Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Great to see a thread for this, I got out of Netrunner two months back and this game was one reason. I harassed the local shop to order a premium set from a U.S. distributor, I have to buy the other 6 core sets but that's not too big a deal because we seem to have enough interest that I shouldn't be sitting on them for very long. When I moved to Taiwan a Law Dogs deck and a Maze Rats deck were the only cards I brought with me. I didn't get into this game until a year after it died, but I managed to amass a decent collection from ebay and had quite a bit of stuff. One of my later purchases when I first got back on my feet financially was getting Rachael's Gang from a seller in the U.K. It was an outfit I always wanted to play with because it's just so cool. I was a big fan of the bicycle deck system because I felt like Cheatin' added a bit too much consistency into the game, the current deeds and dudes archetype is almost exactly what I hated in the old game. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how the current game shakes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Themeatically there is definitely room for an Agency/Rangers/Government faction to appear. I agree the Sioux are pretty likely to come around as well. The Collegium doesn't really add a lot on top of the existing Morgan since they're playing with gadgets, and the Maze Rats were never mechanically that much different from the other factions. The only reason I could see the Agency coming into is to introduce a 6th group(5th being Sioux) that adds some global effects(Laws?) and that would help make multiplayer more interesting as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Usually AEG is pretty smart about their art design on characters. A lot of the Scorpion chicks are dressed like whores because they whores. This was not the right call for this character. Implying that this chick got her money from being in a wealthy family and then seduced/married a rich man for more money is not a great call. I haven't read the fiction but hopefully she's going to be portrayed as a competent smart person as opposed to a gold digger that just seduces every problem she comes across.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I guess its good to know that being a gold digging seductive witch is part of her history? Thanks for the story lesson anyway.

I got my 6+1 premium on the boat; unfortunately getting them on the boat was almost as expensive as just getting them. Only well, I probably won't do business with that distributor again. Sometime next week I'll have to form a posse and play a few games.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Since I started with L5R and picked up Doomtown after I felt like the rules were SO much simpler. Each guy has one, maybe 2 abilities. Harrowed was like the only keyword that actually did something on its own; and is now. I liked that because it meant that there was less to keep track of on individual cards and place the emphasis more on cards in hand and movement around the board.

Game isn't for everyone but after a playing a couple times a few nights back I'm more optimistic about it than I was before. The only real negative I found was that a lot of the luck came with being able to punish a cheatin hand at the right time. This is obviously something that deckbuilding can help with but I just see the same problem still existing when you're playing the "deeds and dudes" deck that consistently pulls flushes. It's very counter intuitive not to do things like have a single heart in your deck and I see that being a big sticking point for my players when they learn to deck build.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Do Outfits count as Deeds for purposes of blocking production or action cards like Extortion? I'm imagining not but want to make certain.

No, and under the old rules I don't even remember if your outfit even counted as a card, not sure about now.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Radish posted:

Quick rules question. I know you have to pay additional ghost rock for dudes with different affiliations than your faction card equal to their influence in the upkeep page. Do neutral characters count as a "different" affiliation thus requiring the extra payment or not? I can't seem to find a solid answer in the rule book but I may just be missing it.

No. Neutral dudes have no affiliation.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

omnibobb posted:

I finally got my hand on a core set and I was wondering how everyone stores their cards?

I prefer putting my LCGs in 9 card pages for organization. I was wondering how people found it working of organizing just by number or by organizing by suit.

Also do we have a date for New Town, New Rules?

Suit then Rank in a 9 page binder.

CSI has a date of Nov. 24th for NT:NR

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Zombie #246 posted:

How many cores do you need for deckbuilding?

Two. You're not *very* gimped by only having one. If you're building Sloane I think you could probably make a competitive deck with just a single core, maybe Morgan as well.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This is the deck I'm playing. Just got in NTNR. This is my first built deck with DTR, we've mostly been using the prebuilts. DoomtownDB is having issues which is why it's not linked.

