Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

elf help book posted:

Cute and Sexy (is this possible? Nintendo makes it possible and puts it into your heart)
Princess Peach on a motorcycle wow!

Shovel Knight. What a hunk am I right ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Silver Striker posted:

I've got a DK tropical freeze question.

So I was playing through the game grabbing all the KONG letters and doing the temples. This was doable, with some frustration up until world 5, but I got to a really annoying letter that required a specific partner with no advance warning and I just got frustrated and haven't played since. Should I go back to it? I was really enjoying the game up until that point but I don't know, it just felt really frustrating even though now that I think back on it they pulled that same trick earlier.

Yes go back and play through it to the end then go back and get frustrated at collectables stuff. Some secret exits require Dixie. Are you sure the letter required a certain character though? I don't remember any kong letter or puzzle pieces that required that, but I know some you have to do that roll off the edge then jump move that is terrifying to do every time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

So why aren't there any DLC worlds for 3D World, anyway? I would totally drop :10bux: on another Star World or something like that.

I'd like to think they were making more toad levels DLC and then just turned around and made that a full game. I'd love it if they added in new level DLC to 3D World and Tropical Freeze though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I saw an article on IGN wishing that Splatoon was a platformer, because if there's anything Nintendo needs it's more platformers!

I mean I do agree that Nintendo needs more platformers because platformers are the best type of game genre and Nintendo typically knocks it out of the park when it comes to them BUT Splatoon is fine with what it is

edit: worst genre is rts

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What will us WiiU owners do without Call of Duty oh noooo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fremry posted:

I didn't say they were doomed, that's the strawman that all the defensive people in this thread set up for me. I said it doesn't bode well financially, which it doesn't. It's pretty much guaranteed to be this year's best selling title, and Nintendo isn't going to get a slice of that pie after 3 years of operating losses.

I simply questioned how long the losses are going to go on before something at Nintendo changes. If you go back and read what I actually wrote, I said that they aren't in jeopardy because of the cash they had on hand from the Wii sales.

Everyone just gets freaking butthurt if anyone suggests anything other than "everything is fine and dandy at Nintendo." It would not have turned into this at all if we could have a discussion about it that didn't immediately start with name-calling and going for the jugular.

Did that other WiiU thread for loser nerds who hate the WiiU get closed what's going on here

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

I wonder if we'll hear anything new of Mario maker soon, I know its a 2015 title, but doesn't strike me as a game that'll release past the spring.

I just want to see all the different tiles sets they add. Hopefully they add in a lot.

And hopefully they allow the stages to be way longer than what they showed at E3

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

When I was a kid World gave me some of the hardest issues. The water stuff was pretty hard for me back then. I legit couldn't get past world 2 though without a warp whistle.

I don't think the game is that hard now though. The last world still has some hardass levels.

Also the giant world is one of my favorite things in any Mario game. There are giant versions of enemies all the time now, but back then the giant world blew my child mind

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Ichor isn't all that necessary during the regular game, but fuuuuuck it is a lifesaver in New Game Plus. Since all the drat chickens turn into bombs :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

and you especially don't need it to beat Plague Knight. He's the easiest boss past King and Specter.

Tinker Knight's the easiest. Not only can his first form be one shot with the buzz saw platform item, but his second form is literally just "jump on his head until he's dead". You have to almost try to get hurt on that fight.

He is the best knight however

Hardest knight is Polar Knight, that rear end in a top hat :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, the bosses in Tropical Freeze have the worst combination of taking way too long (9 loving hits jesus) and forcing you to wait until you can hit them. Which is a shame cause thematically all the fights are interesting. The final boss's thing where he blows a horn and the ice dragon bird thing attacks is cool. It's just... it goes on forever...

It's a good thing the rest of the game is so insanely good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Not enough love for City Escape Classic where Sonic gets a skateboard #90sforever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Zonekeeper posted:

It's amazing what having game developers with high standards can do. Everyone else ships unfinished games and charges to access the parts they finish afterwards, but Nintendo's DLC could easily be sold as stand-alone sequels/expansions and nobody would bat an eye.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toad's Treasure Tracker started off as DLC for 3D World but then they just decided it was big enough to make its own game.

