Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Hi Doomtown thread, been playing for a while now and was hoping to get a little critique of my current deck. It's worth mentioning that I play Doomtown split probably 50/50 between single and multiplayer (3 a lot more often than 4) and my group are only just getting their own copies, so I've been playing against decks I built for them.

quote:

Morgan Cattle Co. (Base Set)

Dude (16)
1x Irving Patterson* (Base Set)
1x James Ghetty (Base Set)
1x Lane Healey (Base Set)
1x Androcles Brocklehurst (Base Set)
2x Steven Wiles (Base Set)
1x Kyle Wagner* (New Town, New Rules)
1x Roderick Byre (New Town, New Rules)
1x Angélica Espinosa (Double Dealin')
2x Mario Crane (Double Dealin')
1x Drew Beauman (Election Day Slaughter)
1x Arvid Mardh (Election Day Slaughter)
1x Jake Smiley* (Election Day Slaughter)
1x William Specks* (Faith and Fear)
1x Chuān “Jen” Qí* (Faith and Fear)

Deed (15)
1x Blake Ranch (Base Set)
1x Cattle Market (Base Set)
2x Circle M Ranch (Base Set)
2x Pat's Perch (Base Set)
1x Bunkhouse (Base Set)
1x Morgan Research Institute (Base Set)
1x Jackson's Strike (Base Set)
1x Undertaker (Base Set)
1x The Pharmacy (Base Set)
2x Surveyor's Office (Double Dealin')
1x St. Anthony's Chapel (Faith and Fear)
1x Shane & Graves Security (Frontier Justice)

Goods (8)
2x Flame-Thrower (Base Set)
2x Force Field (Base Set)
2x Mechanical Horse (Base Set)
2x Bio-Charged Neutralizer (Faith and Fear)

Action (13)
2x Pinned Down (Base Set)
4x Cheatin' Varmint (Base Set)
2x Hired Help (New Town, New Rules)
1x It's Not What You Know... (Double Dealin')
4x This’ll Hurt in the Mornin’ (Faith and Fear)

Cards up to Frontier Justice

This is like my third revision of the deck to tighten it up. The idea is obviously to have Jen invent a Mechanical Horse to get both her bonuses, and have Kyle Wagner and William Specks get the Bio-Charged Neutralizers since barring Shane and Graves they can't fail the pulls. Previously the other queens were kings for Auto-Cattle Feeder and Point Blank, but ACF rarely made a difference and Point Blank basically required the Neutralizers on to work, so I scrapped that.

Is this deck just a mess? In the games I have with friends it tends to put out a lot of deeds but I'm still not sure if it's fast enough to be landslide. Alternatively, sometimes I have real trouble seeing the right gadgets on people, especially if something goes wrong and I lose William or Kyle early. I run all the Cheatin' Punishment cards because the guy who plays 4R goes for five of a kind all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Oh yeah, my bad. Deck's here. It's basically 8s and 9s, but at this point I'm thinking if I should just get out of gadgets altogether. Like I said before, I actually canned some gadgets for more deeds on this revision.

The deck feels weak to opponents shootout actions as well. 90% of the time going into a shootout I'm passing, and then someone will just get Unprepared or otherwise dumped on.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

So the final deck will look something like this:

With this setup you've got 1 GR, 2 upkeep but you're starting a pretty solid lineup of guys. With a Deed scheme most things costing 3 or less with minimal CP, you should be able to build anything in your deck without needing to win lowball the first turn, but with your values you'll actually be pretty good at winning lowball. The deck has a lot of actions which should buy you the time you need to get rolling, we've got just about all the out of town deeds you can ask for which is helpful for getting setup. Our in town deeds are all useful and places that we'll have no problem wanting to camp out in. Build up your deeds, dudes then wait for the moment when you can drop Nicodemus and clean up by booting all your dudes in a location. The Pags and Travis are helpful in this case as you can use them to call out whoever comes a knocking and not have to get Nicodemus involved in a fight. Early game you should hit a flush, but be able to punish cheating pretty well, late game you're looking at straight flushes all the time.