Morgan Lucky 7s, 8s,9s Deck

Morgan Cattle Co.

Starting with 1 wealth, 2 income and 5 influence
52 cards with printed value (required 52)
Cards up to New Town, New Rules

♠ Spades (* starting posse) (15)
1x A Irving Patterson
1x 2 Kyle Wagner
2x 7 James Ghetty
2x 7 Androcles Brocklehurst
1x 8 Jon Longstride
3x 8 Steven Wiles
4x 9 Jarrett Blake
1x J Rémy Lapointe

♣ Clubs (12)
1x 7 Kidnappin'
3x 7 Pinned Down
4x 8 Rumors
4x 9 Cheatin' Varmint

♦ Diamonds (14)
4x 6 The R&D Ranch
3x 7 Blake Ranch
1x 7 Cattle Market
4x 8 Circle M Ranch
2x Q The Pharmacy

♥ Hearts (11)
4x 7 Pinto
4x 8 Flame-Thrower
3x 9 Mechanical Horse

Joker x2

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

That's a great card. More card draw is always good, and a reusable punishment for Cheatin.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

Deckbuilding seems like a bit of a headache with trying to balance suits and values. Do certain factions have different values they're "best" at, to help me wrap my head around deck design?

Sort of, although it's mostly due to the distribution of diamonds. I find the Law Dogs work well with A-4, Sloane with 4-7, Morgan with 7-10 and 4th Ring with 10-K. I'm not saying that's how you have to build things but as I built my decks that's how things fell into place. If you go Morgan Gadgets for example you'll find yourself probably settling into a 7-9 scheme because that's where all the good gadgets are. I build for full houses so I like to keep to a 3 numbers with a few cards falling outside those numbers if they're powerful enough to justify inclusion. Unprepared & Pistol Whip are two such cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This is mk I of my new Law Dogs deck.

http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/345/law-dogs-flush-deck

It's the tried and true "make half your deck actions and pull easy flushes" formula. Right now I've got the value spread out because I want to avoid cheating, but I'll probably narrow the whole thing down to about a range of 7 values.

I just built almost the same thing except I went even more balls to the wall with the flush theme. I'm only running 13 non Club cards and 4 of them are starting dudes, the others are:

2x Pair o'six Shooters
2x Peacemaker
2x Bluetick
4x Steven Wiles

My starting lineup is:

Olivia Jenks (3 cost, 1 Upkeep)
Philip Swinford (3 cost, 0 Upkeep)
Clyde Owens (7 cost, 2 Upkeep)
Travis Moone (2 Cost, 0 Upkeep)

The point of the deck is to hyper aggressive on the first turn, drat all the rest. Clyde Owen is the only character that can innately call someone out at home and with the Law Dog's outfit ability he'll have a target. I'm running every cheating punishment card I can in the club side basically and essentially daring my opponent to try it. I have enough upkeep to cover my costs and enough starting cash to lose lowball for a few turns. A lot of decks will have hands that will take a few turns to get rolling and I'm looking to capitalize on that. I've got Kidnapping and Ambush in the deck as well to help force them into conflict. Basically since I have no control points and recurring income I'm banking on killing their wanted dudes and using a variety of club based income to support myself as I lose lowball hands. With a 1/4 ratio of non-clubs to clubs, both Olivia and Travis are free to fight on their own with a high chance of drawing a flush, and I'm not worried about enemy studs with all the minus bullet stuff I'm running. Drawing a 'Hiding in Shadows' on the first turn ensures that Clyde Owen is not going anywhere in a shootout.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I like how making a flamethrower, or auto-revolver, is somehow more comlex than making an automaton.

That's a darn interesting card though. Slots very well into existing Morgan Gadget Decks though it's off numbered the difficulty itself should mean you can get them out pretty easily off Elander Boldman.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Went 3-1 with my Law Dogs flush deck. I need to adjust the Dudes, Deeds and Goods, but I really like it so far.

