Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Spookyelectric posted:

Just got all my Doomtown stuff from the Koku deal AEG offered to all the L5R players. I guess I should make a deck or something...

I used to play this game waaaay back when. Usually it was Law Dogs. Are they good?

Someone got what they ordered with Koku? It's a miracle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Full Blurry Bad Medicine Spoilers are up.

You know what 4th Ring needed? More Abomination fetching.

Also the Power Suit looks like an actually good, if difficult, Gadget. The LeMat continues their efforts to provide red-pull cheatin' resolutions.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Full Blurry Bad Medicine Spoilers are up.

You know what 4th Ring needed? More Abomination fetching.

Also the Power Suit looks like an actually good, if difficult, Gadget. The LeMat continues their efforts to provide red-pull cheatin' resolutions.

Why are people who make DT spoilers incapable of using a loving camera?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aramoro posted:

Why are people who make DT spoilers incapable of using a loving camera?

Because AEGplayers.txt

Seriously though, it's not even like there's a giant race to be the guy that spoils the cards.

I think the next deluxe will be the last thing I buy for Doomtown. Seems like a good stopping point, game didn't catch on in my area and that should be a decent enough base of cards that I don't feel like I will need more just to break out and play with friends every now and then.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I wish more areas had a scene as healthy as mine. This game is really starting to hit a stride in terms of having a variety of playable decks.

Every pack people say gadgets might be playable now. I've been playing Luke and the mechanical skeleton and I think this time it is actually true. Luke might even be the strongest card in the pack. He is really efficiently costed to the point where without an ability he'd still be a decent card to play. Then his ability takes away the nightmare that is gadget trading logistics as an added bonus.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Luke also lets you trade Bio Charged Neutralizers. Which means Luke is a potential 4 stud and Willa from the same pack is a potential 3 stud for only 1 GR and 0 upkeep from the start.

I've been playing Eagle Wardens since their introduction but Morgan seems to have finally bounced back at this point.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I think after reading the rules twice and watching a video, I finally understand the rules well enough to dust off the core set from GenCon and hit the FLGS. They have a Saturday league night; figure they'll be nice enough to teach me some nuances. How's the health of the game? Is the balance really out of whack?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TheHoosier posted:

I think after reading the rules twice and watching a video, I finally understand the rules well enough to dust off the core set from GenCon and hit the FLGS. They have a Saturday league night; figure they'll be nice enough to teach me some nuances. How's the health of the game? Is the balance really out of whack?

Seems fairly healthy. Gotta wait until Sheriff event season to see how many players are showing up to the various events to see how it's faired in the last year.

Balance-wise it seems like they've got a good mix at the moment, Morgan still seems a bit weak but there's a couple cards on the horizon that should help them immensely.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Sounds good. I'll probably toss together babby's first Sloane Gang and see how it does. The game looks super interesting.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

League trip report:

Took my lone Core to the FLGS today and had a blast. Apparently one of the writers for the game runs the League, so he had a bunch of neat promo swag to look at. He had constructed decks for beginners, so I went through the paces and actually won my demo game! I bought another core and the Faith&Fear expac to build a Sloane Gang deck. I'll post the deck later but it's the Desolation Row outfit that blows up the Aims brothers through synergy with Desolation Row, Makaio Kaleo Esq, B&B Attorneys, Charlie's Place, Legendary Holster, and Pearl-Handled Revolver. Fred Aims became an 8-bullet stud wrecking ball, flanked by guys like Marion Seville, Jonah Essex, etc...

I'm pretty proud of it and chalked up a W in my first official game with no hand-holding. Against the company guy himself, no less! The last shootout was a 3-dude acing off a cheatin' 5-of-a-kind. Poor bastard had no answer and lost all of his influence in one fight. The game is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and it turns out the movement is not nearly as complicated as it looks.

(He did wipe the floor with me the next game. I stupidly committed both Aims boys to the same shootout, one of which held 6 of my Influence by himself, and fell prey to a bunch of combos by the 108. It was pretty ugly.)

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 14, 2016

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
So Ghost Town spoilers are starting. Wasn't gonna bother linking the first one since I think it's decidedly "eh" but this second one oh boy.

Lot of stuff that you can try with Ol' Howard. Undertaker for 4R Abom Recursion/Eagle Warden Spirits, Lula's Exploit for Gadget decks, Joker's Smile for anyone else? California Tax Office and General Store are also two cards you tend to want to see early, the list goes on.

That said the trade seems pretty fair, I've been running Gadgetorium Yagn's spam since Bad Medicine dropped and without Travis Moone it's sometimes very rocky to start.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The thing the first came to my mind with Ol' Howard was Quarantine Tent with Desolation Row. Send Ms. Espinoza over there and she can still jump into a battle if she needs to after booting. Since it's DR you'll be getting that 5 GR you lost on the plan back pretty fast, just be sure to run some shootout movement cards and suddenly your rush becomes twice as quick.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Guess Law Dogs could also start a Bunkhouse to try and ease the starting influence problem.

