Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Recent News Tidbit: N/A

oh god the OP is so out of date help

See also: Nintendo Network ID thread / Amiibo Thread / 3DS Thread
And check out the eShop Thread because this guy is super good at keeping up-to-date with both the NA and PAL eShops.

This Post Contains: Ongoing Deals, Games
The Second Post Contains: Extended Information on Games
The Third Post Contains: Other Nonsense
If I'm not updating this thread or some details are wildly out of date for some other reason, PM the heck out of me!

For all your consumer needs, the Ongoing Deals section is right here at the tippy-top of the OP. Here, you'll find various deals, like the cheapest bundles, price drops of recommended games on the eShop, and whatever promotions are going on at the time.

(The right SKU for you - and other hardware selections.)
Last updated: April 11th, 2015

[NA] The Refurbished Wii U - $200
This is just about the cheapest way to get yourself a Wii U that's reliable and comes with a warranty (but it's only in North America, unfortunately). Nintendo's refurbished systems are good-as-new, and they come with Nintendoland. While this set lacks the charging dock and Gamepad stand that comes with most bundles, the dock can be purchased cheap elsewhere. Even though the site description says that you cannot get Club Nintendo coins from registering your Wii U, there's a chance that you actually might, though this is entirely dependent on whether or not the previous owner registered their system. It's not always in supply, however, so the wait can be a little variable.

[NA] The Refurbished Wii U + Super Mario 3D World - $225
An even better deal than the above refurbished unit, with Super Mario 3D World stacked on top for less than half its retail price.

[UK] A few ShopTo deals!

[NA] Refurbished Wii Remote Plus w/ Nunchuck - $25
This'll save you a heck a lot of money on Wii Remotes. Has the quality of Nintendo-refurbished products, comes with the full Motion Plus functionality and a Nunchuck. If you want Wii remotes, this is a good way to get them.

(And other ways to save on software.)
Last Updated: March 7th, 2015 (If this is more than a week out of date, then there's a very good chance this list isn't too reliable.)

[NA] Official NA Price Drop listing (Just in case I'm not keeping up.)

[NA] Refurbished Games - Currently, Mario Kart 8 (with a wii remote plus), Super Mario 3D World, and New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U can all be found here for a bit cheaper than you would find them elsewhere.

[UK] Amazon UK and ShopTo currently have a whole host of deals on various games, several of which are recommended exclusives! Even though the prices no longer match up with the numbers in the post, they're still significantly cheaper than the MSRP for the specified games.

If you live in the U.S., it may be a good idea to buy some of your first-party Nintendo games from Amazon, since games like Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and New Super Mario Bros. U can be found for a little cheaper than usual, there.

Upgrading your Wii Virtual Console games: If you've transferred your Wii data to your Wii U, you can purchase any NES or SNES games that you previously purchased on the Wii Shop Channel for a discount. $1.00 for NES games, $1.50 for SNES games. Of course, you don't have to upgrade in order to play these games from the virtual Wii Menu, and you can still play them from the Wii Menu afterward. Upgrading just gives you the functionality of the Wii U's NES/SNES VC.

The Wii U Digital Deluxe Promotion is over, but you may still have points that you haven't redeemed - this comes with all Deluxe Wii U consoles (which, if you buy refurbished from Nintendo or new, is what you're getting). Here are the details:
  • Activation codes earned must be redeemed at the Nintendo eShop by the end of June 2015.
  • There is no deadline to use funds once added to your balance in the Nintendo eShop.
  • Funds can be used for Wii U or 3DS purchases.

Games with threads:
Bayonetta 2
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Kart 8
Pikmin
Platinum Games (The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2)
Sonic Boom
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. [Imp Zone]
The Legend of Zelda
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Retail:

Digital:

Splatoon - May 29, 2015

Armikrog - Early 2015
Badland - June 2015
Beatbuddy - Spring 2015
Dungeons & Robots - Q1 2015
RIVE - Q1 2015
StarWhal: Just the Tip - Q1 2015
Yoshi's Woolly World - June 23 (PAL), 2015 (NA)
Adventures of Pip - May 2015
Runbow - June 2015
Mario Maker - September 2015
The Legend of Zelda - 2016
Xenoblade Chronicles X - 2015
Project CARS - 2015

Art Academy U - TBA 2015
Assault Android Cactus - TBA 2015
Devil's Third - TBA 2015
The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup - TBA 2015

A.N.N.E. - TBD
Blast'Em Bunnies - TBD
FAST Racing Neo - TBD
QUBE: Director's Cut - TBD

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Looking for more? You should be able to find somethin' you like here.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 21, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Things That Are Specific or Complex and We're Really Likely to End Up Forgetting

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 20, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The WiiU is pretty fun, yo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Welcome to Wii U 2014. The Year of Winning E3. The Year of Sexy Nintendo. The Year of Cute!

