Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend and I tried the demo game (after finding a list and re-stacking the decks since the first thing I did after pulling off the wrapper was shuffling them). We enjoyed it, but were still fuzzy on what actions automatically boot a dude and which don't, particularly on moving. It's the one part of the game that we didn't find very intuitive, but it'll just take a few games before it "clicks", I'm sure.

The length of turns is very unfamiliar compared to basically any other card game. Each shootout felt like a whole turn in Magic. It's a war of attrition until no one has any plays left, and the end of the demo even showed that even if one player has no plays left, the other player can still have as many as three actions left.

I'm excited to play tonight with a group of guys who still bring out their old Doomtown decks once in a while.

One minor criticism: The game calls the victor of the opening lowball poker hand the "winner". This confused the hell out of my girlfriend when we were in a shootout and it said I got to do something first because I was "the winner". She thought it implied I was the winner of the shootout, but we hadn't done anything to determine a winner of that yet. They should have called the winner of that shootout literally anything else - if we're going with poker allusions, how about "the dealer"? That way you don't have the winner (of the lowball hand to determine who goes first) and the winner (of a particular shootout/action/whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey, this sucks: the decks that the learning walkthrough game has you play with aren't exactly the "starter" decks it tells you to build. So if you want to keep those learn-to-play decks intact but also build the Fourth Ring and Morgan Cattle Company decks, you're out of luck. I guess they wrote the walkthrough first and wrote up the starter decks later.

My hardcore gamer friend doesn't like the game that much, and I kind of see where he's coming from. He said "I like games where the cards break the rules, but this one feels like the game breaks its own rules." There's a lot of rules and a lot of exceptions to those rules, especially in regard to moving and joining posses. Hell, there's even a chart on the playmat board thing that tells you how to move dudes.

I still like the game a lot though and hope I can get at least a game in tonight.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I played 1v1 for many games last night, using a slightly modified Sloane deck against my friend's Law Dogs Dead Man's Hand deck. I did alright every time I could neutralize Wendy in the first shootout. The only downside is that I was too gun-shy to make it over to my opponent's deeds, making those money-siphoning abilities useless much of the time. I'd win through killing all his dudes.

Also, I could never, ever cheat, because he had way too many abilities to punish that. Thankfully I pulled legal full houses nearly every hand.

Deckbuilding seems like a bit of a headache with trying to balance suits and values. Do certain factions have different values they're "best" at, to help me wrap my head around deck design?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Doomtown is really a fantastic game. I've heard Fourth Ring is really dominating right now, but my friends and I aren't even looking to net deck or whatever. The mechanics are so much fun that I often don't realize that while two of us were busy blowing apart each others' dudes in a single turn's worth of shootouts, the other guy in the game is winning simply because his dudes are still alive.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Similarly, one of my favorite things to do is construct a deck so that I can start a faction leader. Because those guys are boss.

I've heard the term "Sloane Hexproof" thrown around and I'd like to give that a go, starting with Sloane. Hexproof is Magic slang for "I can target my guy, but you can't", which would negate all those nasty shootout abilities.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Election Day Slaughter (the card) looks sick. I could see the other players ganging up on you real fast though.

The mad scientists look intriguing, and I hadn't really been interested in them before. Morgan really likes red cards I guess?

How will Experienced dudes work, for anyone who played the original game?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've got a tournament tonight, which is exciting even though I haven't played in over a month. My playgroup is small, and the LGS hasn't gotten in Election Day Slaughter yet so none of us have those cards. I've got a 3-4-5 Sloane shootout-based deck that I built myself. I don't even know what I'll be up against since we've mostly been playing semi-modified starter decks.

Edit: Only had two players. Tough to organize these things. :(

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 12, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is there a concise summary of the plot of the original game somewhere? I've tried searching for it a few times, but since most of the discussion for the game was from fifteen years ago, it's a bit jumbled.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame this game doesn't get more attention, it's my favorite card game since Magic. Netrunner's fun, but I find the asymmetrical part a turn-off. Not to get into a Netrunner vs. Doomtown debate though since they're both well-designed games, but I don't know why Doomtown gets so much less notoriety than Netrunner. Especially since it doesn't yet cost $250+ to get into the game, unlike Netrunner. Even the r/doomtown sub-Reddit has little to no traffic.

