Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm surprised how many faces from the original CCG and Range Wars game are returning. Does anyone have a spoiler list of the current base set or first expansion?

:clint: a-yerp. The base set has been spoiled in nearly its entirety and put together for easy printing by David Boeren, though no idea about the saddlebag. I think that pdf is the most updated, but board game geek is down, so I could be wrong.

Do you cowpokes know about the Gamorra Gazette podcast? it's actually pretty good, and they talk a lot of strategy. The community's active in some ways that BGG or the official forum aren't, and they're putting on a BBQ at Orycon in conjunction with the Melee in the Maze tournament. All of this might overcome my complete disinterest in going to Orycon.

* e; game's out! yay!

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Happy release day! Go get your copy!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/09/08/preludes-pine-box/

I had a mental image of Lillian Morgan, this was not it.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Well what do you wear on casual Fridays?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Usually AEG is pretty smart about their art design on characters. A lot of the Scorpion chicks are dressed like whores because they whores. This was not the right call for this character. Implying that this chick got her money from being in a wealthy family and then seduced/married a rich man for more money is not a great call. I haven't read the fiction but hopefully she's going to be portrayed as a competent smart person as opposed to a gold digger that just seduces every problem she comes across.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Had the day off so I spent about 7 hours straight playing this. Never played the original or any other ECG for that matter. Gotta say I'm pretty hooked, played all the starter decks but I definitely liked playing Sloanes Gang the most. Deck building seems really involved and multi leveled so I honestly have no idea where to start as far as constructing my own.

Gotta say Mrs. Morgan looks pretty much nothing how I thought she would.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Usually AEG is pretty smart about their art design on characters. A lot of the Scorpion chicks are dressed like whores because they whores. This was not the right call for this character. Implying that this chick got her money from being in a wealthy family and then seduced/married a rich man for more money is not a great call. I haven't read the fiction but hopefully she's going to be portrayed as a competent smart person as opposed to a gold digger that just seduces every problem she comes across.

The "Mina" being referred to in the bit of fluff is Mina Devlin, owner of the Black River rail company. Lillian was probably a member of her Wichita Witches rail gang at some point, before marrying Mr. Morgan.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

PaybackJack posted:

If you'd excuse me, I'm about to sperg out a bit.

I don't know why I'm spoiliering the plot to a decade old splatbook and minis game, but Lillian Morgan is a holdover character from Range Wars: Ghost Creek, the old Diskwars spin-off for Deadlands, who got expanded upon in the splatbook 'Black Circle: Unholy Alliancce.' Lillian was a plant by Mina Devilin, owner of Black River railroad, to infiltrate Morgan Cattle Co. and ensure her rail lines had right of way through the town, and to stake claim on the abundance of mines located on Morgan land. She was also told to keep an eye on a local branch of Whateleys and have the means necessary to screw them over if necessary, as Black River was engaged in an uneasy conspiracy with the Whateleys at the time. Lillian took things a bit far and got married to Morgan's Founder, Nat Morgan. Morgan considered her a trophy wife, she considered him a walking money bag.

Then Lillian did the reasonable thing and secretly did some divination with entrails. First, she saw the conspiracy - and more importantly, the conspirators - in complete ruin. Second, she saw Morgan Cattle in complete ruin. This was bad. What's worse was a very hot-headed Nat was amassing a small private army of hired guns to deal with the claim-jumpers (The Confederate army, for example) pushing onto his land. She didn't want to be on the losing side and certainly didn't want to lose her grip on the bank account of one of the biggest companies in the country.

So she did something goddamed ridiculous. She murdered Nat Morgan in such a way that cast suspicion on the Whateleys, who were relatively restrained and in good standing with the public at the time, and arranged for documents that incriminated the Whateleys even further to fall into the hands of a gang of outlaw vigilantes. Not long after, the mines played out, the claim-jumpers left, and she was in control of a Fortune 500 company with a private army on retainer...

...Which she will be needing, since Black River is probably really pissed off right now and in dire need of money. Black River spent a fortune to be the first company to have a railway from Virginia to Lost Angels, California. The Wasatch Rail company got their first with the last big metaplot of the RPG, leaving Black River (and several other rail companies) in a very precarious situation.

As to why she's dressed like that, the reason is far more stupid. Pinnacle, the company who made Deadlands, really loving loves reusing art assets. As such, about half of the characters in Ghost Creek - Lil included - used artwork from their mid 90's RPG line. Lillian used the art for one of the generic Huckster portraits featuring a dance hall girl.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Got two boxes and started growing a mustache. Ready to shoot the poo poo out of people.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I guess its good to know that being a gold digging seductive witch is part of her history? Thanks for the story lesson anyway.