Cute
Captain Toad
Villager
Snoozing Gooba on a river

Sexy
Rosalina
Bayonetta
-6 Suit Samus

Cute and Sexy (is this possible? Nintendo makes it possible and puts it into your heart)
Princess Peach on a motorcycle wow!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
One more day, yet another step closer to Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

elf help book posted:

Cute and Sexy (is this possible? Nintendo makes it possible and puts it into your heart)
Princess Peach on a motorcycle wow!

Shovel Knight. What a hunk am I right ladies

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Folt The Bolt posted:

One more day, yet another step closer to Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World.

The promise of future Nintendo titles is what keeps me strong. :unsmith:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It might be worth adding to the OP that you get a discount on rebuying any Wii U VC titles you had on the Wii VC. I forget the exact pricing but it's like $1.00 for NES games to get the upgraded version.

More importantly seems many people have missed out on the Digital Deluxe Promotion that every Deluxe comes with, so we could have something about that as well. If you got a refurb or transferred from a Wii U to Deluxe, you're also earning points. People are probably sitting on money-back they didn't realize they have, which can be used for Wii U or 3DS titles.

Wii U DDP Details:
Earn points on all Wii U digital purchases made through Dec 2014
*Purchases made in the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii U do not qualify.
*Purchases made at the Nintendo eShop within the Nintendo 3DS do not qualify.
Exchange points to receive activation codes by Mar 2015
Activation codes earned must be redeemed at the Nintendo eShop by the end of June 2015
There is no deadline to use funds once added to your balance in the Nintendo eShop\
*Funds can be used for Wii U or 3DS purchases

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Chronojam posted:

It might be worth adding to the OP that you get a discount on rebuying any Wii U VC titles you had on the Wii VC. I forget the exact pricing but it's like $1.00 for NES games to get the upgraded version.

More importantly seems many people have missed out on the Digital Deluxe Promotion that every Deluxe comes with, so we could have something about that as well. If you got a refurb or transferred from a Wii U to Deluxe, you're also earning points. People are probably sitting on money-back they didn't realize they have, which can be used for Wii U or 3DS titles.

Wii U DDP Details:
Activation codes earned must be redeemed at the Nintendo eShop by the end of June 2015
There is no deadline to use funds once added to your balance in the Nintendo eShop\

Yeah, good point. OP should have this too.

It's 1.00 USD to upgrade a NES title and 1.50 to upgrade SNES titles you already owned on the Wii VC.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Macaluso posted:

Shovel Knight. What a hunk am I right ladies

I'd let him till my mounds. :shlick:

Yo, if you're a total weirdo like me and are wondering when a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory/Supreme Anime Farming game might come out for Wii U... well, keep holding your breath because Marvelous currently has "no plans" for a console game in either series at this time. Natsume has recently hijacked the Harvest Moon ship in name after a change in localizers for the series though, so they may take it upon themselves to make a title for the system on their own. I'll change this post if any news pops up to the contrary.

Edit 6/2/15: Natsume has indeed announced a WiiU Harvest Moon for 'Winter', so we'll see if it sucks or not!

I Watson fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 3, 2015

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ultigonio posted:

Recent News Tidbit: Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has stated that the main reason we won't be seeing either of this year's Assassin's Creed on the Wii U because Nintendo fans just don't buy them. He confirmed that Watch Dogs will still be coming to the system, but it'll be, until further notice, the last "mature" title Ubisoft intends to put on the system. Here's the source.

Maybe it has less to do with WiiU owners not wanting mature games and more to do with there already being a lot of high quality games already on the console nobody wants to shell out for this years mediocre "AAA" poo poo fest like another assassins creed or Watch_Dogs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I would like to take this opportunity to state something for the record. Ahem:

The Wii U is good, and, not bad.

Thank you.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
What a shame that we won't get Assassin's Creed on the Wii U. I guess.

But an even bigger shame is that Watch Dogs is still on track for the Wii U.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Has the whole Hyrule Warriors roster leaked yet? I understand it was released in Japan already.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

What a shame that we won't get Assassin's Creed on the Wii U. I guess.

But an even bigger shame is that Watch Dogs is still on track for the Wii U.

I would pay Ubisoft to not release Watch Dogs ever again. Does that count as a sale?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno if it was posted in the last thread but the Street Fighter producer said a couple of days ago he's got no plans for the Wii U

It's not really surprising or anything but yeah

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chronojam posted:

Wii U DDP Details:

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, good point. OP should have this too.

