Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

A dead body is one of the extremely few things that cannot be sexualized, because by pure human nature we dislike looking at dead people or even considering having sex with them. Sure you could say a advertisement that utilizes a female corpse in a compromising position is inappropriate, but in a video game were it's simply part of the atmosphere it's entirely inappropriate. If you have zombies on a beach, some of the woman zombies are going to be in Bikini's, this is not some agenda to sexualize the dead woman, but to keep the tone consistent. It would be stupid to make every female corpse on a beach wear normal clothes or a 1 piece. It would also be equally stupid to have a dead prostitute in a whorehouse be dressed like she is going to a business meeting.

This is simply not true, it is a good gut instinct to be repulsed by sexualized bodies, but the depiction of bodies are often undistinguishable from non-moving characters.
The choice of setting is not irrelevant to the discussion here. The choice of setting and tone is explicitly stated as a part of the trope. So the criticism is of the necessity of violence and level of violence to set tone. Essentially the question of good storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

Most good story telling upsets people, life isn't pretty, nice, happy and unoffensive. A game with whorehouses should absolutely have woman in said whorehouses look like whores, because it would be dumb not to.

The first point implies that you find that the exemplified games to have good story and tone. But I disagree in the sense that there is simply an element of shock, a cheap effect to give a gut reaction, but empty of message.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Fluo posted:

So the d&d picture thread has just caught wind of this and don't seem to have the full story to say the least...

Please enlighten them. Everyone needs to know the truth about this

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Everything is over for gamers..............OR IS IT?!
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

I know the guy who wrote this and I can confirm that this is 100% true. Video game companies are pretty loving livid at journalists pissing on their audience instead on doing real reporting. EA apparently is pretty angry that coverage of the sims 4 is being pushed back by lovely SJW bullshit.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

When Quiet was revealed in the first MGSV trailer Anita and co freaked out because Quiet is a stealth operator in a Bikini, despite knowing nothing about the character because we only saw her for 10 seconds in a trailer they deemed it the equivalent of a million sexual assaults on woman collectively.

Please link

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I thought depression quest was pretty cool and well made for a CYOA book.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

After thinking a bit about it, maybe gamer is a pretty dumb thing to identify as. I like a lot of things more than games

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Sure Zoe may have done some dumb things, but then again, High school drama is always dumb and why should I give sad boyfriend so much credit

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe the journalists involved are overreacting, but then again, I've rarely felt that I've been tricked by them into buying a bad game and while the quality of some of them is bad, I can always find another one that I enjoy

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

The quality of the writing of the journalists that is

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

And depression quest is probably above the median quality of titles released on steam, and released in a finished state for free

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

And since I do not personally suffer from depression I cannot judge if it misrepresents the issue, but at least it tries to tackle a serious subject in a respectful way.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

It was good that she apologized for the damage she did to the game jam, a concept of which I found a little bit dumb, but I will respect their wishes and consider her part in it forgiven.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Jombo posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/295810/

Look up the bro team youtube of it.

I have seen the game in whole and appreciated it. I do not particularly like the bro team videos, I find that their critique of minecraft was lacking, and in general they seem to be a comedy show.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

She looks a little goofy, but I have friends that look and dress worse and they are good people. Gabe Newell is extremely ugly, but has done a lot to make gaming on PC better, so I will not judge by appearance alone.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Denim Dude posted:

you talking about zoe quinn? she didn't apologize at all she shifted blame to her followers.

This was not what I took home from tfyc's statement.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I must say that I enjoy Phil Fish. I have not personally played Fez, but it looks wonderful and I should probably play it, since I enjoy puzzle platformers. His tweets to Total Biscuit (a man who has made some very funny and dumb statements in the past, but who I also respect for his honesty and integrity, and who I hope will live for many years to come) were hilarious and I wish him well being and happiness in all his endeavours.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Infidelity and personal sexual morality is a tricky subject. The standards we think we can hold up when wishing for a partner are not necessarily the ones we can hold up within a relationship. I am very happy that I never have, and probably never will have, my personal life scrutinized in front of thousands of people.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Denim Dude posted:

TFYC only mentioned that they spoke. they didn't mention at all what the conversation was about. you can infer that they came to terms with each other but he didn't mention he got an apology.

her is her offical statement, http://ohdeargodbees.tumblr.com/post/96115946094/final-thoughts-on-this-whole-kerfuffle

i thought it was a little distasteful that she didn't say something along the lines of "i have a lot of followers and in the future i should keep that in mind before i accuse a company of transphobia" or something along those lines.

i don't really care about games, games journalism of TFYC. i'm one of those jerks who wants to see zoe quinn publicly humiliated for being a scummy abusive gaslighting hypocrite. i want to see her forcibly ejected from the SJW crowd for being toxic. i'm an rear end in a top hat.

I believe this is the sentiment of many people, and it is indeed the attitude of an rear end in a top hat. I don't think that things necessarily becomes more funny because the butt of the joke gets ridiculed ad infinitum. Humor is about novelty, and I can certainly think of people who do not deserve the magnitude of scorn they receive (best example would be Chris Chan), and comedy suffers from it.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I will say that I am disappointed, and has said so before, that people cannot see that much of the humor comes from the lunatic-like intensive attention to minutiae in age old tweets, posting horrible ramblings from people with no ability to convey a message effectively, and lazy parroting of old jokes or parodies of songs sung extremely badly.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Denim Dude posted:

i don't need to see her ridiculed. just called out.

This has already been done.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Denim Dude posted:

it doesn't matter if its been done. they've circled the wagons and are defending her, and like i said i won't be happy until everyone realizes she is a piece of poo poo, so it needs to be done more. i'm an rear end in a top hat.

Good that you have some introspection going on, but you have no real moral ground to stand on.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I guess in the end I have more love than hate for the human Zoe Quinn, who i've never met and whose personal life affects me very little.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8AzX1XIij4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

Actually it's in an incredibly valid complaint. One of the largest criticisms of internet social justice communities is their double standards in how they pick and choose their battles, taking some claims seriously while ignoring others that don't fit their agendas quite so smoothly. One such common complaint is that men are treated with unfair standards when a woman victim is involved and that no one thinks it would be the same if the shoe was on the other foot, and then low and behold right in the wake of the scandal involving the creator of cards against humanity that was ostracized over a dubious at best claim there's a claim against a woman with a lot more evidence and everyone doubles down and calls the criticism misogyny. In order to gain really any semblance of trust back from the casual reader they pretty much need to throw zoe under the bus then back up over her a few times before peeling off.

"I care about nothing but want to shame a person" is not valid.

• Locked thread