What did you run against? I got destroyed in a game by 4 ring. He pulled 2 legit fullhouses off against me then sacrificed his spell to raise by two more in one game. It was brutal. It didn't help the first spell he dropped was Forget. That almost completely shut down my ability to call him out from home. Long story short; I don't think there's enough cheating punishment to make a legal flush deck work IMO.

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I just found out about this game and am totally going to buy into it. I'm just sad I can't get the premium set any more ):

I'm bringing my cards down with me for the Star Wars event. Will be there on Saturday night but after the Netrunner should be finished up(9/10pm). If you're out or its done we can get a game in.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 16, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I can't wait to see an oddities of nature deck that runs 4x Pagliaccio in its opening posse.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Another great starter for 4R.

So here's a question for people out there. My distributor in the states is listing Doomtown Event Kit #2 and #3 as both arriving this month. Is AEG double shipping them or is that an error? Anyone else heard anything like that?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Sheriff event information has been posted on the AEG page. Big take away is wooden cards for the Faith and Fear homes. Sounds like its essentially Kotei season for Doomtown.

Link

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 14, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Being able to callout in a home is a huge deal. That is a very good home.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

While I still think mulligans should have been a separate thing from being tied to a grifter ability, that's a great example of how the grifter ability should be. Sloane can definitely afford him to start with the number of cheap guys they have. Not really a good replacement for Steven Wiles as an 8 won't kill your pull values and has much better cards in value that A does, however she's definitely cheap enough that as an addition to Wiles or someone that buys you a sundown, she's awesome. The 4 draw is not pretty specific that it's not going to win you shootouts but you could lose her and use some cards that ace people with lower bullet ratings which is something we haven't seen a lot of use for given that it's kind of a pain to raise a bullet rating and comparatively easy to lower them.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Father Wendigo posted:

When I said a second Steven Wiles, I'm talking about someone that plays like 'The Drifter' from the old game - a very nasty card with low recruit cost and high upkeep that serves as a very painful surprise whenever it shows up and leaves in a round or so. That it's the Ace to Steve's 8 is just gravy for pure aggression/no spells deck.

I wasn't arguing with you. I agree that she's an inferior version of a great card that we can run along side Steven but not necessarily as a replacement for unless you aren't running 8s.

Something that I didn't immediately notice, because I never build for, is that we now have a really great A♠ for a Deadman's Hand deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Sloane outfit #2 is awesome. Not booting your dude for it is probably too good. Can't wait to play it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I would have been happy with a 4/5 cost and no upkeep. I want more starting options and the design team seems to think that giving a character influence means they have to have an upkeep. It's a lovely holdover from the old game and I hope they can get off it. Even if they print a bunch of 1inf guys and people start the game with 4-6 influence that's not the end of the world. Right not Jake Smiley is going in all my decks because a 2 cost guy that can sit at home and do nothing but provide 2 influence to not losing me the game at nightfall is excellent. Because this is a Morgan card, running a deck with 2 upkeep to start is more workable than other factions but it's still not ideal. She is a great card though and she'll slot well into my current Morgan horse deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Faith and Fear fully spoiled by a guy on the FB group who's store broke the street date apparently. Big huballoo about spoilers vs leaks and AEG closing and locking theads on their forums that talk about the cards not yet previewed. Seems stupid on their part to me, these things happen you just gotta roll with it rather than trying to contain it.

That said I'll spoiler the biggest story thing in the cards, which is pretty cool for people who played Classic

Nicodemus Whateley returns and is the new Mayor.

Whateley Estate - King of Diamonds, 4 Cost, 2 Control Points, No Income, "Dudes not controlled by this Deed's owner must boot after moving here. Controller Noon, Boot: Put a non-dude card from Boot Hill into your discard pile."(Recycle Jokers!!!)

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 1, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

In order to avoid being banned in the FB chat thread, I made a BGG thread and linked it back there with the spoiler images.

He definitely looks like a real card to me, incidentally a pretty drat good card.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Morgan Gadgetorium looks like the kind of card that started out intending to do one specific thing, and then got overcorrected when it was deemed to powerful.

