Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why the hell doesn't Bayonetta not have a specific release date yet? I can only really afford to preorder one game this year, that's gonna be it but I don't want to do it until it gets a date more specific than "October".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kewpuh posted:

Why would you need to preorder it? :confused:

To make sure I can get it the second it comes out. I know it's dumb but who knows what places are gonna bother having extra copies of the niche Wii U game on release day.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Is DeBlob actually a game worth checking out? It always looked like lame generic mascot platformer garbage to me.

It seemed like it had the potential to be a fun game and had alot of charm but it's also a platformer that assigned "jump" to waggle, so I found it to pretty much be unplayable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem with mentioning what Wii games are worth playing is the Wii was a system that, like most Nintendo post SNES home consoles, were system that had a handful of really great games and then a bunch of okay games that the base told themselves were actually really good because they didn't have all that much else between the really good games. I'm not saying that the Wii didn't have some really amazing games and I'm not saying there aren't some hidden gems, but I've been burned so many times by playing a game that was hyped as being amazing when it really was just okay for a system that had no other similar options.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Austrian mook posted:

Any examples?

Well a few off the top of my head of games that have been listed:

Mad World is a good two hour beat em up that goes on for ten. Alot of the games mechanics become pretty old, pretty fast and the latter half of the game is miserable.

No More Heroes is even shallower than Mad World, and has some annoying grinding and alot of waggle. I like NMH way better in concept than I do in execution.

Speaking of shallow games, Muramasa is pretty but everything outside of bossfights has a bland sameyness that doesn't change. The translation for it is also awful (though they apparently fixed that on the Vita release). It's the only Vanillaware game that I didn't think was great.

Zak and Wiki is a pretty okay adventure game marred pretty severely by having it be really easy to die and punishing you for not doing every scenario without doing so.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom is alright but I feel it's praise was more due to it being pretty much the only fighting game on the system and how hard it was to get for awhile. I feel if you want a fighting game there's just way better you can do if you have any other console options.

Super Paper Mario combines the platforming controls of the Paper Mario series, with the deep combat of the normal Mario series. It's the worst of both worlds and was just sort of a major misstep in alot of ways.

Sonic and the Secret Rings is a really bad game and I don't know why anyone would recommend it. It's not 06 bad, but it's really not good.

I think in general if you're gonna have a list in the OP, stick to the no brainers and stick the more specialized games to individual recommendations. I'm not saying that all the games listed are bad, or that my opinion on them is definitive, but I think alot of them are not games that everyone must play. Trauma Center isn't bad, but I wouldn't just put it on a list and say everyone should play it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh for fucks sake, just let him post a drat list in the OP. We will all be able to live perfectly happy lives if the OP doesn't contain some games we like or includes some games we don't like. No matter what's on the list people are just gonna come in every 10-20 pages or so asking for Wii game recommendations anyways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Manticore posted:

if the One Piece community is any indication.

...do I even want to know?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I saw an article on IGN wishing that Splatoon was a platformer, because if there's anything Nintendo needs it's more platformers!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

IGN is dumb

I know, it's just that was particularly :psyduck:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Talking about problems Nintendo is having with the Wii U and some major publishers basically saying they aren't interested in the system? Get the gently caress out of here with that!

This on the other hand

Totally on topic!

I mean I agree the speculative doom and gloom gets a bit tiresome but it's not like Alteisen was even doing that so...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chaltab posted:

Wait they thought Melia was tsundere, what the gently caress. Half the reason the game is so good is that the characters aren't unbearable anime cliches.

:ssh: I don't think he actually played the game.

More importantly going to the other thread to pull posts to feel smug about is really god damned stupid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Xenoblade did have it's share of anime cliches, it's just compared to most JRPGs it was...something that's not a JRPG (I can't really think of something that would embody that). Funnily enough Sharla (the one they were talking about) was like the one of the three female protagonists that didn't really fall into a JRPG cliche.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There have been some recent Sonic games that were in fact very good.

I can't speak for CoD but it's fanbase seems to like it fine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Davinci posted:

Lost World was not a good game.

Colors and Generations were very good though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do want to try Lost Worlds some day because I'm willing to put up with even a badly executed Mario Galaxy ripoff, but I'm not paying more than $10 for it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Crisis City was probably my favorite level in Generations. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it showed a strange world where Sonic 06 could have been okay if the people making it weren't awful at making games.