Still want 3D World DLC though. And Tropical Freeze.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Personally I'm most excited about racing as Isabelle, but her DLC is the further one away :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

SO. Ducktales HD! I've been eyeing it for a bit, and do need about six bucks to get my next five bucks in cashback, I enjoyed the original one (maybe, i mean, i probably did but all that stuck with me is the moon theme) so think it's a good idea? or too light in content? Or should I simply get it on PC and buy something else on the U?

I love it. If you liked the original and you liked Ducktales the show it's really great, especially cause they got all the original voice actors. Even Scrooge, and that guy is like 93! A lot of love and care for the show went into the remake. There's also a brand new level exclusive to the remake, as well as both classic and modern versions of its theme. All the music is done by Jake Kaufman who rules

There are TONS of cutscenes, which a lot of people complain about but it takes like one second to skip them so I don't think they are a problem at all.

Edit: If you don't like or don't care about Ducktales at all, it's still a solid platformer, but I feel like half of the game's appeal would be gone for you

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

100%ing Yoshi's Island is not that difficult. It's also the best platformer of all time so

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

I find the Kong letters the hardest. Some of them have really nasty placing/timed jumps and you don't get to keep them after you die like with the puzzle pieces. :(

The Kong letters are harder, I think, just because of the fact that if you die they reset and you have to regrab them if you didn't hit a checkpoint. The puzzle pieces, once you collect it that's it. You can die as many times as you want and it'll still be collected. Just as long as you eventually beat the level.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The new 3DS isn't coming out in time for Smash is it :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CatsPajamas posted:

There's been so much added to Super Smash Bros. since the N64, although the original is still a classic. Have you seen all the character intros?

I wish they had used the Live and Learn song they used in Sonic's Brawl trailer for his new one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKJywQF-cXA

It just feel so Sonic, even more so than using a song from his Genesis games would have.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The WiiU is dead. RIP Nintendo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

greatn posted:

The boss fights are lovely and way too long. I've put the game down for over a month multiple times because of how boring it got going through the same escalating patterns over and over, only to die on the last pattern.

Man I thought the bosses were poorly done but not THAT poorly done. All the non- boss levels being so stellar really helps.

Actually I take that back. The Pufferfish boss was THAT poorly done. That was horseshit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

nachos posted:

Are the bosses in TF better or worse than Returns?

They're worse in how long it takes to beat them, but they're better mechanically. Like the owl boss is really cool and thematic it's just... it takes 9 hits to beat him so it takes forever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

The aesthetic and general feel of Monster Hunter really makes me wish it was open-world. I get that the series is all about the boss fights, but a spin-off where you explore a huge world and track down monsters would be awesome. The CGI trailer for Monster Hunter on the Wii seemed like it might be that kind of game, then I played it and found out the whole game takes place in basically large arenas. It's very good at what it does, I'd just like to see the concept get taken in a different direction.

And you guys are making me excited to finally get around to Tropical Freeze. Returns had maybe the best platforming design I've ever played.

Tropical Freeze blows the first game out of the water as far as level design goes. I still love the first game, but seriously, the entire "Africa" segment of levels is so well done, and each level leads into the next. In fact both that and the fruit jungle world do a really good job of that.

TF also has the pleasure of making the rocket barrel levels way more easier to control and they just look so cool and each has their own remix of the rocket barrel theme. Rodent Ruckus and the fruit factory rocket barrel stage are especially cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Suaimhneas posted:

:stare:

This has to be a joke. Right? Holy poo poo, if I'd played the first one I think I would've had an aneurysm.