Personally I'm going for the "start R&D Ranch, blow it up on the first play of the game and put two off value cards back into my deck" strategy.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
All of Ghost Town has been spoiled and added to dtdb by now: http://dtdb.co/en/set/GT

Constance Daughtry feels like a much needed apology to Law Dog players, Eagle Wardens Sidekicks become pretty much a full archetype and 108 are trying to steal EW's schtick as the joking faction (Lucretia Fanzini's flavour)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Been out of the game since the locals stopped playing, did the Eagle Wardens get better?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Spirit Fortress deck appeared at the start of December and became one of the decks to beat apparently (I haven't seen it in the wild), did you stop before that?

EW's problem was a lack of a win condition, which that deck fixed. The Epidemic Laboratory from Ghost Town gives them (and everyone else to differing extents) another one.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Well I just went 2-2 in a 9 person tournament which is fine. What kinda sucked was when I revealed a Joker in a draw hand, which then got Bottom Dealt. The guy I was playing against was adamant the Joker was still aced, so we asked the TO. He confirmed that, and I lost it. Unless there's been a reversal, that is incorrect.

Ok, fair enough, whatever.

Then the same guy reveals a Devil's Joker in a shootout, I This'll Hurt In The Morning it away, so following the same (incorrect) ruling, it gets aced. But he keeps the +2 bonus.

The protocol there is to go by the TO's ruling even when it's wrong, yeah?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Single Tight Female posted:

Well I just went 2-2 in a 9 person tournament which is fine. What kinda sucked was when I revealed a Joker in a draw hand, which then got Bottom Dealt. The guy I was playing against was adamant the Joker was still aced, so we asked the TO. He confirmed that, and I lost it. Unless there's been a reversal, that is incorrect.

Ok, fair enough, whatever.

Then the same guy reveals a Devil's Joker in a shootout, I This'll Hurt In The Morning it away, so following the same (incorrect) ruling, it gets aced. But he keeps the +2 bonus.

The protocol there is to go by the TO's ruling even when it's wrong, yeah?

You are correct that neither should have been aced as per the ruling on Fetch. I don't see why it would make a difference if it went to your hand or discard pile for it to not be aced.

However keeping the +2 bonus is correct because the bonus triggers on reveal not while it is in your hand. It's counter intuitive I know but they made a ruling a while back that +X to hand rank bonuses are triggered and remain regardless if the condition that triggered them exists. I think it came from when triggered effects from Tommy Harden, the ruling is that when you reveal your hand, if your opponent has an illegal hand it triggers, then if you do something like Bottom Dealin' and their hand becomes legal you still keep the bonus from Tommy.

In the case of the Devil's Joker you can pull stuff like reveal if, get the +2 then swap it out with Ghostly Gun to make your hand legal with the +2.

At the end of the day, the rules team doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing anyway so it's hard to expect the judges to know as well.

I don't know if anyone was following it but there was a really dumb ruling that amounted to "gaining ghost rock" only happens on cards that specifically say "gain X ghost rock" not "take X ghost rock", "get X ghost rock", "put X ghost rock into your stash", etc. It's the most counter intuitive ruling yet.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Alright, there's a ruling from Bithlord and the current FAQ states the bonus is lost, then there's at least one later ruling that says all hand rank changes are applied to a player, so the hand being discarded doesn't matter. I guess there I'm falling foul of their sloppy forum, my bad.

The more annoying part was the Jokers though, because one of the people playing who doubled down on the TO's ruling of the Jokers being aced is a playtester for the game. I don't expect everyone to know every ruling, but how Jokers work seems pretty drat fundamental to the game. He should know that.

Also yeah I watched and even participated in that Facebook discussion about XP Lula and loved the revelation that behind the scenes, there's apparently a very specific definition of "gain". Maybe make that info available to the players?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Alright, there's a ruling from Bithlord and the current FAQ states the bonus is lost, then there's at least one later ruling that says all hand rank changes are applied to a player, so the hand being discarded doesn't matter. I guess there I'm falling foul of their sloppy forum, my bad.

The more annoying part was the Jokers though, because one of the people playing who doubled down on the TO's ruling of the Jokers being aced is a playtester for the game. I don't expect everyone to know every ruling, but how Jokers work seems pretty drat fundamental to the game. He should know that.

Also yeah I watched and even participated in that Facebook discussion about XP Lula and loved the revelation that behind the scenes, there's apparently a very specific definition of "gain". Maybe make that info available to the players?

Rules have always been an issue. The fact that a guy was on the playtest team should have been a giant red flag that he doesn't know what he's talking about because they are completely separate teams and the rules guys never even bother to check with the designers before they determine how a card is going to work.

