Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Welcome to the Doomtown Reloaded thread!

"This gun needs more gun."

What is Doomtown Reloaded?
Doomtown Reloaded is the "expandable card game" reboot of the great Doomtown CCG. You and your outfit are vying for control of the town of Gomorra, a once thriving boomtown that was laid low by magical bullshit. While it's certainly past its heyday, it's still a very valuable location that is bringing several powerful factions into conflict.

Expandable Card Game? How is this different from a CCG? Or from an LCG?
It's different from a CCG in that the expansions come in fixed sets. You buy one, and have every card in the set. AEG will be doing two types of expansions. Smaller Saddlebag expansions, and larger Pinebox expansions.

It's different from an LCG in that it's not different at all. It's the exact same thing.

Factions? I love factions. Tell me about these factions!
Well okay, there's currently four of them.

The Law Dogs.
The Law Dogs are the law, dogs. Sheriffs, Judges, Depuities, and regular upstanding citizens trying keep order in Gomorra. What little there is to be had, anyway. Mechanically, they're whole deal is getting Dudes declared Wanted and then punishing them.

The Sloane Gang
The Sloane Gang, led by Sloane, are the outlaws of Gomorra. Lowlifes, thugs, and murderers in it to make a quick buck. Mechanically, they're great in shootouts, and seem geared towards pulling Jobs.

The Morgan Cattle Co
A powerful cattle company. They're mostly made up of cowboys, with the odd mad scientist from MCC's R&D division. Mechanically, they're the money faction, whose dudes benefit from having Horse cards attached. They're also currently the defacto Mad Scientist faction.

The Fourth Ring
A mysterious circus. Their members include monsters, sorcerers, and a sexy clown. Mechanically, they're a bag of tricks, relying on hexes to bolster their power.

Why the Poker tag?
Poker is used to resolve combat. You see, each card...

..has a poker value and suit on the top left side. This is also used in other things such as Hex pulls and randomizers for card effects, but we'll skip that for now. When you get into a gunfight, you draw a hand of five cards that is then modified by your dude's bullet rating. Your goal is to get the highest poker hand possible. Once you and your opponent finish, you compare hands, and suffer causalities based on the difference in your hand ranks.

Well cool, how do I get started?
Buy the core set! It's got everything you need to play, though you'll need to buy two to get a full four of each card.

There are two types of expansion packs. The small releases, called Saddlebags, and the larger Pine Boxes.

Current Saddlebags
New Town, New Rules
Double Dealing
Election Day Slaughter
Frontier Justice
No Turning Back
Nightmare at Noon

Future Saddlebags

Current Pine Boxes
Faith & Fear

Future Pine Boxes
Immovable Object, Unstoppable Force

Resources:
Here's the main site! They post card previews and story bits. Plus you can get info running events.
http://www.alderac.com/doomtown

There's also a deckbuilding site.
http://dtdb.co/

Here's a podcast.
http://gomorragazette.com/

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tiny Chalupa posted:

It seems like it was almost all positive reviews from those at Gencon who tried it, but what are your thoughts on the game?
Does the game hold up 2 players as well at the 4 player lvl?

I'm excited for this game as I played the rpg for this game way back in high school and would like to revisit the game universe in some capacity.

I haven't gotten to play a lot of games, and no multiplayer yet, but I think the game feels like an improvement over the CCG, and I loved that game.

The game is barely out, but reports from GenCon indicate that Dudes & Deeds style decks, as well as ones that rely on a single stompy gunfighter, are what's currently dominating the game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The first saddlebag expansion, New Town, New Rules, will be out in November.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/08/22/gen-con-winning-deck-guest-article/

Winner of the GenCon tournament lists his deck and talks about being new to the game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Is there a limit to the number of deeds you can have in play?

Nope!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Did anyone ever play the awesome old mode that they published in a few magazines (I think Duelist/TopDeck/Inquest?)?