I got my 6+1 premium on the boat; unfortunately getting them on the boat was almost as expensive as just getting them. Only well, I probably won't do business with that distributor again. Sometime next week I'll have to form a posse and play a few games.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
I love how just changing up your starting posse can change up how a deck plays. I'll be running the starter Sloane deck but switching out the posse to be Sloane, Silas Aims, and Allie Hensman. Well unless it's the Law Dogs I'm going up against as Wendy Chengs boot ability can really hurt your potential shooter. Pretty much everyone running Law Dogs had her in their starting posse by the end of the day on launch.

I like running Everest in the Sloane starting posse as well since chances are your hands will be totally illegal during any shootouts and with how much that punishes you right now in the base set with all the cheatin cards available you need all the help you can get.

So far I really like how all the locations have abilities worth fighting over in town. All the gear is really useful as well and I can picture trying out pretty much all of it for my Sloane gang, especially the Peacemakers considering how much my group love to pack their decks with shoot out actions like Sun in Yer eyes.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Just to be clear, do you only need 1 starter box to get all serious about Doomtown, or do you need multiple copies?

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Just to be clear, do you only need 1 starter box to get all serious about Doomtown, or do you need multiple copies?

If you want 4-ofs for everything, you want two sets.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

PaybackJack posted:

I guess its good to know that being a gold digging seductive witch is part of her history? Thanks for the story lesson anyway.

I got my 6+1 premium on the boat; unfortunately getting them on the boat was almost as expensive as just getting them. Only well, I probably won't do business with that distributor again. Sometime next week I'll have to form a posse and play a few games.

Yeah, sorry for the plot-vomit. I should have just said she's a Crane or Scorpion clanner who was also a Spider Clan mole, but went rogue on the latter faction in the name of money. Crane Clan was the filthy rich clan, right?

But it bears repeating that the real reason she looks like that is that Pinnacle really loving loves to recycle art assets.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
I got my copy, but my first game is going to be three players. Can I make a decent deck for Morgan/Fourth Ring out of one base set without breaking up the premade Law Dog/Sloane Gang decks? Anyone have a list I can steal? Deck building in Doomtown is pretty overwhelming, having never actually played yet.

EDIT: Duh, stopped reading the "How to Play" after the example round and missed the pre-made lists. Guess I'll mess with those to start.

BoBtheImpaler fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 12, 2014

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Picked up my premium set today and played like 7-8 games . I threw together the premade Law Dogs last that was in the book and my opponent, being a Sweetrock vet decided to take up Morgan CC and threw her own deck together.

The two big things that struck me compared to the old game were the speed and the power of cheating. The game is a LOT faster and there isn't enough of a deterrent to cheating with the current cheating cards. That being said, we're both beyond thrilled to have Doomtown back and I can't wait to see what they expand with.

Also the premium set is totally the poo poo.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Finally got to pick up my copy, sit down, and play some games with a buddy. We both built and played really aggro so most of our games ended within the first two turns, but I can see branches and I'm interested in how strategy develops.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'm looking at Sloan and she says her bounty cannot be reduced below 1. I'm not sure if I should read that as she starts with a bounty of 1 or she starts with zero and just can't go lower if/when she does gain a bounty. Can anyone shed some light on this?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Slifter posted:

I'm looking at Sloan and she says her bounty cannot be reduced below 1. I'm not sure if I should read that as she starts with a bounty of 1 or she starts with zero and just can't go lower if/when she does gain a bounty. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The designers have said on BGG it's intended to be the latter.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Awesomely, Doomtown is flying off the shelves here, and my local FLGS wants to do the OP stuff. Hopefully AEG will have a solid release date soon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend and I tried the demo game (after finding a list and re-stacking the decks since the first thing I did after pulling off the wrapper was shuffling them). We enjoyed it, but were still fuzzy on what actions automatically boot a dude and which don't, particularly on moving. It's the one part of the game that we didn't find very intuitive, but it'll just take a few games before it "clicks", I'm sure.

The length of turns is very unfamiliar compared to basically any other card game. Each shootout felt like a whole turn in Magic. It's a war of attrition until no one has any plays left, and the end of the demo even showed that even if one player has no plays left, the other player can still have as many as three actions left.

I'm excited to play tonight with a group of guys who still bring out their old Doomtown decks once in a while.

