Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ages posted:

So is Depression Quest any good?

Patrick Klepek really likes it.

So no, probably not. Hence the sleeping with game reviewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Literally The Worst posted:

This guy sounds like a party though.

Probably the best addition that Giant Bomb has ever made, though, to be fair, the bar is set pathetically low because they hired Patrick "I am super sensitive and here's a Spelunky Stream" Klepek to their staff and didn't insist he stop working for them when he moved to Chicago.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

Who would steal a Blackberry in 2014

Anti-Luddites?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Iirc the whole gamespot review scandal where their frontpage was covered in Kane & Lynch mudflaps and billboards was in like 2006, and it's arguably gotten a lot worse since then

Reminder that Polygon got $750,000 from Microsoft to do a documentary on how Polygon was going to change reprinting press releases games journalism.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Paladinus posted:

You lot talking about independent game journalism and integrity forget that TotalBiscuit exists. Now imagine a dozen of TotalBiscuits setting up a news website.

Wake me up when the Angry Joe Show and his imitators band together to pretend to be mad about video games while wearing leather jackets inside like it is a thing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

horriblePencilist posted:

They gave Gone Home a 10/10 and The Wonderful 101 a 6/10

10/10, I was told to like this despite the fact it isn't a game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The General posted:

Where is this extension? It sounds magical :allears:

If there's one that replaces Patrick articles with "Dan Rykart shouldn't be able to survive without 24 hour supervision" stories I will be super happy.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Generally pretty harsh when it comes to reviews compared to US based sites.

Re: Gone Home it seemed to feed an awful lot off of reviewers all being late twenties early thirties people super nostalgic about US alt culture/video games in the 90's. It seemed to be one of two things which every review gushed about.

I don't think there was a single review that wasn't "And there are grunge band posters and Super Nintendo cartridges everywhere," and then the rest of the article was the result of them mashing their keyboard during a five minute orgasm over anything that looks like games from 20 years ago made by small dev teams. Yes, Risk of Rain is really fun with friends, it doesn't mean I need a million words about how great 2D side scrollers are these days.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Pretty much. The whole point of the game was telling a coming out story set in the 90's.

Honestly I don't know what kind of scale you can use to base Gone Home on, but for what it was trying to do it did it serviceably.

Go and grab someone who reviews Japanese Visual Novels and have them cover this game. They'll be disappointed they can't choose to have sex with the 8 year old looking girl who is supposed to be 1200 years old, but them's the breaks when you work at Kotaku.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

hating on gone home has become such a popular exercise that the cool thing to do is like gone home, again.

gone home is good now.

I played Gone Home yesterday because of all the haters. And by that I mean I read the wikipedia page on the game to get the full experience. And by read I mean I skimmed it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I give the Wikipedia article a 9/10. Good use of pictures, no big words.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rad Tad posted:

sis gay. so what

Stay Safe Gay Sis

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

precision posted:

Again, I think quite a few people including myself liked it because the story of your little sister discovering punk rock and independent identity in the 1990s resonated with them. Reducing it to "your sister is a lesbian" is disingenuous.

It's not really a game is probably the bigger issue, considering you go around reading the 90's version of audio logs no one likes in any game on the market and then seeing posters for bands that are just like the game: overhyped garbage.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Brown Menace posted:

you should audibly hear the largest champagne bottle in the world popping open in the distance when it happens, no worries

It'll be all over the internet because he seems like the exact kind of person who will talk to anyone who will listen about how his first amendment rights were being trampled because Jeff Gerstman finally realized Klepek was a complete drag on the company.

Don't let the trolls win featuring Zoe Quinn was a goddamn PAX panel. Being involved in that is a good reason to fire anyone.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The General posted:

How the hell is Miyamoto not #1? :psyduck: Who was #1?

With the way the video game industry works right now it was probably the Oculus Rift Team or something equally dumb. There's never been a good case for why anyone should want it, but everyone in games journalism is pushing the hell out of it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Forums Barber posted:

I'm probably just jealous, though, whereas mortals have to touch the screen of their phone to start Twitter, she can wave her hand around near it for about ten seconds until it finally works.

Zoe Quinn uses an Xbox One for a phone?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Spanish Manlove posted:

i'm curious about this too

Based on other people's notes on her videos, it appears she doesn't play games and instead browses the Longplays.org site to find games that have women in them. This lack of understanding led her to drop some points of praise on Bayonetta because she thought the main character was a strong single mother.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Didn't someone leak one of Anita's college presentation videos where she admits she didn't like videogames and never really played them or something, i remember the NOT A TRUE GAMER crowd acting like it was the piece of evidence that would destroy her. nothing happened so i dunno if it was even real or not, but people sure got really mad over it.

I think it was just her general lack of knowledge about the situations she was citing in her videos that gave it away and then she later admitted she wasn't into video games.