It's 1.00 USD to upgrade a NES title and 1.50 to upgrade SNES titles you already owned on the Wii VC.

It wouldn't hurt to put a blurb on there about how doing the re-purchase upgrade is optional and your games on Wii VC still work fine. And also you don't lose access to the Wii VC version if you do upgrade so you can go back and play it there instead I guess.

Also, this should be somewhere in the OP:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Chronojam posted:

Stuff about DDP and VC
Can't believe I didn't think about listing the DDP. I've added that and the VC upgrade details to the OP.

I Watson posted:

Yo, if you're a total weirdo like me and are wondering when a Harvest Moon/Rune Factory/Supreme Anime Farming game might come out for Wii U... well, keep holding your breath because Marvelous currently has "no plans" for a console game in either series at this time. Natsume has recently hijacked the Harvest Moon ship in name after a change in localizers for the series though, so they may take it upon themselves to make a title for the system on their own. I'll change this post if any news pops up to the contrary.
Yeah, considering that Natsume actually cares about the system to some degree (however slight), I'll hold out hope that we'll see a farmy-sim game on the system, especially since it's got potential for both the convenience of a touch-screen handheld title and the visuals of an HD title.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Also, this should be somewhere in the OP:

Every single line break is that image

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Thanks for putting this together Ultigonio. Annoying to hear that developers are all talking about how they do not plan to make things for the Wii U.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

This image is so last thread.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

Every single line break is that image

Shouldn't have squashed it. :(

Nolgthorn posted:

This image is so last thread.

I guess that's true. Motion to add the following image to the OP so that people are aware of the HD nature of the Wii U:

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I've got a DK tropical freeze question.

So I was playing through the game grabbing all the KONG letters and doing the temples. This was doable, with some frustration up until world 5, but I got to a really annoying letter that required a specific partner with no advance warning and I just got frustrated and haven't played since. Should I go back to it? I was really enjoying the game up until that point but I don't know, it just felt really frustrating even though now that I think back on it they pulled that same trick earlier.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah, the game has some great levels at the end, so I'd definitely recommend finishing it. I don't disagree about the B.S. it throws at you with certain kong letters or, even worse, puzzle pieces. I'll never forget that stupid puzzle piece on that one windmill.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Have the picture link to this video when clicked

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Puzzle pieces don't matter though. You could beat the entire game 101% and never pick up a single puzzle piece.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Artix posted:

Puzzle pieces don't matter though. You could beat the entire game 101% and never pick up a single puzzle piece.

I hope you are not seriously telling me that neither gold medals nor puzzle pieces count for full "100%" completion of the game. Not because I think you are wrong, but because, if true, that would be very very very dumb.

fake edit: To clarify, I know I don't need puzzle pieces to unlock levels, ever. My main point of contention would be them not contributing to the actual completion percent for the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Silver Striker posted:

I've got a DK tropical freeze question.

So I was playing through the game grabbing all the KONG letters and doing the temples. This was doable, with some frustration up until world 5, but I got to a really annoying letter that required a specific partner with no advance warning and I just got frustrated and haven't played since. Should I go back to it? I was really enjoying the game up until that point but I don't know, it just felt really frustrating even though now that I think back on it they pulled that same trick earlier.

Yes go back and play through it to the end then go back and get frustrated at collectables stuff. Some secret exits require Dixie. Are you sure the letter required a certain character though? I don't remember any kong letter or puzzle pieces that required that, but I know some you have to do that roll off the edge then jump move that is terrifying to do every time

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Yes go back and play through it to the end then go back and get frustrated at collectables stuff. Some secret exits require Dixie. Are you sure the letter required a certain character though? I don't remember any kong letter or puzzle pieces that required that, but I know some you have to do that roll off the edge then jump move that is terrifying to do every time

I'm pretty sure this one requires Dixie. From what I remember it was a right below one of those platforms you can pass through (over a bottomless pit, of course), and it looked like the only way to get it was to grab it from below and then double jump. I just saw it and got so mad I didn't even bother to check gamefaqs, which I usually only do if I can't figure out how to grab something after a few runs of a level.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Bought a Wii U last week, own MK8, NSMBU, and Pikmin 3. I want to buy another game today, gimmie suggestions. Of the games I have, Pikmin is my favorite. I'm not so into 2d/3d scrollers, so DKC TF is out, and I'm not into the 3D Mario either. Mass Effect 3? Monster Hunter? WWHD? Wonderful 101?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Regy Rusty posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to state something for the record. Ahem:

The Wii U is good, and, not bad.