One minor criticism: The game calls the victor of the opening lowball poker hand the "winner". This confused the hell out of my girlfriend when we were in a shootout and it said I got to do something first because I was "the winner". She thought it implied I was the winner of the shootout, but we hadn't done anything to determine a winner of that yet. They should have called the winner of that shootout literally anything else - if we're going with poker allusions, how about "the dealer"? That way you don't have the winner (of the lowball hand to determine who goes first) and the winner (of a particular shootout/action/whatever).

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

BJPaskoff posted:

We enjoyed it, but were still fuzzy on what actions automatically boot a dude and which don't, particularly on moving.

Actions that move a dude that aren't the game play action of moving (IE horses or printed actions on cards) keep him in whatever state he was in when he moved unless they specifically say otherwise.

The mantra I always used to remember natural rulebook movement in the game is:

"You always boot to move unless you're moving from home or town square to an adjacent location."

Every time you get confused about it, repeat the words in your head. It covers every normal movement.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Hey, this sucks: the decks that the learning walkthrough game has you play with aren't exactly the "starter" decks it tells you to build. So if you want to keep those learn-to-play decks intact but also build the Fourth Ring and Morgan Cattle Company decks, you're out of luck. I guess they wrote the walkthrough first and wrote up the starter decks later.

My hardcore gamer friend doesn't like the game that much, and I kind of see where he's coming from. He said "I like games where the cards break the rules, but this one feels like the game breaks its own rules." There's a lot of rules and a lot of exceptions to those rules, especially in regard to moving and joining posses. Hell, there's even a chart on the playmat board thing that tells you how to move dudes.

I still like the game a lot though and hope I can get at least a game in tonight.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Since I started with L5R and picked up Doomtown after I felt like the rules were SO much simpler. Each guy has one, maybe 2 abilities. Harrowed was like the only keyword that actually did something on its own; and is now. I liked that because it meant that there was less to keep track of on individual cards and place the emphasis more on cards in hand and movement around the board.

Game isn't for everyone but after a playing a couple times a few nights back I'm more optimistic about it than I was before. The only real negative I found was that a lot of the luck came with being able to punish a cheatin hand at the right time. This is obviously something that deckbuilding can help with but I just see the same problem still existing when you're playing the "deeds and dudes" deck that consistently pulls flushes. It's very counter intuitive not to do things like have a single heart in your deck and I see that being a big sticking point for my players when they learn to deck build.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I had a really great couple of games the other day. I played the 4th Ring starter vs. the MCC starter that I had previously been using. 4th Ring feels like the weakest faction at the moment, due to needing spells and having no tutor for them, but I was able to pull of an incredible turn around victory by surprising my opponent with a 3 Stud Mongwa the Mighty after he had thought he'd wiped out enough influence to win the game.

I've been pondering Lilian Morgan, and I think she's a great K for MCC, but I'm wondering if her Huckster skill is a trap. Do you want spells in your Morgan deck? Will the first saddle bag have cards that make her viable as a spellcaster? Is she better in a 4th Ring deck?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've been pondering Lilian Morgan, and I think she's a great K for MCC, but I'm wondering if her Huckster skill is a trap. Do you want spells in your Morgan deck? Will the first saddle bag have cards that make her viable as a spellcaster? Is she better in a 4th Ring deck?

Probably not, because her upkeep is raised to 8, when in non-Morgan deck.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

adhuin posted:

Probably not, because her upkeep is raised to 8, when in non-Morgan deck.

For some reason, I keep forgetting that it's per Influence and not just +1.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/doomtown-rules-faq/

Some clarifications and errata. I'm mostly surprised at Sloane not starting out Wanted.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PaybackJack posted:

Since I started with L5R and picked up Doomtown after I felt like the rules were SO much simpler. Each guy has one, maybe 2 abilities. Harrowed was like the only keyword that actually did something on its own; and is now. I liked that because it meant that there was less to keep track of on individual cards and place the emphasis more on cards in hand and movement around the board.

Game isn't for everyone but after a playing a couple times a few nights back I'm more optimistic about it than I was before. The only real negative I found was that a lot of the luck came with being able to punish a cheatin hand at the right time. This is obviously something that deckbuilding can help with but I just see the same problem still existing when you're playing the "deeds and dudes" deck that consistently pulls flushes. It's very counter intuitive not to do things like have a single heart in your deck and I see that being a big sticking point for my players when they learn to deck build.

Compared to the slugfest that was 7th Sea/L5R/LBS doomtown is a breath of fresh air.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Compared to the slugfest that was 7th Sea/L5R/LBS doomtown is a breath of fresh air.

I miss events, and I hope they bring them back in one of the saddlebags.