We have a few people who play Doomtown at my LGS, but they're usually busy with other things on the days I can get there. We're starting to run a Sunday Doomtown get-together since my friend and I are tired of playing against each other. I have a Sloane deck that controls the town square and gets control points on all my dudes, and he's got a Dead Man's Hand Law Dogs deck. I love shootouts and shootout actions, and the deck I have right now can pull out a cheating or legal full house most of the time. Even though it's my first good deck, I might end up swapping all those actions into a Blessed Law Dogs deck, because The Lord Provides is so incredibly powerful. Tutor and recursion for action cards in one card? The idea of chaining Unprepareds on opposing dudes every shootout is something I just need to do.

PaybackJack posted:

I can't wait to see an oddities of nature deck that runs 4x Pagliaccio in its opening posse.

I proxied this up last night, starting four of them and a Smiling Tom. They let him go wherever he needed to go, so the swarm was fun. It was hard to maintain a cash flow though because a lot of the abominations are quite expensive.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I feel as though a lot of strategies, especially ones that aren't 3x16, are hampered by the small card pool. But I'm not exactly looking forward to a year down the line when it costs people even more to get into the game, i.e. the expense it takes to get into other LCGs that have dozens of expansions.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So now that Faith and Fear has been out for awhile, has anyone found a fun deck?

I was just coming in here to ask a similar question: Does anyone have a fun Morgan deck, especially focusing on gadgets? Though a horse deck would be fun too. I love shootouts so much that my brain breaks every time I try to build a non-Sloane deck.

As far as Faith and Fear, I think Miracles need at least another expansion pack to be really good. Abram Grothe with Evanor is really good, but it feels like a one-trick pony and really vulnerable to Pistol Whip or Unprepared.

PaybackJack posted:

I have messed around with the new Sloane and it's fun but not great in multiplayer because you can't just dominate the board with your jobs as you can in 1v1. I really do like the new Sloane though, It's quite a good box and actually maybe better than the first one amazingly enough.

The new Sloane hideout with The Fixer is great in multiplayer. We played three games, and the outfit got him tons of money.

I love the variety in Doomtown decks. In our four player game, we had three Sloane decks because it just happened to be the people who showed up to our first Doomtown event. One was Huckster, one was Jobs, and mine is Aggro. I netdecked a Fourth Ring hex deck a half hour before the event because I wanted to have two decks to play in case we had to teach a new player and had to give them a deck, but it feels like old-school Magic: there is no metagame because no one's posting top 8 decklists for tournaments anywhere. Occasionally someone will post their winning list on DoomtownDB, but it's rare.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
All the Grifters are backup blessed/mad scientist/huckster for your starting posse as well, in case you're worried about first turn Kidnappings.

Also, you get four more Unprepareds with this pack thanks to a minor errata.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So it seems like Desolation Row is absolutely tearing up the metagame right now. None of the decks are running The Fixer, but I really like the card. I also like the original Sloane outfit for the +1GR start and ability to give my dudes control points. So what if I lose 2GR on my first turn because I have to pay for The Fixer? I'm usually building up control points on my dudes in the first turn while killing their most important guy(s) because I'm getting a Kidnappin' most of the time. I think my deck - and I can't really provide a decklist right now because I'm constantly tweaking it - is like the Sloane version of this Law Dogs deck that does the same thing: try to bully the opponent's best dudes into being discarded or aced to try and win on the first turn.

I really want to like other factions, but I haven't liked playing any other decks I've built. I tried this Morgan deck today and constantly had no income, and felt useless without any relevant actions in my hand ever.

From tournament reports I've read and winning decklists I've seen, the metagame right now is:

Tier S: Sloane Desolation Row
Tier 1: Law Dogs Deputies
Tier 2: Fourth Ring Hexes

This is for one-on-one though. No one talks about multiplayer anywhere, so all I have to go off of is my playgroup. Law Dogs seem to shine in multiplayer more, because they often profit off of Philip Swinford in lowball and tend to have a lot of cheatin' punishment they can use to influence shootouts they're not even a part of.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The full set is out! With Max Baine, it looks like a 10s and up deck might be worth building. It has built in protection from Shotguns, and the high values could be good with inventin' and spell castin'.

I'm also interested in clubless decks. There's a lot of powerful-looking effects, but I don't know how not running four of a suit would hurt draw structure.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Somebody's dropping the ball at Alderac, because there's almost zero community or hype for this out in the world. This is a good game. Played the old version in the 90s and this is far better and I really enjoy it.

