Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have maybe 800 games from the 80s in a box. Most of them for the Commodore64 and a few for MSX.

I have not played them, and I don't plan to play them.

Looking back, all videogames you buy are pure expense, zero inversion. Even the videogames you are enjoying are probably not very good.

In a few years, once the "fresh smell" dies and you where able to have a objective opinion purelly on the game alone, you will conclude that most games are not very good.

If game journalist where good, they would use the 1-3 scale. Few games will score more than 3, and games scoring more than 5 will be only one in a 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Musket posted:

but do you identify as a gaymer or just a human being?

digital diogenes syndrome

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Radical posted:

didnt she need 2 people to help her make her computer CYOA? whos actually asking her how to make a vgame lol

The point of making games is releasing them, not how you manage. If you could make a game by using macros in excel, thats fine. Programming is usually required to make games, but with interactive fiction is possible that some people will be able to make games just using the tools at they disposal, maybe getting help in packaging by having somebody make the installer.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Shadoer posted:

So what should we call them other than Social Justice Warriors?

Social Justice Warrior,

because language is created when is necessary, and abandoned when is not.

SJW just fit with this crop of journalist and tumblerites that preach on the public feminism, but they do so in a way that don't tolerate any disagrement

while at the same time they gently caress each other, promote each other things and money things.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fooling around in Google, I have found this article from Leigh Alexander, the boss editor of Gamasutra and one of the authors that want to kill gamers.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_111/1359-Growing-Up-Gamer.2

This article helps visualize with she hate modern gaming. When she was young, she used to play a lot of videogames with his dad, but her dad grown tired of videogames becuase their evolution from whimsy to phony did not appeal to his tastes.

Again, his siters where at first his Player 2, but she grown to ignore games again.

So Leigh Alexander hate modern games because she fell games have separate her from his sister and dad. She had a awesome thing with his dad and sister, but games stoped being fun. The last games she liked, where probably in the 80's.

This is a person with a lot of contacts, one of these that can have your host remove your website with a single phone call. And she hate modern gaming.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fandyien posted:

feminism is good

it can be instrumental to have scripts that are not poo poo and characters that surprise you because are not the same cliche we have seen a million times

also diverse body-shapes is good. some people like lolitas, other people like big tits, other people like flacas. we only get like 1 type of women. More variety would even make the graphics of game better, by giving different style and emotions for womens.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

game journalist is a public service.

they connect gamers with games. they help propagate hype, and they do some criticism too.

things like steam, the ios app store, android marketplace, etc... are a race to the bottom, where devs can only put 1$ of effort into the next game. and gamers will put much less than 1$.

you need journalist to fight that, so quality can speak by themselve, and not be buried in the 894441th position of a app store like steam

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

precision posted:

how come the same people who laugh at "vidya games cause violence in teens!" take seriously claims that "vidya games make people sexist!"

no seriously, how come?

This is how normal people looks like.

The Social Justice Warriors want us to be normal. But being normal is a lot of work. And is not fun. You have to stop doing all the fun thing, and start doing a lot of boring things. So normal is not fun at all.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anyone that know anything about computers know a filter is completelly retarded poo poo.
- The people that you want to stop will jump over it
- Everyone else life will just become slighly more lovely

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

if the number of posts goons make about them is an indicator, zoe quinn is the most important woman in history

Thats Danielle Bunten, one of the creators of M.U.L.E.

Tei fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 4, 2014

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I want to make a low-effort game based on this. but I am too lazy to even raise my arm to the keyboard.

Anyway heres the idea:

One Dimensional Sandbox

Made in HTML.

On the screen (that is painted dark blue) you see a bright gray line and a dot. You can move that dot to the left of the right.

Using HTML5 audio api, the page generate a audio landscape based on what is on the landscape.

On the bottom of the page theres some buttons:

[PLAY VICTIM]
[DIG DEEPER]
[TROLL]
[KILL EVERYTHING]

If you uses Play Victim, you change the "landscape", so the final aural scape will change. Using play victim will seed a "baby cryiing" audio in that point.
Dig Deeper will seed cave sounds.
Troll will seed fire sounds.
Kill Everything will remove all sounds around the nearby area and replace it by forest sounds or the original sounds (beach, forest, city)

You will be able to move in this 1D landscape. So every 300ms javascript will recalculate the audio landscape based on what nearby sounds exist. The whole landscape will connect in the borders, so the topology will be a circle.

I will use HTTP_REFERER to detect the forum source. SA users will have a extra button to say "GET OUT". Reddit users will be able to say "BAZINGA!". Users will be able to see each other in this aural landscape.

So I have a well defined idea, that only require some HTML and a bit of server side to store the aural landscape "tiles".

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

1D games has been done before. But they still rely on monotonous 2D cues, or cues that make sense in 2D universes. I think I can do better by using aural cues. 1D + Stereo = 3D.

If a flawed person like ZQ was able to make that HTML game and put it in steam I don't see why somebody like me can't. Except I can't hardly have my hand over the keyboard to type the required html to make it happen. If I fail, ZQ is better than me.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 5, 2014

• Locked thread