Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I had a chance to try this out at a LFGS before heading to work today and, truth be told, I didn't like it. I got in two games with the Law Dogs vs Sloans Gang using the starter decks and "recommended" starting characters for both factions. Both games I lost in the second turn. Part of the problem I had was that the Law Dogs had no real economy to speak of at the start (3 whole ghost rock and only 2 more a turn? Sign me up) combined with no money-making deeds the first game and one of my two money-making deeds costing 5 or 6 ghost rock to play. The other part was the Sloan player got a first-turn shotgun in the first game and proceeded to wipe me out turn two, and in the second game between having control points on 3 characters, control of two locations and picking off the one person I played with kidnapping and killing two more of my characters when I tried to kill the one person to control his property. Overall it left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm going to pass on the game. I'll play it when other people want to and use someone's pre-made deck, but it's not a must-buy for me, nor something I'll ask to play. I know after the fact that it's an area control game, and that you should avoid fights whenever possible, but it's hard to when one deck has a "tap: kill a character in this shootout" and several "pick a character. That character dies" cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Slifter posted:

Just to be clear the Shotgun compares your dude's bullets (generally 1-3 base) against their value (Ace to King). It's good for blowing up small dudes but it's generally possible to play around. The closest a card comes to just killing a dude is Legendary Holster which pretty much requires building your deck around.

Not going to disagree that Sloan early aggression is very strong, at last right now I think it is the most powerful archetype. Kidnapping aside generally you are going to need to start guys with good influence and keep them at home while you set up deeds, if you can force Sloan to spread out and leave the town square they lose a lot of power. Also I don't know what the normal starting lineup is but if you do play again start with Wendy, her printed shootout action is really strong and goes along way to giving you an edge in an early shoot out should one happen.

Wait, doesn't kidnap work on people in the Home location? Because he played it on the person I just played and the person demoing didn't say a word. Ditto the shotgun (though that may have been on a 4- or less character anyways. The law dog with 1 stud bullet and increases the value of your hand if your opponent cheats). The other thing that bugged me was that the Law Dog home ability isn't that good against the Sloans when they want to be wanted, though I'm assuming that's more of a multiplayer mechanic.

• Locked thread