Thank you.

Amen to this a thousand times. The Wii U is a good system. I don't care what anybody else says!

Harlock posted:

Has the whole Hyrule Warriors roster leaked yet? I understand it was released in Japan already.

Yep, we have the full roster. Here you go: http://zeldawiki.org/Hyrule_Warriors#Playable_Characters

Also note the devs have said they will have downloadable content eventually. Make sure to make a stink on Twitter and your Club Nintendo Surveys that you want Groose and online co-op!

Sitting Bull posted:

Bought a Wii U last week, own MK8, NSMBU, and Pikmin 3. I want to buy another game today, gimmie suggestions. Of the games I have, Pikmin is my favorite. I'm not so into 2d/3d scrollers, so DKC TF is out, and I'm not into the 3D Mario either. Mass Effect 3? Monster Hunter? WWHD? Wonderful 101?

May I ask why you're "not into" Super Mario 3D World? It's pretty much the best drat game on the system. If you just don't like the genre, that's cool. Wind Waker HD or Wonderful 101 may be more your style. Monster Hunter is also good but it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Monster Hunter, WWHD, and Wonderful 101 are all great choices. Monster Hunter and Wonderful 101 are very much acquired tastes in that they fill pretty specific niches, and that they have pretty lame demos. I'm a huge fan of them though, and got tons of hours of gameplay out of them.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Sitting Bull posted:

Buy Mario 3D World anyway. Barring that Wonderful 101, Wind Waker and Monster Hunter in that order.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Is Mario 3d better than Mario 64? Haven't played a Mario game since 64. Never played WW either so I may just get that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sitting Bull posted:

Is Mario 3d better than Mario 64?

Yes. A million times yes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ultigonio posted:

I hope you are not seriously telling me that neither gold medals nor puzzle pieces count for full "100%" completion of the game. Not because I think you are wrong, but because, if true, that would be very very very dumb.

fake edit: To clarify, I know I don't need puzzle pieces to unlock levels, ever. My main point of contention would be them not contributing to the actual completion percent for the game.

Nope. Puzzle pieces only unlock concept art (and a diorama if you collect enough of them in each world) and gold medals are purely for bragging rights. Only thing that matters for completion percentage is getting KONG and beating all the levels (and hard mode, which lets you go all the way up to 201% :getin:).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sitting Bull posted:

Is Mario 3d better than Mario 64? Haven't played a Mario game since 64. Never played WW either so I may just get that.

In my opinion it is. Oh is it ever! However, SM3DW is a different style of game than Mario 64. It's more like Super Mario World, but in 3D. You run to the end of the course and touch the top of the flag. There are also green stars and stamps to collect along the way, to provide extra challenge. You can choose from 4 playable characters, each with slightly different abilities a la Super Mario Brothers 2. It also has the best drat power-up in any Mario Game ever.

If you haven't played a Mario game in that long, you owe it to yourself to get 3D World.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hah look at this baby console for babies ho ho ho

No but seriously I love the Wii U but really wish that Nintendo would create an account system that isn't utter poo poo. I mean, they introduced that system transfer which I guess works for the 3DS, but it just doesn't work for a home console that has multiple accounts on it.

Unless, it wouldn't happen to work with individual accounts, would it? Or is it the same as the 3DS, in that it wipes the entire console and transfers it to the new system?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Sitting Bull posted:

I'm not sure I'd use the term "better" but I'd certainly say it's different enough to justify suggesting it to you wholeheartedly.

Artix posted:

Nope. Puzzle pieces only unlock concept art (and a diorama if you collect enough of them in each world) and gold medals are purely for bragging rights. Only thing that matters for completion percentage is getting KONG and beating all the levels (and hard mode, which lets you go all the way up to 201% :getin:).
Man what the heck :mad:

Silver Striker posted:

I'm pretty sure this one requires Dixie. From what I remember it was a right below one of those platforms you can pass through (over a bottomless pit, of course), and it looked like the only way to get it was to grab it from below and then double jump.
Which level? And you're aware that you can jump out of a roll in mid-air, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ultigonio posted:

Which level? And you're aware that you can jump out of a roll in mid-air, yeah?

It's in World 5 (I want to say 5-4), I know exactly what level he's talking about because it is possibly my absolute least favorite level in the entire goddamn game because of that G. It might be possible if you time a roll jump absolutely perfectly from the left, go under and get the G, then jump up and make it to solid ground, but I'm like 95% certain you need Dixie to do it.

• Locked thread