It used a giant map of the entire town and required you to move dudes around it physically while having deeds take up IRL spaces on the board. It was cool as hell and AEG should totally reprint that poo poo if they have it on a Hard Drive somewhere.

I never saw that, but it does sound neat.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Saddlebags will have complete playsets.

I'm super stoke for this game. I've already sold 2 people and my local stores owners on it.

Cool. Are you going to do the Badge events when those start up?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I can't loving wait! I carried a torch for the classic game after its death, and it's been a hell of a long wait for its return.

I hear that. When the mock up site accidentally went live early, revealing Doomtown Reloaded, I was over the moon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

exser posted:

From what I understand, there were more factions available in the original game. Have they said anything about bringing them over?

They've been very non-committal about it. They've indicated that *if* they do add more factions, they'll do so in the larger pinebox expansions. Personally, I'm sure we'll get a Sioux-esque faction, and likely one that trucks with a lot of Blessed, but the new focus of the game makes Agency, Maze Rats, and Texas Rangers unlikely. I'm also pretty sure that the Collegium has been fully folded into Morgan Cattle Company.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wonder if they are going to do Shamans as good guys again. The Coyote Confederation would be a cool faction to have in the game.

As far as the Whateleys... they met a rather bad end that's revealed in one of the Deadlands adventure books.

The remnants of the family are slowly turning into slug people.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

The metaplot in the splatbook The Black Circle had him gathering a large contingent of the family from the failed Ghost Creek disk wars game to support his 'rebellion.' Which book introduced the slug thing?

The Flood. Specifically the Night of the Caretaker part.

And I got it wrong, they're not slowly turning into slugs, Nicodemus made a bargain with Yog Sothoth for protection against Kang, and the result was them getting turned into slugs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Is there somewhere the fluff is collected?

There's a wiki, but it's kinda sparse.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

quote:

DOOMTOWN: RELOADED ECG:
EXPANSION 1 - NEW TOWN, NEW RULES
Even in a rough and tumble town like Gomorra someone has to run the place! As Morgan’s matriarch returns to town, two candidates step forward to vie for the mayor’s seat. Who will you support?
This expansion for Doomtown: Reloaded, the fast-paced, expandable card game (ECG) set in the Deadlands universe of gunslingin’, spell slingin’, and mud-slingin’,includes 84 cards and a story sheet.
Scheduled to ship in November 2014. AEG 5902 $14.99

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Don't throw your vote away, choose Bluetick.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Happy release day! Go get your copy!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/09/08/preludes-pine-box/

I had a mental image of Lillian Morgan, this was not it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Usually AEG is pretty smart about their art design on characters. A lot of the Scorpion chicks are dressed like whores because they whores. This was not the right call for this character. Implying that this chick got her money from being in a wealthy family and then seduced/married a rich man for more money is not a great call. I haven't read the fiction but hopefully she's going to be portrayed as a competent smart person as opposed to a gold digger that just seduces every problem she comes across.

The "Mina" being referred to in the bit of fluff is Mina Devlin, owner of the Black River rail company. Lillian was probably a member of her Wichita Witches rail gang at some point, before marrying Mr. Morgan.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Awesomely, Doomtown is flying off the shelves here, and my local FLGS wants to do the OP stuff. Hopefully AEG will have a solid release date soon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I had a really great couple of games the other day. I played the 4th Ring starter vs. the MCC starter that I had previously been using. 4th Ring feels like the weakest faction at the moment, due to needing spells and having no tutor for them, but I was able to pull of an incredible turn around victory by surprising my opponent with a 3 Stud Mongwa the Mighty after he had thought he'd wiped out enough influence to win the game.

I've been pondering Lilian Morgan, and I think she's a great K for MCC, but I'm wondering if her Huckster skill is a trap. Do you want spells in your Morgan deck? Will the first saddle bag have cards that make her viable as a spellcaster? Is she better in a 4th Ring deck?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

adhuin posted:

Probably not, because her upkeep is raised to 8, when in non-Morgan deck.