This is super excellent and I'll run it as soon as I can, thanks. My multiplayer games have followed the same pattern as yours it seems, everyone's very hesitant to commit to anything except occasionally leaping to a 2-CP deed, usually with some kind of way to back out safely if needed. We're definitely ending up with a lot of kingmaking and politicking too, so a deck that accelerates towards victory in one move would probably work a lot better. Just to check, is it your contention that Mad Science is poor in the current card pool as it has no win condition (only supplementing others) or is that alongside it being bad against the kind of decks people are running now?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Hey PaybackJack I kept meaning to thank you for that Morgan deck, but it took forever to get a goodly number of plays in with it and enjoy the consistency. So cheers! (I've moved on to Eagle Wardens now though, after a disastrous attempt at the 108)

PaybackJack posted:

Hmm, does the Wretched work with token dudes. I think I read you don't own them somewhere so if that's correct then he doesn't which is a shame. Summoning Spirits then turning them into abominations would be pretty cool.

I wanted to check this because I've been using No Turning Back on my Spirits and the answer is yes. (http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=114386#p1479472)

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Combing through there is nothing in the rules that supports it working - the token rules say nothing about ownership and specifically say tokens don't come from your deck, the ownership rules only say you own stuff that comes from your deck. What seems the simplest solution to me is for Token dudes to have a line about ownership printed on them - something they could really have done from IOUF.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Full The Light Shineth spoilers are on that new blog, The Gadgetorium - http://the-gadgetorium.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/spoiler-light-shineth.html

I am loving the fallout from Dave's death.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Am I missing something or is that another huge written blunder from AEG (if you're playing multiplayer)? Whose hand do I see?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah I keep tripping over the implication of certain wordings, especially because I can never seem to find the actual rulings in the FAQ, composite rules or searching their forum. Thanks guys.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah. And to add further fuel to the fire, that's not the print version of Rico.

Also if you're looking for rulings the Gadgetorium has a lot of them. Between that and the composite rules you're pretty good to go.

http://the-gadgetorium.blogspot.com/p/collected-rulings.html

It's more trying to find specific instances of things that are either covered or implied by the rules but aren't specifically listed under a logical heading. Like who "your opponent" is.

edit: In fact, I just found one ruling listed on the Gadgetorium that contradicts the ruling given on the DT forums which it hyperlinks to. This is why we need a real, collected and properly edited rulings list. But I'm sure nobody disagrees with this so it's a moot point.

Also

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 28, 2015

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I just realised my friend is going to try and work Tlaloc's Furies into his old Bobo/Tom/Morgan Research deck and try to make Bobo a 15 stud.

Best be running Unprepared!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
90% sure this exact combo has been discussed somewhere before but I can't find it now - Clown Carriage into The Wretched acing a dude with Vitality Tonic is a legal move right? Seems like acing your dude is a requirement, not a cost but hell if I know.

edit: or is acing a dude always a cost?

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 24, 2015

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Fair enough. I feel like I still just don't understand what exactly is a cost in this game :(

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah I probably should have done that first, but it's a weird one. It's a particularly janky combo since Vitality Tonic replaces an ace with a discard during a shootout, so you have to Clown Carriage or find some other way to bring in The Wretched during a shootout.

But I was basically under the impression that costs were either things like "Noon, Boot" where you have to be able to boot, or "Pay 1 ghost rock TO do this effect" and if you replace the paying 1 ghost rock, you don't get the effect. The Wretched has already entered play and just looks for a body to ace. Maybe the ruling will come if you save a dude with a react, you have to look for someone else to ace.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Aramoro posted:

That would still leave a slight issue of Acing as part of a cost and Acing as an effect and triggers for things that happen when a dude is Aced. that structure would mean the Undertaker would happily bury a guy that the Doctor has got back on his feet.

That does already happen though. The new React and Trait timing rules they introduced mean dudes saved by Lay on Hands or whatever still generate GR for the Undertaker's controller.

That's why I'm thinking you must be able to negate the ace caused by The Wretched. Unless they change how the card is worded, his second sentence is a trait. The Wretched enters play, aces a Dude, the inventing MS gets a bounty. Then you go to react triggers and resolve the Vitality Tonic on the aced Dude.