I hate this "don't bitch at the rules team, we're volunteers" thing. If you come to my house every morning and cut my grass but in the process you destroy my flowers and do a lovely job of actually cutting my grass; I don't care if you work for free: you're fired. As it has always been with AEG games, enthusiasm and good intentions trump skill and experience. You like our game and will draw some bad art for it? Thanks for the support, we'll make sure to hire your low talent rear end in the future! You have no idea how to play a game competitively? Join the playtest team, we need people to make sure these jank combos are still "fun". You don't understand how to parse ability test, or write timing windows? Sounds like a perfect fit for the rules team! Oh you also have a giant ego and need enforce your authoritarian values? Rules Team Leader!

I find it amusing that Bithlord continuously makes posts on the Doomtown FB page about how AEG is ignoring the property. That's funny.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I brought up the seemingly contradictory rulings on their forum because it still didn't seem right:

http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=116193

quote:

As clarification: When an *ability* generates a hand-rank bonus (or penalty), it applies to the players hand. If the cards in that hand are altered or subsequently changed (such as via double dealing) the hand-rank bonuses (or penalties) do not go away, they are applied to the new cards in that hand. This is distinct from a Joker affect (Devil's / Heretic's) which is only applied as long as the joker is in the hand.

At this point I no longer trust Andy's rulings. They are poorly thought out and written, and other people keep having to follow him with clarifications. The ruling as it stands is what I thought it was, what it should have always been, and now what it is.

But the wording on that clarification is just going to cause more headaches because it doesn't mention traits.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I brought up the seemingly contradictory rulings on their forum because it still didn't seem right:

http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=116193

At this point I no longer trust Andy's rulings. They are poorly thought out and written, and other people keep having to follow him with clarifications. The ruling as it stands is what I thought it was, what it should have always been, and now what it is.

But the wording on that clarification is just going to cause more headaches because it doesn't mention traits.

That's such an arbitrary ruling. Another example of these rules morons doubling down on stupidity instead of streamlining. Is there really any good reason a devil's joker bonus is contingent on being in one's hand while another hand rank bonus could stay in effect after that card has left play?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
If I wanted to take a guess I could see two arguments.

1 - Cards like Barton Everest that trigger on reveal apply instantly (bearing in mind Devil's/Heretic Jokers do not specifically apply their hand rank effects on reveal), and cards like LeMat revolver create an instant, one off change that is not reliant on anything else remaining true, so it doesn't matter if the card is removed or blanked.

2 - The phrase "ace this joker after use" means that the joker must be in hand when hands are compared - "used" to gain any effects. Actually I think this is probably the most likely as it remains consistent with jokers only being aced when left in hand. Also worth bearing in mind jokers are a distinct card type so they could have their own rules, but again, that should be in the rulebook.

Well, they're just flip sides of the same coin, but the ruling seems logical to me. It's more an issue of their poor templating than ruling.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Curtain Rises spoilers:

http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=116357

The rules team have taken a much needed step in fixing problems by issuing a bunch of errata and a couple of rules changes.

tl;dr:

Errata:

-Mugging and Nathan Shane changed to work as intended (Mugging can now ace a single card, Shane can look at a hand smaller than his bullets)
-Paralysis Mark can no longer target adjacent dudes*
-Ivor Hawley XP 1 only brings extra cards if played from hand (can no longer cover 8 casualties off a single Cheatin' Resolution)
-Hot Lead Flyin' is now a headline, only works if you actually lost dudes, and works on a 1:1 basis (no more losing by one and then causing 5 casualties to the other guy)

Rules:

-Game checks for double Weapons/Horses after attaching, not before
-Gadget invention changed so you can use General Store to invent in Town Square, etc.
-That Spirit Sidekick now works legally within the framework of the game
-Some trait/react/instead related changes to stop things like the Undertaker paying for someone who wasn't actually aced (this is a little too finicky to tldr)

It's a step in the right direction, but anyone put off by the rulings so far is probably not coming back.

*I mean this could have been changed to be Grit based instead of Value but either way, it probably needed something. If for no other reason than to stop the printing of silver bullets to Clown Control (I love Morgan but Yagn's is too prevalent)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I like all the changes except Paralysis Mark. I wish that it was boot to boot with a pull. Still would have been good but would have forced people to run more than a single dude loaded with hexes and also locked down the dude that cast it. Making it not target adjacent people is cripplingly bad errata.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Agreed that it's too much but your version seems a significantly worse Hustled. There's a middle ground somewhere with PMark, but this errata basically kills it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Agreed that it's too much but your version seems a significantly worse Hustled.

Well, spells should be worse than action cards since they're repeatable, don't take up hand size and don't get recycled into your deck. Also Hustled is an AS which isn't likely to see play in a spells deck so they would occupy different deck building space.