For some reason, I keep forgetting that it's per Influence and not just +1.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/doomtown-rules-faq/

Some clarifications and errata. I'm mostly surprised at Sloane not starting out Wanted.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/09/23/first-days-gomorra-managing-early-game/

If you're new to the game, this is a good article about managing the early game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That deck builder has some bugs.

Anyway, I've found that Morgan's dudes are pretty good candidates for Legendary Holsters. Remy LaPointe can rival Sloane herself in bullets, coming up short just by one, and Lane Healy on a horse with a Legendary Holster will also hit 5. You can't really mix this with Gadgets though, since the low pull requirements will not let you reach the target numbers necessary to bring them into play. But that's fine, since I don't think gadget decks are a working archtype yet.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gomorra's sweaty new mayoral candidate.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/10/01/ntnr-preview-wilbur-crowley/

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I think he'll be huge for giving Fourth Ring a viable starting posse. Right now every configuration seems subpar at best.

Yeah, plus it makes Huckster Morgan a bit more appealing.

Also,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tWRE8DHUc3nbrLQtmFiO_zBqst9Npyv0uaLsVLmEhfw/pubhtml

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

I'm playing mad science tonight. Wish me luck.

(Well I'm playing one mad scientist and one gadget, but still...)

Elander Boldman and auto cattle feeder?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

James Getty and Forcefield?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Closer, but wrong scientist. Need more synergy. And more jank.

Haha, are you making a Forcefield + Dr. Dawn Edwards combo deck?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Now we're cooking with gas!

This is going to be funny when you pull it off.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I had a really fun game against a LawDog deck. I wish I had taken notes, because the game came down to maneuvering and I am wracking my brain trying to remember how I managed to put my opponent in a position that allowed me to force him into some terrible gun fights. Slaughtering Dave Montreal with Pinned Down was also a highlight.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Didn't work.

What went wrong?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCY89H0MjgE

1:01 for the spoiler.

Wylie Jenks
Law Dog
Value: 8
Bullets: 2
Influence: 2
Cost: 8 Upkeep 1

Deputy
Wylie has +1 bullet for each wanted dude in the opposing posse.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Question: Does the 'Abomination' keyword hold any new abilities or benefits, or is it just a big flashing target like it used to be in the original CCG?

Nothing inherent, no.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.strangeassembly.com/2014/preview-faithful-hound-new-town-new-rules

Should be able to steal Legendary Holsters no problem, and Shotguns if you build for it.

Also, a deckbuilder!

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/10/06/announcing-doomtowndb-online-deckbuilder-site/

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 6, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Slifter posted:

The deck builder is a little clunky but its a good start. Also I'm really happy that they are giving shout outs to the community sites and OCTGN, another example of AEG doing it right.

My biggest complaint is that you can't mark Starting Dudes, making the draw simulator iffy.

Also, found this stellar art for a future unknown card.

Holy crap this game's art.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

New card preview.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/10/08/ntnr-preview-rd-ranch/

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

New Spoiler: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1250719/kyle-wagner-new-spoiler-gomorra-gazette

Seems like a good stay-at-home Mad Scientist.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Randalor posted:

Wait, doesn't kidnap work on people in the Home location? Because he played it on the person I just played and the person demoing didn't say a word. Ditto the shotgun (though that may have been on a 4- or less character anyways. The law dog with 1 stud bullet and increases the value of your hand if your opponent cheats). The other thing that bugged me was that the Law Dog home ability isn't that good against the Sloans when they want to be wanted, though I'm assuming that's more of a multiplayer mechanic.

Jobs can still target dudes at home. Shotgun too.

I agree that LawDogs need more cards that let them screw with Wanted characters right now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Some slightly shiny previews from Essen.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1253420/essen-previews

Plasma Drill is going to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

I got the second last Premium at Essen this afternoon. I am well pleased, even if it is over a quarter of my baggage weight allowance.

Nice! Were they selling the upcoming saddlebag there by chance?

• Locked thread