Their other rulings regarding costs and aces are for things like No Turning Back, where "Ace a dude you own and control" is the cost that must be paid, "to reduce your casualties this round to zero." The Wretched isn't acing a dude to cause something to happen - someone is being aced after The Wretched enters play.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Wait what? When did this happen? So Dr. Emanuel Ashbel cannot save himself and Vitality Tonic works at all because it would do literally nothing if it didn't break the timing?

Undertaker gives money even when dude is saved - http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115431
New React and Trait timing - http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115412
Trait is active anywhere because it wouldn't work otherwise - http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115306

Last but not least the question of whether Arnold and Emanuel can save themselves - http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115484 (under discussion)

This is the pile of rulings I'm trying to work with atm.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Roku-Mart are now doing Doomtown and that's resulted in the entirety of Foul Play being spoiled.

http://www.roku-mart.com/product-category/ccg-tcg-games/doomtown-reloaded/singles/012-foul-play/

On that page the text of each card is blacked out but if you click through to each individual card you can see it with just the flavour text missing. I think it's called Foul Play because some of these cards seem loving dirty as hell. Marty seems good.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
They didn't respond to you directly Aramoro, but

quote:

Clarification per rules team huddle:

Acing a dude is not part of the cost of the wretched.

So it looks like my janky Wretched/Clown Carriage/Vitality Tonic play is legal. As is anything else used to save the aced dude after The Wretched enters play.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Luke also lets you trade Bio Charged Neutralizers. Which means Luke is a potential 4 stud and Willa from the same pack is a potential 3 stud for only 1 GR and 0 upkeep from the start.

I've been playing Eagle Wardens since their introduction but Morgan seems to have finally bounced back at this point.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
So Ghost Town spoilers are starting. Wasn't gonna bother linking the first one since I think it's decidedly "eh" but this second one oh boy.

Lot of stuff that you can try with Ol' Howard. Undertaker for 4R Abom Recursion/Eagle Warden Spirits, Lula's Exploit for Gadget decks, Joker's Smile for anyone else? California Tax Office and General Store are also two cards you tend to want to see early, the list goes on.

That said the trade seems pretty fair, I've been running Gadgetorium Yagn's spam since Bad Medicine dropped and without Travis Moone it's sometimes very rocky to start.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Guess Law Dogs could also start a Bunkhouse to try and ease the starting influence problem.

Personally I'm going for the "start R&D Ranch, blow it up on the first play of the game and put two off value cards back into my deck" strategy.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
All of Ghost Town has been spoiled and added to dtdb by now: http://dtdb.co/en/set/GT

Constance Daughtry feels like a much needed apology to Law Dog players, Eagle Wardens Sidekicks become pretty much a full archetype and 108 are trying to steal EW's schtick as the joking faction (Lucretia Fanzini's flavour)

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Spirit Fortress deck appeared at the start of December and became one of the decks to beat apparently (I haven't seen it in the wild), did you stop before that?

EW's problem was a lack of a win condition, which that deck fixed. The Epidemic Laboratory from Ghost Town gives them (and everyone else to differing extents) another one.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Well I just went 2-2 in a 9 person tournament which is fine. What kinda sucked was when I revealed a Joker in a draw hand, which then got Bottom Dealt. The guy I was playing against was adamant the Joker was still aced, so we asked the TO. He confirmed that, and I lost it. Unless there's been a reversal, that is incorrect.

Ok, fair enough, whatever.

Then the same guy reveals a Devil's Joker in a shootout, I This'll Hurt In The Morning it away, so following the same (incorrect) ruling, it gets aced. But he keeps the +2 bonus.

The protocol there is to go by the TO's ruling even when it's wrong, yeah?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Alright, there's a ruling from Bithlord and the current FAQ states the bonus is lost, then there's at least one later ruling that says all hand rank changes are applied to a player, so the hand being discarded doesn't matter. I guess there I'm falling foul of their sloppy forum, my bad.