For the uninitiated, events were heart-suited cards that had effects if they showed up in your low ball hand. They were pretty fun.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/09/23/first-days-gomorra-managing-early-game/

If you're new to the game, this is a good article about managing the early game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Just got home from our store's second Doomtown night. I actually enjoyed the game more this time around, now that people are figuring out more positional play. I'm enjoying playing Morgan quite a bit, and it feels like Morgan and Sloane are the main decks to beat. There might be a strong Fourth Ring deck out there too, but the crazy clowns feel less consistent than the big two. The Law Dogs feel like they're missing tools, unfortunately; their main advantage seems to be being able to start with Wendy, but wanted punishment doesn't feel strong enough as a core strategy.

Probably going to tweak my current Morgan deck towards the flush/straight flush archetype, either in Deeds or Actions. Haven't made up my mind which one is more viable yet.

e: Here's what I played last night. It's bad; it generates garbage draw hands that frequently cheat in order to get anything at all. Aside from that tiny little insignificant drawback it's pretty nifty though. The point is to run them all over town trying to control your deeds, then hit them with a key Kidnappin' while they're too spread out to properly defend it.

Outfit
1x Morgan Cattle Co. (*)

Dudes
1x AS Clementine Lepp (starting)
1x AS Irving Patterson (starting)
1x 3S Ramiro Mendoza (starting)
1x 5S Travis Moone (starting)
1x 7S Androcles Brocklehurst (starting)
3x 8S Steven Wiles
1x 9S Xiong "Wendy" Cheng
1x JS Rémy LaPointe

Deeds
2x 5D Charlie's Place
2x 5D Pearly's Palace
2x 6D Killer Bunnies Casino
2x 6D Stagecoach Office
2x 7D Blake Ranch
2x 7D Cattle Market
2x 8D Circle M Ranch
2x 8D Pat's Perch
2x 9D Morgan Research Institute
2x 10D The Union Casino
2x JD Jackson's Strike

Actions
4x 5C Pistol Whip
4x 6C One Good Turn...
4x 7C Kidnappin'
4x 8C Rumors
4x 9C Cheatin' Varmint

Joker
1x Joker
1x Joker

(Using a German deckbuilding site because I haven't found any others for Doomtown so far.)

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 25, 2014

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
This is a pretty basic deck I've been working on, plays very aggressive and is quite consistent. It started out with a starting posse and all clubs and I've been slowly easing it back to try to find the sweet spot of consistency vs lowball and card power.

Sloan Clubbed to Death

Outfit
1x The Sloane Gang

Starting Dudes
1x AS Allie Hensman
1x 3S Lawrence Blackwood
1x 3S Ramiro Mendoza
1x 5S Barton Everest
1x 5S Travis Moone

Dudes
2x 8S Steven Wiles

Deeds
1x 6D Stagecoach Office
1x 8D Pat's Perch

Goods
2x 3H Shotgun

Actions
2x 2C Bottom Dealin'
4x 3C The Stakes Just Rose
4x 4C War Paint
4x 5C Pistol Whip
4x 6C One Good Turn...
4x 7C Kidnappin'
4x 8C Rumors
4x 9C Cheatin' Varmint
4x 10C Unprepared
4x JC A Coach Comes to Town
3x KC Point Blank

Joker
2x Joker

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That deck builder has some bugs.

Anyway, I've found that Morgan's dudes are pretty good candidates for Legendary Holsters. Remy LaPointe can rival Sloane herself in bullets, coming up short just by one, and Lane Healy on a horse with a Legendary Holster will also hit 5. You can't really mix this with Gadgets though, since the low pull requirements will not let you reach the target numbers necessary to bring them into play. But that's fine, since I don't think gadget decks are a working archtype yet.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I think there may be something with combining Gadgets and Hexes. Playing Morgan you can afford to not only start Steele Archer but additional out of faction dudes. The deck I would/will build only runs Blood Curse, Shadow Walk and Soul Blast. The deck would try to use Shotgun, Soul Blast and things like Point Blank to kill dudes and Force Field to cover for weaker hands.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gomorra's sweaty new mayoral candidate.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/10/01/ntnr-preview-wilbur-crowley/

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I think he'll be huge for giving Fourth Ring a viable starting posse. Right now every configuration seems subpar at best.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I think he'll be huge for giving Fourth Ring a viable starting posse. Right now every configuration seems subpar at best.

Yeah, plus it makes Huckster Morgan a bit more appealing.

Also,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tWRE8DHUc3nbrLQtmFiO_zBqst9Npyv0uaLsVLmEhfw/pubhtml

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Ooh, Huckster 1 with an Influence and no upkeep, looks like we have a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm playing mad science tonight. Wish me luck.

(Well I'm playing one mad scientist and one gadget, but still...)

• Locked thread