It's a neat ability, and I look forward to trying out decks with it, but that +2 drawback does more to limit the selection of gadgets than actually enable it.

I don't think it limits them too much, the only thing I think it really hurts is Flamethrower. Splashing in Quaterman and running nothing but 7s or better outside that, and starting Kyle and using him for the ability doesn't really restrict you from hitting on everything outside of Flamethrower. I mean that sucks because Flamethrower is a great card, but it's not like Forcefield is a bad card.

I do think you're right that it was a card that they wanted to make it more versatile and adding the +2 was unnecessary. A deck that wants to run it will build around that and all it really does is restrict what you can run in that deck for no reason. Even without the +2 I don't see the ability really being all that powerful compared to other outfits that are out there.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 3, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It doesn't help that it's competing with the best home ability.

At least they knocked it out of the park for Sloane.

Hmm, I actually think The Sloane Gang has the best home ability but their new one is very good too. I think anytime an outfit can give you influence or control points that's top tier. Morgan had a good home that people are learning to get around, I remember people hated 4R when it first came out but now people see how good spells are and how nice it is to be able to cycle cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've been kinda gripey about this. I don't much care for it, as it comes across as total fanwank.

Fan-wank is what AEG is based on though. I don't care for it when it bleeds into card balance but unfortunately that's what happens sometimes. While it would be cool if there were completely new characters all through Reloaded, the hardcores that are coming back from the old game want that continuation and unfortunately this game hasn't caught fire enough that it's going to be dictated by anything other than the hardcores.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't mind characters coming back, I mind it when returning characters come back after pulling off stupid poo poo that puts them dead center in the storyline. Especially when people know the poo poo he's responsible for.

I got into Doomtown after the game had officially ended and never cared about the storyline. I just recognize the character from being of 3 different cards in my Whateley collection. What's his story?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, Doomtown is also a lot newer. I don't think Netrunner was a massive hit when it first came out.

I also feel like there's a lot more variance and unpredictability in Doomtown, which is fine but does make me a little less invested in the overall experience. I understand that I'm probably not playing the game at as deep of a level as intended, but I'm not sure how it could be too much different.

The thing with the variance is that it's very much controllable when it happens unlike in Netrunner. In Netrunner you install ICE on R&D, on the Runner's turn they run, get past your ICE and hit on an Agenda and you basically "Well I did the best I could."

In Doomtown going into a shootout where you have a marginal to significant advantage is almost always optional. You really gotta play the long game and make those moments count because your window for winning the game are actually fewer and much farther between. If you want some good players play a non-shootout deck you'll get a better feel for how "not random" the game is. Then when you watch those same players become extremely aggressive with chumps and throw away guys you'll see how much of an element being able to bluff cards really is. Number one problem of new players is over aggression and number 2 problem is a lack of awareness about the risk/reward ratio in a shootout really is. These are things that are easy to see in Netrunner because you have standard odds and agendas rarely have a utility value for the Runner beyond advancing the win condition.

Also A:Netrunner was HUGELY popular when it first hit the market. It was super hyped after Gencon and they had a lot of issues, maybe not as bad as Conquest recently was, in getting product to people. I remember though so many players grabbed it up there was serious concern about player communities dropping it when that first Datapack didn't show up for two months. It sold really loving well though and put FFG on the map in terms of being a serious contender in the non-MTG card game arena. I mean if you're talking about old school Netrunner, it had a cult following but I'd say probably less than old school Doomtown.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Deviant posted:

So I recently caught up and bought my 2nd core and all the packs.

...and I don't know the first thing about deckbuilding. I guess the ranks and values matter for combat/lowball in addition to what the cards actually do?