I've said it before: It's crazy how unpopular it is when it has so much going for it, like the poker theme, or how cheap it is when there's deals all the time and there are relatively few expansions compared to other LCGs, or how it moves seamlessly from 1v1 to multiplayer. I love Netrunner, but I'm going to need to spend $150+ to get all the expansions I'm missing. Meanwhile like every other day you can get every Doomtown set printed and two of the core sets for $100 on MassDrop or some other site. I don't feel like this is true the rest of the world, but there are less people who play Netrunner here than Doomtown - but that's only because Doomtown has like five players and Netrunner has one or two, and that only happened because we had some guys who used to play Doomtown Classic well past its cancellation.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Very interesting anti-metagame dudes! I wish Nathan Shane had more bullets for his ability, as-is you have to get lucky to hit an action card.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
When it says "this miracle's skill check" does it mean 9, or say if you pull a 10, then it's 10? Or does it say that because some cards may increase the skill check?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'll never build a Judge deck because they take up literally every action in the game and don't let you build another deck. Unless you're like some weird Clubless Morgan Gadget deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The spoilers for most (all?) of the cards from the faction pack are in the Facebook group, but I don't have the time to load them up on imgur and post them here. There's lots of things that are going to shake up the meta, in fact it looks like these factions are specifically designed to counter many current strategies. Lots of free movement, anti-huckster/pulls, Kung Fu itself adds to a dude's value which makes them less susceptible to Shotguns and some hexes, and so on.

Also, tournaments at GenCon are going to decide which characters die in the story:

quote:

Gomorra is a deadly place – people die – and this year at GenCon 8 people will die. 4 dudes from each outfit and an allied drifter will be put on the block each tournament. At the end of each event, the character with the most votes for death will die. At the end of the fifth and final event 4 more dudes will die. We will be covering the voting closely, and are excited to be the source to reveal to you the list of names!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

So the new factions are shipping, thoughts?

I can't wait. I don't know what the poo poo to do with the old factions anymore, so much so that I didn't even take the last set out of the box except to fan through the cards. Building a deck is really overwhelming with all the options available and keeping the draw structure in mind. I keep looking through cards and knowing what I want to put in the deck, but if I play what I want then I'll never win a shootout. So I'm looking forward to a fresh start with a new faction, who, since the card pool for them is so small, the deck will kind of shape itself.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Figuring out starting dudes for Eagle Wardens is rough. You don't have enough money to do both the high-influence route AND the shaman-route, so you gotta pick one of their themes and go with it. Meanwhile, I think the Bandits have the A-2-3 kung fu strategy that almost builds itself.

Am I the only one who refuses, perhaps stubbornly, to play out-of-faction dudes? I keep seeing deck lists where half the dudes are from Fourth Ring, and I discard it as an idea I'm never going to try. Maybe it's a necessary evil when the new factions are sort of limited in their dudes and values, but I even see it somewhat in original factions. Just goes against the spirit of the thing in my opinion. Plus I know I'll forget the extra upkeep.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

It's good but anything running low values should probably use Kidnappin' instead. Due to how the end of turn effects work, their dude will be discarded after the victory check, meaning that they could still move their dude and potentially take control of a deed before they get discarded and since your posse is now booted at home, that could be something you can't do anything about.

This is really frustrating and unintuitive. Like with the Sloane outfit ability where your dude gets a control point - why can't that win me the game that turn? Any player would think that unless they were totally familiar with the rules. Would the victory check being the last thing that happens in a turn instead of the first thing that happens at sundown really break the game?

Also:

Undertaker's looking really good with this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How many faction homes have been previewed?

Just Sloane and 5R so far.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gently caress that's out of Dirty Deeds? Goddamn it. That is trash.

The only good thing to come of it is the (before victory is checked) reminder text that should be on all cards with Sundown influence/control modifiers if they want the game to work that way for whatever reason. If there's a clubless deck that ever works, this is a good card though. A non-unique 2 CP deed where if an opponent controls it, there's like a 50% chance they'll end up accidentally destroying it and not stealing your CP.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The game is basically dead at my LGS, the guy running Doomtown days hasn't even shown up at the last two events due to other obligations, and they're only once a month. So it's basically only been two of us. I haven't really had time to brainstorm decks, so I'm just netdecking whatever looks good and fun. It's still a lot of fun when I do get a chance to play it though. Foul Play looks great. I'm going to try to include Outgunned in some high-shootin' decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Doomtown is dead again, it seems. AEG is giving back the rights to Pinnacle Entertainment Group, who doesn't have plans to continue the game after the October 10t release of Blood Moon Rising. I stopped playing the game because theorycrafting on decks was too much work, the templating and rules problems were giving my Magic-judge brain a headache, and the crowd around here wasn't that great. But I'm still sad to see the game go. I might buy all the sets I'm missing now that the game is done and I don't need to worry about keeping up with monthly releases.

• Locked thread