The more annoying part was the Jokers though, because one of the people playing who doubled down on the TO's ruling of the Jokers being aced is a playtester for the game. I don't expect everyone to know every ruling, but how Jokers work seems pretty drat fundamental to the game. He should know that.

Also yeah I watched and even participated in that Facebook discussion about XP Lula and loved the revelation that behind the scenes, there's apparently a very specific definition of "gain". Maybe make that info available to the players?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I brought up the seemingly contradictory rulings on their forum because it still didn't seem right:

http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=116193

quote:

As clarification: When an *ability* generates a hand-rank bonus (or penalty), it applies to the players hand. If the cards in that hand are altered or subsequently changed (such as via double dealing) the hand-rank bonuses (or penalties) do not go away, they are applied to the new cards in that hand. This is distinct from a Joker affect (Devil's / Heretic's) which is only applied as long as the joker is in the hand.

At this point I no longer trust Andy's rulings. They are poorly thought out and written, and other people keep having to follow him with clarifications. The ruling as it stands is what I thought it was, what it should have always been, and now what it is.

But the wording on that clarification is just going to cause more headaches because it doesn't mention traits.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
If I wanted to take a guess I could see two arguments.

1 - Cards like Barton Everest that trigger on reveal apply instantly (bearing in mind Devil's/Heretic Jokers do not specifically apply their hand rank effects on reveal), and cards like LeMat revolver create an instant, one off change that is not reliant on anything else remaining true, so it doesn't matter if the card is removed or blanked.

2 - The phrase "ace this joker after use" means that the joker must be in hand when hands are compared - "used" to gain any effects. Actually I think this is probably the most likely as it remains consistent with jokers only being aced when left in hand. Also worth bearing in mind jokers are a distinct card type so they could have their own rules, but again, that should be in the rulebook.

Well, they're just flip sides of the same coin, but the ruling seems logical to me. It's more an issue of their poor templating than ruling.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Curtain Rises spoilers:

http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=116357

The rules team have taken a much needed step in fixing problems by issuing a bunch of errata and a couple of rules changes.

tl;dr:

Errata:

-Mugging and Nathan Shane changed to work as intended (Mugging can now ace a single card, Shane can look at a hand smaller than his bullets)
-Paralysis Mark can no longer target adjacent dudes*
-Ivor Hawley XP 1 only brings extra cards if played from hand (can no longer cover 8 casualties off a single Cheatin' Resolution)
-Hot Lead Flyin' is now a headline, only works if you actually lost dudes, and works on a 1:1 basis (no more losing by one and then causing 5 casualties to the other guy)

Rules:

-Game checks for double Weapons/Horses after attaching, not before
-Gadget invention changed so you can use General Store to invent in Town Square, etc.
-That Spirit Sidekick now works legally within the framework of the game
-Some trait/react/instead related changes to stop things like the Undertaker paying for someone who wasn't actually aced (this is a little too finicky to tldr)

It's a step in the right direction, but anyone put off by the rulings so far is probably not coming back.

*I mean this could have been changed to be Grit based instead of Value but either way, it probably needed something. If for no other reason than to stop the printing of silver bullets to Clown Control (I love Morgan but Yagn's is too prevalent)

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Agreed that it's too much but your version seems a significantly worse Hustled. There's a middle ground somewhere with PMark, but this errata basically kills it.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
And spells are (more) telegraphed and tend to cost more. Boot to boot (adjacent) needs something else to make it worth running. You could still put it on weenies like Darragh Mèng or someone you're happy to have at home like Theo Whateley-Boyer and lock down the opposing Sloane.

The creation of cards like Tusk and Yagn's is what suggests the Grit change to P Mark, which is why it's a little odd they haven't done that or something like that. Which is my point overall, I don't think the actual errata works, I don't think your suggestion works, and you're probably right that making it Grit based wouldn't work either. The opportunity cost of the card was too low, now it's far too high.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Curtain Rises fully spoiled:

https://imgur.com/a/IGnNh

The missing card is:

Espuelas - 8H
Cost 0
Attire

+? Inf

While this dude has a Horse, they have +1 Influence
Noon, Boot: If this dude has a Horse, move them to an adjacent location

Also the included story has Ivor revealing his true form and killing Gang Yi so it's all popping off.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 12, 2016

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The Curtain Rises dropped very early (like three weeks) because of something or other, so we're still getting the tail end of story for that.

