Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone have any favorite articles about some of the universal strategies in the game? Less interested in stuff like specific card evaluation or deck building, and more like articles describing paths to victory, the tempo of a game, some basic heuristics to follow, etc. Sort of like Who's the Beatdown for Magic, or some of the early Alexfrog stuff for Netrunner about the major phases of the game, scoring windows, taxing vs etr ice, etc

We've learned the rules and followed the demo but are a little uncertain about things like what should we be doing at various points during the game, what is a good play, who is winning, etc. We'll keep pulling levers and pressing buttons until we figure it out, but as I introduce it to more players it would be nice to have a primer handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This is great, thanks!

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the strategy in Doomtown is very situational. And right now, the situations are very opaque. Playing with the two demo decks, it's hard to determine on a situational basis whether you have much of an advantage in a potential shootout, whether an act of aggression is warranted, and whether the outcome of an event outside of a clear slaughter led to a favorable position for either player. How important was that deed you just fought over? One person had a casualty, one person spent a shootout card, one person booted a guy, etc .. in terms of card advantage, board state, and win conditions who furthered their position? These sorts of situations do seem to become clearer towards the end of a turn when people's hands are diminished, more things are booted, etc, but at the beginning of a turn it's definitely in "press buttons and levers and see what happens" mode still, heh.

One piece of advice I read somewhere is to think of potential shootouts/acts of aggression not primarily in terms of "will I win?" but in terms of "what will it cost each player?" That sort of reaffirms your points about poking at players with a guy like Travis Moone. The "will I win?" line of thinking sort of leads to a cold war and all-in shootouts, maybe.

Something that I think might help us in particular is trying out some netdecks that push a particular strength/line of play really hard, sooner than later. Directionless Magic decks are really prone to stalled board states and actually a little more difficult to play than a well-tuned basic midrange deck, and I wonder if the same is sort of true for the detuned demo decks in Doomtown.

We're probably going to play a bunch next weekend so I'll let you know how that goes.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

That's definitely true, I always recommend playing decks with a direction and built in clock of some kind, which is why I always recommend Allie Hensman in any deck that can run her, because adding in a card that generates control points just for you is a great finisher/accelerator.

I would definitely get off the demo decks asap. They're really there just to give you and idea of play and you're exactly right that they will stall really easily.

How many expansions did you jump into? Still on a single core?

I actually have 2 cores and the first 5 saddle packs and pine box. As we were talking about in the other thread, I don't feel comfortable forming an opinion on a constructed card game without some more cards to work with than the core sets usually have, so I pushed some chips in on this one :)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Doomtown and all expansion packs are on sale at cardhaus today, if you want to go nuts

• Locked thread