Most common deck structure is what people call 3x16. This means that you run 3 values(3), with 4 of each suit at that value(4suitsx4card max=16). Obviously this means that you're probably going to be cheating but you'll consistently draw 4 of a kinds and full houses in shootouts even without studs. Obviously 3x16 is not 52 cards but the other 4 of them usually form your starting posse. Note that these values are not absolute you can run fewer. I myself usually run somethng like 2x16+1x12+3+5 starting dudes.

You'll hear some people suggest flush builds but the problem with those is that you need a large variety of cards from a single suit that are all good and worth running, and in doing so you'll lock yourself out of the other suits for the most part. The other problem with flush decks is that your cards are going to need to be 50% anti-cheating cards to punish the 3x16 players when they want to full house or 4oaK you not drawing into cheating punishment means that you're going to be losing a lot of shootouts so you have to pick your spots and make them hurt. If they're playing a lot of disposable dudes then this can be a serious problem.

Straights and under aren't worth talking about and there aren't enough good values across a single suit to give you a decent Straight Flush deck and even if there were it would still be under the same problems as a normal flush deck. In time the card pool will expand and this deck could be possible but it's still fragile in my mind.

Build for 3x16 or 3x12 and modify from there as you like. 3x16 will be the most consistent but you might want to use my array. It works well if you're trying to build for spells or gadgets. choose high values for your 2x16 and a consistent value for your pull difficulties for your 1x12 then another set that doesn't fit but is a powerful card.

For example in my 4R deck at the moment I'm running

♠ Spades (* starting posse) (17)
1x A Jake Smiley
1x 2 Micah Ryse
1x 3 Mongwau the Mighty
1x 4 The Brute
1x 5 Travis Moone
1x 8 The Ghostly Gun
3x 8 Steven Wiles
2x J Kevin Wainwright
2x J Tyxarglenak
2x Q Jia Mein
2x Q Smiling Tom

♣ Clubs (11)
4x 8 Rumors
3x 10 Unprepared
4x Q It's Not What You Know...

♦ Diamonds (11)
2x 8 Circle M Ranch
2x 8 Pat's Perch
2x 10 Carter's Bounties
1x 10 Baird's Build and Loan
2x Q General Store
2x Q The Pharmacy

♥ Hearts (13)
3x 7 Fetch
4x 8 Paralysis Mark
2x 10 Shadow Walk
4x Q Blood Curse

Jokers (2)
1x Joker (red)
1x Joker (black)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Journey Fraternity posted:

I was wondering if you meant FFG due to the block-picking but yeah the destiny mechanic from Decipher is extremely similar.

Destiny was quite a bit similar in that you needed to run some kind of random cards in order to get decent destiny draws and immunity to attrition <3 was death to people that didn't understand the game and destiny system because their decks were inevitably full of mains which had terrible destiny. It was an interesting way to run the game.

I didn't really mention DMH because it to me is something that as you mentioned, either becomes the total focus and there aren't enough ways to thin your deck, or it just gets added on top of whatever else you're doing fairly easily. If you're already doing 8s and something else for 32, and aren't sure where to go after that you can easily slot in another 12 for A♠, A♣ and J♦ to make it DMH without losing too much of your core theme.

Basically I think as long as you have 2x16 you can put whatever you want on top of that and just be aware of what is in your deck at all times and you'll be ok. When you try to play, if possible keep one value in your deck more than the other. so you have some flexibility when it comes to trying to dodge having a cheatin' hand. Most of the time I'll take a legal full house over a cheatin' 4 of a kind because almost every deck should and does pack cheatin punishment.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

You can ignore draw structure and building your deck around avoiding shootouts also, but this was more popular in the old game and they've really taken steps to curtail non-interactive decks like that.

I'm building a 4R Ring right now that uses a combination of Puppet, Paralysis Mark, the new Phantasm to lock down their guys, and play a bunch of control point deeds to win. It avoids shooutouts for the most part and just tries to outmaneuever everyone else. I'm starting 3 Hucksters now but I'm thinking that I should just run 1 + Smiling Tom and really commit to the strategy. I'm only partially dipping my toe in that water and I think a deck built around the three Ps would be very brutal. Phantasm is easily my favorite card from F&F.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 11, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

We've had new players the last three weeks so I haven't really had a good chance to test my 4Rs3Ps deck but now that I think about it that probably isn't going to be a very fun deck unless you were like me and denial/control are your wheelhouse.

