him then does that mean you've not aced a dude to cover casualties. Maybe it does already?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really wish Acing was multistep.

1. Declare a target.

2. Target is Aced. Any rules that require Acing a dude are fulfilled at this point.

3. Reaction: Reactions to prevent Acing may be play at this point.

4. Boot Hill. The Dude goes to Boot Hill.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I really wish Acing was multistep.

1. Declare a target.

2. Target is Aced. Any rules that require Acing a dude are fulfilled at this point.

3. Reaction: Reactions to prevent Acing may be play at this point.

4. Boot Hill. The Dude goes to Boot Hill.

That would still leave a slight issue of Acing as part of a cost and Acing as an effect and triggers for things that happen when a dude is Aced. that structure would mean the Undertaker would happily bury a guy that the Doctor has got back on his feet.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Aramoro posted:

That would still leave a slight issue of Acing as part of a cost and Acing as an effect and triggers for things that happen when a dude is Aced. that structure would mean the Undertaker would happily bury a guy that the Doctor has got back on his feet.

That does already happen though. The new React and Trait timing rules they introduced mean dudes saved by Lay on Hands or whatever still generate GR for the Undertaker's controller.

That's why I'm thinking you must be able to negate the ace caused by The Wretched. Unless they change how the card is worded, his second sentence is a trait. The Wretched enters play, aces a Dude, the inventing MS gets a bounty. Then you go to react triggers and resolve the Vitality Tonic on the aced Dude.

Their other rulings regarding costs and aces are for things like No Turning Back, where "Ace a dude you own and control" is the cost that must be paid, "to reduce your casualties this round to zero." The Wretched isn't acing a dude to cause something to happen - someone is being aced after The Wretched enters play.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That does already happen though. The new React and Trait timing rules they introduced mean dudes saved by Lay on Hands or whatever still generate GR for the Undertaker's controller.

Wait what? When did this happen? So Dr. Emanuel Ashbel cannot save himself and Vitality Tonic works at all because it would do literally nothing if it didn't break the timing?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Wait what? When did this happen? So Dr. Emanuel Ashbel cannot save himself and Vitality Tonic works at all because it would do literally nothing if it didn't break the timing?

Undertaker gives money even when dude is saved - http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115431
New React and Trait timing - http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115412
Trait is active anywhere because it wouldn't work otherwise - http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115306

Last but not least the question of whether Arnold and Emanuel can save themselves - http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115484 (under discussion)

This is the pile of rulings I'm trying to work with atm.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Roku-Mart are now doing Doomtown and that's resulted in the entirety of Foul Play being spoiled.

http://www.roku-mart.com/product-category/ccg-tcg-games/doomtown-reloaded/singles/012-foul-play/

On that page the text of each card is blacked out but if you click through to each individual card you can see it with just the flavour text missing. I think it's called Foul Play because some of these cards seem loving dirty as hell. Marty seems good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gadgets get another boost. Good.

Art is a lot better too.

Things are lookin' good.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 25, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The game is basically dead at my LGS, the guy running Doomtown days hasn't even shown up at the last two events due to other obligations, and they're only once a month. So it's basically only been two of us. I haven't really had time to brainstorm decks, so I'm just netdecking whatever looks good and fun. It's still a lot of fun when I do get a chance to play it though. Foul Play looks great. I'm going to try to include Outgunned in some high-shootin' decks.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Doomtown and all expansion packs are on sale at cardhaus today, if you want to go nuts

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
They didn't respond to you directly Aramoro, but

quote:

Clarification per rules team huddle:

Acing a dude is not part of the cost of the wretched.

So it looks like my janky Wretched/Clown Carriage/Vitality Tonic play is legal. As is anything else used to save the aced dude after The Wretched enters play.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They didn't respond to you directly Aramoro, but

So it looks like my janky Wretched/Clown Carriage/Vitality Tonic play is legal. As is anything else used to save the aced dude after The Wretched enters play.

I like this ruling. Bring on the silly combos.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I like this ruling. Bring on the silly combos.

I do as well, I also like the Dog's Duster rulling that means Benny McGill can make your other dudes issue unrefuseable callouts without having to posse himself.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If I was considering picking up the basic set for this, are there any expansions that you'd consider such important improvements that I might as well have them right out of the gate?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

'Immovable Force; Unstoppable Object' would be good for the 5th and 6th factions. Otherwise it depends on what decks you want to build.

You kind of need "everything" in the sense that because you're typically building based around values you'll want all the options at your disposal. But I'd say grab the deluxe and play all the factions, see which ones you like then build a strong deck from there, building backwards.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Just got all my Doomtown stuff from the Koku deal AEG offered to all the L5R players. I guess I should make a deck or something...

I used to play this game waaaay back when. Usually it was Law Dogs. Are they good?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes, it's good.

I haven't picked up Foul Play yet. Any thoughts?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I was given the core set as a gift, any rules pitfalls or common mistakes I should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Look up a guide for jobs.

The arrows on the player mat are misleading. You can't leave your opponent's home to town or left and right without booting.

This is probably the most obtuse of the living/expandable card games. You need to give it some time to click so don't give up if you don't like it after a couple games.

• Locked thread