Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's because the government want to make it look like they're doing something about Iraq and Syria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If the government really wanted to scare people, it would make out to be protecting people from the imaginary threat of "tumblr fangirls," apparently.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

DoctorWhat posted:

From the Doctor Who World Tour Q&A in Rio:

Capaldi's FAAACEEE

(He went on to admonish the silent crowd with the phrase "And you call yourselves Doctor Who fans)

I love how Steven Moffat is the only one who gets it

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
The immediate Dalek episode is probably to shore up Capaldi as the Doctor. Tumblr boogiemen aside, this isn't an easy transition for kids.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Pure awesome.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it's the kind of uncanny valley thing. A collapsing human with a sheen of robot parts over them and a voice that's human somewhere at its base but is somehow off and unsettling, something they've just missed at for most of Doctor Who's run.

I don't think the cloth mask Cybermen would really work in HD (the giant lamps they carry around are also about as silly as that Sempaphore Version of Wuthering Heights Python sketch), but an update to that kind of thinking in their design would do wonders to making them a bit more menacing.

I don't know what you do about the Daleks, though.

Technophobia gets a bit silly when it's just reactionary "ahh new technology is scary! everybody's got hands-free phones!" As has been said, when you really consider certain implications of technology, as in Black Mirror, the horror gets so much closer.

Bring back the sing-song voices IMO, but make them sound like dial-up internet. It's a statement innit

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Radio Times official poster for the next episode.

Hell yes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

But seriously, who actually thinks Daleks are scary?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Radio Times official poster for the next episode.

Hell yes.

Oh. OH. I didn't think about the title that hard until seeing that. That's pretty cool, actually.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I like Davros as a character at least half of the time he's used, I think.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

Daleks CAN be menacing. They haven't been in a long time and it's easier to play them as a farce nowadays, but they can be.

Best example?

Genesis of the Daleks, nearly the last goddamn scene, that loving monologue. Especially with hindsight in full effect- the Doctor tries to put a spin on how far he set back the Daleks, never knowing he just kicked off a war that would burn the universe.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Josh Lyman posted:

they are badass as gently caress

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The Daleks would be a hell of lot more scary if the nu Who writers would remember that their goal is the eradication of all other species, not just the Doctor and Earth.

If they would actually present them as these alien menace that one day show up on your planet and begin to slaughter everybody without mercy I think they would legitimately scary. So basically, kind of how the Cybermen where used in Nightmare in Silver.

But because they always ever just fight the Doctor and are thus only really able to kill a couple of supporting characters at best, you never really get a sense of the sheer scale of slaughter a Dalek attack would actually entail.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 29, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Josh Lyman posted:

Daleks are like angry dwarves with guns - very farcical, but still very dangerous.

Bicyclops posted:

I like Davros as a character at least half of the time he's used, I think.

Davros was definitely one of the high points of the S4 finale.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

e X posted:

The Daleks would be a hell of lot more scary if the nu Who writers would remember that their goal is the eradication of all other species, not just the Doctor and Earth.

I'd really like them to play up this aspect of the Daleks. Especially because we know they aren't going to succeed at exterminating the Doctor/earth.

Best Dalek moment in nu Who is their response to the cybermen's request for an alliance.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheChad posted:

Best Dalek moment in nu Who is their response to the cybermen's request for an alliance.

Dalek/Cyberman trash-talk was the high point of nu Who in general.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheChad posted:

That whole scene comes off like Terrance Dicks snuck in and 'borrowed' RTD's computer for a few minutes. "Fuckin' Cybermen, I'll show Eric bleedin' Saward..."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

e X posted:

If they would actually present them as these alien menace that one day show up on your planet and begin to slaughter everybody without mercy I think they would legitimately scary. So basically, kind of how the Cybermen where used in Nightmare in Silver.

But because they always ever just fight the Doctor and are thus only really able to kill a couple of supporting characters at best, you never really get a sense of the sheer scale of slaughter a Dalek attack would actually entail.

You mean like the series one finale?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gaz-L posted:

Oh. OH. I didn't think about the title that hard until seeing that. That's pretty cool, actually.

I thought they'd be going into the Dalek's head - its mindspace. Like that episode of Transformers Prime, instead of that episode of Transformers G1.

But hey, we haven't had a miniaturization story (on TV) since The Invisible Enemy, if I'm not mistaken - so we're overdue.

Speaking of The Invisible Enemy, Revenge of the Swarm from Big Finish turned out to be really really good. It's got Lightcycles and Jet Set Willy jokes and the Nucleus being a ham the size of a planet. And Sylvester turns in one of his best performances ever with Big Finish, partly because he's actually in the drat thing. Like, for 75% of the runtime!

I was pleasantly surprised.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Invisible Enemy of course turning out to be some kind of krill

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Invisible Enemy of course turning out to be some kind of krill

It's less an invisible enemy and more a really shrimpy one.

In Revenge they play up the Nucleus's inferiority/napoleon complex wonderfully. It's way better than Enemy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

e X posted:

So basically, kind of how the Cybermen where used in Nightmare in Silver.