I didn't mind the Colors level, but it was sort of a let down. That game had some of the most fun, creative level concepts I've ever seen in a platformer and they went with the lamest level in the game. That game had a space armada, a roller coaster in a volcano and a god damned cake/weapons factory and when they chose a level they went with the mountain missile silo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was talking to a co-worker awhile ago about how I had playing the new Mario on my new Wii U and he had no idea Nintendo even had a new console out. Nintendo did not do a very good job promoting this thing to the public. I guess they couldn't have really recreated what they had with the Wii (where it was pretty much a media sensation) but they pretty much had nothing. Ironically I think part of the problem is the name Wii U, which I think they went with because of how well known the Wii became so they figured it would be a good idea to build on that brand rather than start a new one, but this lead to no one knowing it was a new console.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Yeah, there's no doubt it's going to be a cut above the typical Dynasty Warriors game simply because Nintendo isn't going to let one of their biggest licenses be in something totally basic.

They've done it before, but yeah, Hyrule Warriors is looking to be a pretty top tier Musou game. It's not really a high bar but it is looking to have the elements I need in such a game.

Oddly enough I was pretty meh on this whole thing until that One Piece Musuo game went on sale on PSN and that's got me excited to play another potentially over the top one of these.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So is this the point in the thread where we talk for multiple pages about what GC games we want in the eshop, despite the fact that there's no evidence that this is going to happen and Nintendo probably won't actually do it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MykonosFan posted:

poo poo, man. I'd just be happy to see N64 games by the end of 2015 anymore.

That's kind of my point really. Nintendo are having trouble getting games they already released for the Wii onto the Wii-U. Why does anyone think they're just aching to start pushing out all those great Gamecube games?

If they come out with it, great, I will probably buy some. It's just last time this came up because of an amazingly fake E3 leak and now it's coming up because "this is totally something they are gonna do".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

If I play Super Mario 3D World will NSMBWU be going backwards in playability?

Yes. At the very least it will feel extremely underwhelming. If you play 3D World first play a few other games before going to NSMBWU.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly hope that's real because Duck Hunt dog would be a dope choice for the weird obscure character no one expected.

I have a friend that will be damned disappointed that there's no Ridley, despite the fact I've been telling him all year that there probably will be no Ridley and he shouldn't give his hopes up.

Edit: Who is the character to the left of Duck Hunt dog?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've waited twenty years to get even with that chuckling mongrel. It better not be a fake :toughguy:.

He is totally the character I will play. In those games I tend to just like to annoy people rather than fight. In Bralw I just sort of picked Luigi and taunted over and over. When I played PS All Stars I just played Toro and napped as often as I could. So yeah, I will be that rear end in a top hat that keep running to corners of the maps with no fighting and laughing over and over.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If I was being honest, at least half the reason I bought MK8 was because I could play as Koopalings. Koopalings rule.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ludwig von Koopa is actually, factually the best koopaling.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

There were a bunch of rumours about a Pokemon fighting game called Pokken or something, right? Namco actually announced it for arcades today

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Cs4L1JALY

I would assume it'd have to come to Wii U at some point too though

This...looks really boring. I realize that this is probably really early but man I don't know how they managed to make two pokemon fighting look blander than it did on Gameboy.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mischief Makers has the same problem that Sin and Punishment had in that it was one of the few games that really made itself for the N64 controller and playing it with anything but, while possible, is still kind of a pain in the rear end where you just feel like you need more buttons.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Amiibo thing could go either way. On the one hand Skylanders was popular, on the other hand, from what I understand, Disney bombed pretty hard with Disney Infinity, so it's hard to know how this will go. Nintendo have brand on their side, but so did Disney and making the Amiibos not necessary to unlock stuff, while nice, could also hurt them pretty badly. They also have the problem that while the Wii U doesn't need and accessory to scan the things, the much more popular 3DS does. It is a thing where we'll just have to wait and see.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

numerrik posted:

Also, How's D&D? I was thinking of picking it up now that it's on sale.

It is probably the best arcade beat em up ever made, but it still has the shortcomings of an arcade beat em up in that it wants you to give it quarters and there's not THAT much depth because depth would prevent you from giving it quarters. It's still FAR deeper than any other arcade games of the time, but it's stillpretty shallow compared to other modern beat em up offerings.