The problem with using that against her is that it really doesn't matter if she plays games or not, I can still point out sexism on a TV show I don't watch based on a clip on YouTube, it works the same way for games. The problem is that she's trying to tell people who do know about these games why they are sexist and getting facts wrong, or over emphasizing a single scene from the game as if it is a repeated scenario. Because of that it's sort of like when CNN picks up on a viral video two weeks after it was popular and the reporter tries to sound like they are interested or knowledgeable about the thing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It matters in that she lied about it, and that now she, a non-gamer, is being asked by game developers to help them make their games. It'd be like if somebody made a commentary about how there's an issue of race in the NFL (why no Asians!?), but doesn't actually watch football or know anything about the game, and is then paid by the NFL to make a team (all Asians!) without any knowledge of what makes a functioning team.

Diversity is bad now? I don't think it's a problem that you consult someone who doesn't play games on how to make your games less sexist or to approach female characters differently than the largely male staff of most video game companies would.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rabble posted:

Wait wait wait, patreon is a website where you give someone a monthly payment for absolutely nothing??

What the gently caress

Well, you're supposed to tie payments to content creation. A blogger would get paid a set amount per article, or a YouTube person would get money for each video or something like that. Zoe Quinn decided that she deserved a salary from her Patreon and so just draws money from it every month because Reddit post and Tweets don't count as content.

Diversity in and of itself isn't bad, but mandated diversity is kind of obnoxious. Like, you ever seen a PSA from the 90's or better yet, a driving instructional video for teens? You have one white kid, one black kid, one Asian kid, and one Other, usually two/two gender ratio split, and they all speak like 40 year olds tried to write for teenagers.

Yeah, I was a member of the Burger King Kids Club as well. Wheelchair kid was a scientist but they had a tree house. Very problematic.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lightanchor posted:

Am I crazy, or was his name Wheels

Of loving course it was, the PC 90's being described by the Karate Kid were really bad at being PC. Proof: Why the Black Power Ranger gotta be black? Why was the Asian girl the yellow one?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Germstore posted:

Instead of a traditional fighting game I'm going to make one with only women but instead of fighting directly it's all intrigue trying to ruin your social group's opinion of your opponent- and I started this as a joke but it sounds great actually.

Isn't this what Skullgirls is? I know it's some form of fighting game with only women or something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

juliuspringle posted:

Where is the game jam for guys who have ideas but don't know how to make games? I want to make a game about genderless grey blobs but I don't know how to code.

You know what's a really loving stupid idea? Game Jams. I think Zoe Quinn is a better person for killing that one Game Jam, even if she did it to benefit her own dumb Game Jam.

Game Jam.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I just really fear that developers will start taking this poo poo seriously themselves, and make every single game about loving...I dunno, the plight of Mary the Secretary trying to level up into her Accounting firm, while struggling with being sexually assaulted by her boss and unable to report it without losing her job to support her only child, a mixed race boy named DeQwan who she has trouble relating to since his father abandoned them after his birth, and ended up in jail for slinging her-on on the streets of West Baltimore.

The SJWs would have a field day suggesting that DeQwan's father was black and a drug dealer who wouldn't stick around for his kid.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kaiju15 posted:

So other than being a shitbird to that Forbes writer, what did Ben Kuchera do wrong again?

I think it's more a mercy killing than a "Ben Kuchera did this thing we don't like" movement.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Xachariah posted:

The real hosed up thing about it all is apparently the whole "indie gaming" thing wasn't ever a widespread movement, the indie gaming revolution was all just some incestuous hipster group in San Fransisco hyping each other up.

Good, I thought I was weird for not giving a flying gently caress about low effort "retro" garbage.

I guess you don't understand that Indies are the only developers making interesting games that big companies are too afraid to do; that's why you need approximately 600 platformers with 8-bit graphics and a dozen uninteresting Diablo clones.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pastry of the Year posted:

There is literally nothing keeping "video game journalism" economically viable apart from nerds at work who would rather be at home playing video games.

The funny part is that some sites have figured that out and are now glorified YouTube channels. Giant Bomb had people basically congratulating Nintendo for not doing E3 press conferences and wondered when the other major companies would cut video game news outlets out completely and just go right to the consumer.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

CSM posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while now: what he hell is a "game jam"?

A gathering of people who have made games you've never heard of and never want to play attempt to make a single game you'll never hear of and never want to play really fast.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Musket posted:

this poo poo is still going on? when will this poo poo end?

When it isn't easy to get tons of clicks on your 200 word articles about the slightest update to the Quinn thing or the fallout/"'gamers' are over" thing.

I don't know anyone who would ever self identify as a "Gamer." Was that even a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slanderer posted:

this conspiracy is bigger than any of us could have thought...

Who the gently caress is Jentar? Was she the one who was clearly buddies with the Gone Home person?

• Locked thread