Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Personally, I think we should just leave the universal suggestions (ie stuff like Galaxy 1/2, Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade, etc) and if anyone has a more specific request they can always ask. Otherwise you're going to end up listing literally every single Wii game and at that point, why even bother? Just put a link to Wikipedia or something.

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Someone forgot Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

Then again the game is impossible to find. So why tantalize?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ultigonio posted:

:mad:

Here's a quick look at what the Recommended Wii Games will look like:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20252

Feel free to let me know if you see something that makes you want to, like, blow homeless shelters up or set fire to daycares or something.

Where is Battalion Wars 2? :colbert:

Actually it's ok, I'm like one of five people who bought and enjoyed that game, so I understand why it's not there.

Austrian mook posted:

Battalion Wars 2 is very good
:hfive:

Speaking of Xenoblade, count me as one of those people who would love to try it, but isn't willing to spend sixty bucks on a "used" game to just end up finding out that it's not my bag. Really wish Nintendo would do a digital release or something with it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

PoshAlligator posted:

Sonic and the Black Knight (yeah, it's fun and cheap all right)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (see above)

Let's try to have at least some semblance of standards here!

(Zack & Wiki is great though and should totally be on the list)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yes you do. Don't let OP bias get in the way of listing all the worth playing Wii games.

Personally speaking, this is a Wii U thread, and I'd hate to come in and see 1/2 of the OP be Wii games. Also, if you didn't play the Wii, it's very daunting to have a wall of "recommended" games. When you ask for recommendations, it's usually because you are having a hard time sifting through the massive number of games on the system. Putting a massive number of games in the OP pretty much negates any benefit of narrowing down the games in the first place.

And we know how Nintendo fans are. Just because it's your favorite game in the world does not mean it's a generally well received game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Handsome Ralph posted:

Speaking of Xenoblade, count me as one of those people who would love to try it, but isn't willing to spend sixty bucks on a "used" game to just end up finding out that it's not my bag. Really wish Nintendo would do a digital release or something with it.

It's down to 40 bucks at Gamestop.

Fremry posted:

And we know how Nintendo fans are. Just because it's your favorite game in the world does not mean it's a generally well received game.

That would reduce the Wii-U games to maybe 2 or 3.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean who is this list even for, no one is going to pick up a Wii U and think "Hell yes I'm ready to drop a couple hundred bucks on 30 used games." List the half-dozen universally praised titles and if people want to dig deeper they can ask or check any number of other resources about it. We don't need a list of every Wii game people enjoyed playing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tender Bender posted:

I mean who is this list even for, no one is going to pick up a Wii U and think "Hell yes I'm ready to drop a couple hundred bucks on 30 used games." List the half-dozen universally praised titles and if people want to dig deeper they can ask or check any number of other resources about it. We don't need a list of every Wii game people enjoyed playing.

Well, it was probably the most asked question in the last thread, and the WiiU being backwards compatible is a big selling point considering the other two consoles out right now aren't. Though I do agree that the list of Wii games it shouldn't overshadow the WiiU itself, since that's the system this thread is about.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

List no more than ten games, those everyone deem universally good, then say something "Looking for more, check this list" and link to something like this or similar.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

That would reduce the Wii-U games to maybe 2 or 3.

I disagree, the only ones on the Wii U list that could be excised for not being extremely well received is ZombiU and Wonderful 101. However, because there are so few games on the system right now and they have been generally well received both by people here and critics, I think it's no issue to keep them.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Saoshyant posted:

List no more than ten games, those everyone deem universally good, then say something "Looking for more, check this list" and link to something like this or similar.

That's a solid list.

I think this is a good idea.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

All these lists are dumb just recommend Muscle March and who cares about the rest?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Surlaw posted:

All these lists are dumb just recommend Muscle March and who cares about the rest?

Obligatory video post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hcElGydzb8

And yes: That is a polar bear. :allears:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

None of this really matters as with the last thread everyone is going to just post "Hey, just picked up a WiiU and never had a Wii/missed the last console generation, what are some good Wii games?" every 3 and a half pages anyway. Thus is the fate of decently done thread starters.

Saoshyant posted:

The best idea.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Like this, what the hell? First NMH is easily the better of the two.

If we're talking story, then yes, but the sequel soundly outdoes it in gameplay and presentation.

Surlaw posted:

This is a good idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

The problem with that approach is you could just say "Nintendo published titles that aren't Other M or Wii Music" and fill the entire list and that's stuff that should be obvious to anyone who has bought a Wii U.

Hell, forget the list and just put that in.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Handsome Ralph posted:

Actually it's ok, I'm like one of five people who bought and enjoyed that game, so I understand why it's not there.

It's good to know there's another guy waiting for Battalion Wars 3. Seriously though people if you want an underappreciated gem from the last 2 generations, it's that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ultigonio posted:

:mad:

Here's a quick look at what the Recommended Wii Games will look like:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20252

Feel free to let me know if you see something that makes you want to, like, blow homeless shelters up or set fire to daycares or something.

That list could be paired down significantly by just putting the best of a series instead of all sequels. You list the best of the bunch, and if you like the game you seek out the sequel or whatever.

1 Galaxy game, 1 Trama Center, 1 Zelda, 1 Pikmin, 1 deblob, 1 Metroid (trilogy has Corruption in it), 1 Mario Sports game (I thought sluggers was kind of weak...)

I'd personally swap out ExciteBots with ExciteTruck, and add in Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports Resort, and I guess Smash Bros since it seems oddly missing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I want another Mario Strikers so loving bad

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Just post a list of Wii games and edit it in response to the thread. Who cares if it isn't immediately perfect.