I have messed around with the new Sloane and it's fun but not great in multiplayer because you can't just dominate the board with your jobs as you can in 1v1. I really do like the new Sloane though, It's quite a good box and actually maybe better than the first one amazingly enough.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

The new Sloane hideout with The Fixer is great in multiplayer. We played three games, and the outfit got him tons of money.

Since the job takes place in the middle of town and is easily accessible by the other players, letting the Sloane gang for his posse of himself then having him be opposed by everyone else at the table is how our situations have went down after the first job goes off. Once people had some guys in town they could toss into the shootout to oppose the job he was kind of dead in the water as far as jobs went.

There were two rules that really hurt him in the multiplayer situation, one is that jumping into other people's shootouts with scrubs to help them out is pretty risk free and second being able to hit people with cheatin' cards despite not being in the shootout.

Also there hasn't really been a major tournament organzied where we got to see a whole entire field of meta. I haven't even seen people talk about tournaments that had more than 10 people. Gencon will probably bring in some ideas of what is currently the top tier. The facebook group, which is probably the largest community out there still doesn't really have a very good differentiation between what is a tournament worthy deck and what isn't because so many groups are casual and post garbage decks that win because nobody in the group can play enough games to figure out the meta.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I was thinking about finally trying Doomtown, because I heard some good things about its Multiplayer. How does the game fare for around 3 people? Is it possible to play with three out of the box, or would you need a second core?

signalnoise posted:

I'm also curious. If I wanted to play with my wife would we both need a set?

You can get two decks out of a single core, more than that and you'd need a second. There are 4 deck lists in the rules that you can build out of a single core but they're not very well balanced in my opinion.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Thanks. So if I did want to put together enough for three reasonably balanced decks I'd need 2 cores and what else? Are any of the current expansions considered musts?

I'd actually pick up Faith and Fear last even though that contains more cards.

Any of the three expansions are good to get if you're just building casual decks without and faction preference.

Although Jonas doesn't recommend New Town, New Rules. If you wanted to build a spell deck or gadget deck regardless of faction that has the two neutral drifters that you'd either want to start or include to give you more 0 upkeep options out of the gate. It also has Paralysis Mark & Forget which are staple cards in Hex decks.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 21, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

nyxnyxnyx posted:

My Doomtown stuff just came in and I'd like to dive right into competitive decks. Anyone have any recommendations as far as decklists go? Would appreciate a good baseline for me to tweak with down the line. I don't have FnF yet but it's okay to include cards from it too.

The Doomtown DB is the best place to start

It's kind of hard to give a recommendation without also giving a deck type. I'd say that spells are still highly competitive but Agro Sloane can be a great counter to that. Faith and Fear just came out and we're still finding our feet with it in our group.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I've looked at DTDB but as you've mentioned previously it's quite a mess due to how new the game is. What would you say a typical 4R Hexes / Aggro Sloane / MCC / Law Dogs deck looks like? I see a London Deputy event MCC list that looks decent, would that work as a baseline for MCC?

I would probably go with something a bit more adjusted to specific values than that London winning deck. His values are all over the place and he's relying on being able to punish other people for cheating and generally avoid shootouts, while dropping a ton of deeds on the board that his opponent can't answer. Sounds easy when I say it but your natural inclination in a deck like that might be to not let early deeds be controlled by other players while you're still flooding the board with them. That is a deck that doesn't mind playing coach whip as punishment during lowball in order to prevent it's opponent from being able to contest control.

Here is a solid 4th ring,
Try this Morgan
Maybe this Sloane

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Some other rules questions:

1.How does Sun in your Eyes interact with Pearl-Handled Revolver?