Still, it's worth $7.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will pretty much rebuy Gone Home for whatever because I want to give that dev money.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Are NES Remix Pack and Ultimate NES Remix just the other two games packaged as one game?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

The new 3DS/WiiU Shantae went from Summer 2014 to TBA 2014 :|

At this point we'll probably get the Kickstarter game before we get the game they were making before they even starter that thing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shelf Adventure posted:

So I've recently gotten into megaman, I've finished megaman 2, megaman x and gotten most of the way through 3. That being said, there are so many different megaman games and series that I'm not really sure what else is worth checking out. I'm not talking about games just on the wii u but I couldn't see a megaman thread.

I like the run and shoot game play, but found the thankfully minimal story in x terrible. For the classic series i know 2 and 3 are a must, the others are okay. What about the X games? There's like 8 of these?

Also are the other series worth getting into? Legends, zero? Battle network seems like it's own thing. Basically I like running, shooting and then stealing some guy's weapon.

All the original series are worth playing. Some are weaker than other but they're all pretty fun. This includes 9, 10 and Mega Man and Bass. Also, if possible, played Powered Up on the PSP because it might be the best remake of a classic game ever.

The SNES X games are all good. The first is the best but still, play them all. X4 is my personal favorite. It has two campaigns that play differently and contains the only interesting plot point in the entire series. X5 is a major step down but it's still okay and noteworthy because it was supposed to be the last one so they (badly) wrap up a bunch of stuff in it and it has the best/worst names mavericks in the series. X6 and X7 are garbage games that you should avoid at all costs. X8 is also well worth playing. The PSP remake of the first doesn't add too much, but if you have a PSP it's worth checking out.

The Battle Network series is pretty okay but very samey even within it's own game and if you hate dumb plot, avoid this like the plague. The Gamecube one is a normal sidescroller Megaman, but it also kinda sucks.

The Zero series is the hardest of the series and also full of really bad design decisions but it's still pretty alright. Also the first one is a Metroidvania, then they dropped that. They returned to Metroidvania with the ZX games which are pretty fun good, but not great, games.

The Legend games are janky as hell, but they have some charm if you can get passed their "we don't understand how to make a 3D game" ways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Megaman powered up on the other hand has been unavailable digitally since forever so you'd actually need a PSP for that.

That's unfortunate they never put that on the store because Powered Up is completely fantastic. It's too bad it sold like poo poo because the only thing better than Mega Man Powered Up would have been Mega Man 2/3 Powered Up.

Emong posted:

Vile Mode is worth the purchase in and of itself, in my opinion. The remake of X1 is just a bonus.

This is true if only for how much of an utter insane rear end in a top hat they write Vile as.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I only got to the second Battle Network game before getting sick of it. The game does have some really strong elements but it also might have some of the worst, most drawn out fetch quests I've ever seen in anything ever and I just got rally bored wandering back and forth around identical looking areas. Maybe some day I'll go back to them but not any time soon.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ultigonio posted:

It may be the fact that you elected to play the worst BN game from a mechanical standpoint and then played the one with probably the 3rd-worst map design that would be part of the problem, there. I can't blame you for trying to play the series in order, but you really shouldn't even have played 1, it's so unpolished.

To be fair, I played 1 when it was a new game and there weren't other BN games to play. Same with 2.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was also a Genesis kid and I didn't really play through SMW (I dabbled in it from time to time but I never played through all worlds) until college but you should still play it because it's really good. Nostalgia is cool and all but it's not as cool as the actual game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

The quality of the Sonic games drops off a cliff after Sonic CD. 3D Blast and Spinball were released after Sonic CD, right?

Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles was also released after CD, so no it didn't.

Also my favorite SOnic games have come out rather recently. I like the classic Sonic games alot but Colors is my favorite Sonic game.

Also, anyone that like the old school Genesis platformers, you should check out Freedom Planet on steam. It's just a giant love letter to those games and it's rad as hell.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bubsy was a love letter to Sonic, too.

Well, it was more of a company trying to cash in on the popularity of Sonic by making their own version of him.

But still Freedom Planet is a good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have now completely lost track what we are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest problem I had with Xenoblade (outside of it just being too big) was I rarely saw a point in not using Shulk/Reyn/Sharla. It's just the perfect combo of Attacker/Tank/Healer and I rarely found use for anyone else. I did also enjoy playing as Melia and thought she had the most fun gameplay but party wise it still just didn't fit together as well. I'd experiment with other party combos but every time I'd switch back things would just always go way smoother.

• Locked thread