Also a lengthy list is handy for answering "I saw this game used for $10, is it worth getting" with a quick ctrl-f.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Try your local Gamestop. I was just in one today that had a copy for 45 bucks. Still steep for a "used" game, but a pretty great deal for a limited release niche title.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Also a lengthy list is handy for answering "I saw this game used for $10, is it worth getting" with a quick ctrl-f.

People are still going to come in and ask that question.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

People are still going to come in and ask that question.

Actually talking to people instead of referencing a pre-written guide is cool.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Yeah I don't read OPs and just ask threads for the most part because I like talking to people I'm so lonely

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I don't know how to read.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem with mentioning what Wii games are worth playing is the Wii was a system that, like most Nintendo post SNES home consoles, were system that had a handful of really great games and then a bunch of okay games that the base told themselves were actually really good because they didn't have all that much else between the really good games. I'm not saying that the Wii didn't have some really amazing games and I'm not saying there aren't some hidden gems, but I've been burned so many times by playing a game that was hyped as being amazing when it really was just okay for a system that had no other similar options.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

elf help book posted:

Actually talking to people instead of referencing a pre-written guide is cool.

I don't understand why people think the goal of threads like these is to have no discussion. Just make an op and close it then!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

axleblaze posted:

I think part of the problem with mentioning what Wii games are worth playing is the Wii was a system that, like most Nintendo post SNES home consoles, were system that had a handful of really great games and then a bunch of okay games that the base told themselves were actually really good because they didn't have all that much else between the really good games. I'm not saying that the Wii didn't have some really amazing games and I'm not saying there aren't some hidden gems, but I've been burned so many times by playing a game that was hyped as being amazing when it really was just okay for a system that had no other similar options.

Same thing happens to me on a regular basis because I absolutely do not like turn based RPGs. I also don't like RTS games, but I bought Pikmin 3 because it's a pretty game and I got it really cheap. I'm expecting to not like it, but I knew that before I bought it.

Like, people absolutely LOVE Fire Emblem, but as someone who doesn't like strategy and turn based, Radiant Dawn is like my version of video game purgatory.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Just list all the currently expensive Wii games like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Metroid Prime Trilogy followed by a link to this song while they make their purchases.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope we're still talking about the OP 1000 pages from now

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Fremry posted:

I'm expecting to not like it, but I knew that before I bought it.

Why would you do this? :confused:

Cheap is cheap, but if you don't think you'll like it just spend your money and time on something else.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any idea how much longer "a little extra" is on the refurbished Wii U shipping? I'm in a dumb situation where I can't afford to get the Wii U itself until sometime in September, but also need to have it before September 30th because I already bought Mario Kart 8 while it came with a free game and have a code for Pikmin 3 from it, which apparently expires at the end of September.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

Any examples?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Shelf Adventure posted:

Why would you do this? :confused:

Cheap is cheap, but if you don't think you'll like it just spend your money and time on something else.

It's kinda like going back to a food you didn't like when you were younger. I'm hoping I'll be surprised and have a good time with it. What's life if you don't try to change it up every now and again?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

axleblaze posted:

This is pretty much every console, though, including the SNES and before.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just list all the currently expensive Wii games like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and Metroid Prime Trilogy followed by a link to this song while they make their purchases.

You got close but wrong wrestler theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JTzEppKy8

Mercury Crusader posted:

This is pretty much every console, though, including the SNES and before.

Shhhhh. Don't crush his narrative. Even though despite the fact that the large majority of people who would be talking to you on an internet messaging board about video games had multiple consoles last generation so there wasn't really a "oh they only had access to this so they thought it was the best thing ever."

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 20, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

Any examples?

Well a few off the top of my head of games that have been listed:

Mad World is a good two hour beat em up that goes on for ten. Alot of the games mechanics become pretty old, pretty fast and the latter half of the game is miserable.

No More Heroes is even shallower than Mad World, and has some annoying grinding and alot of waggle. I like NMH way better in concept than I do in execution.

Speaking of shallow games, Muramasa is pretty but everything outside of bossfights has a bland sameyness that doesn't change. The translation for it is also awful (though they apparently fixed that on the Vita release). It's the only Vanillaware game that I didn't think was great.

Zak and Wiki is a pretty okay adventure game marred pretty severely by having it be really easy to die and punishing you for not doing every scenario without doing so.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is alright but I feel it's praise was more due to it being pretty much the only fighting game on the system and how hard it was to get for awhile. I feel if you want a fighting game there's just way better you can do if you have any other console options.

Super Paper Mario combines the platforming controls of the Paper Mario series, with the deep combat of the normal Mario series. It's the worst of both worlds and was just sort of a major misstep in alot of ways.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is a really bad game and I don't know why anyone would recommend it. It's not 06 bad, but it's really not good.

I think in general if you're gonna have a list in the OP, stick to the no brainers and stick the more specialized games to individual recommendations. I'm not saying that all the games listed are bad, or that my opinion on them is definitive, but I think alot of them are not games that everyone must play. Trauma Center isn't bad, but I wouldn't just put it on a list and say everyone should play it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Games stuff

The only grinding I remember in NMH was self imposed by myself because I wanted to get the highest level beam katana thing. Other than that you had the assassin missions and goofy chores as dumb fun little diversions but I wouldn't necessarily call them 'grinding' since you only really have to do one or two between each boss fight. That being said yes I would of loved the game as much if it were just straight boss fights continuously.

Also Tatsunoko vs Capcom is better than Marvel 3 due to not having Xfactor. There I said it. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commissar Ken posted:

Also Tatsunoko vs Capcom is better than Marvel 3 due to not having Xfactor. There I said it. :colbert:

The only bad thing to be said about T-vs-C is that Tatsunoko didn't include the Samurai Pizza Cats :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Trauma Center isn't bad, but I wouldn't just put it on a list and say everyone should play it.
I'm sorry you hate fun

• Locked thread