2. If I lose by 3 ranks and my dude has been targeted by Pin Down, can I discard him and ace something else or am I forced to ace him and discard something else? Or am I always free to choose as long as it dies somehow?

3. Can you lead a job while booted?

4. Can you Cheatin' Resolution when only you cheated?

5. What's the order for revealing draw hands? Call-outer first? How about the order for discarding and redrawing, who goes first?

6. How does Sun in your Eyes / Blood Curse work with Takin' ya with Me?

7. If a 0-influence dude I control is given temporary influence, say through Yan Li's, is he able to block income for the opponent's deed?

8.I think that Recruitment Drive is bonkers against defensive dudes&deeds decks and Bounty Hunter is crazy good for Law Dogs? Or that

9.Steven Wiles is almost an auto include for any deck with 8 as a value?

10. Or that Bards Build and Loan and General Store are great deeds?

11. Is it normal for most decks to have ~15 deeds at least? I like deeds and would love to play more in whatever deck I end up playing.

12. Lastly, is One Good Turn really good?

1. Sun in your eyes on a dude with a Pearl-Handled Revolver will turn him into a draw until the effect from SIYE is gone at the end of the shootout. While cards grant continuous effects those effects are not in constant effect and may be overridden by temporary effects. I think basically you look at all the effects on a card in the order they were first applied.

2. You choose all the people you want to take for casualties then choose how each of them will cover the casualties as long as you have covered all the casualties. Example: you have 3 people and must cover 4 casualties and one of them has been pinned down, you can choose to cover casualties with all 3 people, the pinned down guy is discarded first to cover 1, the next guy is also discarded to cover 1 and the last guy is aced to cover two.

3. No, starting a job requires an unbooted guy to be the leader even if the job does not boot them.

4. You may only play cheatin' resolution cards on your opponents reveals.

5. Both of these are simultaneous.

6. This is a weird one that didn't make sense to me but does within the context of how it's worded. Those casualties are now in the discard pile or aced and have lost card memory so Takin' Yah With Me uses your dude's printed bullet rating.

7. Not income but you will have control for the check victory step of Sundown.

8. Recruitment drive and Jobs in general are a key part of agro decks, Ambush and Kidnapping are crucial in going after your opponents key dudes right from the start. Against 4R with an agro Sloane you almost certainly want to drop one of those asap to take out whatever huckster they're built around. Against Gadget decks you can hit them with a job right after they invent a gagdet that they plan to move onto another dude.

9.Steven Wiles is almost an auto include for any deck that doesn't mind having an 8 as a pull. He's an excellent dude to come out and just stop you from losing the game or go take back control of a deed, or even start a shootout after you know your opponent has blown through all their shootout punishment. A pair of him can fit into just about any deck and will be great in that deck.

10. These are both great it just depends on the values that you're running. As previously mentioned I'm a big fan of 2x16 or 3x12 in a deeds and dudes deck. That gives you a lot of flexibility and a solid core of cards to rely on. Both of these cards are great though and good additions to whatever you're running; just remember you have to defend them.

12. I typically run about 10-12 deeds. If you're going for deeds and dudes then yeah 15+ is a good number. Morgan will usually run more simply because they can field more with their ability. Everyone else might restrict themselves to 10-12 depending on deck style. An typical deck will be short on hearts but not want too many dudes either so that means you either invest in more deeds or more action cards. Most people will choose action cards here as once your deck starts to thin from playing deeds you'll want to have a hand of action cards or dudes rather than a hand full of deeds. Once there are 5-6 deeds on the board the game should be heating up to a level where having more action cards is going to be preferable to more deeds. Unless your opponent has a very limited supply of dudes in which case it might be overkill anyway.

11. One Good Turn is great if your opponent is cheating and cyclable if they're not. Now late game that 3 GR might not mean a whole lot but really the value of OGT is lowball where your opponent has the least amount of control over whether he can cheat of not. I love the combination of OGT+Drew Beauman as that allows me to always have the cash I need to invent something right then and there without booting.

• Locked thread