Edit: I mean the rest of the game is pretty great, but uggghhh those levels

See the first game's rocket barrel levels were REALLY touchy. Like barely flicking the button would send you skyrocketing to the top. So levels like that loving bat or the level with the gears where the things moved up and down were quite a pain in the rear end. But in Tropical Freeze the rocket barrel moves a bit slower so everything is easier to control. At least to me. The Rocket Barrel stages are some of my favorites in the whole game. Plus that level in the ice world with the rocket barrel and snowball is just COOL

Yeah I agree about the lack of mine cart levels though. In Returns each world had at least one. They are some of the best level designs. But hey, the secret world has a mine cart level combined with a rocket barrel level and it's totally not hard at all :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bayonetta is obviously not gonna be in Smash Bros, I doubt she'll even be thrown in as a trophy... but they should throw in Bowser Jr or Duck Hunt Smash reveal at the beginning anyway even though that would make no sense :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

"Her clothes occasionally peel off and reveal her sexy body"

"Why isn't Bayonetta in Smash Bros???" asks really confused nerds

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This enemy and villain designs in this game look loving sick

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Those torture attacks are hilarious

edit: Mario peakin in on Bayonetta on the youtube page like a creeper

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 4, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

Bayonneta has a giant hammer.

Day one purchase.

Dedede's Hammer DLC please

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god the Bowser hands/feet

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

I love the voiceover actors trying to be natural.

:lol: it's so bad

This partly co-op/partly competitive Tag Climax thing looks pretty cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That trailer was absolutely loving bonkers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait, somebody earlier said you can get Bayonetta 1"at a discount" if you buy Bayonetta 2 digitally? That discount is 100% right?

If you buy the Bayonetta 1 + 2 pack normally it's $59.99. If you buy the combo digitally, it's $59.98. This is not a joke (well sort of) :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Treehouse was brilliant. It's just "here's our games. Our actual games, not just prerendered videos. LET'S PLAY THEM. FOR HOURS!" It's great, and I wouldn't be surprised if next E3 the other companies steal the idea because I think people were pretty unanimous about loving the Treehouse.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Seeing gameplay is good, I wish more companies showed gameplay when previewing their games because none of them do.

It was was even really cool that they showed gameplay of unfinished games or games that are basically at tech demo level. I felt that robot game was a disaster, but it was cool that they were willing to show it off.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rirse posted:

Nintendo Land was originally on the eShop too, but they removed it after it sold badly and they wanted to get rid of copies in stores.

Wait... what?

"Nintendo Land isn't selling well. Let's take it away so it doesn't sell at all!" :confused:

I know Nintendo but huh?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Kapp'n song remix for Smash Bros may be the best song on the soundtrack :swoon:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

13/f/cali posted:

Alternately, it would have been nice of Nintendo to announce this beforehand and spread awareness of the notification checkbox instead of going "well you should have done that" after the fact.

At least now I know why I've been missing out on things like this every time. My checkbox is ticked now.

I am pretty interested in the Wii U version but will probably skip the 3ds version. I don't feel like I need both, and I'd rather wait for the Wii U one.

Portable Smash is enough to get me to play both. I mean, the WiiU is pretty portable anyway because you can just plug it in anywhere there is an outlet and just play on the gamepad. But I can't realistically bring my WiiU everywhere, so having Smash in my pocket anytime is just the best. I still want that sweet sweet HD Smash though. Some of the models on the 3DS version look really good, but some look awful. Duck Hunt's model looks TERRIBLE in my opinion but I have no doubt it's gonna look far better on the WiiU

edit: It's the model I don't think looks that good. Duck Hunt looks like a fun character to play. Before I get hung for blasphemy :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

I really can't beat them faster than 200 seconds, I even hit them twice this time.

E: I'm on the wizard dude with like 150 to go, is that even fast enough? All these dudes spend so loving long in invincible modes, it's dumb as poo poo. I hate boss rushes.

Go into the stage with two bells. I'd do the snakes first since they can take the longest, but still, try speed it up. You say you can't beat them in less than 200 seconds, and you're given 500 altogether, so you gotta just try to get faster at that. There's really no other strategy besides that. Also if you start to run out of time just quit the level and jump back in, your items will reset back to before you went in the level.

Everyone else is pretty fast I think. Ka-Thunk is the easiest IMO because his moves are VERY predictable.

Honestly though, if you're frustrated by the time limit in the boss rush, you will lose your mind the toad house in world Crown-Crown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

Welp, I did it and nothing happened. I have all the green stars though. Where's the final level???

You need to have all the green stars, all the stamps and have to hit the top of all the poles in all the levels. Once you do that you'll be able to get into the final world. Be sure to look for any hidden stages or houses you may have missed

• Locked thread