Worth noting the final pack of the Big Top cycle (or whatever they're calling it) has been leaked already with story blurb. The Showstopper [http://www.miniaturemarket.com/aeg5917.html]

It's Showtime! It's do or die for Abram and his posse as they confront Ivor once and for all! Will Pasteur's miracle be enough to stop the diseased ringmaster and his circus? Or will Gomorra find salvation in a less likely place? Lock and load for the towns most epic battle yet!

Looking forward to this because I would actually like something to happen in this loving storyline that matters. I think the general assumption is that Lula turns bad (that's her on the Grand Entrance boxart right?) but other than that nothing of consequence has happened since "David Orville Montreal - RIP" got blasted.

Aside from all that can I just say that Sight Beyond Sight is the absolute tits? My local meta is furiously pursuing DMH and that card just blasts it to smithereens.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
For some reason this is just making me laugh. I loved the setting but every element of the way it was handled was a shitshow. Could have done with a few more cycles to retain some life after cancellation but oh well.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
If anyone's interested in this dead game, A Grand Entrance has dropped and The Showstopper's been fully spoiled.

http://dtdb.co/en/set/AGE
http://community.gomorragazette.com/t/the-showstopper-a-gomorra-gazette-set-review-spoilers-ahead/1093

Also a member of the design team is arguing on Facebook that terrible cards aren't a failure of design because there can be cards that make them good in the future. In a game with one big box of cards left. These guys should write comedy skits instead of bad western fiction.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I hadn't realised that thing about his enter play effect, that's hilarious. What a lousy card. Also I'm sometimes an apologist for Stobinski's art (Travis Moone xp is genuinely good, I'd argue Guide Horse and Mountain Lion Friend work pretty well) but All or Nothing is just a mess. Why's Pancho(?*) floating? Why are the pistol barrels so long?

The FB post is https://www.facebook.com/groups/DoomtownCCG/permalink/10154260646396181/ if that link works, the discussion follows the first post by Chad Crider.

*I know it's Pancho since he's kicking with the rest of the crew according to story, but that could easily be Ramiro if he wasn't dead.

edit: Speaking of art, enjoy promo Jacqueline Isham, a full bleed alt art card I would definitely go out of my way to win a tournament for.

Single Tight Female fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 18, 2016

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
So Blood Moon Rising has dropped. Doomtown Reloaded is officially "complete".

And it ends with more of a whimper than a bang. I can upload all the cards if anyone cares, but they'll be on DTDB soon enough.

Let's see what we got: cards that explicitly care about the names of other cards, a new King dude who can't be in play with the King they're replacing, a non-108 Faction dude with Kung Fu, three(!) Deputies, cards that care about the number of Deeds you control, Francine*, a new Tao (with only two cards and no finisher), two dudes pulled from future sets that were designed by players, and a Deed tutor.

A lot of stuff that would be quite interesting if the game continued, basically, but most of it functionally DOA. Oh, and one of the two player designed dudes is misprinted as a draw instead of a stud. Classic AEG.

One positive I will say is, most of the homes are good. Law Dogs is arguably their best.

*Marion Seville's knife, in case you forgot.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

I'd appreciate it if you did. For tradition's sake, could you take blurry cellphone pictures of them? :v:

Unfortunately I'm not looking for a job with AEG so I put in a level of basic competency. That said I did get lazier with each scan which sort of represents their attitude towards Doomtown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
For clarity, Dave "Slim" Gorman is the player-designed card who's the wrong bullet type. He's already errata'd to be a stud.

And in other news, 108 Worldly Desires has had errata issued to make it not work on ties anymore, except with Companhurst's. It's for balance apparently since the home was so dominant. Kinda good news since my preposterous 108 Christian Soldiers deck used those cards anyway for the income.

• Locked thread