Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would have no problem with Bencic or Jankovic making semis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I would have no problem with Bencic or Jankovic making semis.

Me neither, I will defintely watch the Bencic vs Jankovic match in the 4th round.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Gulbis down two breaks in the 5th set against Thiem (after taking the first two sets of the match). I think he'd be the first top 20 seeded male to go out so far.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

colonel_korn posted:

Gulbis down two breaks in the 5th set against Thiem (after taking the first two sets of the match). I think he'd be the first top 20 seeded male to go out so far.

This match was so sad to watch. Basically brothers having to off each other so early in the tournament :/

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Kvitova out in straights to a qualifier. Weird how she never seems to be able to get it going at this tournament.

e: Milos stop trying to play at the net, you are not good at it :sigh:

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 30, 2014

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I dont watch much tennis, but is Raonic always this slow and lumbering? I really want him to win (being a fellow Canuck and all), but I dont see it happening the way he is playing. :(

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah his movement is pretty bad. Sometimes it's not a huge issue but today and in his last match it's been really noticeable. I think he'll get by today but this calibre of play isn't going to cut it in the next round against Nishikori.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The second set of this Bouchard/Strycova match is just ugly. Soooo many UEs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

The second set of this Bouchard/Strycova match is just ugly. Soooo many UEs.
The match was ugly, but Genie looks :swoon: in that dress.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know it's not her fault but every time Bouchard plays I kind of want her to lose because her fans are super creepy.

Edit: the commentators creaming themselves over Kyrgios is almost as bad, but to be fair he is clowning Robredo right now

Edit 2: loving four aces in a row, ok he deserves it

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 31, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Old man Tommy can't keep up with Kyrgios.

e: second serve ace on break point. Woah.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 31, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Robredo is clawing his way back, but I think this has definitely been the most entertaining match of the tournament so far, Kyrgios is fun to watch.

Edit: Robredo with zero unforced errors in that set, makes the previous match look even sillier

This is like Rocky V, isn't it

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 31, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Good grief, all the American men out already. And all the women aside from Serena. Pretty disappointing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know it's not her fault but every time Bouchard plays I kind of want her to lose because her fans are super creepy.

Edit: the commentators creaming themselves over Kyrgios is almost as bad, but to be fair he is clowning Robredo right now

Edit 2: loving four aces in a row, ok he deserves it
At least on the Tennis Warehouse forums, their fans aren't super creepy. :confused:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Everybody on the Tennis Warehouse forums is mentally ill.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Everybody on the Tennis Warehouse forums is mentally ill.
Yeah, but it's the best kind of mentally ill.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Petkovic, Lisicki, Goerges, Kerber, Barthel — all gone before the 2nd week has even started. Bummer.

The New Yorker has something on the guys who are stringing the racquets for Federer and lots of other pros:

quote:

During matches, Federer changes racquets each time the balls are changed, which happens after the first seven games and then every nine games thereafter. Nine racquets would be more than sufficient to see him through his opening match. The already strung rackets were arranged in a row against a dresser. Each had a small piece of white tape on its throat indicating the day it had been strung and the level of string tension. Federer had texted Yu the night before with his specifications: he had asked for three racquets to be strung at twenty-six kilos (“Roger wants it in kilos, not pounds,” Ferguson explained), five at 26.5, and one at twenty-seven. Spools of racquet string and rolls of grip tape were strewn across the dresser.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/stringing-roger-federers-nine-rackets

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 31, 2014

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Masha vs Wozniacki coming up and later Bencic vs Janković. :chord:

I think most of the matches so far has been pretty disappointing quality wise. Time to pick this poo poo up now going into second week!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

fancyclown posted:

Masha vs Wozniacki coming up...

I think most of the matches so far has been pretty disappointing quality wise. Time to pick this poo poo up now going into second week!

This one's kind of delivering so far. Getting a little testy out there now, I very much hope Wozniacki wins it.

edit: Awesome point to break. Wozniacki has really found her fire again these past few months.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 31, 2014

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Glare Seethe posted:

This one's kind of delivering so far. Getting a little testy out there now, I very much hope Wozniacki wins it.

Holy gently caress what a point for the break! Go Wozniacki!!

EDIT Masha is grunting so loud and long now. Some points she doesn't stop it when the ball is on Carro's courtside either. :bahgawd:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 31, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OMG WOZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That better be on Sportscenter Top 10.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Old Wozniacki is back! She gets everything back right now. :yayclod:

TENNIS.com @Tennis posted:

Clouds coming in, by the way. Not sure this match is in danger, but all others probably are.
:smithcloud:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 31, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fancyclown posted:

Old Wozniacki is back! She gets everything back right now. :yayclod:
I'd like to see her go for the lines a little more instead of throwing everything down the middle. Sharapova can make errors, sure, but she also doesn't hesitate going for cross court winners.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd like to see her go for the lines a little more instead of throwing everything down the middle. Sharapova can make errors, sure, but she also doesn't hesitate going for cross court winners.

Hitting winners down the line isn't exactly Wozniacki's style of play. ;)

EDIT She's done it! Great match for Wozniacki :yayclod:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fuckoff: Shriekapova

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Good riddance. All my favorites are out anyway so gently caress it, I guess I'm behind Wozniacki for the title. Why not.

edit: Or Safarova, actually.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 31, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

It was nice to see Woz get a good win under her belt :)

I think it's crazy that Federer gets his match cancelled when they are planning to play more matches on that same court.

e: They decided to not cancel Federer's match. Weird.

e2: and Dimitrov gets his match bumped off to Grandstand but Lopez/Thiem could be a long match...

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 1, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Hoping on the Wozniacki bandwagon. That was sweet.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I dunno what happened for him to lose the first set, but Federer has just utterly dismantled Granollers through the last couple.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, Federer would have probably have pulled it back regardless, but it did feel like an act of God was on his side...

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Looks like Bencic might get it done, Jankovic is starting to melt down.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo Bencic :D

She looked really calm out there, unlike JJ.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Makarova has enough power that she could take out Bouchard. Halfway through the first set for them right now.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Tiebreaker time :ohdear:

e: yikes, Makarova crushed it. Dunno if Eugenie is gonna pull this one out.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 1, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bouchard looked like she was playing slightly less garbage tennis for a moment, but Makarova is overpowering her and Bouchard can't seem to retrieve anything.

Also gently caress this crowd cheering for faults

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 1, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Lot of support for Murray out there as he goes two sets up. This is more like the old Murray.

Good match so far.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Can someone explain to me why Bouchard is a thing?

She's not likeable, her game is nothing to write home about and, while she's certainly not ugly by any means, there's plenty of players on tour who are at least equal, if not better, in the looks department.

I don't get it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

From the way some of these returns have gone, she might make a good softball player.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ColdBlooded posted:

She's not likeable, her game is nothing to write home about and, while she's certainly not ugly by any means, there's plenty of players on tour who are at least equal, if not better, in the looks department.

I don't get it.
She's young, hot, and speaks English natively. This alone would garner her attention.

She's done well at the slams. Since so few people pay attention to tennis outside of the slams, the fact she's done poorly at them doesn't really matter, especially since she's now ranked top 10.

The way she plays, taking the ball early, gives the impression that she's an exciting power player, but I posted a few times in the Wimbledon thread about how it's just the illusion of power.

It's not just enough that she's attractive, but she's also white/blonde/tall. Her proportions give her more sex appeal than even Sharapova.

She's basically the shiny new version of Sharapova, and while Sharapova may not appeal to you personally, everyone understands why she's popular.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

ColdBlooded posted:

I don't get it.

reminder that anna kournikova was a thing

• Locked thread