Nightmare of the Daleks and the Asylum of the Cyberman would be way better episodes than what we got.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Next up on the "get around to watching DVDs of things I've watched the recons for" is THE ICE WARRRRIORSSSSSSSSSSS (which owns).

Although the blurb says

quote:

While episodes Two and Three remain lost (search everywhere please - yes, even in there)

which sounds really disgusting and I'm not sure I want anyone to find them now

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

which sounds really disgusting and I'm not sure I want anyone to find them now

Look, if you have to search in Wales, YOU SEARCH IN WALES.

So with the Doctor back up on the telly, I put my Big Finish listening on hold…mainly because the Divergent Universe burned me out.

Is it bad that my hands are shaking a little bit when I look at my copy of The Juggernauts on my CD rack, thinking to myself “oh, a little Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford couldn’t hurt, just a wee nip…”

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Dalek/Cyberman trash-talk was the high point of nu Who in general.

This is old, but it's still all I'm going to think about if I ever watch that episode again:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean like the series one finale?

I guess you mean that as a counterpoint to me, but the finale is actually a good example for what I mean. The Daleks return and invade ... a broadcasting satellite above Earth and kill a couple of supporting characters before they get defeated.

I don't even think you need to show the Daleks attack, simply show the aftermath of an attack.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

e X posted:

I guess you mean that as a counterpoint to me, but the finale is actually a good example for what I mean. The Daleks return and invade ... a broadcasting satellite above Earth and kill a couple of supporting characters before they get defeated.

I don't even think you need to show the Daleks attack, simply show the aftermath of an attack.

There is also the scene where they descend on earth and it sounds like they kill everyone.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

To be honest, I rather like this idea. It has legs.

Times like this, I miss Tegan.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I like the Daleks best, personally, when they're portrayed less as "scary in terms of raw military might" and more "scary because they're disgusting and pathetic". Then again, I like Daleks in Manhattan, so others may recoil from that barometer.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I think that Asylum's reveal of Clara's fate wouldn't have been as great if all the Daleks were Cybermen instead. Being turned into a humanoid robot doesn't quite hit the same body horror peak as being turned into a limbless box on wheels.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Android Blues posted:

"scary because they're disgusting and pathetic"

The show's gotten a lot of good mileage out of that, to be fair-

Android Blues posted:

Then again, I like Daleks in Manhattan, so others may recoil from that barometer.

:catstare:

(aside: I liked Asylum of the Daleks a hell of a lot more the second time around)

e:

Potsticker posted:

I think that Asylum's reveal of Clara's fate wouldn't have been as great if all the Daleks were Cybermen instead. Being turned into a humanoid robot doesn't quite hit the same body horror peak as being turned into a limbless box on wheels.

Poor Cybermen. They've got one good trick and the Daleks do it better than them. :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bringing back the Robomen and making them even creepier was great. Easily the best part of Asylum. Hopefully that sticks around.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Potsticker posted:

Eh, to me they are basically interchangeable as head in a jar pseudo-robots with no emotions. They really should have kept more of the humanity of Cybermen to differentiate them as cyborgs rather than dubiously "is it just basically just a brain/set of lungs in a suit like that gross scene from the new Robocop, but they can't control their suits?"

Also do the Cybermen actually need a human anything if they're just going to act like non-autonomous robots? They could be fully robots and it would make no difference to how they act.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

But hey, we haven't had a miniaturization story (on TV) since The Invisible Enemy, if I'm not mistaken - so we're overdue.

I wish I could be like you and forget the filler sequences in The Armageddon Factor. The only moment I've ever enjoyed the cast being shrunken was in Planet of Giants when Hartnell realized he could start fires in a whole new way. :flame: :3:.

On the other hand...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DoctorWhat posted:

Depends if you count Night Terrors as literally putting the characters in the dolls house in the cupboard I think.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Depends if you count Night Terrors as literally putting the characters in the dolls house in the cupboard I think.

No, Night Terrors is definitely a miniaturization story. No doubting that.

I just generally don't count Night Terrors at all.

I have frequently stated that I despise Night Terrors, and that I loathe it so completely mostly because I couldn't remember anything about it within five minutes of it ending. Of course, the usual internet-comic-exaggeration schtick applied. I remember the old lady falling into the trash bags; I remember Matt Smith making all the toys spin around and light up; I remember there was a dog in it, I think?

But here's the deal:

Even considering the above, and even considering that not two days ago I made a very public statement on my Tumblog that Night Terrors is my most-hated New Who story...

I still, in all sincerity and honesty, completely forgot about it until just now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

QUOTE IS NOT EDIT

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wasn't Night Terrors a great story about how adopted children are "real" children of their adoptive parents?

That's what I remember being the takeaway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Wait, why are we suddenly talking about Night Terrors? I can barely remember that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I expected better from the man who namedropped Colin Baker to Lindalee. :colbert:

• Locked thread