Grit might have been a fair compromise but honestly I don't see that doing a whole lot to change things because it would only eliminate your really high value cards and the big factor was the early game ability to lock down starting stud shooters and cheap influence guys.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
And spells are (more) telegraphed and tend to cost more. Boot to boot (adjacent) needs something else to make it worth running. You could still put it on weenies like Darragh Mèng or someone you're happy to have at home like Theo Whateley-Boyer and lock down the opposing Sloane.

The creation of cards like Tusk and Yagn's is what suggests the Grit change to P Mark, which is why it's a little odd they haven't done that or something like that. Which is my point overall, I don't think the actual errata works, I don't think your suggestion works, and you're probably right that making it Grit based wouldn't work either. The opportunity cost of the card was too low, now it's far too high.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Curtain Rises fully spoiled:

https://imgur.com/a/IGnNh

The missing card is:

Espuelas - 8H
Cost 0
Attire

+? Inf

While this dude has a Horse, they have +1 Influence
Noon, Boot: If this dude has a Horse, move them to an adjacent location

Also the included story has Ivor revealing his true form and killing Gang Yi so it's all popping off.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 12, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Thank God, they finally fixed Paralysis Mark.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Have there not been any spoilers leaked for 'A Grand Entrance' yet? A few sites have the boxart up, but usually we've had at least a card or two revealed by now.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Curtain Rises dropped very early (like three weeks) because of something or other, so we're still getting the tail end of story for that.

Worth noting the final pack of the Big Top cycle (or whatever they're calling it) has been leaked already with story blurb. The Showstopper [http://www.miniaturemarket.com/aeg5917.html]

It's Showtime! It's do or die for Abram and his posse as they confront Ivor once and for all! Will Pasteur's miracle be enough to stop the diseased ringmaster and his circus? Or will Gomorra find salvation in a less likely place? Lock and load for the towns most epic battle yet!

Looking forward to this because I would actually like something to happen in this loving storyline that matters. I think the general assumption is that Lula turns bad (that's her on the Grand Entrance boxart right?) but other than that nothing of consequence has happened since "David Orville Montreal - RIP" got blasted.

Aside from all that can I just say that Sight Beyond Sight is the absolute tits? My local meta is furiously pursuing DMH and that card just blasts it to smithereens.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Doomtown is dead again, it seems. AEG is giving back the rights to Pinnacle Entertainment Group, who doesn't have plans to continue the game after the October 10t release of Blood Moon Rising. I stopped playing the game because theorycrafting on decks was too much work, the templating and rules problems were giving my Magic-judge brain a headache, and the crowd around here wasn't that great. But I'm still sad to see the game go. I might buy all the sets I'm missing now that the game is done and I don't need to worry about keeping up with monthly releases.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
For some reason this is just making me laugh. I loved the setting but every element of the way it was handled was a shitshow. Could have done with a few more cycles to retain some life after cancellation but oh well.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They just didn't have the right talent behind their rules team, and it kept showing. I'm sad, but it was starting to seem inevitable.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Oh well. Hopefully there'll be some more Techniques in the last few packs, but otherwise, we're left with a decent card pool, at least.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Writing was on the wall after L5R got sold that AEG was looking to get out of the CCG/LCG market. They basically stopped marketing DTR heavily to the point that AEG employees were criticizing them on the facebook group. AEG has never had a particularly good design team for their games and every single one of their games had the same problems of templating and poor wording. Hopefully with the rights in the hands of Pinnacle again, someone else could come along and remake the game with some talent behind the scenes. Unfortunately it's a labor of love and I don't think anyone with the money and heart is also going to have the skill or be able to court someone who does.

RIP Doomtown.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's a drat shame. This was a great game, just with some wack-rear end rule interactions due to some looser language. I do hope they close out the meta correctly and make the weaker stuff viable.

I knew it was circling the drain, but it's still a bummer.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's funny because my friends and I really got into the game shortly before and after it "died" the first time. I got into it at launch and finally got folks around to start playing it, we put together a big order to catch up on all the recent packs, and as the order arrives, this announcement comes out.

At least it seems they have some time to wrap up their story, and we and don't end up with an All Good Things situation again where the game just ends on a record scratch and a completely busted meta (heya, Iron Dragon). And it'll still be fun to play with a complete set, and I can't imagine the meta will end as wonky as the original's was (but never say never, I suppose).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
If anyone's interested in this dead game, A Grand Entrance has dropped and The Showstopper's been fully spoiled.

http://dtdb.co/en/set/AGE
http://community.gomorragazette.com/t/the-showstopper-a-gomorra-gazette-set-review-spoilers-ahead/1093

Also a member of the design team is arguing on Facebook that terrible cards aren't a failure of design because there can be cards that make them good in the future. In a game with one big box of cards left. These guys should write comedy skits instead of bad western fiction.

• Locked thread